Characters Name: Blink

Alternate Identity: Nadia Batalova

Height: 5'4"

Weight: 110lbs

Hair: Black

Eyes: Dark Brown

Blink_alt_color3.jpg

Description:

Nadia is an attractive young woman with the thin athletic build of a gymnast. She has a fluid grace about her that's nearly hard to believe unless it is seen. Her hair is dark and shoulder length complimenting her large eyes that look far more innocent than they are.

Her natural body is quite petite and very fit. It is very out of place with her enhanced mutated strength and has taken many people by surprise. Even though she normally appears very serious or businesslike, her looks make her appear younger than her 23 years.

When she is not on a mission, she tends to wear utilitarian clothes, eschewing function for form. For many days, this would be loose fitting cargo pants, and a tight athletic short sleeved top. Even on a mission she had no formal costume, never having thought such things were necessary. Of course, being able to morph into other looks might have something to do with this. While she's not adverse to showing skin, she does tend to dress in more covering clothes, typically athletic wear.

History:

Through a twist of fate Nadia was born April 26th in the town of Chernobyl just as reactor #4 went into meltdown. At the precise moment of her birth, she was exposed to massive amounts of radiation which irrevocably altered her DNA. Her mother grew sick from the overpowering radiation and died shortly after Nadia's birth. That left her to grow up with her father, a Spetzsnaz trainer stationed in Afghanistan. He made the long trip back to both bury his wife and collect his newborn daughter.

His services were deemed valuable enough that they acquiesced to his requests of allowing Nadia to live with him on base as he headed back to Afghanistan. With few children her own age living there, she spent most of her time going through the same training regimen that the soldiers did. As she grew, so too did her mutant legacy and she took to the harsh physical conditioning like a fish to water. Her father a hard, but loving man, encouraged the behavior seeing her potential from an early age.

Excerpt from Freedom Ledger January 10th

Today Nadia Batalova, known to some residents as Blink was released from South River State Penitentiary. She had served her full 18 months having multiple altercations with both inmates and staff. Warden Ermanos had this to say, “while we are not convinced Mrs. Batalova is rehabilitated, she has served her term and will be released on her own recognizance. We hope that Mrs. Batalova will make better choices in the future, however we assure the residents of Freedom City that we will be monitoring her situation closely.â€

By the time she was 12 she could beat most of the soldiers in hand to hand combat and was an avid risk taker. After the Soviet Union pulled out of Afghanistan, Nadia and her father traveled from base to base to introduce his training to a larger section of the army. His superiors had long since recognized her talent, and the value that both Nadia and her father brought to the army. She likely would have continued to live thus, training soldiers with her father, and following his footsteps into the army.

In 1998 Russia, formerly a state in the USSR, collapsed economically. By the later part of the year, her father had gone without pay for over six months. With little choice left to him, he retired from the military and used the last of his funds to secure passage for him and his daughter to the US. The ex soldier found little meaningful work in the states and bounced from job to job before settling in Freedom City.

Years later, after struggling though all aspects of life, Nadia finally grew into all of her gifts. Her father encouraged her to embrace them and as she had trained her martial skills, so too did she train her new found abilities. Yet for all the discipline and rigors of that side of her life, she still craved excitement and challenge that were not found in the menial labor that she and her father could find.

She desperately missed the excitement and danger in combat and began participating in underground fight circuits. It was there, while pitting herself against some of Freedom City's best that she found the challenge she craved. She refrained from using any of her active powers and relied on the extensive training that she had received.

It didn't take long before word of her skills and talents reached the ever present eyes of the mob. A few thugs made her an offer that seemed wondrous to her; an apartment for her father, and money to cover the seemingly endless bills. All she needed to do was steal some files from a corporation. The fact that it was a company that had stiffed her father for several days of hard labor made the decision all the more easy.

There was little to remember of that first job, other than a rush of excitement that she hadn't experienced since their days in the military. It was like an addict returning to a drug, and from then on she was hooked. For a couple of years she worked exclusively for the mob until the jobs they began to offer made her uncomfortable. She had little qualms stealing, but she didn't see herself as a common thug or a killer.

Parting ways semi amicably, she started her new life as contract thief and mercenary. It let her keep control of the jobs she took, and she carefully screens each one; for both excitement and payouts. Her record has been decent, but more often than not, she has been sidetracked by heroes, police, or anything else that catches her fancy. It's been enough to keep her father retired and living well while she has a modest, almost Spartan life.

Personality & Motivation:

Nadia is a professional soldier, and it shows in most of her reactions and personality. She is very serious and often has trouble recognizing jokes or sarcasm. She tends to be very focused on the task at hand and dislikes people who don't plan ahead for contingencies. Even with this amount of forethought, she absolutely craves excitement and challenge, and has found herself in compromising situations because of this.

She tends to be a person of her word, and will do what she can to keep a promise. She is incredibly protective of her father and when he is threatened or in need, she will do anything to make sure he is taken care of.

Even though she has no objections to killing or injuring someone, it is not something that she has ever wanted to do. In fact, she has avoided jobs and tasks in the past which would have had excessive body counts. Still, when backed into a corner, she will use every means at her disposal to achieve her goals.

While she misses the orderly life in the military, and her home in the Soviet Union, she realizes that those days are likely gone forever. While she has no predilection for communism, she does equate the former super power with a simpler time in her life. She visits when she can and maintains many friendships both in the military and around the various bases she had been stationed at. In the past she has occasionally done jobs for the Russian Army when they had need of critical intelligence or technology and see's little conflict of interest in helping the Russian bear regain its former glory.

She questions whether or not she could ever be called a hero, and wishes to remain out of the spotlight. When asked about her exploits, she will always downplay them, or give credit to other members of her team.

Complications:

Thrill Seeker: Nadia will attempt many things if they present enough of a challenge. She routinely does things that saner people would avoid all in the name of the next rush.

Prison Record: Nadia has spent several stints in the State Penitentiary for both assault and theft.

Won't back down: Nadia relishes a challenge, even one she won’t likely win. She can be easily goaded into a fight or other stupid challenges. She will only attempt escape when defeat is all but certain and if there will be severe enough repercussions for loosing.

Trouble Seeker: Nadia often will involve herself in the problems of others, even when not asked.

Family Ties:Nadia's father lives in Freedom City and much of her criminal career has been to get money for him to repay him for all he had done for her.

Mob ties: While Nadia doesn't work exclusively for the mob any more, once you are in, you are always in.

Crisis of Confidence: Nadia is not convinced she's a hero and views all heroes with suspicion. She has a hard time trusting the people who were once trying to put her behind bars.

Stats: 24pp

Str: 14/22 (+2/+6)

Dex: 18/30 (+4/+10)

Con: 16/24 (+3/+7)

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 16 (+3)

Combat: 26pp

Attack Bonus: +5 / +10 Melee

Defense Bonus: +14 / +4 flat footed (+8 Base Defense)

Grapple: +20 / +33 (Blinking Grapple)

Knockback Resist: -3 / -1 flat footed

Saves: 8pp

Toughness: +7 (+7 Con, +0)

Fortitude: +8 (+7 Con, +1)

Reflex: +10 (+10 Dex, +0)

Will: +7 (+0 Wis, +7)

Skills: 56 = 14pp

Acrobatics 5 (+15)

Bluff 8 (+11/+15 attractive)

Concentration 5 (+5)

Diplomacy 2 (+5/+9 attractive)

Disguise 2 (+5/+20 Morph)

Drive 1 (+11)

Escape Artist 1 (+11 /+24 Blinking Grapple)

Knowledge, Streetwise 4 (+4)

Knowledge, Tactics 5 (+5)

Language 1 (+1 English, Russian Base)

Medicine 5 (+5)

Notice 8 (+8)

Search 3 (+3)

Sleight of Hand 1 (+11)

Stealth 5 (+15)

Feats: 37pp

Acrobatic Bluff

All Out Attack

Ambidexterity

Attack Focus, Melee 5

Attractive 1

Chokehold

Defensive Attack

Dodge Focus 6

Elusive Target

Evasion 1

Grappling Finesse

Hide in Plain Sight

Improved Critical 2 [unarmed Attack]

Improved Grab

Improved Grapple

Improved Pin

Improved Throw

Improved Trip

Power Attack

Prone Fighting

Redirect

Sneak Attack 4

Stunning Attack

Equipment 1

Powers: 47pp

Enhanced Constitution 8 [8pp]

Enhanced Dexterity 12 [12pp]

Enhanced Strength 8 [8pp]

Morph 3 (Mutable Looks; Broad Group [people], Alternate Powers: 1) [7pp]

AP 1: Concealment 2 (Mutable Looks; Sense [sight])

Teleport 3 (Blink; Extras: Accurate; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Progression Mass 2, Turnabout; Alternate Powers 1) [15pp]

AP 1: Elongation 10 (Blinking Grapple; Flaws: Limited 1 [Grapple and Escape checks only])

Super Senses 2 (Danger Sense [Mental]; Uncanny Dodge [Mental]) [2]

Drawbacks: 0pp

Contributing 4ep to the following shared equipment:

Interceptors HQ: [21ep]

Size: Large; Toughness: 10; Features: Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Concealed 2, Defense System, Fire Prevention, Garage, Gym, Living Space, Holding Cells, Infirmiry, Power 2, Power System, Security System 2, Workshop

Defense System 1: Snare 10

Power 1: Healing 9 (PFs: Persitant, Regrowth) [20pp]

Power 2: ESP 6 (Visual, 20 mile range [all of Freedom City]; Extra: No Conduit; Flaw: Medium – Surveillance equipment; PFs: Subtle, Rapid) [14pp] AND Quickness 9 (Flaws: Limited to Search) [3pp] AND Quickness 9 (Flaws: Limited to Notice) [3pp]

MAVERIC (Mobile Armored Vehicle for Emergency Response and Intercepting Criminals): [13ep]

Size: Huge [2ep]

Strength: 35 [1ep]

Speed: 5 [5ep]

Toughness: 10 [1ep]

Defense: 8 [0ep]

Features: 4 [4ep]

Features: Alarm, Caltrops, Remote Control, Smokescreen

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

Unarmed --- 21/Toughness --- Bruise

Abilities (24) + Skills (14) + Feats (37) + Powers (52) + Combat (26) + Saves (8) = 161/162pp

Stats: 20pp

Str: 10/18 (+0/+4)

Adds up

Defense Bonus: +13 / +4 flat footed

Grapple: +28

Adds up. But if you could add "(Base Defense +8)" at the end of the Defense line it would help future edits.

Saves: 6pp

Fortitude: +7 (+7 Con, +0)

Will: +6 (+0 Wis, +6)

Adds up.

Skills: 40 = 10pp

Acrobatics 5 (+15)

Disguise 0 (+3/+13 Morph)

Drive 1 (+11)

Escape Artist 1 (+11)

Knowledge, Streetwise 2 (+2)

Knowledge, Business 2(+2)

Language 1 (+1 Russian)

Notice 8 (+8)

Search 4 (+4)

Sleight of Hand 1 (+11)

Stealth 5 (+15)

Adds up

Feats: 39pp

Acrobatic Bluff

All Out Attack

Ambidexterity

Attack Focus, Melee 5

Attack Specialization 4, Grapple

Attractive 1

Chokehold

Defensive Attack

Dodge Focus 5

Elusive Target

Evasion 1

Grappling Finesse

Hide in Plain Sight

Improved Critical 2

Improved Grab

Improved Grapple

Improved Pin

Improved Throw

Improved Trip

Power Attack

Prone Fighting

Redirect

Sneak Attack 4

Stunning Attack

Adds up

Powers: 49pp

Enhanced Constitution 8

Enhanced Dexterity 12

Enhanced Strength 8

Morph 2 (Mutable Looks; Broad Group [people], Alternate Powers: 1) [5pp]

Teleport 3 (Blink; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Progression Mass 2, Turnabout; Extras: Accurate; Flaws: Short-Range; Alternate Powers 2) [16pp]

AP 1: Teleport 7(Concentrated Blink; Feats: Progression Mass 1, Extras: Accurate, Flaws: Long Range; Drawback: Action 1 [Power Use])

AP 2: Strike 1 (Whirling Dervish; Feats: Mighty, Extras: Area Burst [targeted], Selective Attack)

Everything looks good except for the teleport array.

The base power costs 11 points. Base cost per rank 2 x 3 ranks = 6 +5 power feats = 11 points

Secondly, the AP'd teleport has a few problems as well. Firstly and most importantly, having similar powers with opposing flaws really doesn't create a worthwhile flaw. It would be like having:

Flight 6 Flaw: Only at night

AP: Flight 6 Flaw: Only during the day

Secondly, I don't know what you mean by this: "Drawback: Action 1 [Power Use]"

Thirdly, I believe that Whirling Dervish costs too much to go in the array. When adding an extra onto strike w/ mighty, you need to buy enough to "support" your strength as well. So it would cost 12 in this case. Furthermore, it may cost even more because you have sneak attack, but I'm honestly not sure if that's the case or not.

Abilities (20) + Skills (10) + Feats (39) + Powers (49) + Combat (26) + Saves (6) = 100pp

Typo. Adds up to 150.

Everything looks good except for the teleport array.

The base power costs 11 points. Base cost per rank 2 x 3 ranks = 6 +5 power feats = 11 points

Secondly, the AP'd teleport has a few problems as well. Firstly and most importantly, having similar powers with opposing flaws really doesn't create a worthwhile flaw. It would be like having:

Flight 6 Flaw: Only at night

AP: Flight 6 Flaw: Only during the day

Secondly, I don't know what you mean by this: "Drawback: Action 1 [Power Use]"

Thirdly, I believe that Whirling Dervish costs too much to go in the array. When adding an extra onto strike w/ mighty, you need to buy enough to "support" your strength as well. So it would cost 12 in this case. Furthermore, it may cost even more because you have sneak attack, but I'm honestly not sure if that's the case or not.

Ok I did have a typo in there, I forgot to add in Extra: Affects Others. I was told I would need that to port people with me. I'll get that in there. I show it at 14 points + 2 for the AP's. I think that makes it work.

What I was trying for on the Teleport, was one setting where she can blink around short distances, and another where it takes more than a round to blink and she can go longer distances. I thought an AP was the way to go, but I can see your point. Let me know how to handle that. The Drawback is the extra turn to use Drawback.

Also let me know on the Sneak Attack. Hero Labs liked it, but that means little.

Okay, talked to the other refs.

First, to clarify normally using the long range teleport is a full round action. If you add in the Duration drawback, then it would take a full minute (10 rounds) to use, and would only net you 1 point.

Secondly, having "Short range" and "Long range" teleport AP'd off of one another is a no-no, at least in their current form. If there were additional flaws or extras to differenciate them, or if they weren't both accurate, I would classify it as a "maybe".

Thirdly, for Whirling Dervish, you'll have to pay for the potential damage from sneak attack just like you would for a higher strength or strike rank. IE:

AP: Strike 1 (Whirling Dervish; PF: Mighty; Extras: Area Burst [targeted] 10*, Selective Attack 10*) [22pp]

* Strike 1 + 4 from Str + 5 from Sneak Attack = 10

Lemme look the powers over some more, and I might have some suggestions to what you can tweak to get it all under budget. But, you might have to cut some stuff and then add it back when you start playing and earning power points.

Alright then. It'll be something you add on later then. In the mean time, let's give blink 2.0 a once over.

Stats: 20pp

Str: 12/20 (+1/+5)

2+8+6+6= 22 not 20.

Defense Bonus: +13 / +4 flat footed (+8 Base Defense)

Grapple: +28

Adds up.

Saves: 6pp

Fortitude: +7 (+7 Con, +0)

Will: +6 (+0 Wis, +6)

Adds up.

Skills: 44 = 11pp

Acrobatics 5 (+15)

Concentration 3 (+3)

Disguise 2 (+5/+15 Morph)

Drive 1 (+11)

Escape Artist 1 (+11)

Knowledge, Streetwise 2 (+2)

Knowledge, Business 2(+2)

Language 1 (+1 Russian)

Notice 8 (+8)

Search 3 (+3)

Sleight of Hand 1 (+11)

Stealth 5 (+15)

Adds up.

Feats: 39pp

Acrobatic Bluff

All Out Attack

Ambidexterity

Attack Focus, Melee 5

Attack Specialization 4, Grapple

Attractive 1

Chokehold

Defensive Attack

Dodge Focus 5

Elusive Target

Evasion 1

Grappling Finesse

Hide in Plain Sight

Improved Critical 2

Improved Grab

Improved Grapple

Improved Pin

Improved Throw

Improved Trip

Power Attack

Prone Fighting

Redirect

Sneak Attack 4

Stunning Attack

Numerically adds up, but I caught something this time that I didn't last time. Attack Specialization 4 (grapple) can't stack with Attack Focus Melee 5. It's probably why you have a fiendishly high grapple modifier for a low strength character. Unless I'm mistaken it only adds to attack rolls, not to grapple checks, and as such, breaks caps. I suggest getting Super-Strength Flaw: Limited to grapple checks to get the boost to grapple checks if you still want it. You could give it the training descriptor and not have it be one of your powers, but you do have enhanced Strength as well so the choice is completely up to you.

Powers: 46pp

Enhanced Constitution 8

Enhanced Dexterity 12

Enhanced Strength 8

Morph 2 (Mutable Looks; Broad Group [people], Alternate Powers: 1) [5pp]

Teleport 3 (Blink; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Progression Mass 2, Turnabout; Extras: Accurate; Flaws: Short-Range) [11pp]

Super Senses 2 (Danger Sense [Mental]; Uncanny Dodge [Mental]) [2]

Adds up.

So currently:

22+26+6+11+39+46= 150 power points. But you've got those 4 points from the Attack Specialization feats to move about.

Well here is the discussion on this board:

http://endlessflight.net/freedom/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=138

Although after looking it up after you pointed it out, I read that Steve Kenson mentioned that Attack Specialization was indeed an attack roll and subject to the caps.

So I could add in the following power:

Super Strength 8 (Limited 2 [Only applies to Grapple Checks]) [4]

Which would net me the same bonus, and let her keep up with the Super Strength characters... let me know if that's legit. If it's not something you want, or feel that's it's bending the rules let me know and I'll go back to the drawing board. I have other ideas that I'd be just as happy working on. I'm still deciding if I'd call it enhanced training, or something like Teleport enhanced grappling... it kind of fits.

Edit: I'll make the other changes when I hear on what you want with this.

Edit 2: If I call it teleport enhanced grappling I could put it into the teleport power as an AP and leave me with 3 points which would probably bump Fort, Will, and 4 ranks of skills.

I'd also bump it to Super Strength 10 (Limited 2 [Applies only to Grapple Checks]) which would give me a +30 Grapple which I think is the limit of PL x3.

Edit 3: As for explaining why teleporting helps her grapple. Since the Grapple check is just to get a hold, she's blinking away from her opponents grasp into a position where she can use leverage to it's maximum advantage. When her opponent tries to respond to that, she blinks into the next spot where she can continue to apply the hold.

Ok. Talked it over with the other refs.

Instead of doing Super Strength, go with Elongation (Flaw: Limited to helping with Escape Artist & Grapple checks) [0.5pp/rank], as that deals more with applying and acquiring proper leverage as opposed to pure brute strength.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...