The Trial of Captain Knievel!

Captain Knievel noticed the man scratching himself all over, and began to stare at him. Slowly he rose from his seat. He seemed to be suddenly enraged. Then suddenly as he seemed like he was about to launch himself at the man (and the bailiff began to step forward to intervene) he simply grunted, shrugged his shoulders and slowly sat back down, not taking his eyes off the man.

The bailiff came to a halt just on the other side of his table. The man look did not look pleased. Captain Knievel ignored him, his eyes still on the bike courier.

"Mr. Rogers!" The judge had apparently been calling his name, but he had been unawares. So focused as he was on the man he thought might have been a mutant.

"Mr. Rogers! Is there something the matter?"

"No, sir. I just thought I saw one of them," he shot a sideways glance at the bike courier. "And please address me by my real name. I no longer claim 'Taylor Rogers' as my name."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Knievel made a mental note to do exactly that if they ever let him back into a courtroom without trying to put him away.

"How much longer is this going to take?" He whispered into Ace's ear as he rose to deliver his cross examination.

"Hopefully not too long..."

The defense's cross examination was simply more of the same. The witnesses presented at the moment had nothing special to conclude for their case, so the cross examination of them was rather brief.

Daniel Durgan rearranged some papers on his desk, then rose. "Your honor, the prosecution has no further witnesses to bring forth, nor expert testimony to present. However, given the recent outburst of Mr. Rogers", he tuned slightly to Knievel when he said his name, "I would like to move that this hearing be closed to the public, and for the reporters and audience to be removed."

The room burst into a din of whispers, murmurs, and shouts.

Judge Nakamura's eyes went wide, but he quickly collected himself, and banged his gavel to bring some semblance of order back. "Mr. Prosecutor, that is an... unusual request, and one I must take under consideration." He raised his voice ever so slightly, "there will be a 30 minute recess."

Nakamura stepped down and retired to his chambers; Durgan consulted with his aides.

"Can he do that?" Captain Knievel asked Ace, jerking his thumb at the prosecution's lawyer, looking slightly pissed off.

"Yea, he can. Don't worry. I'll fight to keep your beloved fan club. See you in thirty." Ace stood as the bailiffs took Captain Knievel back to a holding cell. Captain Knievel tactfully offered no resistance. He knew when it was time to put up a fight and when it wasn't.

From the back of the courthouse he could hear Ace arguing with the judge before the doors shut. "...It's not right that the public should get to hear the prosecution's side of the case and not that of the defense!..."

Captain Knievel smiled. Maybe justice isn't so bad after all... he thought.

Ace didn't particularly like the way this was going, as various members of the audiance stood and stretched or went to use the facilities Ace scouted for a good corner out of the cameras field of view and dropped his illusory disguise in favor of full invisibility.

Once no longer concerned with being ejected witht he other bystanders he took to watching the crowd and lawyers for signs of what had spooked the DA. It just didn't make sense to close the court at this point unless the DA had knowledge that something was going to go down.

Dark Star floated idly near the ceiling of the room, waiting patiently. He'd much rather be out there, flying free, but he had made a promise to be here and his sense of duty demanded it. So while he waited, he simply scanned the airwaves, listening and watching the news.

As a standard civilian, there wasn't really all that much for Eric to do. He went to the john and got a drink and still had 25 minutes to kill. There was of course plenty of chattering going on from all the spectators, but Eric really didn't feel like conversing with any of them. To most of them this was just like some over acted TV drama. Eric on the other hand could actually use that space between his ears and process what was going on.

Something was nagging him though. Why had that prosecution attorney ran out of here? Originally Eric thought she just needed to go to the bathroom or something, or needed to fetch a file from an office. But they hadn't returned yet, and were no where to be found. She had been keen on giving her input to the attorneys through the whole trial, what would suddenly make her up and leave? It was in all likely hood nothing, but it was nagging Eric and he had... *checks watch* 22 minutes to kill. Eric started asking around, maybe somebody knew where she went.

Elena sent off one final telepathic message to the D.A. as she watched him leave the courtroom on the television.

Knieval's attorney is stalling for time. Whatever he's planning, the pieces aren't all in place yet. But we are.

Then her eyes lost focus as she once again spread her sensory net over the surrounding area. She spotted one item that appeared out of place: A garbage truck, speeding toward the courthouse. Being driven by someone who didn't look much like a waste management technician.

Curious...

Elena walked swiftly into the restroom, dropping her beer into the trashcan on the way (without ever having taken a sip). Once inside, she called upon her powers to cloak herself from the eyes and ears of the world. Then she gave a quick mental command to her underwear, which proceeded to expand and ooze out from under her suit, encasing her in the distinctive crimson & gold armor of The Scarab.

Had anyone been paying attention, they would have seen the restroom door slide open again, but no one entered nor exited. A few napkins few off the bar as the invisible form of The Scarab flew past and out into the street, to intercept the six-wheeled oddity bearing down on the City Center.

One moment, the garbage truck was driving down the street toward the courthouse. In the next, it floated up off the asphalt, rising at an angle thirty feet into the air. It gradually slowed in momentum and turned around to face the opposite direction as it rose.

The driver could see The Scarab materialize out of thin air as his vehicle took to the sky. She hovered in mid-air, her arms folded across her chest.

"Excuse me, Citizen. I would like a moment of your time."

Ronin was getting bored with this assignment already. He hated waiting. Waves of summer heat rolled up off the pavement, street, easily defeating the Trucks puny Air Conditioning. Not for the first time the mercenary envied those who could fly. He knew it had to be cooler up there.

The Truck shook and lurched, coming to complete stop. Then with a groan of protesting metal, it shuddered into the air and began to rotate. Uh oh. My garbage sense is tingling. As the Truck spun and rose Ronin reached for a weapon. It spun around, and in front of him hovered a scarlet and gold Clad figure. He could tell it was one of the hero types. And I thought this was going to be boring.

"No. You cant. So why don't you run home and take off that Scarab outfit. In case nobody told you he is dead." he said out the window.

Not waiting for a reply. Ronin hopped out of the Truck to the ground. From what he knew of the Scarab he wanted to see if he could hold the truck and him at the same time.

In the courthouse corridor, the Vestige crept up behind Captain Knievel, ready to spring and free his fellow do-badder. Knievel himself was ready to make a break for it, steeling himself to fall on the cops guarding him like a lion among sheep. When a uniformed police officer approached from the opposite direction, hailing the tight cluster of guards around Knievel, it looked like the perfect opportunity for the supervillians to make their move. "Hey! I just got word there's a supervillian in the building!" called the uniformed cop, "you guys better look out!"

"What? Where?" asked the lead guard.

"Right here." And then he smoothly drew his sidearm and shot down all six of Knievel's guards. Darts in their necks, their chest, or their faces, the cops all dropped wordlessly, their rifles and weapons clattering to the floor. The "cop" before Knievel smiled thinly as he ejected his magazine and loaded another. "Hi there," he said to Knievel. "You look like a man who wants a key."

After Captain Knievel finished picking his jaw up off the floor, a wicked grin spread across his face. "No fair...I was going to do that."

His mind racing faster than it ever had before, Captain Knievel quickly made a few openings in his social calendar. The next few minutes had been quite full..."If you're here to spring me you already know who I am. You know I don't screw around or waste time. A key would be wonderful. I also have a friend who might be able to help. If you don't mind me using that radio of yours." Captain Knievel mad a slight gesture with his cuffed hands at his new friend. The small movement was all that the chain shackling him to the cuffs on his feet would allow.

The mystery man dressed as one of Freedom's Finest quickly freed Captain Knievel of his shackles.

"Thanks" Captain Knievel said, rubbing his wrists. "Should we walk and talk?" he asked, jerking his head in the direction of the front doors of the courthouse.

As Dark Star was looking around the courtroom, he observed something very peculiar happen. The corridor where he could see Captain Knievel being moved, the distant one several walls away, suddenly vanished entirely from his senses! No matter how intently he looked, he couldn't peer through the gravitic static that blocked view inside that corridor! But looking closely, he could see the source of the static; an indistinct figure in black standing at one end of the corridor with its hands raised.

Dark Star was idly watching and listening to the news as he floated there, waiting for everything to resume. He could see/feel Captain and his guards walking down the hallway when suddenly the entire area vanished! Men, items, even the walls! There was giant 'hole' in his senses. Odd... Apparently there was something amiss; possibly a breakout attempt?

Dark Star immediately flashed forward, passing through the hall. He came to a stop halfway between the 'source' of the interference and the Captain and another man. But as soon as he passed into the hall, the 'source' vanished from his senses. Odd...

He addressed the Captain and his 'rescuer'. "What's going on here? Please surrender and come peacefully. I do not want to see anyone harmed."

Hmmm... most people wouldn't tell the Scarab to eff off. Better go see if she needs a hand. Arrowhawk swept his hands back into his cape and leapt, gliding down to the street like a bird of prey, cloak spread like a hawk's wings. He landed in a crouch, standing up and sweeping his cloak back as he glowered at the driver of the truck.

"I'd advise co-operation, mate," he growled, face every inch a bird of prey, glowering with a practiced fierceness.

"There is no reason to be rude."

The Scarab waited for a lull in traffic before turning the dumptruck on its back and releasing it, letting it crash the full 30 feet down onto the ground. "If you have a legitimate purpose here, I can see to it that you get where you need to go, and that you are compensated for these damages. If you do not, then you should surrender now." She refocused her mental powers, from the truck to the mind of its mysterious driver. "Who are you? Why are you here?"

At the sound of the large crash outside the building Ace is in motion. One benifit of the room being cleared he certainly didn't have to weave though many people to reach the hall. Looking about on his way he notes several missing Balifs and once more curses the poor judgement of this public trial as his invisible and silent form Wades its way towards the holding cells where hopefully Kneival has not yet been sprung.

Evolution is a beautiful thing really. Millions of years of survival and conflict instills the future generations with insights and instinct that improves their chances of propagating the species. Right now evolution was telling Eric to get the heck out of dodge. Seeing a garbage truck casually thrown around like a play toy will do that to you. Furthermore, there was the matter of who was doing the throwing. Of all the heroes in Freedom, Scarab was the last one Eric wanted to tangle with. Eric knew he could take bullets, mortar shells and mega-ton punches; weird psychic crap meant to turn your mind to pudding, not so much.

Making his way to the front doors, Eric's objectives had taken quite the turn and were now much more time bound. If heroes were on the scene, then things were already in motion, or they were about to be. Rule 1 of Freedom City, when vehicles leave the ground when not under the effects of their own power, it's time to scatter. Thankfully for Eric, many of the crowd were a bit thick and would rather point and stare rather than get to a safe distance. As such, Eric made it to his car relatively unmolested. Now all that was left was to drive it a few blocks away, dart into a back alley, slip into something more comfortable and then enjoy the fireworks.

Ronin cursed under his breath. Great now there is two of them. One was bad enough but the mercenary found his confidence a little shaken by the sudden, arrival of a second costumed vigilante. Well if was one thing Ronin knew it was that no one could predict a battle. Unless you cheated.

Not to mention he was already beginning to dislike this Scarab guy. "Hey," he said addressing the Scarlett clad hero. As he did so he slipped his hand around the his back. "Do you know what happens to a Scarab Beetle when it is hit by a bullet?" Then with inhuman speed. Ronin vaulted into the air. A quick twist as he brought his assault rifle out. What he knew about the Scarab told him that he could stop a missile launcher, but only if he could see it coming. He aimed and squeezed thought and action melding into one. He squeezed the trigger hitting him with as many bullets as he could in the second he was airborne.

"And that's my cue. See you later." With a barely visible smirk on his face, Orion raised his watch to his lips. "This is Orion. Simian, extract now!" And with that, the mighty hunter flickered and wavered in a shimmering pattern of light that Dark Star recognized as extraterrestrial teleportation technology before he completely vanished from sight and out of the corridor altogether.

I have GOT to get me one of those watches! But @#$% HE LEFT ME HERE!

Captain Knievel turned towards Dark Star, he slowly bent down like he was going to kneel on the floor. "I've seen what you can do...Don't hurt me!"

Suddenly he made a mad dash for the door. "Surrender my ASS! @#$% You energy boy! YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO KILL ME TO STOP ME THIS TIME BECAUSE I KNOW THESE STREETS ARE CROWDED AND I PLAN ON CAUSING AS MUCH DAMAGE AS POSSIBLE!

As he sprinted he fumbled with the radio he had gotten off of Orion. "GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY!"

Into the radio he hurriedly made another call. Malice! I could really use some back-up here! There are Metas AND super villains crawling all over this place! Immediate extraction required!"

Tossing down the radio, Captain Knievel flew at Dark Star...And straight through him. Dark Star realized too late that his actual target was the group of civilians behind him, which until recently had been obscured by the individual generating the gravity field. Captain Knievel seized the paramedic that was working on one of the guards that his mystery savior had assaulted.

Pulling the man into a tight headlock, he grinned at Dark Star. "You try anything funny, and I will snap his limbs like twigs. That means no gravity fields, no spells, no calling for help, no NOTHING! In fact, if I even so much as see another hero in front of me, he's DEAD!" Just to show he was serious, Captain Knievel tightened his grip on the mans throat producing a gurgling sound. To the paramedic himself Knievel said, "Which way to the ambulance you came here in? Point. NOW!"

Dark Star scowled. There was definitely too much going on here. Villains, heroes and innocents in abundance it seemed. There also something going on in the alley... The disguised villain just vanished and of course, the Captain decided to make a break for it even though he was barely 15 feet away.

"Enough. Stop this foolishness." He brought down a large gravity field pinning everyone and everything in the massive area to the the floor beneath, baring the innocents he could see and identify. He wasn't sure if that individual who had caused the weird vision problem was still there or not, but he wanted to make sure they were pinned too. He intended to keep the field up until he sorted out exactly what was going on!

Unfortunately, the deluded villain managed to avoid the effects. "I will not let you harm anyone. I give you this last warning. Stand down or I will be forced to hurt you to prevent anyone else being harmed." He gestured, a beam of dark energy lancing out towards the Captain, striking the hostage dead on. The paramedic faded, phasing out and becoming insubstantial.

"Nice gun," smirked Arrowhawk, rolling backwards to avoid any retaliation. By the time he arrived back on his feet, he already had his bow in hand and a blunt-tipped arrow nocked. "Wanna see a weapon that actually needs some skill?" he jeered, letting fly at their attacker's chest.

As Ronin raised his firearm, The Scarab concentrated her attention on building a wall of telekinetic force. She managed to deflect most of the bullets, but a stray round bypassed her defenses and clipped the side of her abdomen. OW! That one made it through the armor. Took some meat with it, too. Can't think about that right now. Focus.

The Scarab shook her head. "You just made the biggest mistake of your life. The only choice more stupid than bringing a gun to fight superheroes is actually pulling it out and firing it." She stretched her arm out toward Ronin, and focused her powers on an all-out frontal assault of her assailant's mind. A scarlet aura began to glow around her head, her hand, and Ronin's head. "All the guns in the world won't make much difference when every pain receptor in your body is firing at full blast."