The Trial of Captain Knievel! [OOC]

um... Ugh...

I really would prefer to not have this drag on any longer than it already has. If it is unreasonable to have the actual trial so soon, we can say that this would be the arraignment or pre-trial or whatever would occur this soon and we can stage the breakout then.

The only reason I would have pressed to have this trial occur so soon is so that I could have participated in the explosion at Malice's joint. But it has already been ruled that I cannot participate in that. Nor am I allowed to start new threads after this in the time-line. It wouldn't be a big deal to just place this trial sometime in June, as that would give both sides ample time to prepare for a state trial etc... I haven't been posting then, and I can't anyway, so whats the big deal if I skip that whole load of time? Since I have already unofficially skipped it anyway, it might as well be official. :/

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that in a silver/bronze age comic world, there are probably less street people and more police officers. Said street people are probably downtrodden, but still optimistic and even do broadway style song & dance numbers when no ones looking. The police officers all have shining badges, well pressed uniforms and would almost never use a suspect to "field test" a whole squadroom's supply of night sticks.

...my point being is that in the comic world is less likely to be subject to these sorts of realistic time constraints. Waiting time for a trial would probably be ... a week or so. Time for a lawyer to meet the client, make some phone calls, meet some people, talk to the client again, and make some more calls. This is a world where forensic equipment designed by Dr. Atom has results for the court as fast as it is on CSI (instead of the 2 months it would normally take). If Knievel were captured in March, it would be reasonable to have a trial in May (not real world reasonable, comic world reasonable). Although, it's getting a little late in the month for Knievel to get involved in June threads, anyways.

And does this trial make a "immune to jail" benefit more reasonable for criminals? :twisted:

I think a comic-verse trial would go quicker/more sensational than an IRL trial. I don't think thats much of a stretch really.

There is an immunity to Jailtime benefit its diplomatic immunity. You get deported but can have it reinstated despite that if you have pull in your home nation.

We're not idiots here. I think we all know that a Real Life trial would take much, much longer. I thought we were indulging in the same unspoken agreement that is the underpinning for the rest of the tropes for this genre. I don't see why the trial can't proceed as planned.

Fair enough. I am just afraid that by the time the trial is over that thread will be pretty much wrapped up as well, especially since it got started before this did. At that point my absence or presence in the thread won't make much of a difference. I am just judging by the fact that the lecture thread took about two months to wrap up.

EDIT:

Also, did you know that some courts have accepted 'extreme racism' as a form of insanity? I wonder if that applies here? ;)

All courthouses and law offices in FC have the following:

Quickness 8 (x500 speed) Flaw: Limited to Legal Proceedings

It's just weird timing with the Malice and CapK threads. They started about the same time IRL, but in game, concluded months ago. Malice is currently at the original time for the trial, and his house will be blowing up later this week.

Very sorry for the delay, all.

My understanding of the order of major criminal trials is this:

1. Opening statement [prosecution]

2. Opening statement [defense]

3. Witness/Expert presentation/testimony [prosecution]

4. Witness/Expert cross-examination [defense]

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until the prosecution is out of witnesses

6. Witness/Expert presentation/testimony [defense]

7. Witness/Expert cross-examination [prosecution]

8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 until the defense is out of witnesses

9. Closing statement [defense]

10. Closing statement [prosecution] (the home team bats last)

11. Jury deliberation/Eventual verdict

Many times judges will call for a recess for at least an hour after step 5 and step 8. If there are any particular shocking or stunning revelations, that may put either the defense or the prosecution in a particularly bad spot, they may request that the judge call for an extended recess up to and including delaying the trial to the following day. This is not a 24 hour break, the trial should resume at the same time as the trial originally started.

That is my understanding as well, so that's what we'll use.

We're now on steps 3 & 4.

I am okay with it (If you need the opinion of every one in the thread)

We were talking about this a little in chat. Captain Knievel is all over the news. I would think this would be enough of a chance for Ronin to know about the trial/predicament.

As to his motivation? Ronin is a mercenary. He wants to get paid. WM and I talked about various options in chat and came up with some rudimentary plans which I am not at liberty to discuss :P But one thing is clear. Ronin plans to help out The Captain because he expects to receive payment at a later date. It is possible that Ronin will even take steps to ensure that he receives this payment, or so that Captain Knievel agrees to make said payment.

This will of course depend on the manner of his entry which I hope we shall see soon enough.

Signed,

Quote & WM

So it's a "Ronin sees sociopathic semi-famous wealthy body builder on trial, decides to break him out in the hopes that he pays him lots of $$$" deal?

This gets back to my original question, though: why would Ronin be expecting Knievel to pay? (Note: I'm not asking whether or not Knievel will pay, I'm asking why Ronin expects him to pay, and not, say, simply run off, or turn around and shoot him in the face.)

This is why I included the section about

It is possible that Ronin will even take steps to ensure that he receives this payment, or so that Captain Knievel agrees to make said payment.

This could develop into the following situation: "Okay I got you out of trouble. Now pay me, or I will make sure you get back into custody."

Granted, just those words alone would not do the job, I am sure he would have some method of ensuring that Knievel would pay ;)

I am envisioning what is essentially a hostage situation where Ronin holds Knievel's newly earned freedom hostage. A very crude description, but it works.