PL Caps

DrBalloon

I've been looking and looking through the main rulebook, and either I'm too tired or I'm somehow overlooking whatever paragraph the answer to this problem is in.

Where does it say whether or not the skill rank PL cap (+15 for PL10) already includes the ability bonus?

I.e. if you have 15 ranks of Bluff, you can't use the Attractive feat to add onto that skill. But does your CHA stat modifier stack with the skill ranks?

I've been looking and looking through the main rulebook, and either I'm too tired or I'm somehow overlooking whatever paragraph the answer to this problem is in.

Where does it say whether or not the skill rank PL cap (+15 for PL10) already includes the ability bonus?

I.e. if you have 15 ranks of Bluff, you can't use the Attractive feat to add onto that skill. But does your CHA stat modifier stack with the skill ranks?

The PL cap applies to Skill Ranks. So the limit of PL +5 is a cap for ranks. Your total skill modifier is Ability Modifier + Misc Modifier + Ranks. Ability modifiers for all abilities except for Str are capped at PL +5. There is no general cap for Misc Modifiers.

The text for Attractive says: "This bonus cannot increase your total effective skill rank higher than the campaign's power level limit." So it is essentially a bonus to rank and thus limited to PL +5. The way I see it, Attractive is . . . Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4 [Limited] - 2 PPs. You get a -1 discount on those skill ranks because of the limitation. But they are discounted ranks, thus capped by PL.

The PL cap applies to Skill Ranks. So the limit of PL +5 is a cap for ranks. Your total skill modifier is Ability Modifier + Misc Modifier + Ranks. Ability modifiers for all abilities except for Str are capped at PL +5. There is no general cap for Misc Modifiers.

The text for Attractive says: "This bonus cannot increase your total effective skill rank higher than the campaign's power level limit." So it is essentially a bonus to rank and thus limited to PL +5. The way I see it, Attractive is . . . Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4 [Limited] - 2 PPs. You get a -1 discount on those skill ranks because of the limitation. But they are discounted ranks, thus capped by PL.

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly Barnum, I have seen Keneson talk about Attractive as having a "soft" cap. In the Paragons book, there are apparently NPCs that have ranks in Bluff and Diplomacy and then more Attractive ranks than the PL limit should allow. Someone asked him if the book was missprinted and he said that with it was not, and that when the combination of skill ranks, Attratctive bonus and Charisma bonus did not all total more than the PL limit (for skill ranks and stat bonus), then it could be okay, and that he allowed that.

Basically, he was saying Attractive could substitute for Charisma in improving the skills.

Interestingly Barnum, I have seen Keneson talk about Attractive as having a "soft" cap. In the Paragons book, there are apparently NPCs that have ranks in Bluff and Diplomacy and then more Attractive ranks than the PL limit should allow. Someone asked him if the book was missprinted and he said that with it was not, and that when the combination of skill ranks, Attratctive bonus and Charisma bonus did not all total more than the PL limit (for skill ranks and stat bonus), then it could be okay, and that he allowed that.

Basically, he was saying Attractive could substitute for Charisma in improving the skills.

SK frequently comes up with after-the-fact rulings that are far more reasonable than the rulings he actually writes into the books (like allowing a Reflex save for Gravity Control, allowing Absorption to violate PL if it isn't a primary protection power or is sufficiently limited, etc.), so that doesn't surprise me at all.

SK frequently comes up with after-the-fact rulings that are far more reasonable than the rulings he actually writes into the books (like allowing a Reflex save for Gravity Control, allowing Absorption to violate PL if it isn't a primary protection power or is sufficiently limited, etc.), so that doesn't surprise me at all.

Especially when you consider that things like Elongation or Morph give massive uncapped bonuses to Escape Artist and Disguise respectively... but there is no mechanism to make someone equally good at some other random skill.

Like if i want to make some one insanely ridiculously acrobatic, but not very dexterous.

Especially when you consider that things like Elongation or Morph give massive uncapped bonuses to Escape Artist and Disguise respectively... but there is no mechanism to make someone equally good at some other random skill.

Like if i want to make some one insanely ridiculously acrobatic, but not very dexterous.