Freedom City PbP Ideas

Endless Flight

This is for all you villinously-inclined people: I was thinking that perhaps in lieu of making a bunch of mastermind type characters, we could collaborate on perhaps some of us creating more "labor-intensive" villians. (Read: henchmen) If that sounds like something you might be interested in, meet me at a new board I'm creating on General Disscusion called Wrongdoers, Inc.

Villians of the world, unite! :D

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is for all you villinously-inclined people: I was thinking that perhaps in lieu of making a bunch of mastermind type characters, we could collaborate on perhaps some of us creating more "labor-intensive" villians. (Read: henchmen) If that sounds like something you might be interested in, meet me at a new board I'm creating on General Disscusion called Wrongdoers, Inc.

Hi, everyone. I saw your post over on the Atomic Thinktank and had to check it out. This looks like a great idea, as it will provide players with lots more options than a standard game. For instance …

I have an amphibious hero who really is at his best in the water. Such characters can be virtually useless in a group game that doesn’t hit the right settings. But here, he would have a chance to be in his element.

I plan on submitting the character later today. Thanks for creating this great site! :D

Yep, there will be a forum for the ocean next to Freedom City! Hope you have fun.

Thanks for the compliment. :D

Hi, everyone. I saw your post over on the Atomic Thinktank and had to check it out. This looks like a great idea, as it will provide players with lots more options than a standard game. For instance …

I have an amphibious hero who really is at his best in the water. Such characters can be virtually useless in a group game that doesn’t hit the right settings. But here, he would have a chance to be in his element.

I plan on submitting the character later today. Thanks for creating this great site! :D

Yep, there will be a forum for the ocean next to Freedom City! Hope you have fun.

Hey everyone. Found my way here from over at Groovy Gamers, congrats on the great board and idea. I think I'll work out the site's first villain :twisted: I could also check characters, too, if needed. I've also got a few heroes and villains taking up space on my harddrive if you ever need NPC-fodder. Rock on guys, I look forward to this. :)

Glad to have you here, Blackbird. Thanks for the compliment. 8-)

Hey everyone. Found my way here from over at Groovy Gamers, congrats on the great board and idea. I think I'll work out the site's first villain :twisted: I could also check characters, too, if needed. I've also got a few heroes and villains taking up space on my harddrive if you ever need NPC-fodder. Rock on guys, I look forward to this. :)

Hello! Terrific site. I love that you are taking on this idea. I'll be watching with great interest.

We have just finished up our second year of running a game similar to what you're attempting here, though admittedly, our format is less player-driven (GM input and player input are about equal in our game). We have 3 GMs and 21 regular players (5 of whom are villains). I am interested in what innovations you guys come up with here, so that I can perhaps improve on what we are doing. Anyway, since you are taking suggestions, let me add to what's been said here with some of my experiences:

Additional Power Combos to Watch:

-Impervious. In a game like the one you're suggesting (and like ours), where lower PL characters and higher PL characters regularly interact, high levels of the impervious extra can suck the life out of an encounter for the lower PL characters, especially if you allow trade-offs. We ended up with a bit of an "arms race," with everyone buying impervious on their toughness and everyone taking ranks of penetrating.

-Luck. In a game where the players control the pace, you (the referees) should expect that in every combat the participants will be at full strength with all of their Hero Points (1 + ranks of Luck). In fact, in a game where the players control the frequency at which they have to fight, there is no good reason not to pile on the luck.

Some Things to Consider:

-Since we're on the subject of Hero Points, you will need a very precise definition of what marks the "end of a session/adventure" with respect to when HPs recycle. Every new thread? When the refs say so?

-Also, the "number of posts" method of awarding PPs just won't work given the differences in posting styles. You may very well have great writers getting on two or three times a week and writing a wonderful full-page of descriptive prose. You may also have two players get on in one evening and carry on a conversation a line at a time, thus making 20 or so posts in a few hours. Whatever the criteria you decide on for awarding PPs, it should be very specific. I would strongly recommend you avoid the "the referees will just eye-ball it" method. PPs are a reward that players should know specifically how to work toward, and PPs should reward the things you want to be happening in the game.

-You will also need a way to monitor the basic passage of time, not minute by minute of course, but some threads/stories may need to advance a month or so of game time in a week of real time, and in other threads, months of real time may pass while only a few hours of game time passes. We have "resync" schedules (about 5 a year), where everyone needs to wrap-up their threads, post a "catch up" post so that everyone gets back on the same time. It doesn't work perfectly, but it does work pretty well.

-Since not every challenge is appropriate for every hero group, if referees do run scenarios that will contain characters over which they had character-creation input, some players will end up not having any fun at all (like the mentalist who tries to play in the "all the bad guys are robots" scenario). Players should be given some heads-up as to the fitness of their particular concept to any given scenario, and referees should have the ability so reject players from their specific scenario if they just aren't appropriate.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck. I'm very excited about what you're trying here, and am watching with great interest.

Hello! Terrific site. I love that you are taking on this idea. I'll be watching with great interest.

We have just finished up our second year of running a game similar to what you're attempting here, though admittedly, our format is less player-driven (GM input and player input are about equal in our game). We have 3 GMs and 21 regular players (5 of whom are villains). I am interested in what innovations you guys come up with here, so that I can perhaps improve on what we are doing. Anyway, since you are taking suggestions, let me add to what's been said here with some of my experiences:

-Impervious. In a game like the one you're suggesting (and like ours), where lower PL characters and higher PL characters regularly interact, high levels of the impervious extra can suck the life out of an encounter for the lower PL characters, especially if you allow trade-offs. We ended up with a bit of an "arms race," with everyone buying impervious on their toughness and everyone taking ranks of penetrating.

-Luck. In a game where the players control the pace, you (the referees) should expect that in every combat the participants will be at full strength with all of their Hero Points (1 + ranks of Luck). In fact, in a game where the players control the frequency at which they have to fight, there is no good reason not to pile on the luck.

Some Things to Consider:

-Since we're on the subject of Hero Points, you will need a very precise definition of what marks the "end of a session/adventure" with respect to when HPs recycle. Every new thread? When the refs say so?

-Also, the "number of posts" method of awarding PPs just won't work given the differences in posting styles. You may very well have great writers getting on two or three times a week and writing a wonderful full-page of descriptive prose. You may also have two players get on in one evening and carry on a conversation a line at a time, thus making 20 or so posts in a few hours. Whatever the criteria you decide on for awarding PPs, it should be very specific. I would strongly recommend you avoid the "the referees will just eye-ball it" method. PPs are a reward that players should know specifically how to work toward, and PPs should reward the things you want to be happening in the game.

-You will also need a way to monitor the basic passage of time, not minute by minute of course, but some threads/stories may need to advance a month or so of game time in a week of real time, and in other threads, months of real time may pass while only a few hours of game time passes. We have "resync" schedules (about 5 a year), where everyone needs to wrap-up their threads, post a "catch up" post so that everyone gets back on the same time. It doesn't work perfectly, but it does work pretty well.

-Since not every challenge is appropriate for every hero group, if referees do run scenarios that will contain characters over which they had character-creation input, some players will end up not having any fun at all (like the mentalist who tries to play in the "all the bad guys are robots" scenario). Players should be given some heads-up as to the fitness of their particular concept to any given scenario, and referees should have the ability so reject players from their specific scenario if they just aren't appropriate.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck. I'm very excited about what you're trying here, and am watching with great interest.

Some Things to Consider:

Some Things to Consider:

Some Things to Consider: