A very large boom

Geez3r

OK, so Arrowhawk and Malice have been duking it out for a day now, and already there's a big problem. Arrowhawk "sneaks" into Malice's bunker from the sewers, and immediately walks into Malice's main magazine AKA where he keeps most of his ammunition. The problem is, is that neither of us have the slightest clue on how much damage this would cause.

The magazine is in the bottom most floor of Malice's bunker. The walls of the bunker thankfully have a Toughness save of +15.

Floors of bunker:

0 - Home - Malice's basement, a standard home lies above

1 - Research - unoccupied, nothing too explodey

2 - Development - where all the WIP are stored/worked on, quite explodey - Malice is on this floor (thankfully in his suit)

3 - Application - This is where the combat simulator is, which of course houses things designed to explode and be exploded on, Arrowhawk is in the elevator on this floor, possibly soon to be shot airborne in a metal box

4 - Supply and Demand - The Main ammo supply, the blast door leading into the sewers (which contains explodey methane) has already been destroyed

Anyone have input on what kind of destruction this would cause? Remember that Malice is a paranoid wack job that believes the answer to every question is "NEEDS MOAR DAKKA" and that Arrowhawk probably just blew up 85%-90% of his DAKKA.

OOC thread

IC Thread

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so Arrowhawk and Malice have been duking it out for a day now, and already there's a big problem. Arrowhawk "sneaks" into Malice's bunker from the sewers, and immediately walks into Malice's main magazine AKA where he keeps most of his ammunition.

You left out the most important part: "And then he fired an exploding arrow into it."

My initial thought is to have it as a Damage Explosion, at a rank equal to the highest damage Malice can possibly do (figuring in things like Power Attack, Autofire, and +2 for 'Extra Effort').

Which'd be... 12 for his "Second Amendment" Mini-Gun, +5 for Autofire, +5 for Power Attack, +2 for 'Extra Effort', equals... 24, with a total blast radius of 240 feet. :shock:

How far from the center of the explosion are the walls of his bunker? If the core of the explosion is within 10 feet of a wall, the walls toughness save (25, +15 and taking 10) fails the damage save by 14 (Damage 24 = DC 39), making that section of wall "disabled" (holes punched through). Actually, any Bunker wall within 40 feet of the center of the explosion will be disabled. And if enough Bunker walls get disabled, more of the house may start collapsing....

More importantly, how far are Malice and Arrowhawk from the center of explosion?

This'd probably bring several other heroes out. Malice's Home/Depot is in Riverside-Downtown Freedom, right?

Huh. Yeah, this is gonna be quite painful. :o

For nice round figures we'll say that each floor is 10ft high, except for the floor immediately above the ammo dump, the combat simulator is 30 ft high. Hopefully because the armoring on the walls is strongest at the simulator the explosion won't do too much damage *cough*...

Yeah so Arrowhawk is about 10ft from the center of the explosion, maybe 20 depending on where the charge was placed, thickness of the walls, position in the elevator, yadda yadda.

Malice on the other hand is somewhere between 40-50ft away from the explosion, maaaaybe 60 because the armor was in a corner and he hadn't moved from that spot yet.

So, if my math is right, Arrowhawk is facing a DC 33-34 Reflex save, followed by a DC 38-39 Toughness save, and Malice has 28-30 Reflex save, which ain't happening, and 33-35 Toughness save.

But yeah, essentially a nuke just went off smack dab in the center of a quiet Riverside suburb.

Yeah, I had a feeling this was something the refs would want to once over :)

And on a tangent, I think this may be largest amount of collateral damage done in a thread on these boards, and we haven't even rolled initiative yet :o

I'd say there'd be a limit where, despite the rules, it may have to be cut down for sensibility. For example, not ammunition dump is ever going to churn out nuke-level damage. Maybe a load of Progression, but it shouldn't be able to kill Centurion or Captain Thunder, for example.

My initial thought is to have it as a Damage Explosion, at a rank equal to the highest damage Malice can possibly do (figuring in things like Power Attack, Autofire, and +2 for 'Extra Effort').

Which'd be... 12 for his "Second Amendment" Mini-Gun, +5 for Autofire, +5 for Power Attack, +2 for 'Extra Effort', equals... 24, with a total blast radius of 240 feet. :shock:

Remember, Malice could do this damage hypothetically AND Malice actually has done this exact damage before. True only to one target, and it was a power stunt, but it has been done. And that's with a "standard" attack, you blew up EVERYTHING all at once.

This is related. For those who've seen one, or both of the following:

1. 'World War Three', the episode of Doctor Who where a missile is launched at 10 Downing Street and they shelter in a small cupboard (small, square, sturdy...)

2. Indiana Jones and the nuclear refridgerator.

Would that description with an elevator be sufficent to Extra Effort up Evasion 2 :P

i am pursuing ways of captain knievel breaking out of jail... and besides the lecture thread happened a long time ago. its been like over a month, thats plenty of time for a guy like knievel to break out. and i would only join up if it was requested by geez3r and agreed upon by ecal.

For all intents and purposes, it is a completely normal, run of the mill subburb. Whatever you consider "standard fare (fair?)" it's there. Malice's house/bunker is the only truly noteworthy thing around, or well, was. It's supposed to be a bit of a smaller neighborhood, so the houses probably aren't right on top of on another, but still quite close.