Freedom City PbP Ideas

Endless Flight

Is the intention that people can just join games as they happen? I don't quite see how this is different from normal play-by-post.

It's nice, though, to finally find 4-color "pretty-much-any-concept-goes" games. Way too many M&M recruitments these days are for people who start "regular" or "normal" then get powers. I find almost no reason to want to play those games other than boredom.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the intention that people can just join games as they happen? I don't quite see how this is different from normal play-by-post.

It's nice, though, to finally find 4-color "pretty-much-any-concept-goes" games. Way too many M&M recruitments these days are for people who start "regular" or "normal" then get powers. I find almost no reason to want to play those games other than boredom.

No, the intention is to start a game when you want to start a game. You don't have to wait for a GM to start a game. If you can find another player who wants to be a villain and you want to be a hero, or vice versa, that's all you need. The referee can provide the filler.

Yes, this forum's motto is 'Let's PLAY!'

:)

No, the intention is to start a game when you want to start a game. You don't have to wait for a GM to start a game. If you can find another player who wants to be a villain and you want to be a hero, or vice versa, that's all you need. The referee can provide the filler.

technically once we get this game up and running you don't even need to find another player who's playing a villain if you wanna play your character just play your character.

Which actually speaking on that topic I think the ref's might want a few city events that they control...like large scale doomsday device type things. The main villain would be an npc and he could recruit from the ranks of player villains in the game and of course it would be up to the player heroes to stop it and all.

that kind of thing from time to time I think might spice up the city, especially when we're just getting started and don't have many players...

technically once we get this game up and running you don't even need to find another player who's playing a villain if you wanna play your character just play your character.

Which actually speaking on that topic I think the ref's might want a few city events that they control...like large scale doomsday device type things. The main villain would be an npc and he could recruit from the ranks of player villains in the game and of course it would be up to the player heroes to stop it and all.

that kind of thing from time to time I think might spice up the city, especially when we're just getting started and don't have many players...

I am a Character Judge for 'Living Supers' on Enworld and I can tell you some problems I have come up against.

Nested Arrays arrays within arrays. For example having a Alternate Form array one is a Flame elemental, one is a being of psionic energy etc etc. Each for has thier own arrays like Fire Control, Telekinetic array etc. This ends up being incredibly point efficient.

Multiple Metamorph this can be a variation on the above, but I have had a couple players submit concepts where the are essentially 6 different characters in one using the Metamorph option on Morph. Sometimes this is a great concept. Often though these player characters end up able to handle almost any situation in game and you have to check, approve and keep track of many character sheets. Add alt powers to the mix and it is a nightmare.

Flaws that are worthless My prime example would be Requires Skill Check a -1 flaw and the character ends up only needing to roll a one to fail (assuming a nat one is auto failure) because thier skill bonus is so high.

Another is the Action Flaw when applied to Containers like Alternate Form . Normally a Free Action slap the Action flaw on it to make a Full Action and you can get 100pp for a cost of 40pp make it Device Powered and it goes down to 30pp or 20pp!

Zero Base Attack and Zero Defense Not the most Gamebreaking thing but just a pet peeve of mine now. You NEVER see official builds do this even if they are statting children or parapalegics! Then somehow this Zero Natural Talent Character got loads and loads of Attack and Dodge Focus. Why? Simply because it is Point efficient. Point System Chargen brings out the point crunching twinkies in all of us. Hell I used to do it but I have since seen the error of my ways.

Now imagine a character with all of this...Because I have had one submitted to me!

Now Enworld's reaction is to vote to just veto or ban any power feat or rule that starts giving them trouble.

I like Steve Kenson's approach that somethings work with some character builds and some dont (like Skill Check required) and just like to use best judgement, common sense and judicial amounts of GMs perogative.

Multiple houserules banning stuff outright may inhibit and limit valid concepts and alienate potential players.

I also suggest having a second pair of eyes for reviewing characters. I did solo duty as the Character Judge for over a Year and as good as I am it ALWAYS helped to have a second person look it over and was thankful to finally get someone to do it.

Anyway thats my 2cents

I am a Character Judge for 'Living Supers' on Enworld and I can tell you some problems I have come up against.

Nested Arrays arrays within arrays. For example having a Alternate Form array one is a Flame elemental, one is a being of psionic energy etc etc. Each for has thier own arrays like Fire Control, Telekinetic array etc. This ends up being incredibly point efficient.

Multiple Metamorph this can be a variation on the above, but I have had a couple players submit concepts where the are essentially 6 different characters in one using the Metamorph option on Morph. Sometimes this is a great concept. Often though these player characters end up able to handle almost any situation in game and you have to check, approve and keep track of many character sheets. Add alt powers to the mix and it is a nightmare.

Flaws that are worthless My prime example would be Requires Skill Check a -1 flaw and the character ends up only needing to roll a one to fail (assuming a nat one is auto failure) because thier skill bonus is so high.

Another is the Action Flaw when applied to Containers like Alternate Form . Normally a Free Action slap the Action flaw on it to make a Full Action and you can get 100pp for a cost of 40pp make it Device Powered and it goes down to 30pp or 20pp!

Zero Base Attack and Zero Defense Not the most Gamebreaking thing but just a pet peeve of mine now. You NEVER see official builds do this even if they are statting children or parapalegics! Then somehow this Zero Natural Talent Character got loads and loads of Attack and Dodge Focus. Why? Simply because it is Point efficient. Point System Chargen brings out the point crunching twinkies in all of us. Hell I used to do it but I have since seen the error of my ways.

Now imagine a character with all of this...Because I have had one submitted to me!

Now Enworld's reaction is to vote to just veto or ban any power feat or rule that starts giving them trouble.

I like Steve Kenson's approach that somethings work with some character builds and some dont (like Skill Check required) and just like to use best judgement, common sense and judicial amounts of GMs perogative.

Multiple houserules banning stuff outright may inhibit and limit valid concepts and alienate potential players.

I also suggest having a second pair of eyes for reviewing characters. I did solo duty as the Character Judge for over a Year and as good as I am it ALWAYS helped to have a second person look it over and was thankful to finally get someone to do it.

Anyway thats my 2cents

Anyway thats my 2cents

Anyway thats my 2cents

Anyway thats my 2cents

I hear and am thankful for a second opinion about how to do this kind of thing.

but yeah I know what you mean, when I was approving characters for Macross I got butt tonnes of amnesiatic orphans who all wanted to be the best pilot in the fleet drove a motorcycle and carried a katana...oh and were scarred across the eye or the nose or both.

As far as twinking out characters goes I'm more than willing to send someone back a message basically saying 'your character build is twinked, I know it is and so do you and it won't be fun for other players if I let you in as you are so rework it and send it back to me.'

Also as a general rule I tend to disallow someone having more ranks in attack focus or specialization than they have in base attack. and I'd be willing to say the same thing for base defense and dodge focus.

The second pair of eyes thing is a great idea too...wanna come help?

but yeah I know what you mean, when I was approving characters for Macross I got butt tonnes of amnesiatic orphans who all wanted to be the best pilot in the fleet drove a motorcycle and carried a katana...oh and were scarred across the eye or the nose or both.

As far as twinking out characters goes I'm more than willing to send someone back a message basically saying 'your character build is twinked, I know it is and so do you and it won't be fun for other players if I let you in as you are so rework it and send it back to me.'

Also as a general rule I tend to disallow someone having more ranks in attack focus or specialization than they have in base attack. and I'd be willing to say the same thing for base defense and dodge focus.