Phalanx

The musings of a teen hero to be. I see this as a scrapbook and journal of his journy. I like to think of it IG as his battered composition book full of "deep" thoughts on his adventures but first

THE QUESTIONAIRE

Introduction

Give a two or three word description of yourself. (Describe your character's concept.)

Reluctant Teen Hero

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?T

he Government and ASTRO Labs list my file under the code name Phalanx

What is your full birth name?

Michael Allen Harris

Where do you live?

In my parents house in Hanover.

Why do you live there?

Its my parents house and I'm 16.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

Loyalty to my friends.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

The detructive potential of my powers

Physical Traits

How old are you?

What is your sex?

Male

What is your race?

Human? american caucasian mutt

How tall are you?

6'3"

How much do you weigh?

210 Lbs

What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

Tall and muscular but not overly muscular, stands slouched or leaning with shoulders drawn in.

What is your skin colour?

Pale but with an olive base waiting to come out should I get more sun.

What is your hair colour?

Coal Black

What is your hair style?

Shoulder length and somewhat unkempt, bangs perpetually in my face.

Do you have any facial hair?

Much to my chagrin I can't even manage bad teen stubble

What is your eye colour?

Emerald like my mothers

How attractive are you?

Reasonably, but I hide it under baggy clothes and a sullen demeanor.

What is your most distinguishing feature?

I have a very striking, chiseld face, but hide it behind unkempt hair and a bad attitude.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

Nope

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

I write with my right but I also wear my watch on the right and tend to interchange hands on different tasks. Alex says my file lists me as ambidextrous.

Do you resemble some currently known person?

Not really other than the eyes from my mom I barely even look like my parents. Dads all of 5'8" and mom tops out at 5'4" I was taller than them by the time I was 12. Despite being a big sports fan dad is not even a little athletic and while oms a fan of the pilates I don't think I got my frame there either.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Loose and baggy dark colors mostly. Topped off by a rumpled black duster.

Do you wear makeup?

Not since I stopped trick or treating

What sort of vocal tone do you have?

I did get lucky on the voice change and only had about a week of cracking before it settled into a full deep timber. I do tend however to mumble but can project quite well when the need arises.

History

Where is your homeland?

Freedom City, USA

Are you aware of its history?

Yea my dad is kinda an amatuer historian and tend to be on the verbose side for his favored topic.

Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

Can't it be both? I'm patriotic I suppose but I'm kinda an outcast on the smaller scale.

What are your opinion of home?

Its Freedom. It really is the shinning example of what humanity super and normal alike can accomplish together. Well I suppose the rest of the country is pretty good too. I really think of Freedom as the heart of America though Alex says thats pretty biased.

Where is your home town?

Freedom City

Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?

Once I do so probably not but first I'll have to see a need worthy of the risks to others.

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

Well there really aren't much in the way of secrets I'm a bad liar so I try just not to.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

Not really aplicable

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

Well I'm stronger and tougher than anyone I've met so far. Alex says the doctors projected that I have potential 'Off the charts' but that their method had inaccuracies.

How have these scores affected your life so far?

For a good portion of it they have defined it. Since the incident in 2nd grade I've been in a special program and under government surviellance so I'd say theres been a pretty big impact.

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

Majority

Did this impact your outlook in any way?

Uhm I don't think so. Self analysis isn't really my forte though.

How do you feel about other races?

Like Aliens? Don't know much about em as for people with varied skin tones I really couldn't care less. If they're good people they're good people if not, not.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Uhm we'll go with yes. I mean first off there was the whole Terminus Invasion that likely gave me powers in the first place then theres the incident from 2nd grade and the ensueing years bussed to ASTRO Labs for school.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

In second grade I got in a fight with another boy, it was a normal scuffle but I kinda hit him too hard, the teachers and my parents say he's fine but I've never seen him since and Alex says they all thought he was dead. Since then I've been in a special program for schooling and really don't want to risk that happening again. I'm in better control now I guess but the risk of someone getting hurt is just too high.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

See above

Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

I have a baseball glove and ball my dad gave me for a birthday, we never really got to use it. My room is kinda scattered with others I guess too but they are just stuff mom hasent donated yet.

Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?

Well it kinda is the whole downside to my powers thing, Heres this normal boy and his dad activity and we can't do it cus if I throw too hard it might kill him or at least break his hand.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Its not really a secret though I don't talk about the fight if I can help it.

Are you who you claim to be?

Well I'm certainly Mike Harris, but I'm not nearly the loner bad boy I pretend to be but I know its better and safer for everyone this way.

Do you have any sort of criminal record?

Not really, though the government has records of the past ten years of my life that are pretty exhaustive.

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

I sometimes dream that I could be like them but know they are better then me. They have managed to use thier powers for so much good but I can't risk it.

Family

Who were your parents?

Marvin and Melinda Harris, My dads a copy editor at the city desk for the Freedom Ledger my mom is the general manager of a organic food co-op and part time yoga instructor.

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

Yes though for the last ten years I've spent the days in a special government program.

What was their standing in the community?

Pretty much normal citizens, my mother was jailed a few times for protesting the Moore act back in the eighties though.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We've lived on Oak street in Hanover my whole life.

How did you get along with their parents?

I never new my paternal grandparents they died before I was born. I always loved my Moms parents they had the coolest Farm outside the city but I din't get to go visit very often after the government survielance started.

How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.

Mother: He's a good boy but the teen years are hard for anyone and someone different doubly so. The Governments meddling certainly hasn't helped, it's left him feeling like some kind of freak. I'm sure he'll grow out of it now that he can go t a normal school and maybe make some friends.

Father: He's a good kid, a good kid. Strong, fast, tall, what more coudl a father ask for? heh heh well yea he's not adjusted well with everything I suppose but his hearts in the right place.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

Only child.

What was your birth position in the family?

First and only.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

My parents live in Hanover and mom works there too, dad commutes to downtown. My grandparents live on a farm about an hour and a half north of Freedom. Theres really almost nothing only we know since the survielance started. Before that there is the circumstances of my first flight but Alex's mom knows about that too. Mom was born in the summer of '67, August 15th, Dad was born on the 3rd of Febuary in 65.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I live with my folks still and hope that now that the government "study" we were "asked" to take part in has "ended" we can hopefully visit my grandparents again.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Not really though my relationship with my father could be better, he just doesn't understand me.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Not really, I mean none of them really understand what I'm going through.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

Nope

If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position?

N/A

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

The Harris' have a long history of mediocrity that I seem to have resoundingly broken.

If so, what did this person do to become famous or infamous?

N/A

Do you try to live up to the reputation of your ancestor, try to live it down, or ignore it?

N/A

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

I suppose in the abstract but really the chances are slim. Even if we got past the obvious risks I don't know that I could, well you know, contribute.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

If I find a woman who wouldn't be at risk of death if I was, uhm, overly vigorous? But I don't see any calls from Lady Liberty soon so not likely.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Kind hearted and open, accepting of me for who I am. Someone who can know me and still loves me.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

Other than Alex not many. I got to know a few of the other kids fromt he program but we didn't really have alot of contact outside of that.

What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?

I've know Alex her whole life and as far back as I can remember. She's kinda always been there even when we got carted off after I hurt that poor kid. She's almost like a littel sister to me but a likea really smart telepathic littel sister that helps me on tests.

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

Alex definately, some of the other kids from the program ar close but it woudl depend what kind of trouble they had gotten in.

If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship?

Alex has always been there, half the time in my head she probably knows me better than I know myself honestly. I can't think of anything that Alex woudl evr do that woudl make me end it but I suppose in she went crazy mindbender and all that I might but I just don't see that ever happening and even if it seemed too I would have my doubts.

Do you have any bitter enemies?

Not really. Not really a full fledge Hero at this point.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

N/A

Have you defeated them before?

N/A

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

Well my family or alex would be obvious targets should I earn the enemity of nefarious types.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

The city and whole country really. And Alex and my family.

Who is your most trusted ally?

Alex

Who do you trust, in general?

I tend to trust the government despite my mom's ranting about the program, I mean they are right I am dangerous.

On a more personal level I trust my family and Alex, a couple of the other kids from the program I kinda trust but I don't even know if we'll see them again.

Who do you despise and why?

Bullies, those who prey on people weaker then themselves

Name seven things you hate in others.

Cruelty, Violent behavior, Abuse of power, Greed, Intolerance, Abuse of trust, Taking freedoms for granted and abusing them.

Is your image consistent?

Pretty much, I'm a sullen teen is pretty consistent.

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

I put up a pretty consistent presentation though in testing I tend to present myself as less capable than I am.

What would you die for?

The greater good though I'd rather not have too. I'd die to defend my parents or Alex or other innocents in danger.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Some of the testing methods got pretty extreme. There was a set of tests Alex says to see if my powers had an emotional componant, designed to upset me. They were made by profesionals with access to my psych evaluations so it was pretty rough.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

Feign disintrest then maybe write poetry about what might have been.

How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class?

I respect the control others have and ability to use thier powers in a non-reckless way.

Have you lost any loves?

Nope, Had pet goldfish once but that hardly counts.

How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?

N/A

Who would miss you should you go missing?

Well my Parents firstly, probably Alex pretty quickly. I might still be under survielance but they say they've stopped that.

How close are you to your adventuring companions?

I don't really have any yet. But before I do I woudl have to be pretty close, or at least I would get close to them quickly.

What do they not know about you?

I'm a pretty open book but I don't really bring up the incident.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement?

Nope, My dad tried to get me into the boyscouts but I wasn't into it and mom said the last thing I needed was paramilitary prep training.

Personality & Beliefs

Do you, or did you, have any role models?

My dad and grandfather, I really respect the little things they do and did to keep things going, I think too much attention is paid to "supers" and not enough to normal folks who day to day make things run.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

That said I think Heroes do have a place, and I personally am still inspired as many are by Centurion and his sacrafice.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Not, really though some of the testing in the program had me doubting the government for a bit but they did have the best intrest of the country at heart and I can respect that.

When did you decide to become an adventurer?

Haven't really though Alex likes to point out that it really is where our talents lie I don't think she takes the risks seriously enough.

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

Well I wouldn't call it a career but for a just cause is there another choice?

What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

Well I just hope I can manage not to cause more harm then good should I get pulled into a situation. If my actions led to innocents being hurt I would probably give up.

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

Well I most often wish I could just be normal but in my heart of hearts I dream of the Freedom League or other such grand heroism.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I hope to be able to blend in at this new school and that no one gets hurt, Its been along time since I was in general population with normal kids my age.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

The simple life a good job and maybe a family. Deep down though I hope I could be part of something bigger than me.

If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences?

Simply put I don't. I an pretty good at self denial and I know the hero dreams are just my Ego overiding the truth of how dangerous I am.

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

I have a perfectly rational fear of hurting others. I have grave destructive potential and must always be careful.

How do you react when this fear manifests itself?

I usually lock up and become indecisive.

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

I suppose its nice but if you have enough you don't really need more. My folks work hard for where they are and deserve what they have but they try and give back too.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

I tend to spend pretty freely but never having really wanted for anything I can't say that that would be the case when I'm on my own.

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

I guess its a kind of success but if thats how you measure your worth its pretty sad.

How do you generally treat others?

It varries I tend to be ratehr acerbic to new people and definately don't let people get close. But should you weather that and become my friend I'm actually pretty open and careing.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

Myself i don't trust at all and others I tend to not trust too easily but I will give people the benefit of the doubt in most cases.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

I'm more introverted over all though deep down I do crave compaionship.

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

An odd mix really I'm humble appearing but thats mostly due to my somewhat exagerated opinion of my own abilities.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

How they try to pressure me into doing more with my powers. Alex is also really nosy and kinda a tattletale.

What are your most annoying habits?

I'm a rather sullen grumpy teen boy thats pretty annoying in and of itself. the healthy dose of self loathing certainly doesn't help.

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

Well I'm pretty down on those who wish chaos and discord or tyranny but I don't think that unreasonable.

What is your favourite food?

I'm a simple creature and really a fan of a good burger

What is your favourite drink?

I usually just drink water, sometimes citrus juices.

What is your favourite treat (desert)?

I have a certain weakness for hot cinabons with the cream chees frosting

Do you favour a particular cuisine?

I like 'american' food mostly though will eat almost anything, I tend to not be able to fill up on asian cuisine though.

Do you savor the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?

I tend to bolt my food.

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

Doesn't make a big difference so long as the spices are complementary.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Not yet

What are your favourite colour(s)?

I'm a fan of dark colors back and sometiems deep blue or red.

Is there any colour that you dislike?

Pastels really rub me the wrong way

Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

I'm a fan of alot of music really mostly new rock alternative and some stuff from the college station.

If you have a favourite scent, what is it?

I like the smell right after a rainstorm up in the country.

What is your favourite type of animal?

Don't really have a favorite but I'm kinda partial to dogs I guess. My moms allergic so we coulc neer have one.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

Nope

Is there anything that enrages you?

I try really hard to never let my temper get the best of me though threats to my family or friends definatly strain that.

Is there anything which embarrasses you?

Sometimes I'm embarassed by things Alex shares but not in general.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I'm pretty happy with either, I like the outdoors but I'm certainly happy to have the comforts of home when I get back.

Do you have a patron deity?

Not really. My dads a non-practicing Apiscapalian and my mom likes to sing at the Unitarian church on the weekends but identifies as buddist most of the time. I kinda belive in a higher power but don't really have a name for it.

Are you devout or impious?

I respect religion but it isn't really for me.

Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?

I don't really do either. What worship I do is earnist but uncommon.

What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

Uhm I don't really have one so not far. I mostly belive in doing right.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

I suppose mostly by my parents indifferance.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

Not really part of an organized church of any kind.

Will you kill?

Never again. ((OOC note Mike thinks he likely killed the boy in second grade but the kid may have made a full recovery Mike just hasn't been really fully informed on it.))

When did you decide (or learn) that you would?

Even though it was an accident I still haven't forgiven myself for what I did to that boy.

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

Never, no matter how evil the person is you shouldn't sink to their level.

When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?

Always, Justifacations are just lies to yourself to hide from the truth of what you've done.

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

I would stop them. If I was unable to stop them I would try and apprehend them and turn them over t the authorities.

What if it were your enemy?

makes no difference.

What if it were your friend?

Same though I woudl try and understand why they had taken this step and if warrented lobby for lienence.

What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

Then its the responsability of the one controling them. There is always a better way than killing.

What would you do if something were stolen from you?

Probably report it stolen, if I knew who stole it I would try and get it back and find out why they felt the need to steal it, maybe help them if they were just that needy. If it was just greed turn them over to the authorities.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

Insult them back and sulk

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

Mourn them, bring the responsable party to justice and try and live up to their memory

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Kill, Harm innocents

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Genocide, Killing on such a scale is monsterous.

How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?

It vaies from ruler to ruler some are just some are incompetant and some are corrupt we shoudl aid the just, and help to correct the course of the others.

Do you support the current government of your homeland?

I do though some elements make me nervous

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

I'll defend the government however I can within my morals.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

Democracy, Freedom and equality. I'm not so naieve as to think its perfect but its better than the alternative.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

I tend to be quiet and even sullen, I hold myself apart and try not to let anyone get close. None the less I can be cought looking with a degree of longing to more social groups.

If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them.

Well I came to them kinda naturally, I hold others at arms length to protect them from me. New people especially friendly ones tend to bring this out more.

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

Not really, when my temper starts to get pricked I tend to look away and concentrate on other things.

What is your most treasured possession?

Don't really have one. I'm pretty fond of my iPod but things can be replaced.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

Tell my family how important they have been to me, Thank Alex for always being there, Find the boy I hurt and/or his family and tell them how sorry I am, Play catch with dad, Last game of slapjack with Alex.

Career & Training

Where and how were you educated?

Early education was in public school from 2nd to 10th grade was in a special program at ASTRO Labs under government contract.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

No one yet but I'm about to begin attendance of the Clairmont Academy

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

The teachers and doctors at fromt he program were nice enough but always a little skitish and secretive.

Is this person or institution still in existence?

Astro Labs is but offiacially at least the program has been shut down.

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

Kinda in the middle I did well on the standard curriculum but balked at much of the testing they performed.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

Most of them are just basic knowledge picked up at school, I do watch people pretty carefully and have honed my ability to read them to an extent as well as pick up details in general. I have worked as a stage hand with my mom on som community productions building sets and such as well.

Have you ever done anything else for a living?

Nope

How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?

I mostly try and keep the weaker people around safe, I'll take an attack meant for someone else if I can get in the way. When I'm forced on to the offensive I try and end it quickly before things get too out of hand with a powerfull attack.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Not yet

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

Not really, I mean eventually I need to get job training but I don't know what I want to do when I grow up, maybe construction I like working with my hands.

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

Well I'm not really envious but sullen and morose are kinda keywords for me.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?

School in the morning, then home to work on homework or just hang out. Sometimes Alex comes over or I go over to her house either for tutoring or just to hang out.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

If I get to miss school I'm pretty happy.

What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?

I some times work on backstage stuff and set building for comunity plays my mom gets involved in. I also write some when I have private time for it poetry mostly.

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

I like movies and though most video game controlers are too small I do enjoy some games. I'll play board games with Alex at her insistance as well.

How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?

I don't really have an 'adventuring' costume yet.

What do you normally wear in bed at home?

Boxers sometimes a t-shirt.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

Same?

Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?

Not in general

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

Don't have any.

What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

I eat a big breakfast and rush to catch the bus, in the evening I dodge questions about school from my parents over dinner and try and watch some TV in my room before bed.

Do these change when you are adventuring?

Not really. I mean I gues it would if i had to do stuff at night.

Travel: how do you get around locally?

Mostly public transit. I have my license but no car yet

Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

No, I don't really have anything to put in it.

What does it say?

N/A

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Being a good person, leaving this place better than I found it.

What kind of threat do you present to the public?

A prety signifigant one in my estimation. If I am carelss I can cuase a fair amount of destruction adn hurt people pretty bad.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body? The techs from the program might have some way of detecting the Terminus energies that they same infuse my tissues but that woudl be the same for Alex or likely any of the kids from the program.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

You can be better than this. You can do the right thing you know what it is. Step up and make the world a better place. You have the power to harm but also to help a great number and stop those that would use thier own powers to the detriment of the city and society in general. You have it in you to be a real hero like the Freedom League you just have to step up and do it. With power like yours comes responsability to not only not cause harm but to help standing on the sidelines when you could help is just as bad as doing it yourself.

First Flight

Ah the joys of child rearing in Freedom, and now on to our story.

Melinda Harris hoisted her son up onto her hip with a slight grunt, "Come on heavy boy, nap time." Little Mike pouted and let out a resounding "NO" in response. Melinda smiled at he two year old and tickled him lightly "Good words my big boy but its still nap time." She carefully picked her way across the minefield of discarded toys and down the hall to the nursurey while her young charge repeated a pleading "Doun?".

Melinda Gently laid him down in his crib with his favorite blanket and kissed her fingertips before touching them to the young childs forehead. "Night night sweet boy." She said as she slipped quietly across the room and gently shut the door. She stiffled a curse as she realised she had forgotton to turn on the monitor but shrugged and resolved to check in in a bit when he was hopefully asleep.

Melinda returned to the kitchen and continued to work on her active culture pickled beets. Hearing an odd noise from the nursery she rushed down the hall to find her son quietly playing on the floor, he beamed up at her and shouted "Momma, gu doun!" while pointing at himself. She was surprised but glad he hadn't fallen in clambering out of the crib and noted that they would have to convert to the toddler bed soon. She scooped up her son and lightly scolded, "You can play later Mike, right now is nap time." She stepped lightly back to the crib and layed him down once more with the reminder "Now no climbing big boy its nap time, ok." She waited for his confusion to settle and give her an assenting "u kay" before she slipped out of the room once more.

As the door clicked shut she turned to head back to the kitchen and remembering the monitor again sighed and returned to the room no longer wiling to rely on the noise traveling down the hall. She carefully turned the nob of the door and eased it open so as not to desturb the hopefully drowsing toddler. As the door swing open she was greeted by a happy squeal of "Momma, No clum." from her son as he hovered several feet off the ground in mid-air.

She lost focus for a moment and nearly fainted then rushed across the room to catch him before he fell. A few seconds after she had him in her arms his weight slowly settled as he babbled at her "Momma mi doun? mi doun?" pointing at the floor and his toys. She hushed him and rocked him as her pulse bgan to normalize. "Hush baby snuggle momma for a minute you scared momma." she said as she strode out of the nursery and back down the hall to pick up the phone and quickly dial a number.

Melindas heart was racing by the third ring, and before the person on the other end could offer greeting she interupted with "Rebbeca its Melinda, I need you to come over....no no everything is ok I... I just need you to come here." She paused for a moment as Rebecca responded then quickly replied "Yes yes of course bring Alex, I'll see you in a little bit then." and hung up the phone with a steadying breath and walked her son over to his play room and gently set him down to happily crash his cars together while she collapsed on the couch awaiting her friends arrival.

• 3 weeks later...

Nightmares

A bright sun shone down over a pleasant schoolyard. Children ran back and forth and clambered over the jungle gym. In a corner a young girl quietly played alone gently bouncing a ball off the wall, so caught up in the arc of the balls travel she didn't even notice the older boy come up behind her.

As the ball bounces back the taller boy reaches over her head and grabs it with a laugh and turns away calling to his friends that he 'found' a kick ball. The small girls sighs and takes a step back words of argument dying on her lips. A long shadow stretches across the yard as clouds race overhead at impossible speeds.

Suddenly another boy face shrouded in twisting shadow appears and grabs the bully roughly by the shoulder. The bully turns his face stark white as the blood drains from it, his features twisted in pain and terror at the sight of his assailent.

A deep voice full of malice intones solemly "That isn't yours." and the strange new boy points accusingly at the ball. The terrified bully tosses it lightly int he direction of the small girl and backs up a step stammering an appology. An almost animal growl escapes the strange boys mouth as he balls up one oversized fist.

In a flash that fist snaps out and brutally connects with a sickening thwack. The bully flies across the yard and lands slumped his neck bent at an impossible angle. The yard erupts in screams and the cries for help. A young teacher runs in horror to the fallen boys side. Blood drips from the meaty fist of his strange assailent.

The injured boy twitches and turns to his attacker, his eyes blazing red and points accusingly at the strange boy. A gurgling emerges from the ruins of the injured boys face that slowly turns to an angry scream "You killed me. MONSTER." The other children take up the chant "monster, monster, monster" the strange boy searches to find the small girl his eyes alight upon her as she draws back in fear from him.

Mikes eyes snap open, he's drenched in sweat and lets out a brief wordless roar as he flings himself upright sobbing into his hands mumbling between sobs "I didn't mean to.... I don't want to hurt anyone."

Inside the Journal

I present to you a sampling of what goes into Mikes everpresent Composistion book cum Journal.

First a sampling of 'Poetry'

Untitled

Around, all around, the mourners gather.

My dread grows as the Dark One's touch falls against my naked soul.

It smites me, and darkly my

essence drips

to the barren land.

In horror I hang my head

while nothingness looms.

Now alone, my fervent plea falls upon dead eyes.

Darkness Descends

the night falls without a sound, stricken are we.

the salvation for which you pine

flares once, then dies,

swept away by guilt.

all hope must fail.

your soul thrives no more.

how could you do this?

shadows surround us, crying,

we are fallen.

More to come...

• 4 weeks later...

Survielance Logs

May 25th

Subject along with Project Psyche utilize public transit to Downtown Freedom, Millenium Mall. Subject continues to refuse to utilize enhanced abilities even for casual purposes. Stores visited are in keeping with projected attendance of Claremont Academy in the fall. Purchases cash based, school supplies, generally plain and low cost, suggests lack of intrest in social norms of secondary school. Approached by security in bookstore, no action taken, possible meta-human activity responsible as officer vanishes from all media upon conclusion. Event seems to spook target. Target suggests leaving the scene companion agrees. Despite hurry public transit utilized once more returns immediatly home. Home Team resumes tracking.

Survielance Logs

May 26th 2009

Subject along with Project Psyche load personal possesions into the Albright family vehicle and are driven by Mrs. Albright to the airport. At airport they meet and collect one Erin White*. After airport short stop for food follows, quantities suggest subject can not yet subsist off energy reserves as projected, additional analysis may be neccisary.

Arrival at Claremont Accademy. Subject is met by a faculty member at the gate, Survielance handed off to Claremont Team**

*Background sweep suggests that Erin White is in residence in Seatle region, likely psuedonym further investigation pending.

**Claremont Team unreachable for hand off. Director level order to abandon direct Claremont Survielance.

Survielance Logs

June 2nd 2009,

Heavy Equipment moved to Claremont, manifest lists 'Coach Jones' as signee, Origin of ship ment untraceable, highly suspect. Further inquiry suggested*

June 12th 2009

Subject briefly spotted utilizing powers of flight, Psych analysis suggests more open enviroment may encourage subject to utilize powers more often. Possible additional fliers spotted One ID'd as Project Psyche. Crossreference with Project Psyche survielance**

*Request denied by director level order.

**Crossreference suggest Project Psyche may be able to utilize telekinesis to allow limited 'flight' in others.

Inside Mikes Journal

Poetry

Misunderstood

I am swimming in my own despair

confused

shattering

my dark soul cries out but no one listens

your soul leaves the inner thought

the blade kisses me deeply

utterly unloved, my only companion is the darkness

Hopes forgotten, dreams untouched, the final end

uncaring

no solace for the unforgiven

one day i too will take life

endless hopelessness

Haiku

Ripping at my soul

agony too deep to hold

My pain is expressed

A wonderful life.

I'm filled with disillusion

It is what god wants

My pain is expressed

as the dead dance their waltz thru

I fell from his grace

• 8 months later...

Teen Hero exclusive interview with the enigmatic Phalanx of Young Freedom in this special charity edition of Teen Hero*. Sorry girls its a phone interview No Pics this time.

TH: Thanks for talking to us Phalanx we're huge fans here at Teen Hero.

P: Uhhm thanks, Its for a good cause and all.

TH: So you're a Native Fredomite How has that effected your choice to become a hero?

P: Well its kinda natural I guess. I mean living in Freedom you see everyday the difference one person can make. I Just want to do my part.

TH: Many of our fans find you and your teammates to be some of the hottest young heroes around. How do you feel about being a sex symbol?

P: Ed. I Can almost hear the blushing SOOOOO Cute. Uh well uhm ... I dunno about that really. I've heard we made some list in your magazine but to be honest I don't follow those things too closely ... Yea I think that's more the other guys thing anyway.

TH: Well what makes you stand out on the team personality-wise then?

P: Well we really focus more on the team than any individuals I'd say I tend to be one of the more cautious and thoughtful team members but if theres one thing I've learned is there is definitely room for action over words in this business.

TH: So about the 'Business', What motivates you to go out and do all of this?

P: *Laughs* That's something I struggled with for a long time actually. But when it comes down to it when you can make a difference, you don't really have a choice not to. I mean I guess I could just sit at home and try for the normal life but when it comes down to it Idon't think I could stand by and do nothing while I can help people who need it.

TH: What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

P: My friends? *Laughs* Seriously though I think that they really are what keeps me going some days. Knowing that they understand why we do what we do. But they aren't a weakness at all, even when they do cause trouble. I can be overcautious sometimes hesitate when i should act. Its taken alot for me to realize that weakness but now its something I work on.

TH: What do you love? Hate?

P: Hmmm well I mean that's pretty broad. Skipping the easy out of freedom and tyranny respectively ... Well I love flying. Its incredible and I'm very lucky to be able to. I really really do hate bullies. I mean criminals and those types count but there's plenty of people who use their power to push weaker people around. I can't stand that kind of stuff.

TH: Ok now for the real low down. Some people say that even with all the power that heroes like yourself command you have to be a little crazy to do what you do what do you think about that?

P: Thats probably true in a way. Even with al our powers it is very dangerous. I think the question is can you live with the alternative? Personally I can't just stand by so that might be a kind of crazy but not one I'd ever want to change.

TH: What does you fear the most?

P: I used to be really afraid of myself actually. Of what I can do. Now I know that I'll do everything I can to do right by people and protect them. I sometimes worry what happens when it isn't enough but I wouldn't say I fear it.

TH: What is you greatest ambition?

P: *Laughs* I still don't even know what I want to be when I grow up. I guess i'd really like to be remembered well at the end of it all but that's kinda morbid really.

TH: How does you feel about the state of the world today?

P: Ya know its imperfect but there are good people trying to make it better everyday, will that ever really come to an end? I dunno I'm not much for philosophy all I know is I want to make it better however I can.

TH: Does you think you have any prejudices? How do you get along with others?

P: Erm well I certainly try not to have any prejudices. I dunno I don't really get along well with the types who think that they can cow the criminal element into flying the straight and narrow but they probably think I'm hopelessly optimistic.

TH: Who are you most loyal too? No this isn't a sneaky throwback to Moore era policies.

P: *Laughs* Well I would say there are a few special people who hold my loyalty above almost all else, But I'm not gonna name names. there's the Team of course as well and I mean I'm Proud to be an American and everything of course, but I don't really follow politics too closely.

TH: So is there any special lady in your life?

P: Yes.

TH: Details?

P: She's a very special person, I don't want to say too much though.

TH: What about you're family how do they feel about all of this?

P: They are very supportive. Of course they worry, but they know why I have to do this.

TH: How would the people closest to you describe you?

P: I think overall the opinion would be I need to lighten up some ... Possibly alot *Laughs*

TH: Are you a role model?

P: I try to be a good one. I know people are naturally going to look up to someone with my powers I just hope to provide an example to them all.

TH: Are you religious?

P: Well I was raised to believe in doing right, love thy neighbor and all that. I think that's definitely had an impact on who I am today but I don't know about religious per se. Of course I have met an angel so ...

TH: So tell us about Young Freedom.

P: Well the whole team thing happened really quickly. We just all stepped up to handle a situation and it went really well. I have some good friends there and we can do alot of good even though we are less experienced than some heroes.

TH: How do you feel about the place of metahumans and aliens on Earth?

P: People are people no matter how special or powerful or where they come from its who they are inside and what they do with what they have that makes the person.

TH: If you could give one piece of advice to our readers, what would it be?

P: Look at what you do with your day and ask yourself, 'Could I be doing more?' Don't hold back from what you really care about and try to make a little difference everyday.

*All Proceeds donated to the Rhodes Foundation Charitable Trust

• 2 months later...

Surveillance Logs

May 31 2010

Have re-established surveillance. Alpha Teams logs seem incomplete for last several months. Analysis suggests team may have been compromised by outside actors.

Project Phalanx seems to be much more open in display of powers. Confirmed as hero "Phalanx" of "Young Freedom", in addition to team actions surveillance suggests expansive active crime fighting. Still no signs of Terminus contact new energy detection array will be in place within a month. Relationship with Project Psyche has expanded, Possibility of sexual contact high given average of demographic. No confirmation possible without on campus surveillance.

Surveillance Logs

June 8th 2010

Energy detection array established. Still no signs of Terminus contact nor of Terminus leakage. Project Phalanx exhibiting abilities beyond even the projected limits. Some form of energy projection has been confirmed. Durability may well be beyond the Centurion at this time though without staging an attack with high explosives we are unlikely to confirm this supposition.

Subjects public demeanor has changed drastically. See updated photos for new appearance. With growing powers confidence level has grown. Appearance of normal socialization for his demographic at this time. Much of free time however spent in active pursuit of criminal elements as well as disaster response.