Freedom City PbP Ideas

Endless Flight

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey y'all, I'm in. I'm interested in being a refree and a co-character judge if that's okay. I'm not very interested in playing for now at least, maybe later, and then probably a villain (unless we end up with a flood of those of course). Previously I've been a DM for well over a year on a Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds server that had well over 100 players and often up to 20 players online, biggest event I ran lasted for over 12 consecutive hours (though I had plots running for months) where over 40 players joined in, actually maxing out the server's limits with nobody wanting to leave before it was all over. Heh, I actually crashed the server and had to start it all up again soon afterwards... Anyway, that was actually pretty similar to what you got here, only in a different medium - though we did have PbP based games as well adding to the world - with tons of GMs all moderating the world pretty much at the same time, dropping in whenever needed to adjucate one thing or the other or to add stuff and enhance a player's experience. Most of the GMs were also players, and were actually recruited from the best among the player ranks.

Oh, and most of you know me from Groovy Gamers, and although my record of actually keeping a game running is approaching downright abyssmal hopefully I've earned a few points there on basic GM'ing, and with several other GMs available here to pick up the pieces after me, I think things should work out fine. :lol:

Barnum hit the nail on the pp for posts thing. Instead I'd suggest that each refree is able to hand out points for specific instances of good decent roleplaying, be it in a single massive post or a 20-40 post one-line private discussion between two players that played out really well. To restrict it a bit perhaps each refree only have a limited number of points they can hand out each week, 5 or so maybe, of which each should preferably be handed out to seperate players. Next there could be two ways of handing out pp, one being after specific events, where a player would get 1 point just for being involved in the event, 1 point for good roleplaying and 1 point for creative play, by the book as if it had been a regular session. 'Events' may mean many things of course, but in general it should basically be an adventure, either a standalone like the mentioned bank robbery, or one in a series such as a mastermind trying to take over the world, be it a PC mastermind taking part in it or PC heroes trying to stop him. And lastly each month all the referees would get together and talk about the overall roleplaying of each player, bringing up whoever they've noticed has done really well. If everyone agrees that character is then given a certain point amount, probably between 3 and 15 points on a case by case basis, with 5 being the norm. It would be in these instances we'd vote on whether or not the power level of the character should be increased. Note that this rewards two things, good role playing and actively creating and participating in Player events, be it 'let's go rob the bank' 'let's take over the world' etc. Another thing to note is that since superheroes are in general reactive and has to wait around for supervillains to show up or a disaster to happen to do their thing, the villains will usually have a easier time at it gaining event points, thus be more powerful than the heroes, another genre staple. In return there's the jail thing, since a PC super villain will usually not try to outright kill a PC superhero it means that the heroes will usually have a greater chance of success, as a defeated hero is just someone who's had a minor setback and need to break out of that deathtrap to get after the villain and save the day... but a supervillain's setback could entail months if not years in prison, especially once someone wises up and starts improving those prisons. Yet another genre staple, and one that could even out the villain/hero thing, even before you get to the fact that villains hardly ever cooperates effectively.

Okay that was a huge paragraph, sorry. Anyway I got a bunch of other ideas on how it could be done, so if you like the above ones lemme know...

Hey y'all, I'm in. I'm interested in being a refree and a co-character judge if that's okay. I'm not very interested in playing for now at least, maybe later, and then probably a villain (unless we end up with a flood of those of course). Previously I've been a DM for well over a year on a Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds server that had well over 100 players and often up to 20 players online, biggest event I ran lasted for over 12 consecutive hours (though I had plots running for months) where over 40 players joined in, actually maxing out the server's limits with nobody wanting to leave before it was all over. Heh, I actually crashed the server and had to start it all up again soon afterwards... Anyway, that was actually pretty similar to what you got here, only in a different medium - though we did have PbP based games as well adding to the world - with tons of GMs all moderating the world pretty much at the same time, dropping in whenever needed to adjucate one thing or the other or to add stuff and enhance a player's experience. Most of the GMs were also players, and were actually recruited from the best among the player ranks.

Oh, and most of you know me from Groovy Gamers, and although my record of actually keeping a game running is approaching downright abyssmal hopefully I've earned a few points there on basic GM'ing, and with several other GMs available here to pick up the pieces after me, I think things should work out fine. :lol:

Barnum hit the nail on the pp for posts thing. Instead I'd suggest that each refree is able to hand out points for specific instances of good decent roleplaying, be it in a single massive post or a 20-40 post one-line private discussion between two players that played out really well. To restrict it a bit perhaps each refree only have a limited number of points they can hand out each week, 5 or so maybe, of which each should preferably be handed out to seperate players. Next there could be two ways of handing out pp, one being after specific events, where a player would get 1 point just for being involved in the event, 1 point for good roleplaying and 1 point for creative play, by the book as if it had been a regular session. 'Events' may mean many things of course, but in general it should basically be an adventure, either a standalone like the mentioned bank robbery, or one in a series such as a mastermind trying to take over the world, be it a PC mastermind taking part in it or PC heroes trying to stop him. And lastly each month all the referees would get together and talk about the overall roleplaying of each player, bringing up whoever they've noticed has done really well. If everyone agrees that character is then given a certain point amount, probably between 3 and 15 points on a case by case basis, with 5 being the norm. It would be in these instances we'd vote on whether or not the power level of the character should be increased. Note that this rewards two things, good role playing and actively creating and participating in Player events, be it 'let's go rob the bank' 'let's take over the world' etc. Another thing to note is that since superheroes are in general reactive and has to wait around for supervillains to show up or a disaster to happen to do their thing, the villains will usually have a easier time at it gaining event points, thus be more powerful than the heroes, another genre staple. In return there's the jail thing, since a PC super villain will usually not try to outright kill a PC superhero it means that the heroes will usually have a greater chance of success, as a defeated hero is just someone who's had a minor setback and need to break out of that deathtrap to get after the villain and save the day... but a supervillain's setback could entail months if not years in prison, especially once someone wises up and starts improving those prisons. Yet another genre staple, and one that could even out the villain/hero thing, even before you get to the fact that villains hardly ever cooperates effectively.

Okay that was a huge paragraph, sorry. Anyway I got a bunch of other ideas on how it could be done, so if you like the above ones lemme know...

each month all the referees would get together and talk about the overall roleplaying of each player, bringing up whoever they've noticed has done really well. If everyone agrees that character is then given a certain point amount,

I like this idea. It sounds like a good way to handle things.

a PC super villain will usually not try to outright kill a PC superhero

That brings up another question. "Is the game lethal or non-lethal? I ma not sure we can do both, can we?

each month all the referees would get together and talk about the overall roleplaying of each player, bringing up whoever they've noticed has done really well. If everyone agrees that character is then given a certain point amount,

That brings up another question. "Is the game lethal or non-lethal? I ma not sure we can do both, can we?

Thanks.

By the way I don't agree with the varying starting PL, but that may just be me since everyone seems okay with it. I got an alternative for you however; since M&M2e clearly seperates Power Points and Power Level we could play around with that a bit. Say the base PL everyone should start at is 8, that's a good reckoning for a inexperienced/new hero. If you want to play someone who's got vastly more power but little less actual training you can add +1 PL for a certain PP cost. But you can also reverse that, and drop your Power Level to gain points in return, for an experienced street-level character who who doesn't have nearly as high potential as the other but still needs way more points for all his [motif]gear, cars and planes, not to mention tons and tons of combat feats. I'm not sure how much points a power level is worth, but let's say 10 for now; One player wants to make Superman, so he makes a PL 12 character with (12 - 8 x 10) 40 points less than a PL 8 character (which doesn't necessarily have to be the standard 120 points). But another wants to play Batman, so he makes a PL 6 character with 20 points more than normal. Now in a straight up fight the PL 12 character is going to mop the floor with the PL 6 character simply due to the difference, but the PL 6 character is going to have tons and tons of more options, hence the apparent eternal question among superhero fans as to who would have won in a Superman vs Batman fight.

Anyway, it's just an idea that I've been concidering. It strongly suggests that everyone should start at the same PL and thus be balanced towards each other since both options will hurt a character a lot (the PL loss more than the PP loss probably), but if you got a concept that needs more points or should be more powerful, then the option is there.

Thanks.

By the way I don't agree with the varying starting PL, but that may just be me since everyone seems okay with it. I got an alternative for you however; since M&M2e clearly seperates Power Points and Power Level we could play around with that a bit. Say the base PL everyone should start at is 8, that's a good reckoning for a inexperienced/new hero. If you want to play someone who's got vastly more power but little less actual training you can add +1 PL for a certain PP cost. But you can also reverse that, and drop your Power Level to gain points in return, for an experienced street-level character who who doesn't have nearly as high potential as the other but still needs way more points for all his [motif]gear, cars and planes, not to mention tons and tons of combat feats. I'm not sure how much points a power level is worth, but let's say 10 for now; One player wants to make Superman, so he makes a PL 12 character with (12 - 8 x 10) 40 points less than a PL 8 character (which doesn't necessarily have to be the standard 120 points). But another wants to play Batman, so he makes a PL 6 character with 20 points more than normal. Now in a straight up fight the PL 12 character is going to mop the floor with the PL 6 character simply due to the difference, but the PL 6 character is going to have tons and tons of more options, hence the apparent eternal question among superhero fans as to who would have won in a Superman vs Batman fight.

Anyway, it's just an idea that I've been concidering. It strongly suggests that everyone should start at the same PL and thus be balanced towards each other since both options will hurt a character a lot (the PL loss more than the PP loss probably), but if you got a concept that needs more points or should be more powerful, then the option is there.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks.