When its time to party we will party hard

Aurajixen, known as Duskstalker in the area he patrols, was swooping over the rooftops towards the Plaza where the invitation he'd received said that Ace Danger was holding a party. As he got closer he saw other heroes entering the tower and while he waited for them to be clear of the red carpet he made sure his formal wear was relatively unwrinkled before circling down slowly until he was 6 feet off the ground then lowered his hind legs and folded his wings back. Upon landing he is bombarded by camera flashes which cause his pupils to dilate to a tenth of their normal size, but he managed the occasional small smile and wave to the cameras as he approached the doorman. Stopping in front of the man he reaches into his breast pocket and presents his invitation.

After inspecting the invitation and the guest list the man waves the dragon through saying, "Take the elevator up to the sixth floor and follow the red carpet up there to the ballroom"

Upon entering the ballroom Duskstalker looks around and was surprised to see someone who looked like the Scarab talking to a cloaked figure who was shifting from insubstantial to solid and back. Recovering from his surprise he headed for the banquet tables and loaded a plate up with a sampling of the dishes.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pompadour frowned at the Spartan. 300? This... Is... Sparta? "I'm sure there are plenty of Greek heroes operating. The fact I can't come up with a bunch of names has more to do with my not paying attention to the Super Hero scene. Like I said I'm pretty new at this. If it makes you happier, I've got a good chunk of Mediterranean blood in me, too."

Pompadour stepped to the side, so that he could see the man he was talking with, but also wasn't facing away from the main party. This probably makes Spartan happier as well, as his own view is no longer obscured. Pompadour is looking to see if Ace Danger is free. "What's this you say about being trapped for 40 years? Is that like cryogenic freezing? You don't look over 40..."

"Good evening, Scarab."

The Scarab nodded in acknowledgement. "Phantom."

"I'll confess to surprise at your appearance tonight. Although the entire evening is proving unusual."

"I am as surprised as you are. The decision was not an easy one. I have been more discreet since my return, until now. My original team-building efforts are a matter of public record. The epic successes I enjoyed with the Freedom League were matched in scope only by my epic failures. I decided to change tactics this time, and part of that means offering a hand of friendship and some sage advice to the heroes and would-be heroes who need it most. The ones who still stand in the shadows. But the poor, the weak, the downtrodden and the oppressed...they deserve to know that one of their protectors has returned to them. And those who would prey upon them...it is time they knew fear once more."

"How is the food?"

"Quite good. Mr. Danger spared no expense. I recommend the cannoli. He had it flown in from Italy this morning...fresh."

Aristodemus looked at Pompadour with a smirk on his face as he knew exactly how people in America thought of Sparta especially since Miller's 300 comic had made a big impact on people's minds.

"Actually, I am well over 2500 years old, kid. You know Dilios from 300? That was me in real life. But don't think for a second that Spartans did not wear armor in battle."

Aristodemus didn't look, but he knew well that Pompadour would have his eyes nearly pop out of their sockets. The Spartan was looking out for Scarab and Ace Danger, his two old acquaintances from before.

"By the way, I was stuck in Hades' realm for 40 years, if you wondered about that."

"Grimmel-kin, huh? Cool name. What's it mean?"

The petite heroine wrinkles her nose.

"It means I have to keep explaining it to people; no, I'm kidding, even though it's true. It's totally fine you asking."

Grim sighs and then makes a sort wavy gesture with her plate of food.

"It means I liked freshman English, and we read Shakespeare and Hawthorne; the name came up in both. It means a witch's cat or familiar, and it kinda fits my powers. I don't think anyone else has ever used it, at least not in the States; I dunno about England or whatever. I Googled it at the library before I picked it."

She shrugs, and takes a swig of her champagne.

"You can call me 'Grim', by the way. Yeah, I used to kick around the Southside, too, when I was working with Nightrival."

She makes a face, somewhat hard to read; unhappy, or perhaps disappointed?

"We, uh, don't work together anymore. So I gotta ask, to turn it right back atcha, what the heck does 'Thunderstanding' mean? No offense, but that's an odd one, too."

"Hello, ladies."

A heck of a good-looking guy popped out of nowhere, and then proceeded to order a mint julep. He wasn't the only hottie in the room either; this Chris Isaac looking guy across the room was talking with some old guy, and he was lookin' super-fine as well. She gave Mint Julep a very clear once over before giving him a smile and a nod.

"Hello to you, sir! You seem to fill out a tux nicely. I'm Grimalkin, and this is Thunderstanding."

Grim looks down at her hands, one holding her drink and the other her plate of yummies, and frowns.

"Hmm, I would extend my hand in a lady-like fashion, but it looks like I'm busy getting drunk and stuffing my face."

Instead she manages a surprisingly graceful courtesy.

"Mi'laird." :D

Playing the part of a man very different than Avenger, Jack gave Grimalkin what could only be described as a "dirt-eating grin." "My lady," he said with perfect poise, taking her hand and kissing it delicately. He could smell her blood and the life underneath, and comparing that to the memory of how he'd acted on his date with Stesha reminded him what he really was. Just a flirt. Nothing more. "And you as well." He bowed perfectly to Thunderstanding. "As for myself, I am discreet. But I go by Jack." Turning the subject from himself as artfully as he could, Jack turned and gestured to the party. "It's quite a crowd, isn't it? I don't think I've ever seen so many heroes in one place."

"We, uh, don't work together anymore. So I gotta ask, to turn it right back atcha, what the heck does 'Thunderstanding' mean? No offense, but that's an odd one, too."

Alicia chuckled. "Yeah, I do my share of 'splainin', too. It means a couple o' things, actually. Back when I was prize fighting, it was just Thunder. And Thunder was always the last one standing in the ring. So, Thunder. Standing." She took another swig of her nuclear fallout. "But it's also a pun. You know, 'Why's that guy lying in the corner over there?' 'We came to a Thunderstanding.' Or, 'He had a little Miss Thunderstanding. Pretty gangsta, huh?'"

She smiled broadly and turned briefly to the bartender. "Hey there, hon! I'm a want another of these pretty soon."

A heck of a good-looking guy popped out of nowhere, and then proceeded to order a mint julep. He wasn't the only hottie in the room either; this Chris Isaac looking guy across the room was talking with some old guy, and he was lookin' super-fine as well. She gave Mint Julep a very clear once over before giving him a smile and a nod.

"Hello to you, sir! You seem to fill out a tux nicely. I'm Grimalkin, and this is Thunderstanding."

Grim looks down at her hands, one holding her drink and the other her plate of yummies, and frowns.

"Hmm, I would extend my hand in a lady-like fashion, but it looks like I'm busy getting drunk and stuffing my face."

Instead she manages a surprisingly graceful courtesy.

"Mi'laird." :D

Thunder looked at Mr. Handsome and smiled. Raising her drink, she added, "Pleased t'meetcha."

"And you as well." He bowed perfectly to Thunderstanding. "As for myself, I am discreet. But I go by Jack." Turning the subject from himself as artfully as he could, Jack turned and gestured to the party. "It's quite a crowd, isn't it? I don't think I've ever seen so many heroes in one place."

"No kidding, Discreet," Thunder replied, misunderstanding Jack's statement. "Lotsa folks here I don't recognize."

"The crowd is the crowd," replied Jack with just a trace of a well-placed European accent as he spoke. "Some new faces, and some old faces." He nodded first to the Spartan, a face he didn't know, and then to Scarab and Ace, two people who he knew had been there for a while. "What matters is that everyone here is united behind two common purposes. The never-ending search for justice, and also...a good time." He laughed in a quiet voice, keeping an eye out on the room's security. No one had seen him yet, or so he judged.

Pompadour regarded the ancient Greek. "2500 years is a long, damn time. I've heard some strange myths and maybe biblical stuff... that Cain was marked by God, and cursed to walk the Earth until the end of days. Or stuff like that Highlander show, immortals wandering around. Are there a bunch of you guys that have been wandering around since the dark ages?" Pompadour sipped his champagne and frowned. "Seems to me my grandfather told me that the Daedalus that's active now is the same one that was active when he was a boy. He does look the same age now as he did when I was a toddler. Is he an immortal too?" Pompadour seems fairly blase about the prospect of talking to an eternal man... internet exposure, movies, TV, comic books... seems like nothing shocks young people these days.

Or, perhaps he's just too distracted to really grasp what he's hearing. His eyes continue to scan the party, perhaps looking for the next person he should be talking to. Ace had seemingly dismissed the man he'd been speaking with, but Pompadour wasn't quite ready to go rushing into that zone of intensity.

As he completed his turn Ace motioned to security to see to it that the interloper made a reasonably speedy exit. He hoped his information was accurate and this fellow would preffer a low profile exit to exposure, a risk but a calculated one much like the party itself.

That matter dealt with he scanned the room to make sure his guests were comfortable, the party had kicked off well and more of the cities heroes were arriving regularly. Having missed several he began to make his rounds greeting the new arrivals as he went.

Taking note of the listless floating of Dark Star Ace adjusted course to intercept the gravtic hero. "Dark Star, enjoying yourself I hope?" He asked as he approached Dark Stars ephemeral form. Ace's eyes scouted the room looking for a good conversation to bring the isolated hero into and with a smile he lit upon Pompadour and the Spartan. "Walk with me for a moment? There are some others I'd like to introduce you too." With that he began to make his way through the crowd.

"Are there a bunch of you guys that have been wandering around since the dark ages?"

Aristodemus smiled at that notion. "Not many, but there are a few of us. We all went different ways. I for one chose the way of warfare and martial arts. I got a few moves to make most people jealous."

"Seems to me my grandfather told me that the Daedalus that's active now is the same one that was active when he was a boy. He does look the same age now as he did when I was a toddler. Is he an immortal too?"

"He is the real thing. The only one that could be considered older than me even. He and I have walked together in the past." Aristodemus was really an old friend of Daedalus, since they were both immortals from Greece. The senior had once offered to give the Spartan a power armor to use, but Aristodemus had rejected it, since he didn't need it in order to fight. But lately, he's been thinking about getting a suit for himself. If only Daedalus hadn't stolen the Lambada first.

Dark Star nodded at the man. "Doing my best. I suppose I was never good at this sort of thing. Now it's just a little harder to mingle. Nevertheless, I'm honored to be here." He nodded at the man once more. "Of course." He followed along side the man. "So, what are your plan now that you've settled here?"

Geckoman arrived later than the other Claremont lot. Thankfully, he'd managed to lie to the school about where he was, but this still left the whole problem of getting in. Thankfully his name was on the list regardless, despite his non-chaperone-ness.

Thus it was that he sauntered into the party, in a slightly more garish version of his normal costume. The green was brighter, the 'G' logo was emblazoned with gold sequins and the goggles had been replaced with wrap-around sunglasses. He'd topped off this attire with a wide-brimmed green fedora with a big white feather stuck in the band. "Ok, let's party!" he declared to nobody in particular after he entered.

Pompadour sipped his champagne, his brows furrowed in thought. OK, he's actually serious about being 2500 years old... wait, he says Daedalus is even older. So... Grandpappy wasn't just senile? Or is this guy grasping at anything that would lend credence to his claim? Of course, that whole Underworld invasion thing sort of means Hades exists, so...

"That... blows my mind, actually." Taking another sip, Pompadour's eyes scan the room. "Ah! It looks like our host is heading this way... with... some sort of Shadow Man following him." Pompadour searched his memory. I think I know that guy... name starts with a D... Death Star? Heh... but, no... His eyes catch a new arrival, who's outfit causes him to snort champagne. "G-Money in da Hizzouse!"

"Would you like some introductions made?" asked Jack, succumbing to the temptations of the party. "I have a broad circle of friends," he told Thunderstanding warmly, automatically falling back on the flirtatious behavior that strongly suggested he'd be interested in adding to that circle that very night. He looked deeply at Grimalkin, thinking for a moment about how differently she might be acting around him if she knew he was the creepy, psychotic vigilante she'd been working with. "And you too, fair lady. There's quite a crowd out there. You never know who you're going to meet."

Geckoman was just scoping out the party, looking around for those who could be appreciate his awesomeness, when he heard a familiar and beautifulvoice behind him. "Hi there." When he turned around, who to his wondering eyes should appear but the most beautiful girl at Claremont Academy: the unspeakably gorgeous and ridiculously out of his league Student Body, aka Daisy Gibbons, whose superhuman attractiveness made something monstrously delicious out of her school uniform. "I like your costume" She gave him a smile to melt the socks off a man four times Chris McKenzie's age, offering her perfect hand to him.

Geckoman didn't miss a beat, not even for the usual guy's reaction of "Hooooooooly shiiiiiitake mushrooms." Wait, am I censoring my own monologues now? Dammit. With one gloved hand, he took her hand gently in his and bowed slightly, sweeping his hat off and kissing her hand. "Thanks. You're looking pretty nice too." Could be smoother, could be smoother. Stay on target, stay on target!

"So, can I, uh..." Chris hesitated for a second. Bar! Inspiration! "Get you a drink?"

The Scarab nodded in acknowledgement. "Phantom."

"I am as surprised as you are. The decision was not an easy one. I have been more discreet since my return, until now. My original team-building efforts are a matter of public record. The epic successes I enjoyed with the Freedom League were matched in scope only by my epic failures. I decided to change tactics this time, and part of that means offering a hand of friendship and some sage advice to the heroes and would-be heroes who need it most. The ones who still stand in the shadows. But the poor, the weak, the downtrodden and the oppressed...they deserve to know that one of their protectors has returned to them. And those who would prey upon them...it is time they knew fear once more."

"Quite good. Mr. Danger spared no expense. I recommend the cannoli. He had it flown in from Italy this morning...fresh."

Phantom nodded at the crimson hero's explanation.

"Its good to know that Ace Danger still spares no expense when it comes to parties," Phantom's hollow tones were drier than usual and one hand stole up to the amulet at her throat as she remembered her great uncle's many and varied stories of the Danger family, "I'm afraid I will have to forgo the cannoli."

She gestured down to her ephemeral body for explanation and glanced around the room once more. While she could eat, Phantom reflected, the fact that she didn't need to anymore completely through off her sense of portion control. It took more of her attention than she was wiling to spare tonight. "An odd gathering tonight. I can sense Grimmalkin across the room although I doubt she'd enjoy my presence. Its certianly an eclectic group of heroes.."

Dark Star nodded at the man. "Doing my best. I suppose I was never good at this sort of thing. Now it's just a little harder to mingle. Nevertheless, I'm honored to be here." He nodded at the man once more. "Of course." He followed along side the man. "So, what are your plan now that you've settled here?"

Ace nodded thoughtfully at Dark Stars comentary. "I can understand that. The more obvious our differences the harder it is to realize our similarities." The host started wending his way through the crowd as he continued "But we are united in purpose here and I think that is something the comunity needs to remember." He Greeted a few of the others they passed with a gracefull wave and a smile as they moved through the crowd. "After the Moore act Freedoms defenders were scattered often turned against one another. The invasion was a respite but the damage was deeper. I think if..." He glanced up at the memorial display of the invasion with Centurion central for a moment "well no changing the past right?" As Ace closed the last distance to his target group he answered the question "I hope to remind the Heroes of freedom that despite our differences we can work together, while our methods may vary we are this cities defenders and that common bond needs to be recognized."

They approached Pompadour and the Spartan and Ace smiled broadly, "Spartan, Pompadour, Welcome. May I introduce Dark Star." He made a sweeping gesture for Dark Star to step forward "He's done some excelent work recently. Helped take down that Knieval fellow among other things." He paused for a moment before completing the introductions turning to face Dark Star as he introduced the others "Pompadour is new on the scene but my money says he's one to watch." Ace gives a quick wink to the coifed hero "Spartan is more experianced but like myself newly returned." He looks at the three of them for a moment "I think its a good thing to know the other independant opperators around in case you need some expertise." With a smile Ace turns to the Spartan "Wouldn't you agree?"

"Right you are there, Ace. It's always good to know whom you can get to know and have a helping hand with in times of trouble."

Aristodemus had done himself some extra noticeable service during the Underworld invasion, mainly as to hold back the primary invasion along with several others, including Centurion. The Spartan also had donned armor for the first time since leaving the military lifestyle after World War I.

The Spartan had joined in the defense for one reason: Gods shouldn't interfere with the lives of mortals too much. Visiting them and helping them was tolerable, but launching an invasion was pushing it as much as did taunt the Spartan that he was a coward.

Then, he had been snatched by Hades, and was left to live down there for 40 years along with demons. Not a very pleasant life down there, mind you.

"So, you took down Knievel?" He turned to Dark Star. "I'm impressed. He and two others managed to defeat me and Arrowhawk about a week ago."

At the first oportunity Ace slid seemlessly up to the interloper and with a hard smile spoke quickly and quietly his normally warm smile hardened to a razors edge, "I know you, I don't think I need to further explain that a man with your connections and associations isn't welcome at this event." Ace peered directly into the elderly mans eyes to get across the full gravity of his statements, "You've managed to keep a low profile so far so your free to leave unmolested. However," Ace gestured absently to the assembling heroes in the hall, "others may not be so gracious if they were to learn what you get up to in your free time." The threat was subtle but clear in the favor of peace Ace was willing to let him walk with a warning so long as he made a speedy exit. "I'll make excuses to your companion for you." Ace added as he began to turn away.

Exile doesn't seem put off by being recognised by Ace, nor is he fazed by the veiled threat. In fact he smiles contently, apparently being perfectly at ease with the reaction.

"I am sorry if my presence offends you." The old one said while respectfully inclining his head."It would seem I will have to attempt to initiate dialogue at some other time. Then again, for the likes of us time is not a major factor. I hereby take my leave, and will not return afore the sun has set and risen once more." Having said his piece the mage is enveloped in a soft white light and disappeared.

And reappears over in Port Regal, more specifically in the library of the Gentle Mansion. Reclining in one of the chairs he picks up a leather bound journal, brings out one his pens, and starts writing under the headline.

Observations regarding magic using/enhanced Heroes in the Freedom City area

"I would be delighted," said Daisy, putting an affectionate arm around Geckoman's shoulders as the two heroes walked over to the bar. All the men were looking her way, it was hard not to, but Daisy was of course under strict orders not to use the most obvious of her powers out here in public. She was certainly devoting a lot of attention to her new buddy in the fancy clothes, though she was also shooting a few looks in the direction of the small knot of Claremont students at the opposite end of the room.

There have only ever been a very small number of people who could sneak up on the Scarab once the full psychic powers of Heru-Ra have been awakened. There is more than one person like that at the party, though this one needed to wait until Scarab was distracted by conversation with other heroes. :bat: "Ace. Scarab." Duncan Summers looked surprisingly young for a man of his age, his eyes still vital and his back still straight despite the cane he leaned on. Somewhere past 55, he looked like he had several decades to go already.

With the crowd at the bar getting large, and the host approaching with a large party, at least one of whom would recognize him by sight, Jack took this opportunity to disappear.

Though it was hard to notice anything other than the unspeakably gorgeous Student Body, Geckoman also noticed her boyfriend at the other end of the hall. Clarence Beaudrie, aka Battlecry, had obviously noticed Geckoman come in, and noticed him with his girlfriend as well. From the look in the older, bigger student's eye, Geckoman was going to have a situation on his hands at some point in the near future. Clarence met Geckoman's eyes and mouthed something that looked like a remark about Geckoman's mother.

Geckoman smirked over at Battlecry. He's going on my list.* Now, bare-faced lying about my age! He took Daisy up to the bar, and flashed a smile at the barman, trying to make his voice deeper. Why do I do these things? "Hi, dude... Erm... Give me a Carlsberg, and whatever the lady would like." Look confident, get beer, look confident, get beer, look confident, get beer.

*'101 people to hit with an airship.'

Pompadour turned to take the walking, sparkly shadow's hand "Death... er, Dark Star." Given the inherent problems with shaking hands with an insubstantial man, Pompadour's awkward smile escalated slightly and he turned towards Ace Danger instead, "Ace."

"Having a party for heroes to network is genius. It's the sort of thing my agent would have had me do, if I had the big name draw. I definitely hope to make some contacts that I'll be confident to call after tonight. I had a chance to work with Mercy and Avenger, so far..." Pompadour frowns as he sips champagne. He has stopped scanning the party for more interesting people to talk to, giving the host his full attention. "That team-up with Avenger though... entirely impromptu. I don't understand crime in The Fens, and that means I can't judge, but I need to be image conscious, and that sort of vigilantism isn't the image that I want to fit into."

The bartender obediently poured Chris a tall, cold Carlsberg, foam piled just high enough on the huge mug to lure the young man in like a moth to a flame. Daisy giggled and put her hand over her mouth at his naughty cleverness, and was just about to order a drink of her own when Geckoman felt something big and heavy clamp down on his shoulder. It turned out to be a hand, followed quickly by an amazingly deep voice. "Well well well, Mr. McKenzie." Chris recognized the voice of his ethics teacher very well, the gigantic Leeroy Hawke looming over him with a cheerful smile on his broad face. The former Turbo-Boost was an oddly outsized man, even for someone so strong; a common thing given how much supervillans of the 90s had hit the MAX. "I trust you and Ms. Gibbons are representing our school to the best of your abilities?" He released the smaller teenager, but stayed close by.