When its time to party we will party hard

Ace looked down a little sadly at the young heroine for a long moment before he spoke again, "There is little perfection to be found in the world today Grimalkin, mistakes are made by everyone."

The ageless hero looked around the party at the assembled guardians of Freedom City. His eyes looking beyond those here and now to the jeroes of the past as well.

"It is what we do about those mistakes that makes the difference." Ace said as he looked once more to Grimalkin, "You are more than you think Grimalkin. You can be more than a tool, already you do more than merely cut away the disease of crime, you salve the wound left if even in a small way."

Ace put his hands on her shoulders and looked her directly in the eyes "I would be honored to work with you and to guide you to those who need you most, but that would be a disservice to both you and those you protect." He offered her a broad smile as he added "You know what you have to do that isn't your problem." Ace emphasized what with a gentle squeeze of her shoulders.

The Danger scion released his grip then and pulled a simple black on white card out of his pocket offering it to Grimalkin as he spoke "If you need advice on how or some back-up let me know. That I can offer without concern." Ace knew she had what it took to stand on her own.

He looked to Scarab and back to Grimalkin "You have others who would offer the same Grimalkin you have more to learn but you can learn and you have people willing to teach you what they know. You just have to ask. Don't let your mistakes and fears stop you from doing that." He smiled holding the offered card out to the young heroine still.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You have others who would offer the same Grimalkin you have more to learn but you can learn and you have people willing to teach you what they know. You just have to ask. Don't let your mistakes and fears stop you from doing that."

Grim nods and takes the card, then looks between Ace and Scarab. She smiles and nods.

"Oh, I get it; this is your not-so-subtle way of saying I can trust Scarab and look to her for advice, right? Okay, fair enough, I'll give her a shot."

She holds up the card and twirls it playfully between her fingers.

"Just don't think that gets you off the hook, Mr. Danger; I'm still gonna call you up in the middle of the night sobbing and saying 'I can't take it anymore!' from time to time. Vast quantities of mint chocolate chip ice cream will be consumed in the kitchen of Danger Mansion, mark my words."

The shapeshifter sticks the card up her sleeve, then laughs out loud.

"I can't believe I just called myself a 'tool'; God, I'm such a spaz."

She holds out a hand for a firm handshake.

"Seriously though, thanks; us 'young people' can use all the help we can get."

Ace laughs at loud at the younger heroes jest "I would expect no less Ma'am."

Ace takes her hand firmly and with a sly wink adds "Us old folks can use our share to so don't forget this is a two way street."

His good natured joking aside he knows better than most how true this is and has every intention of putting Grimalkins skills to use should he need them.

"Now then if you'll excuse me I should see to my other guests lest they get jealous." He says with a slight bow.

Grim nods as Ace takes his leave to mingle some more, and then starts looking around for more people to talk with; happily, she has made the acquaintance of a few heroes she's never met before, and is hoping to meet a few more. However, her eyes keep drifting back to Scarab, and her previous conversation still reverberates in her head.

When it looks like she's done speaking with the old guy, the young shapeshifter drifts over in the psychic's direction.

She'll sense me coming anyway; hi Scarab! :D

Hi Scarab!

Hello, Grim. The Scarab responded reflexively to the young heroine's greeting. Then she shook her head. "My apologies. I keep forgetting, some are not as comfortable with telepathy as others." She turned away from the departing Duncan Summers and toward Grimalkin. "You seem to have made an impression on Ace. You managed to hold his attention exclusively for a whole five minutes. That may be a new record."

"My apologies. I keep forgetting, some are not as comfortable with telepathy as others."

The petite brunette waves a hand dismisvely.

"Hey, I pinged you, so it's cool; wasn't actually sure if that would work."

She looks a bit more thoughtful.

"So, how's that work exactly, and what's the range? Like if I was in say Greenbank gettin' my ass kicked, and I thought 'Scarab, help!' like in a loud...thought, would you hear it?"

"You seem to have made an impression on Ace. You managed to hold his attention exclusively for a whole five minutes. That may be a new record."

"Oh, really?"

She gets a little pink in the cheeks and turns to watch Ace move through the crowd.

"Well that's...nice to know. Guess I still got it, huh?"

She makes an exaggerated sultry expression, then laughs and runs a hand through her short hair.

"Ah, jeez, what a night! So, anyway, reason I came over her does in a way relate back to Mr. Dangerman back there."

She takes a deep breath and sighs.

"Okay, so true confession time: you kinda scare the crap outta me."

Grim hold up her hands in a preemptive warding gesture.

"Not in a horrible 'ah mommy mommy!' way, but more like...I dunno, that feeling when you're walking through a spook house, and you let go of your dad's hand, and then you think you find it again but it's not...his hand?"

She scrunches up her face.

"Does that make any sense? I only made it through freshman English, so I think my metaphors get kinda weird. It's like...safe but not quite safe, or...I dunno, having a pet bear to keep burglars away or something. You don't know if the thing you have to keep you safe is worse than the thing you're afraid of; there, I think I finally said it."

The shapeshifter locks her fingers together and rests her chin on them.

"So I need to understand you a little better; not like how your powers work or how well you knew Imhotep or anything like that, though that would be cool and all. I need to know what makes you tick, what keeps you fighting the good fight."

She actually smiles.

"I need us to trust each other...and once we do that, then I need to, like, suck everything you know about fighting bad guys out of your head. Y'know, like how they pulled a mummy's brains out his nose, only much less gross."

Grim laughs, shaking her hands as though trying to fling water from them.

"Man, I suck at the talkin' thing sometimes, and you make me nervous; I just wanna learn, that's all!" :P

Jack eventually left the party, slipping out while the others were busy with their own affairs. Maybe it had been a mistake to try and socialize with humans on their own terms, but he had enjoyed the social interplay and back-and-forth maybe more than he'd expected. He'd even met a couple of celebrities, for all that he'd avoided the ones he thought might be more magically sensitive than others. I never thought it would come to this, he thought, sitting casually on the roof of the Pyramid Plaza and watching the Moon overhead. Dressing up as a superhero, working out my frustrations, doing something valuable with my nights...I never thought it would lead me here, to people like that. He'd stood in the company of heroes and been their friend. Maybe it hadn't been such a mistake after all.

"Hey, I pinged you, so it's cool; wasn't actually sure if that would work."

"So, how's that work exactly, and what's the range? Like if I was in say Greenbank gettin' my ass kicked, and I thought 'Scarab, help!' like in a loud...thought, would you hear it?"

"Unlikely. It worked this time because our previous connection was still lingering. Sometimes I experience precognitive flashes, bursts of images from possible future events. But they cannot be relied upon as a fail-safe. I am afraid the burden of initiating telepathic communication rests solely upon my shoulders."

"Ah, jeez, what a night! So, anyway, reason I came over her does in a way relate back to Mr. Dangerman back there."

"Do tell."

She takes a deep breath and sighs. "Okay, so true confession time: you kinda scare the crap outta me." Grim hold up her hands in a preemptive warding gesture. "Not in a horrible 'ah mommy mommy!' way, but more like...I dunno, that feeling when you're walking through a spook house, and you let go of your dad's hand, and then you think you find it again but it's not...his hand?" She scrunches up her face. "Does that make any sense? I only made it through freshman English, so I think my metaphors get kinda weird. It's like...safe but not quite safe, or...I dunno, having a pet bear to keep burglars away or something. You don't know if the thing you have to keep you safe is worse than the thing you're afraid of; there, I think I finally said it."

"I do not take offense. That reaction is far more common than you may realize. The nature of my gifts makes many people deeply uncomfortable when they actually take the time to contemplate the implications therein."

"So I need to understand you a little better; not like how your powers work or how well you knew Imhotep or anything like that, though that would be cool and all. I need to know what makes you tick, what keeps you fighting the good fight." She actually smiles. "I need us to trust each other...and once we do that, then I need to, like, suck everything you know about fighting bad guys out of your head. Y'know, like how they pulled a mummy's brains out his nose, only much less gross." Grim laughs, shaking her hands as though trying to fling water from them. "Man, I suck at the talkin' thing sometimes, and you make me nervous; I just wanna learn, that's all!" :P

"It just so happens that our goals intersect. That has been my aim the entire time I have participated with the genesis of the Knights. To help younger heroes benefit from my experience. To build trust. To make sure none of the orphans lost in the woods feel alone anymore. Isolation begets despair, anger, hatred, and ultimately, Evil."

"Open your mind, and I will tell you my story."

Grimalkin saw images in her head, like memories of videos, that accompanied The Scarab's voice resonating through her mind.

I was born 5,000 years ago, as Prince Heru-Ra of Egypt. Through rigorous study and discipline, I became Enlightened, Awakened. I tapped potential most humans never realize exists. But even my powers were only barely sufficient to prevent the bloody coup from succeeding.

"The high priest, Tan'Aktor, looked jealously upon the throne. He and his confederates succumbed to the folly of all powerful men - the lust for more power. Tan'Aktor had been my longtime friend, but he was seduced by his studies of dark and forbidden magics. It was by his hand that I fell, and I slew him with my dying breath.

Grim could see two men clashing in a battle of sword, spell, and will. One wore robes of scarlet, adorned with a stylized golden scarab beetle. The other was clad in red as well, but dark lightning was his heraldry. She recognizes many of the images she now "views" from the artwork painted and engraved on many of the walls down in The Lair.

Sometimes, the gods punish us by giving us exactly what we say we want. When Tan'Aktor and I both stood in front of Anubis, he was prepared to send Tan'Aktor screaming down into Hell. He stayed his hand at my request. I demanded that none but myself be allowed to exact punishment upon this most vile of traitors. The gods were simultaneously offended and impressed at my impertinence. So they trapped the two of us in an endless cycle of death and rebirth. Civilizations have risen and fallen while we have chased each other around the wheel of reincarnation. I have lost count of the number of times we have fallen at each others hands. And every time we are born, we must re-learn our true nature and potential. But once Awakened, we have the combined knowledge and experience of those countless lifetimes to draw upon.

If you remember your history, you may be familiar with Tan'Aktor's most recent incarnation, Wilhelm Kantor, chief occult advisor to Der Fuhrer. He has since found some way of cheating the eternal cycle which still binds me.

The Scarab last walked the Earth as famed philanthropist, financier, and archæology enthusiast Alexander Rhodes. In his lifetime, he built the Plaza upon which we now stand, and the Lair below it that you have uneasily called 'home' these past weeks. He helped Centurion form the first Freedom League in 1960, and remained an active member until his death 20 years later. The coroner ruled it as a brain hemorrhage. Which was technically true.

In this lifetime, I was born Elena Guerrero, the daughter of Mexican immigrants. According to the official story, I clawed my way up from my humble origins to a position of wealth and prominence through a little luck and a lot of hard work.

For a few seconds, it appeared to Grimalkin as though The Scarab's helm became transparent, and she saw behind it the face of an unremarkable-looking Latina woman in her late 20s smiling back at her.

As you can now see, I had a little more help than most people realize.

"And to pull the brain out through the nose, they used an instrument very similar to a modern knitting needle."

It takes Grim a few seconds to recover from the guided tour of Scarab's past; at first all she can do is stand there and blink, but finally the swirling images flicker away, and she shakes her head to clear out the last of them.

"Wow, that was...wow." :shock: She gently slaps her face a few times, then gives Scarab a cockeyed smile. "So, yeah! Quite the life you've lived there, or I guess 'lives' is more accurate."

A thought flashes across her mind, and her face brightens.

"Hey, y'know if you ever need-" She leans in a bit closer. "Elena to show up at the same time as Scarab, we could work that out; I'd have to practice a lot, but I'm sure I could it do it, no sweat." She gives the much-older heroine a conspiratorial wink, then shifts gears as she defiantly crosses her arms across her chest.

"So wait, this Kantor guy was like a Nazi wizard, and he's still alive?

In a flash, the young shapeshifter is wearing an IDF uniform, complete with glamour-made assault rifle!

"Where is he and how do I kill him?" :evil:

A thought flashes across her mind, and her face brightens. "Hey, y'know if you ever need-" She leans in a bit closer. "Elena to show up at the same time as Scarab, we could work that out; I'd have to practice a lot, but I'm sure I could it do it, no sweat." She gives the much-older heroine a conspiratorial wink...

"I appreciate the offer. We will see. I generally find that the ability to isolate and change or erase specific memories from a person's mind, or to compel others to destroy physical evidence, gives my secret identity all the protection it requires."

...then shifts gears as she defiantly crosses her arms across her chest. "So wait, this Kantor guy was like a Nazi wizard, and he's still alive? Where is he and how do I kill him?" :evil:

"Ah. One of the Chosen People, are you? Yes, he was very much a 'Nazi wizard.' Specifically, the Nazi wizard responsible for the creation of Die Nacht-Krieger and the destruction of the Allies of Freedom. And yes, he is still alive. Once I find out where he is, and how he has cheated death, you will be the first to know."

Ace made his way around the party checking up on old comrades as well as those of the newer generation. As he did so he made suble inquiries about Mr. Discrete as he was calling himself and tried to locate Jack. Despite several leads it seemed he always managed to have just missed the mysterious masked man.

His circut complete he glance about once more and made his way to Dark Star

"Dark Star, If you're not to busy showing me up on the dance floor I'd like a word." Ace said with a good natured smile.

Dark Star turned away from the drink server he had been chatting with at Ace's approach. The kid was just making some extra money to make ends meet. Dark Star forgot about things like money and bills; they just didn't come into or affect his life much. He promised he'd do something to help the kid out.

He looked over at Ace's approach and chuckled. "I do believe you have that reversed. Somehow, I'm fairly certain you are easily superior on the dance floor compared to myself. Thanks for the compliment though." He nodded. "Of course. What can I do for you sir?"

Ace paused consideringly for a moment looking at Dark Star before continueing. "I may be mistaken though I doubt it, but you seem like a forthright and direct sort of man so I shall offer you the same courtesy." Ace finaly said to the ephemeral hero.

He glanced about but saw relitively few fellow party goers nearby and seemingly satisfied continued "I have deeper intentions for this party than merely a celebration of the heroes of this city or even my own homecoming." Ace let out a small laugh at his self depricating jest.

Ace effortlessly maintained his carriage of non-chalance but Dark Star could see in his face and hear in his voice that this was a subject of import to him.

"There is a growing gap betwixt the heroes of Freedom City, to many stake out one neighbrohood or block as thier territory and to many have been forced to come into thier own alone." Ace shot a glance to Grimalkin and Phantom each in turn as he spoke.

Ace looked back to Dark Star when he next spoke, "You and I as well in our own ways suffer this lack of connection with our fellow heroes." Ace pauses and glances around then continues "Much of this is obvious to those who listen carefully to my words tonight, however what lies deeper in my intent is the solution."

Ace looked intently at Dark Star once more "I wish to recapture the trust in one another heroes such as you and I take for granted. I will admit my idea is still very much in the formative stages but I feel that the city needs guardians once more who are examples of what humanity can strive to be rather than just frighten the criminal elements into hiding."

Ace looked down seeming almost embarassed to speak in such a manner then looked once more to Dark Star "As I said the plan is but nascent, however I would like to know if I could call on you for such a project if, and I hope when, the time comes?" The ageless hero let the question hang in the air as he looked earnestly upon the gravticly empowered hero.

"Ah. One of the Chosen People, are you? Yes, he was very much a 'Nazi wizard.' Specifically, the Nazi wizard responsible for the creation of Die Nacht-Krieger and the destruction of the Allies of Freedom. And yes, he is still alive. Once I find out where he is, and how he has cheated death, you will be the first to know."

Grim nods curtly.

"Thank you."

The military uniform dissolves into a party dress, this time in emerald green, and the rifle drifts off into vapor. The young heroine runs a hand through her hair and yawns.

"Oh man, I think it might be starting to get late, or at least that's what all the booze I drank is telling me." Her dark brown eyes scan the room, and she frowns a little bit as she scratches the back of her head. "Hmm, looks like some of the folks I still wanted to talk to seem to have gone; maybe it's time for me to hit the showers and head on home."

Grim playfully jabs a finger in Scarab's direction.

"If I have weird Egyptian-themed dreams tonight, I am so blaming you." Then she looks thoughtful and smiles. "Unless Brendan Fraser is in them; then I give you a free pass."

She yawns again, much louder and with her mouth wide open before she manages to cover it.

"Sorry! Okay, I need to get going. Good to see you as always, Scarab; I'm really glad we had this little chat thing." She turns to walk away, then stops herself. "Oh by the way, I think I found an apartment in Riverside; if it all works out, I'll be moving out July 1st."

Grim smiles and does an odd little bow,

"G'night!"

In a matter of seconds, she's lost in the crowd.

Dark Star knew very little about the host for this party. He really wasn't in touch much. He knew a few random heroes he had met since his return, but not exceptionally well. He knew the other Knights of course, though probably not as well as he should. Since he didn't stay in the Tomb and was off planet a lot, he had never really 'hung out'. Something to work on he supposed. Anyway...

He knew that Ace was far more skilled in the social and political machinations than he was, which wouldn't be hard really. But even he had figured there was a reason beyond just celebrating the man's return. Otherwise, why invite strangers and then only heroes? The reasoning seemed fairly logical to him, and he said as much.

"I do not think anyone here, at least as far as your guests are concerned, that this party is just about your return to the city. Not that there is anything wrong with it; this is simply too large and...rarefied in the guest list for such a thing."

He waited as the man continued, nodding in understand or agreement.

"Your idea is significant in concept and scope, but not a revelation. Admittedly, yes, I am somewhat out of touch with our fellow Heroes. However, they are still human. They make connections. They join together. The Freedom League is such and example of those standards and ideals."

"There do seem to be a plethora of Heroes in the city though. Most are individuals, not a concerted force. Outside of the Knights, I don't really know of another local group. I trust that eventually, for the most part, they would come together on their own for the common good."

He nodded but paused for a moment. "I see nothing wrong with helping them make those connections themselves. The world needs heroes and Heroes alike. But, choice is very important. We are Heroes by choice. I know for certain there are others with the same calling who would not be willing to join in that endeavor. And that should be fine and accepted. The ideas that Heroes should embody must apply to each other as well."

"But, yes, I would consider such an event worthwhile. I won't forsake my other responsibilities of course or leave them stranded, but such a goal is worthwhile and should be pursued."

Ace nodded along to Dark Stars explanation, He knew of some of the hero's recent actions but had only the time at he party to get to know the man himself. Indeed it seemed the fellow was more astute than he had originally assumed given his distant demeanor.

"I'm glad to hear you are willing to aid in this." Ace replied before further explaining "Indeed there are many who will not serve well in such a capacity as I have explained despite the good works they do do."

Ace looked to Scarab and Grimalkin before continueing "And for others there are teachers better suited to their needs."

Ace turned back to Dark Star then and explained "I have watched the events this night carefully to try and ascertain who might be suited and willing to be part of such an organization,a s well as those who may need other kind of guidance."

Ace looked around the party once more before concluding "It of course may be some time before all of those best suited to such a cause make themselves known, I am glad however to know that when they do I can count on you as well."

"Untill then," Ace gave a respectful bow "I hope we can work on helping people on what scale is feasible at the time."

Ace straightened and issued a quiet "Thank you." to Dark Star.

He nodded at the man. "As long as it is meant for helping and guiding, not enforcing, I am happy to help." He'd seen both recently and in his past travels how imposed values worked sometimes, despite the best of intentions. He didn't want to go down that road.

"You're quite welcome. When your ideas solidify, let me know. Simple radio transmissions work fairly well. I do leave for a few day periodically; outsystem. Might be a little hard to reach then. But I'm sure you're patient enough to keep it up until I fly return. I look forward to hearing from you." He nodded. The man's ideas had potential. Now it was a matter of waiting to see if would come to fruition.

Ace smiled and replied "I look forward to working with you as well. I'll let you get back to the party then and thank you again Dark Star."

With that Ace left the gravtic hero to mingle or pbserve as he saw fit and began making the rounds once more listening in here and there to make sure everyone was doing well.