Detective Marcus Sandoval (PL4 NPC, Tier 2)

Players Name: NPC Submitted by Angrydurf

Power Level: 4

Trade-Offs: None

Unspent PP: None

Characters Name: Detective Marcus Sandoval

Alternate Identity:

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 175

Hair: Black with a Sprinkling of Grey

Eyes: Brown

columbo.jpg

Description: Detective Sandoval is your classic perpetually rumpled detective. He normally wears grey or brown slacks that haven't been pressed since they left the store and off-white shirts usually without tie under a brown overcoat in almost any weather. He has dark black hair with more grey showing through each day that he keeps relitively short but unstyled and often unbrushed. His years and the draining magics at his command have left their mark on his face which is lined with dark circles under his eyes. He is possesed of an intense stare but usually has a somewhat distracted air rarely focusing on people he's conversing with. He is not a tall man nor exceptionally fit but not overweight either.

History: Marcus Sandoval was a curious child constantly exploring the world around him froma very young age a trait that woudl serve him well in his adult life. His grandmother always claimed there was magic in the Sandoval line and would talk about her great aunt who had been a respected witch and wise woman in the old country. Marcus was one of the few of her many grandchildren with any intrest though she had little but stories to tell and no knowledge of her own. It wasn't until some friends tried fruitless attempts at magic in high school that Marcus realized she had spoken truth. An odd boy joined thier usual group and he knew some actual magic, Marcus could tell, he couldn't say how but he knew. He also knew he wanted nothign to do with the power the boy wielded it just felt wrong to him, he tried to warn his friends but they thought he was just chickening out. Several of his friends were hurt when the boy overreached and if it hadn't been for the timely intervention of one of a magic wielding hero they likely would have died.

Once he graduated high school Marcus pursued a career in criminal justice and forensics putting aside his interest in magic in favor of science. When a series of occult murders began to spread through the Fens Marcus was just a beat cop but he could feel the power of the cult and was able to follow it from one of the crime scenes. After uncovering the culprits in the brutal slayings he was fast tracked to detective. He was assigned to a special branch of the Star Squad dealing with arcane crimes. Over his career he has tracked down quite a few demonologists and cultist of nefarious purpose. He also picked up some skill at magic himself though he is by no means a natural and he finds it exhausting it has poven usefull more than once.

After years on the Force he's approaching retirement age but can't stop until he knows theres someone to step into his shoes and keep the city safe from the things that skitter at the edge of human consiousness. He has seen much of the worst humanity has to offer in the course of his work and knows things men like him at the least are not meant to. He drowns his memories in booze but still produces results so there is only cursory complaint from supiriors about his personal habits and thus far he has managed to keep his drinking to his own time.

Personality & Motivation: Marcus Sandoval is a good cop even with his problems he's a quality investigator and well liked. He however has spent too much time on the supernatural beat and it has taken its toll on him. He has seen brutal cult slayings and sacrafices to dark gods. He has investigated forbidden tomes of twisted arcane lore in his pursuit of justice. All of this has left him with some weaknesses, most notably his drinking. However when it comes to bizzare arcane or cult activity he's the top guy at the FCPD so some eccentricity is allowed.

Powers & Tactics: Detective Sandoval normally focuses on investigation and leaves arrests to younger officers. When pushed into action he normally follows normal police procedures however when faceing an magically empowered foe he is quick to rob them of that advantage and will utilize his magic binding spell rather than chase down a perp.

Complications: Alchoholic

Stats: 14pp

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 12 (+1)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 16 (+3)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Combat: 10pp

Attack: +3

Grapple: +0

Defense: +2 (+1 flat-footed)

Knockback: -0

Initiative: +0

Saves: 1pp

Toughness: +4 (+1 Con, +3 undecover vest)

Fortitude: +1 (+1 Con, +0)

Reflex: +0 (+0 Dex, +0)

Will: +4 (+3 Wis, +1)

Skills: 76r = 19pp

Bluff 2 (+3)

Concentration 9 (+12)

Diplomacy 3 (+4)

Gather Information 9 (+10)

Intimidate 3 (+4)

Investigate 8 (+10)

Knowledge(arcane) 9 (+11)

Knowledge(history) 3 (+5)

Knowledge(philosophy and religion) 3 (+5)

Notice 9 (+12)

Search 9 (+11)

Sense Motive 9 (+12)

Feats: 7pp

Benefit: Detective FCPD

Favored Opponent(Mages)

Fearless

Equipment 3

Ritualist

Equipment 15 EPs

Light Pistol [6]

Tonfa [2]

Undercover Vest [4]

Handcuffs [1]

Cell Phone [1]

Flashlight [1]

Powers: 9pp

Array 5 (Magic;Flaws: Tiring; Drawbacks: Power Loss ({Must be able to speak}; PFs: Alternate Power 2) [6]

BE: Nullify 4 (Dispel Magic; Extras: Area{Burst}; PFs: Affects Insubstantial)[9]

AP: ESP 3 (Scrying; Visual, Auditory; Extras: No Conduit; Flaws: Medium{Reflective Surface}; PFs: Subtle{magic awareness needed})[10]

AP: Snare 4 (Magic Bindings; PFs: Reversible) [9]

Super Senses 3 (Magic Awareness; Detect Magic, Magic Tracking) [3]

Drawbacks: 0pp

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

(Name of Attack) (Save DC/Type) (Type of Damage: Bruise/Injury, or other)

Pistol ------ 18/toughness ------ Bruise/staged

Tonfa ------ 16/toughness ------ Bruise/staged

Magic Binding - 14/reflex ------ Entangled/staged

Costs: Abilities (14) + Combat (10) + Saves (01) + Skills (16) + Feats (07) + Powers (12) - Drawbacks (00) = 60 Total Cost

Looks goof over all, just needs a bit of a clean up.

Firstly, can you flush out the history just a tad. I kind of got lost when I read it the first couple times through. Just make it a little clearer and add in a few more details.

Stats: 14pp

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 12 (+1)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 16 (+3)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Looks good.

Combat: 10pp

Attack: +3

Grapple: +0

Defense: +2 (+0 flat-footed)

Knockback: -0

Initiative: +0

With a Defense of +2, you would have a +1 bonus when flat-footed.

Saves: 1pp

Toughness: +1 (+1 Con, +0 other)

Fortitude: +1 (+1 Con, +0)

Reflex: +0 (+0 Dex, +0)

Will: +4 (+3 Wis, +1)

Please denote what the Toughness save bonus is with the undercover vest.

Feats look good.

Now powers however, I'm not entirely too sure about.

2 points in Array should give you 4 spendable points. From this I don't see how you afforded the other powers, nor got a final cost of 9 points for the array. I believe you meant array 5. Also ESP with visual and audio has a base cost of 3 points per rank, and the extras and flaws cancel one another out. So that power costs too much.

Other than that I don't see anything too problematic. But just remember I'm new at this.

Ok made fixes to the numbers

I was calulating array at 5 per rank for some reason so yea that was messed up. adjusted it to 5 ranks which netted me 3 PP that I dumped into making him more of a crazy super detective at least on a PL4 scale.

I'll try and clean up the history a bit too for you.

• 3 weeks later...