Power Gauging -- Dr. Archeville

MBCE

She dared use us as a guinea pig?!

Well, she does have a point, this situation is an ideal one in whi-

We will make her- what? What's she doing now?

It appears she is... turning on a big screen plasma television?

Dr. Brown had in fact gone to one wall which sported a large plasma screen, and turned it on. At first there was nothing but test pattern color bars, but the image was soon replaced by an empty padded cell. Dr. Brown stepped back to give Archeville a clear view.

"Vas ist?"

Archeville carefully studied the screen, then almost jumped back when a very rough-looking man staggered past. He was unshaven, unwashed, unkempt... and looked very much like an older version of Dr. Archeville.

"P... pater?"

Suddenly the man whirled around, looking frantically this way and that, as if aware of being watched but unsure from where. At last he turned and looked straight at the camera, then ran towards it... only to be stopped by the shatterproof glass barrier between it and him. A torrent of German gibberish, and copious amounts of foam, streamed from the man's lips.

Dr. Archeville slumped to the ground, as if his strings had been cut. Dr. Brown turned off the monitor, then slowly approached him.

"Dat... dat vas low, Doctor Brown," he whispered.

"I know, Herr Doktor. And as I'm sure you know, the foes you face will go even lower."

The Doktor was silent.

• 3 weeks later...

Dr. Brown walked over to Dr. Archeville and held out her hand ot help him to his feet. "It's over now, Dr. Archeville. There are no more tests scheduled for you today."

She gave a nervous smile, unsure as to how the good doctor had taken the testing. He was of course the first truely intellectual to participate in the testing so it was unclear as to how well things went. From the look on his face, Dr. Brown suspected that they were able to push him to his limits at least for part of the time.

"If you'd come with me, we can share the results of the testing. You may be quite interested in seeing the results."

She will pay for this indignity! They all will!

Calm down, she was only trying to help us. That is the entire reason we came here, remember?

"Ja, Dr. Brown," he said, weakly at first but quickly regaining his strength, "dis has been most illuminating. It is clear I still haff room for improvement, even -- or, perhaps, especially -- mein mind."