Learning Curve

Electra

The smells and colors that only lasted a second. The trip was a very exhilarating, but a bit short. Moira wanted to do it again, but she wasn't going to be rude about it. "That was fun," she smiled to her impromptu taxi girl. "Maybe we can take longer trip home," she chuckled.

Moira looked around to the park, "I remember this place. It's where I went on my first date." She sighed and sat on a nearby parkbench, "So, what's your plan? Any heavy lifting you need done?"

Stesha shrugged. "Make it nice, without letting anyone see me." She raised her hands as though conducting an orchestra. All of the trees around her began to perk up, some unfurling new leaves and growing a bit, some just standing straighter and stronger. Casting an eye upwards to make sure she wasn't about to hit any power lines, she let the effect spread, the trees rustling as though stirred by a breeze. "It's not very exciting, not like fighting monsters. What's your favorite color?" she asked, opening her knapsack and beginning to rummage.

Sitting up, Moira witnessed the showing of life with much awe. Memories of long past surfaced as each area grew up. Snapping out of it, she smiled at the monster comment. She thought about what her favorite color, "Well, it's a tough choice between gold and purple." She shrugged, "Why do you ask?"

"Gold and purple," Stesha repeated, digging in the knapsack and coming out with a handful of seeds. "Good choices," she murmured, more to herself than to Moira, "very hardy." She held out a hand over the ground near the park entrance, watching carefully as dirt spiraled up out of the ground to become a sturdy terra-cotta planter. She dropped some seeds in it, then crossed the path to repeat the performance, then back again a few feet onwards. When she had a half dozen pots lining the path, she stood in the middle of them and gave them the high sign again. Instantly, marigolds and pansies, gold and purple, burst out of all the pots, spilling lushly up and over the sides. "Marigolds keep away the bugs, too." She tossed the seeds she hadn't used in among the roots of the trees, where they sprang up and grew immediately, blossoming almost invisibly in the deep shadows. "What do you think?"

Moira clapped excitedly, "Bravo!" She popped up from the bench and slowly approached the new plants with a sense and look of amazement. Kneeling down to see one of the new additions to the park, she reaches down and picks one of the bigger marigolds. She gets up and pulls back her hair to put the flower between it and behind her ear.

"Thank you," she said, walking over to the flower giving the flower girl a friendly hug, "This city needs more people like you." Smiling, she let her go, "I'm glad you're doing this instead of fighting monsters."

Stesha seemed a little overwhelmed at being hugged by the gorgeous, monster-fighting hero, but she was smiling as Moira let go. "I am too," she admitted. "I don't think I could fight a monster. But I can make things nicer for people's every day lives." She cocked a finger at the plant Moira had pinched the flower from. It obediently sprung a new blossom, as though the old one had never been lost. "As long as there are people keeping the city safe, I want to keep doing this, all over Freedom City. I hope they like it."

Moira smiled warmly at Fleur, "We love it." Looking around the beautiful sidewalk again, she shook her head, "Is this it? You're done for the night?" She looked to Fleur again, "Either way, this has been awesome." Biting her lip, she paused for a second. She looks to Fleur with a wanting look, "Not to sound like a broken record, but can we get back to my house the way we came?"

Hand in hand, they were sucked into the marigolds. The same flowers scents and the same green color pervaded Moira again. And then the quick less-than-a-second thrill was over. They were back in the living room next to the bonsai garden.

"Thanks again," Moira smiled as she walked her guest to the front door, "it's been fun. Like I said, feel free to call anytime you need help or just someone to talk to."

"Thanks, I will," Stesha promised with a smile. "It's nice to know one of the other people out there in the night. I hope your roommate likes the planter." Stepping out onto the porch, she touched the petals of a geranium in the planter she'd built there. "Goodnight!" she said cheerfully, then disappeared, almost as though she'd been sucked into the plant.

A mile away and a moment later, Stesha popped out in her apartment, which looked exactly the same as it had when she'd left a few hours before. Even so, she knew that she was different now. She was a hero, and she knew other heroes! There was plenty to do around the house before dawn, but Stesha took a few minutes to carefully enter Moira's number into her cell phone. You never knew when you might need some backup.