Assault on Precinct 13 (IC)

Avalon

Dark Star staggered a hair, impaled upon the shaft of the evil weapon. He gasped in agony, no even able to scream, as the weapon was withdrawn. He tumbled over, falling right through the pavement, no even leaving blood behind from his grievous injury.

The Captain succeeded in ticking off Phantom. It, unfortunately did not result in his hoped for response. Instead the hero's eyes glowed murderiously, darkening to black and she gestured, calling out one sharp unpronouncable word and an expanding field of crackling black energy exploded around her. In the midst of the explosion, Phantom dove down to retrieve her fallen comrade, diving into the earth itself where she'd seen him vanish.

Reeling from the blast, it takes The Vestige to consider some things about the current situation. It seems that these pretenders to the throne have actually some bite in them. Is it perhaps because of his current weakened state or do they just have these strengths all along?

Whatever the reason, he will take great pleasure in forcing them to acknowledge their true masters and the rightful rulers of this realm.

Phantom ghosted through the ground, winded from the effort of casting off the cuff as it were and searched for Dark Star blindly. Although she didn't need to breathe, that didn't help her see through concrete any better than she would have if she were solid. Still, she made her best guess based on the path he'd been falling on when he fell into the earth.

"Dark Star?"

Captain Knievel adopted a defensive stance. He stood in the middle of the parking lot glancing this way and that, ready for anything.

"Soon as they get back up here, we are gonna rip them a new one! I hate it when people run from a fight. Watch out for a surprise attack, though. I know they are under there somewhere." Captain Knievel wished he could see through concrete.

Dark Star let his energies ripple from him, sealing the breach in his chest. The pain eased and faded. "Oh that's much better..." He took stock, realizing he was mostly in the sewer pipe below the street. "I am here and well. That villain is going to kill someone if he's not careful. We'll need to immobilize him quickly. I can still see them both," he points, giving Phantom a good idea as to where they are. "They seem to be waiting for us. We shouldn't keep them waiting."

• 2 weeks later...

Expecting an attack from below, The Vestige lets go of his sword, letting it fade back to the dimension from where it came, and begins to gather raw mana from the environment around him as he rises sixty feet into the air.

The energy cackles around both hands expectantly. They await to be discharged on the first hero who emerges from the ground.

With the heroes still missing in action, Captain Knievel continued to brace for action.

"Hey stranger! What do you say we high tail it out of here while they are busy futzing around down there? We have already caused plenty of damage!"

Captain Knievel waited for an attack as he waited for an answer.

"And leave our backs exposed to enemies who know not when they will strike next? I do not think so. That would be the coward's way ou-"

The Vestige stops talking to Captain Knievel as he spots a form rising out from under the concrete. He reacts quickly and releases the pent-up magical energy in is hands and watches as it speeds off to impact Dark Star square in the chest.

"Ah, spirit! I was wondering when you would show up?"

"@#$% this, man! Eat laser!" Captain Knievel pulled his right arm up into position and aimed at Dark Star. "Adrenaline Cannon! FIRE!"

*SHOOOM*

The broad beam of plasma energy swept across the street. So hot it boiled the pavement and everything in it's path. It all but enveloped the gravity hero as well!

• 2 weeks later...

"Why then are you here? I am surely not the worst this realm has to offer. I have seen what this world has led to and there are those who have begun enslaving those of their own kind? Where are you then when humans have lowered themselves to the level of those who had enslaved their race once before?"

To add emphasis on his remark, The Vestige fires another blast at the cosmic hero.

Soon afterwards, an armored truck screeches to a halt about 10 yards from the battle area and six STAR members including two wearing the MAX battlesuits come pouring out.

"This is the STAR Squad! Nobody move! Put your hands up or suffer the consequences."

Before The Vestige could react to these newcomers, he receives another attack from Dark Star which knocks him out and sends him falling down to the pavement.

Dark Star unleashed a huge stream of energy that slammed into Vestige, easily powerful enough to take the villain out of the fight. Unfortunately, standing still like that came at a high price. The Vestige's weapon once again slammed home into Dark Star. The world quickly blacked out as the hero joined the villain in unconsciousness. Vestige went flying one way and Dark Star fell, his energy form sliding under the earth. It would be some time before the hero regained consciousness...

Phantom watched her companion slip below the pavement once more. She switched her gaze to Knieval, wanting nothing more than to blast him into the ground alongside his compatriot. After giving him one baleful glare, her hands dropped to her sides and she streaked down to where Dark Star had dissapeared. Not knowing how his powers worked, she had no idea if he'd turn solid inside the earth somewhere or simply plummet straight through. Either way, she wouldn't turn her back on Dark Star. Not even if it meant letting Knieval get away.

She only hoped that he'd still be there when she emerged from the ground once more.

Leaving behind the Captain, Phantom sank quickly below the city's surface, calling for Dark Star as she followed his path through the earth.

Now's my chance! Captain Knievel thought. He turned to run from the STAR squad and the two heroes, but he couldn't. There was the issue of that new guy who had fought on his side. Quick as lightning, he dashed over to where the Vestige had been knocked unconscious, scooped him up, then turned and ran for the hills.

He knew for a fact, that some of the faster cars on the market would have trouble keeping up with him when he was sprinting, so he only had to hope that the same was true when he was carrying a 'friend'. Whether or not that was the case was yet to be seen...