Breakdown

Man It's been quite a while since I got the chance to write here. I've just been so busy with the hero thing and everything else that's been going on.

Work has been going well, I've been getting a few more hours and shows here and there. But I really want to put more time towards the band. We've got a few songs by now, it's just a matter of putting it all together and coming up with a show. If I'm really lucky, maybe we'll be able to tour in the future...

I've been hanging with Zoe a good amount recently. That's great too. I really enjoy hanging out with her, I just have to watch that I don't spend all my time with her.

Anyways, this was just a short update. Just to let you know what's been going on recently.

A lot of strange things have been happening to me recently. I've noticed that I seem to be having quite a lot better control over my powers. That and I've developed ways of doing much more with them. It all really started when Darian took a look at me. His examination really pushed me to test the limits of my powers. Now I know a lot better what I can and can not do. More and more I'm finding out that I can do just about anything, except turning into monsters and stuff, but who would want to do that anyway?

• 2 months later...

Juke's Mixtape

So I finally got a new mixing software for my computer. I'm still getting used to it, but at least I'm finally starting to get back into making my own mixes. Just to test out a few of the things I could do with software, I made a new song. It's just a simple mash up of two other songs with some effects thrown in, but hey, its something. I call it Rocky Vs Duxx.

Be Me

Be me, be free, no rains, no chains, or pains, the names,

What are they?

Go try, to fly, on wings, and things, through rings, and think,

Who are you?

Dive down, in town, at night, no light, to fight, in darkness,

Where are we?

Time now, to allow, the spirit, so feel it, and breathe it, stay around,

Why would you?

A life, end strife, and fame, your name, will tame, my feelings,

How could you?

Be me, be free, go try, to fly, dive down, in town,

Time now, to allow, a life, end strife, a world, is told.

What are they?

Who are you?

Where are we?

Why would you?

How could you?

Be me, be free, go try, to fly, dive down, in town,

Time now, to allow, a life, end strife, a world, is told.

Be me, be free, this manse, go dance, take a chance, to find,

What are they?

Go try, to fly, this time, through rhyme, a crime, to wonder,

Who are you?

Dive down, in town, your plan, this man, he ran, your thinking,

Where are we?

Time now, to allow, a model, to coddle, don't ogle, you miss me,

Why would you?

A life, end strife, fair trade, you made, you paid, the price,

How could you?

What are they?

Who are you?

Where are we?

Why would you?

How could you?

How could you?

How could you?

Teen Hero exclusive interview with the energetic Breakdown of Young Freedom in this special charity edition of Teen Hero*. He's even agreed to do a few poses for our photographers at the end of the interview.

TH: We're here with Breakdown, one of Freedom City's finest young heroes for this month's exclusive Teen Hero interview of Young Freedom.

BD: Thanks for having me here, guys!

TH: You ready to tell us a few things about yourself, Breakdown?

BD: Sure thing. Fire away!

TH: How did you get your start being a hero, and with Young Freedom?

BD: I think the first real heroing I did was with Young Freedom, actually. It was back when we saved the baseball stadium last summer.

TH: Of course, that was where you all made the news for the first time, but what about your powers? When did you first learn you had them?

BD: Oh that was years ago. I think I've been flying around and stuff since I was about 15. I just had no real use for super powers until I came to Freedom City.

TH: This city does seem to do that to people. But what about your team? You're aware that Young Freedom won our magazine's contest for "The Hottest Young Heroes On The Block," right?

BD: Yea, I saw that, actually. The funny thing is that its sort of a running joke, at least between myself and Geckoman. But sorry ladies, I'm already taken.

TH: Woah now, that's a shame! Who is the lucky lady.

BD: Oh no. My lips are sealed. Wouldn't want anyone giving her a hard time, now.

TH: Fair enough, Breakdown. Though I have a difficult time seeing how you keep all the ladies away with a charming smile like that.

BD: Hey, you know what they say. It's a tough life...

TH: Indeed. Though the other members of your team aren't quite as handsome as you, you all still manage to fight as a well oiled machine. How is that, exactly? What sort of role do you play on Young Freedom's lineup?

BD: Well, I can't really give away any trade secrets. You never know who's listening, but I am kind of like the glue. The 'Wild Card' if you will. Its my job to help the team adapt to whatever situation we find ourselves in, and fill in the gaps wherever I'm needed.

TH: And how exactly do your powers work? There has been a lot of speculation among our readers on that subject.

BD: If I knew that, I think we'd all be a lot better off. I just know that when I hear music, it inspires me. I just use that inspiration to pour my feelings outward. Somehow, that means I seem to become a sort of speaker system, and bam! Just like that. Powers.

TH: That's very mysterious, Breakdown. And speaking of mystery, do you have any great fears?

BD: Not really. I don't usually pay enough attention to be afraid of things. Though it really weirds me out when something gets put in my ears, besides earphones of course.

TH: Interesting, and is there anything really big you want to accomplish?

BD: Someday, I'm going to be famous for what I do outside the costume. Though I can't tell you who to look for, just rest assured that you're going to like it.

TH: Would you say that you're someone that people can look up to? Like a role model?

BD: Haha! You guys have a good sense of humor. You're serious? Right. Well, not really. I suppose my heart is in the right place. But I am incredibly reckless and careless. Anyone looking to take after me is bound to get hurt. Remember, kids! Don't try this at home! I've always wanted to say that.

TH: Do you have any statement to make about today's politics? You look like you're about the voting age.

BD: Not quite yet, but as far as politics goes, I would recommend you don't get involved. Maybe if we ignore all of the politicians stupidity, they'll try to get attention by actually doing something right.

TH: I realize this is bad table conversation in most circles, but our readers have to know! What about religion, any thoughts or opinions there? Do you follow any certain one?

BD: Who has time to go to church when you're out saving the world? I don't worship, but I think of religion as a good way to teach kids right and wrong, and a few other things. But beyond that, people should believe in what they want to believe in. Not what someone tells them to believe in.

TH: As a teen hero, do you ever have to deal with a curfew set by Mom and Dad?

BD: All the time. I've been grounded more times than I can count because I'm not home when I should be.

TH: So mom and dad don't know you're a hero?

BD: No, they know. They just want to make sure I'm safe. I don't know why they think grounding me is going to make me not want to save lives after bedtime, but who knows?

TH: Well there you have it, folks. That's all the time we've got for today. Thanks for letting us pick you're brain, Breakdown.

BD: Anything for a good cause. Now how about those pictures?

TH: You sure know how to give your fans what they want, don't you.

BD: You've got that right!

*All Proceeds donated to the Rhodes Foundation Charitable Trust

• 2 months later...

"Okay, great! Thanks!" Eddie hung up the phone with yet another venue organizer. Ever since the Battle of the Bands in Freedom City, Octopus Drop Kick had been the talk of every concert organizer on the internet. Every major venue across the country wanted to book them for multiple nights. His cell phone had been ringing off the hook. And none of it had anything to do with him being a super hero!

Eddie picked up the phone and actually placed an outgoing call for the first time in what seemed like hours. The phone didn't even get halfway through the first ring when the person at the other end of the line answered. "Hey, Zo! I hope you don't have any plans this summer. Because we're going on tour!"

• 3 months later...

Eddie lay on the bed in his dorm room. Regular class sessions had started, but he still hadn't received a roommate. Chris was gone, now, and Eddie had to admit he missed his old roommate. Eddie's head was framed by a pair of large headphones. He was simply relaxing, listening to one of his favorite "Chill Out" artists, Ulrich Schnauss.

Eddie lost himself in the music, and in his own thoughts. Though summer was over, and classes had started, Summers' "extra curricular programs" still hadn't ended. It was starting to get old. Real old. Eddie was sorry for what he'd done. He'd thought it through and through. He'd shed tears and punched walls in his frustration. He'd put up with Summer's "Summer Program" that had kept him from taking his band on a tour of the country.

Suddenly, Eddie wasn't chilled out anymore.

This must be what going crazy feels like. He thought to himself, I've practically got cabin fever from this glorified house arrest the headmaster has me under. I've sat through his programs and his lectures and his special training sessions for months now. I've had enough.

Eddie's eyes flashed open. He tore the headphones away from his head, and tossed them along with the iPod they were connected to onto the bed as he stood. Even as he stood, he was already projecting the opening guitar riffs of one of his favorite songs. He felt like he had when he'd first come to this school. He hadn't commanded the song to play. It had merely begun of it's own accord, using his body as a resonating device to produce the necessary sound waves. Eddie didn't stop to pay attention to why the song had begun playing without his command. He didn't even stop to notice that he wasn't hearing the song through headphones, or by tuning into a radio station like his powers normally required. He was projecting this song all by himself simply because the mood struck him.

None of that mattered, because for better or worse, Eddie Ozan was about to give Duncan Summers a piece of his mind.

"So let me tell you all a story about the joker and the thief in the night!" Eddie sang the lyrics of Wolfmother's Joker and the Thief as he shut his dorm room door and made his way down the hall of his dorm hall.

"Well...That went well." Eddie said to himself as he tossed yet another few belongings into a box that laid on his dorm room bed. He'd intended to approach Summers and ask him when he could expect his counseling sessions, as well as the rest of the nonsense that Summers had lined up for him would be over with.

The conversation had only led to his expulsion.

Eddie tossed another CD case into the brown cardboard box on his bed, this time more forcibly than before. He stood still, staring at the box for a few moments. "Damn it!" Eddie swore as he swatted the box with his hand. It flew from his bed, crossing the room, and spilling it's contents on the floor.

The teenage Master of Music sank down onto his bed, and buried his head in his hands. For a brief moment, he felt a modicum of happiness. At least he was 18 now. His parents could no longer very well ground him. Of course, that wouldn't stop them from killing him.

Eddie was in debt to the bank because of the loans he'd taken out for a concert tour that he'd had to cancel in order to do the counseling at Claremont over the summer. That same counseling seemed to have done him no good. "What was the point," he asked no one in particular, "Of offering to help, if you were just going to kick me out, and ruin my life in the end any way? What was the freakin' point?"

Eddie lay back on his bed for what would possibly be the last time. For a time, he simply lost himself in thought. As his mind wandered to far off places and he began to doze off, the last thing he remembered thinking was, Well, at least this will make for a good song.

• 3 weeks later...

October 1, 2010

The new life has been... hectic, to say the least. So much has happened over the last few months, it's hard to keep track. Even business as usual isn't even that anymore. It's funny how life tends to come as fast as it does. When it rains, it pours, and all that. I just love how parents think they're making things better when they're only compounding the problem. "What's that? You've been expelled? Well, I guess that means you're enough of an adult to make your own choices, you'd better start looking for an apartment!" Ah, well, it had to happen sometime, I guess.

The good news is that without all the hero training, I spend a lot less time on "school work" these days. It frees me up to DJ, and promote the band more. It's unfortunate that most of the money I get from that just goes right back to paying for the new apartment. It's nice living downtown, though.

October 5, 2010

Speaking of DJing. It's funny how being on stage has the penchant to attract women. The other night was no exception. I get numbers all the time from girls. Most of the time I just toss them out. A lot of the girls I meet at the club aren't really interested in me, actually. They just want to sleep with a DJ. This time was different though. I actually had a good talk with this girl. She seemed legitimately interested in me. She's older than I am, but what does that really matter? I think I'll give her a call. No matter how it turns out, it's gotta be interesting, right?

October 10, 2010

Was this a date? I really can't tell. Elizabeth came to see me DJ again. I guess things went well. I can only really guess, because they seemed to go back and forth so often. I let her have a go at the tables for a few songs. I let a few of the girls on the floor do this, actually, just to make sure it didn't look like I was playing favorites or something. Yea, more phone numbers and everything. Don't think that really helped my case with Liz. Not that I can help it. After my gig was over and the next DJ was on, I started buying drinks. She didn't seem to receptive at first, but after a few, things went smoothly. Then I took her home, which seemed great, until she slept on the couch. That was weird. Usually if you get the girl to come home with you, the next step is really a no-brainer. I really don't get this girl. There's something really different about her. I shouldn't have cooked her breakfast. I'm good at music. Not cooking. My food is almost always awful. She seemed to like it, somehow. Or at least she said she did.

October 13, 2010

Okay, Eddie, time to make this go somewhere. Not sure where, but it has to go somewhere. Otherwise you're just dancing around it. No sense in that. Okay, so let's make it an actual date. Scary movies are good date movies, right? Also, it IS October. Older girls like that stuff, right? Who am I kidding. I'm terrible at planning stuff. I'm almost as bad as Edge. Yea, let's not dwell too much on them, okay? Right... Movies, downtown, Friday. Calling...

October 16, 2010

What a weird dream. To say the least. I can't remember where the night actually ended and the dream began, or if it was the other way around. I don't know if I should call her, or what. I think I'll just let it lie for now. I really hate it when things get awkward. Maybe if she knows what's going on, she'll call, but for now, I think it's better off if I just don't talk to her. Not like I have any lack of prospects...

Man, what the hell happened?

• 2 months later...

November 30th, 2010

Entertainment

Octopus Dropkick Celebrates Band's Anatomical Nature with New Album

Local High School Student Eddie Ozan and his band Octopus Dropkick celebrate the release of their first studio album, Invertebrate today. The band is set to go on tour around the country very soon to celebrate and promote it's release. "I'm just really happy," Eddie says, "After everything that's happened in the last year, all I really wanted was to see this get released. There was a lot of re-recording to go through after the breakup of the original band. We had plenty of other things to take care of as well. Not the least of which was replacing most of the band. I've still got friends, though. Finally, despite a six month delay, we're finally going live! Grab yourself a copy, It's in stores now, and also available online on iTunes for digital download. I promise, it will have been worth the wait."

The album retails for a mere $10. Almost half the price of many other new albums out today. When asked about the price, Eddie told us that he was fed up with overpriced music. He just wanted to sell enough albums to cover costs, with a little bit left over. After the album was delayed, his label dropped him. With no label held over his head, Eddie produced the entire album single handed. Unsurprisingly, the quality of the album quite plainly displays the Teen Hero's mastery of audio, and the technology associated with it.

Eddie and Octopus Dropkick intend to kick off the tour right here in Freedom City tomorrow night. They are holding three concerts in town before departing, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights. If you don't already have tickets, act fast. These three shows are selling out fast!

The staff here at Freedom Ledger wish Eddie and his band the best of luck on his three month tour.