Suddenly, from down below, the game was interrupted by an enthusiastic shout. "Hey! Mike Harris! Is Mike Harris up there in the air?" Down below, an unfamiliar guy was standing on the quad below with a duffel bag over his shoulder. When the people up above looked down, he waved. "Hey! I'm your new room-mate!" In a T-shirt and khaki shorts, he looked like any other suburban kid going to school at Claremont.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike drew up short letting the frisbee sail lazily past him as he hovered stunned at someone calling his name. HE Drifted slowly down to where the newcomer was standing and settled to the grond before what the other boy had said fully sunk in.

Once it did Mike did his best to surpress his sigh 'All good things come to an end sooner or later'. He awkwardly extended a hand while brushing stray hair from his face "Hey, Guess we're roomies then."

"I'm not worried," Erin assured Eddie. "My body doesn't really follow those rules anymore." She turned herself right-side up anyway when the new guy approached, giving him the once-over from the air before sidling in Alex's direction. "Do we know him?" she asked, a little suspiciously. "He looks like another student, I guess." She began drifting downward. "How do I stop this flying thing, anyway?"

"Oh. Uhm. Here..." Alex scrunched up her face and did some arm waving to slowly suck the loaned power back into her own field. She bobbed and weaved erratically as her attention was focused on making sure Erin was close enough to the ground before she sucked the power back in and shut it off. Unfortunately, Alex miscalculated in that instead of shutting off Erin's flight, she shut off the field that kept her aloft entirely.

Alex had enough time to let out a startled shriek and flail her arms for a moment or two as she plummeted to the ground aimed at Mike's new roommate.

Mark shook his new room-mate's hand with a smile, wanting to set the other kid at ease. He seems a little nervous. Must be new. "My folks decided to run off to Rio for the summer, so they sent me back to school a little early. Wild, huh?" He laughed, waving up at the other students up in the sky. "Mark Lucas, but they call me Edge in-costume." He stopped talking, perfectly timed, just as Alex dropped into his arms in a lucky catch. "Woah!" He looked down at her, his big blue eyes dark with concern. "Hey, you okay? That was a pretty sudden stop."

Mikes eyes narrowed for a split second as Mark addressed Alex. He schooled his features quickly however and offered a hand settling Alex to the ground. "Risks of a superpowered school I suppose." He joked awkwardly then went silent.

'Damit I'm no good at this and this guy clearly knows the ropes around here.' Mike thought then with a sigh resingened himself to his role as wierd roomate to one of the popular kids.

While the boys quibbled over who got to hold Alex, Erin, who'd had a shorter surprise fall, picked herself up and dusted herself off. She was still working on sticking her landings, but that would come. Running a hand through her hair, she rejoined the group on the ground. "So you're Mike's new roommate?" she asked the new guy. "They said you wouldn't be getting here until fall. Are you new?"

"Nah, I've been going here since I was thirteen," said Mark, gently setting Alex down once he was sure she was all right. "My folks decided to run off to Brazil for their second honeymoon, though, so I got sent back here a little early. I live over in Ashton." He shook Erin's hand, a smile on his face. "Mark Lucas. They call me Edge when I'm in costume. So can all of you fly?" he asked, looking around among all the new faces. "Because that's pretty cool, I've gotta say. All I can usually manage is swinging around on a grapple line."

"I'm so, so sorry," Alex appologized profusely, her expression abashed. She stumbled a little as she was righted and gave Mike a look that was both pleading and embarrassed at the same time. "I'm Alex, Alex Albright. Erin's my roommate. Erin, you okay? I'm sorry. I guess I still need to work on that a little more, hunh?"

"Hey, you can fly," said Mark with a grin Alex's way, "that's pretty cool right there. It's no big deal; it's not the first time something like that's happened around me. I'm just glad I was lucky enough to be here to catch you." He shot a look Erin's way, but it seemed as though she'd made a safe, if ungraceful, landing on the ground below. "Looks like you guys all came through in one piece."

Eddie suddenly appeared behind the one that had just taken his spot as the newcomer with a flash (bother literal and figurative).

"Hey," he said, scratching his head, "I'm Eddie, they don't 'call' me anything yet." He looked around at the others, realization dawning. "Heh, guess I am not the 'new kid' anymore." he said with a smile.

"Hey, Eddie," said Mark with a grin, shaking the other boy's hand. "Nice to meet you. Always good to see another new guy around here, even if I've been at the school for a while. "Hey, is that the new sixteen-gig iPod you've got?" he asked Eddie, a look of admiration on his face. "That's pretty sweet. You must have a pretty good music set-up with quality merchandise like that." It was mostly a lucky guess, but Eddie struck him as a music kinda guy.

"Yea, actually, I am." Eddie waggled his headphones a little. "What tipped you off?" he said with a wry smile.

Eddie reached into his bag which had been left on the ground. He pulled out a second iPod. "Hot off the presses as they say. I have an extra one if you want to take a look," Eddie offered the iPOD to Mark. "I've also got a 120gig from the last generation too."

As he handed over one of his beloved pieces of merchandise, Eddie gave Mark a once over, trying to figure him out.

Seems he knows his technology pretty well. And he's either really lucky, or just a really good catch...

He's referred to his costumed Identity, "Edge" - That could mean anything really. And he gets around with a grappling line. So I am guessing from his talk about being interested in flight, he isn't able to get around all that fast. Bummer. He's about my age from the looks of it though. And if he's been here since 13 then he definitely is not replacing me as the new kid. His current getup either shows that he is pretty lax, or that he just wants to be able to function in the heat...Hopefully he can tell me more...

"So you mentioned spending some time in costume? Do you make a habit of running around in tights with the big leaguers?" it was an easily sarcastic joke.

"Sweet," said Mark, casting a slightly negligent eye over the iPod before handing it back to Eddie. It was a cool thing, but he wasn't much to linger over anything in particular. "It's been known to happen," he agreed easily to Eddie's teasing, a ready smile on his face. "You might say it runs in the family, really. I come from superhero stock myself. My dad's Rick Lucas," he explained, the modesty in his voice giving way to the obvious pride he felt for his family name.

"Heh, I've heard of him. Didn't he used to roll with the big leagues as well?" Eddie put on a knowing grin. But said nothing more about Mark's father.

"My parents are nothing special. They don't even have the super-gene. Count yourself lucky that you're a legacy, I guess." Eddie shrugged his shoulders. He knew full well it didn't really matter where you came from. Its what you do with yourself that counts.

A legacy, huh? He thought, Well that explains some things. His confidence and his easy going attitude to name a few. If this kid hasn't done it, he's seen it, thanks to his pops of course...

"You bet," replied Mark, who didn't stop for a minute to analyze Eddie's attitude. "I was really lucky." He grinned, then turned to Alex, his smile broadening. "I would love to give you guys a tour. You guys wanna see the only place on campus where students aren't allowed to go? Don't worry, I won't get you guys in trouble, I swear." Though Mark was a fairly careless guy, in several senses of the word, he was savvy enough to know not to show the really forbidden stuff to really new students.

Mike eyed his roommate to be warily, "If no student is allowed there how exactly is it not going to get us in trouble?" Mike had a naturaly cautious demeanor and this sounded risky, he didn't want to dampen the mood however so didn't flat out refuse to be involved.

He glanced at Alex and then Erin trying to gauge their opinions, wondering if he was just over-reacting.

Alex looked puzzled, her brow furrowed as she tried to place Mark's dad.

Mike, have you heard of him? Her mental tone was faintly fretful as Alex hated not knowing information, and didn't want to offend Mike's roommate.

Her gaze flicked over Mark's face, her wide eyes solemn and intent as she took his measure. Like Mike, Alex was an inherent rule follower but she was more trusting than her best friend.

Alex took a small step closer to Mike and touched his wrist lightly, her hand sliding into his briefly in breif reassurance, It's okay, Mike. He's nice. He's not going to get any of us in trouble.

Mike Furrowed his own brow at Alexs Question 'YEA HE WAS LIKE A SIDE KICK OR MASCOT FOR THE FREEDOM LEAGUE BACK IN THE DAY.'

Mike seemed settled by Alexes comforting touch and shrugged "Sure why not whats the worst that can happen right?"

He looked to Erin to see if she was in.

Erin shrugged. "Sure, why not? I've been trying to get the lay of this place since I got here." She went over to the tree and gathered her things, leaving the metal punching ball hanging where it was for later. "Is it the faculty lounge or something?" She grinned a little. "Do they restrict access to the really good vending machines?"

"Nah, faculty lounge is nothing special," said Mark cheerfully. "I talked to a guy who got in there once, and the weirdest thing in there is what Old Man Faulks puts in his coffee." He led his new-found buddies to the library, going sneakily inside the back stairs and up to the third floor, where a large No Admittance sign stopped them at the fire door. "Here it is; the third floor of the library." He looked at the others with a mysterious look on his face. "The one place on campus the average student isn't allowed to go; not even the ones Mr. Summers really likes. Some people say that's where Serena Vervain keeps her forbidden magical artifacts, or it's where they put the secret science stuff that the crazy student inventors develop." No one he was currently with looked tech-savvy enough to be offended. "I'm part of the Sneak Club," he confessed. "It's about the only club I'm allowed to join. We all put in five bucks, and the first person to get inside the third floor without being caught gets the pot. You can sneak in if you're not in the club, though," he added jovially. "It's a thing we have."

"Oh, well that's pretty cool" Eddie confessed. "So your basically doing this to win a bet then?"

I wonder if he makes a habit out of gambling. I should take this guy to the racetrack...

Eddie stepped forward and looked at the door. There was a push handle on it. But these things were usually securely locked. "How do we get passed the door though?"

"That's the mystery," said Mark reflectively. "We know there are cameras in the hallway, and sensors that seem able to detect almost everything we've thrown at it." He scratched his chin, looking for a moment like a general contemplating an ancient, stubborn battlefield. "Yes, it's been quite a challenge to us." He paused, then grinned at the others. "So if you can figure that out, you'll be the heroes of the Sneak, as it were. Just make sure you keep it on the Q.T."