"I guess it couldn't hurt," Erin agreed, settling back down on the blanket. "Everybody's got sore spots. And really, I guess if he's upset and he's mad and he's walking away or shutting down instead of striking out, that's got to be a good sign. That's what they want us to learn to do here, and he already knows it, so it's not like... you know, it's not like he's probably going to accidentally hurt someone now." She picked up her book but wasn't quite ready to study again yet, keeping her eye on how things were going.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie, uhm, its Alex? Don't worry, I'm just sending you my 'voice'. I can't even hear your response with this kinda connection. Uhm. Don't feel bad. You've hit a subject even I'm not allowed to talk 'bout. And that's supposed to be an appology in Mike-speech. He's really bad with them.

Eddie's eyes opened wide after he felt Alex's thoughts in his head. It was a strange sensation, almost as if someone had put fresh calamari inside his brain...He cringed just thinking about the analogy...

"Yea man, I'll remember that, thanks." Eddie finally spoke, sounding downtrodden.

Crap... There really is no fixing this is there...Unless...Misdirection! That's the key! Eddie got a neat Idea.

Sorry Mike...Be right back! Eddie quickly ran over to where Alex and Erin were sitting. He plopped right down in front of Alex. "Hey!" He poked her, "Read my thoughts!"

The moment Alex went to extend her mind and touch Eddie's again, she realized that the inside of his head was extremely similar to a dance party. Everything was moving around all at once, although the chaos seemingly had order to it...in 3/4 timing too...

Among the other things in Eddie's head, one thought in particular was knocking around, WHAT DO I DO?!

Eddie sat in front of her with a big smile on his face waiting for her to say something.

Alex blinked as Eddie rocketed to the ground in front of her. She tenativelly touched his thoughts before chuckling.

Deep down he wants to belong as much as any of us do but he's just afraid of what he could do. Alex projected the thoughts to Erin as well although she was careful again not to push to hard.

Alex wrinkled her nose thinking for a moment before she recalled their first day at Claremont. She paused and reached into her backpack, pulling out a day glo green nerf frisbee. "I brought this for after we were done with lunch. Maybe Mike will play with you while Erin and I finish up here. Then we'll have even numbers for teams!"

She turned a hopeful, pleading look at Mike as she wiggled the soft disc before handing it to Eddie. "Don't be afraid of tossing it too high. Mike needs the flight practice."

Mike internally kicked himself, 'dammit, now he thinks I'm pissed'. Mike looked to eddie and the girls and sighed gathering his thoughts and calming down. He really needed to be less touchy about people actually liking their powers if he was gonna manage at this school.

He stood and dusted himself off then slowly walked over givign plenty of time for them to conclude any conversation before he arrived. He liked to think this was to not intrude but he knew he just was dreading trying to patch up his little outburst.

As he arrived he looked back and forth at the other teens before speaking "Hey, I'm sorry about that its uhm a bit of a touchy subject. Not your fault." He glanced at the frisbee and then to Alex and the others shiftign uncomfortably but said nothing more.

"Hey no problem, man!" Eddie stood up next to mike and held out his hand for a handshake. "No hard feelings, right? I can agree not to bring stuff like that up again. But that's not to say I won't talk about it. If you need help or advice or anything, I'll be happy to help in anyway I can. Otherwise I'll just leave it alone. Agreed?" Eddie smiled big.

Snatching the Frisbee from Alex, Eddie held it out to Mike, "So what do you say, lets go have an aerial catch while the girls finish their work?"

Man... I am just glad he doesn't hate me anymore!

Eddie pulled out his iPOD and began playing an album by John Coltrane. Sinking into the wonderfully airy Jazz music, he began to float away from the group.

"Well, what are you waiting for?"

Mike gingerly took Eddies hand "Sounds like a deal." Mike was trying to make nice and that was more than most got, but he was still trying to get his mind off the whole subject hte thought of discussing the incedent with this near stranger terrified him but he wouldn't have to bring it up again so it should be fine right?

Mike was still lost in thought as Eddie drifted off and suddenly tuning back in Mike glanced down at Alex before shrugin and launched himself skyward setting the leaves on the ground blowing in his wake.

Erin raised an eyebrow as she watched the boys take off, her lips quirking. "Nothing like a good distraction," she murmured to Alex. "But we'll have a tough time joining in if they're a hundred feet up by the time we're done." She would much rather have joined in the game herself, airborne or not, than continued working, but the schoolwork always had to come first, when there was this much to catch up on. She hesitated for a moment, almost let the subject go entirely, then finally asked tentatively, "So, is Mike talking to, um, Dr. Marquez or anybody else like that? Sometimes it helps."

Alex flipped over on her back to watch the boys, pillowing her head on her hands, "No, I wish. He's only going to go if someone makes him and I bet he'd just sulk on one corner of the couch giving monosyllabic answers mixed with grunts. Even I'm not allowed to bring it up and Mike doesn't ever get mad at me. Like, ever!"

She pursed her lips, frowning at Mike's problems, "He won't use any of his powers unless you nag and nag and nag, and I know he at least loves to fly. Mike just needs to realize that its his choices that make the difference, not his powers. An idiot with a gun could have done the same damage, but the choice is all in pulling the trigger. It's not his fault that he was a little kid with powers no little kid should have to deal with. I think he needs, like, a mentor."

"I don't think Dr. Marquez is very good anyway," Erin admitted, "but it can help to talk to somebody. I mean, it sucks most of the time, and it's not fun, but you generally feel better afterwards. Maybe Mike could go and train with this lady they've got me working with. She's really, really strong, but she's, hmm, matter of fact about it, you know? How it's easy to break things, but you can learn to control it. If he asked Mr. Archer, I bet he'd let him go." Erin looked uncomfortable to be talking about Mike's problems, but they were close enough to ones she had herself that it seemed wrong not to try a little.

Once up in the air, Eddie began to spin like a top, releasing the Frisbee off into the air after one of the many rotations. After it zinged off towards the direction that Mike was heading in he yelled, "Haha! Catch that one, Fly-boy!"

As mike zoomed off towards the Frisbee which was making a rapid decent, Eddie thought, Man, is he fast. He must just about quadruple my airborne top speed...Oh well, at least I've got something to take his mind off of things. I almost screwed up making friends real bad...

Mike generally took it slow and easy but when the frisbee flew wide would put on a quick burst of speed leaving a swirling contrail in his wake. Mike truely did enjoyt he flying though he denied it and had some guilt in useing any of his powers. However under the bright sun it was easy to lose himself in the game and evne for a moment enjoy himself.

He tried to keep the game close to the ground and his throws were pretty light even by normal standards. So the game wasn't exactly difficult but it was a laidback way to spend the morning and Mike for the moment at least forgot to be surly and moody.

Mike continued to swoop and float above the trees keeping a careful eye out for the girls wrapping things up. He hoped they would be able to join soon as it was getting more and more awkward to just fling the frisbee back and forth without talking and he was no good at chit chat.

catching a particularly low toss from Eddie he alighted on the ground next to the girls and asked "So how goes algebra?"

"Hey ... Come on, man! Don't hog it!" Eddie called from a football field away. He was waiting for the next pass.

Eddie felt alive and in the moment. He was making friends and he finally belonged somewhere. This was a great city and a great place to live. Now if only he could get a job...He had to get these three interested in partying with him. He made a mental note to bring it up after the girls were done with their work. What girls didn't like to party?

"I don't think Dr. Marquez is very good anyway," Erin admitted, "but it can help to talk to somebody. I mean, it sucks most of the time, and it's not fun, but you generally feel better afterwards. Maybe Mike could go and train with this lady they've got me working with. She's really, really strong, but she's, hmm, matter of fact about it, you know? How it's easy to break things, but you can learn to control it. If he asked Mr. Archer, I bet he'd let him go." Erin looked uncomfortable to be talking about Mike's problems, but they were close enough to ones she had herself that it seemed wrong not to try a little.

"Oh, that's a wonderful idea!" Alex enthused with a beaming grin, looking relieved, "That's exactly what he needs, I think. You're the best, Erin."

Alex followed Erin's gaze as Mike touched down with envious ease and she didn't miss the longing in her friend's face. "I think we're ready to break for a bit, Mike. An' I have an idea."

Alex scrunched her face up in concentration, a look Mike at least had seen before countless times when Alex was trying to learn to fly. Clearly she had something up her sleeve. The sparkly aura that always surrounded Alex when she flew formed around her then began to morph and wiggle like it was being manipulated by someone who couldn't quite get it do what she wanted it to do. Finally the field expanded outward and surrounded Erin as well. Alex opened her eyes and blew a strand of red hair out of her face, looking both pleased and tired from that little trick, "There! I think you should float like I can, Erin! Just, uhm, be careful. It takes a bit to get used to the manuevering."

"What, seriously?" Erin asked, looking startled by the idea. She gave an experimental little bounce, jumping only a few feet off the ground, then hung there. After a moment's surprise, a grin spread across her face. "Huh, that's cool. Now I can play Centurion Fights the Supervillains, for real," she joked. Concentrating, she rose a little higher into the air, wobbling a little as she figured out how to control this borrowed power. It probably wasn't going to replace leaping and jumping her repertoire anytime soon, but it was pretty neat. Raising an arm, she called, "Mike, toss it here!"

What...Now SHE can fly TOO? Eddie thought. He stole a quick glance at himself. Man! This trick just isn't good anymore...

A quick thought ran through Eddie's head. He tapped a button quickly on his iPOD. And almost instantly, He appeared amidst the trio on the ground. He hadn't flown there. He had just appeared

"How did you do that?" He asked, pointing at Erin, but looking at Alex.

Mike arched a concerned eybrow at Alex look of concentration, 'what is she up too now?' he wondered. As he saw her trademark aura appear and expand he grined, Alex really did eventually manage to pull off whatever she put her mind to it seemed.

As Alex issued her warning about control Mike let out a quiet checkle and added "And don't go too high." With a grin as he once more sped skyward.

At Erins urging he flung the frisbee in an easy arc to her.

Alex blinked, looking startled at Eddie's sudden arrival although she recovered quickly and gave him a shy smile at his question.

"Oh, uhm, its something I've been working on the theories of. I can fly 'cuz I manipulate myself in relation to the rest of the world. Calculating trajectories n' stuff like that. Right now my brains just doing all the hard work for Erin, translating her movement into motion. So, she flies just like I do as long as I concentrate on it. Its just a little tiring. But good mental exercise."

Alex tilted her head up at him as she pushed off the ground, "Its how my powers work, they're all psychic. If you mean how do you do stuff like that, I dunno how your powers work well enough to guess yet."

Erin fielded the frisbee with a grin, giving it a quick toss to get the weight of it before she tried throwing it herself. It was too squishy to do any real harm, but better to be safe than sorry. She looked over at where Eddie had been, then blinked to see him down on the ground with Mike. "Doing that's going to make playing catch harder," she pointed out mildly, then gently turned a summersault in midair, just for the heck of it. "This is so weird..." Righting herself, she lobbed the frisbee lightly over in Alex's direction as she lifted off the ground.

"Yea, your probably right," Eddie said in response to Erin's comment.

Eddie tapped another button on his iPOD quickly and then lifted off the ground again. Eddie soared out over the open field. "I'm open!" he called, waving to Alex who now had the Frisbee.

Alex blinked again as Eddie was off without a response, but she shrugged and assumed that she'd probably over-answered a question again.

With a little bit of an unsteady take off, Alex kicked herself aloft and flung the frisbee at Eddie with a happy smile. By far the least athletic of the kids, Alex spent more time missing and doggedly chasing the frisbee than the rest of them but she did so with such unrelenting good cheer that it was hard to get frustrated with her general ineptitude.

Alex doubted she'd ever fly with the ease that came to everyone else but it was enough to be able to float aloft. "We could always do teams or something, too. I'll be someone's handicap."

Alex teased, joking about her own lack of skill.

Mike took it pretty easy overall he had quite the speed advantage over the others though he only tended to use it when the frisbee went far off course. He also tended to send the frisbee in rather slow lazy arcs to whoever was next up.

At Alexs mention of a team he furrowed his brow and asked, "Is there even a way of scoring this?" Mike had clearly not spent much time with the athleticly oriented in his past

Erin was not nearly as fast at flying as she would've been at simply running and leaping after the frisbee, but the novelty of sitting in the sky was entertaining enough that she kept with it, twisting her body to catch the frisbee when it was thrown her way, rather than trying to fly far after it. "There are frisbee games," she pointed out, "but not really for just four players. Besides, you sort of need a real frisbee, and that could be a problem." She turned over to hang upside-down in the air, just for the heck of it, chuckling at the strange sensation. "This is so weird," she decided. "I would probably just sit like this all the time."

"There's always Ultimate Frisbee," Eddie offered, returning a pass. "But you're right, I don't know how well it would work with just four people and a foam Frisbee."

Watching Erin sit upside down for a while, Eddie decided he would give her some advice, "Careful, Erin. I tried that once. All the blood rushed to my head. You wouldn't want to pass out..."