In Brief: Psychic super genius from birth thanks to being a T-baby

Residence: The AEON Foundation, her parents still live in a Freedom City Suburb
Base of Operations: Same as above
Catchphrase: "Are you really sure that's what you want to do?"

Alternate Identity: Alexandra Albright
Identity: Public
Birthplace: Freedom City
Affiliations: - 
Family: Parents: Victor and Rebecca Albright (nee Caldwell), Fiance: Michael Harris

Description:
Apparent Age: Same
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 110 lbs
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Strawberry blonde

Its taken years, but Alex has emerged from her awkward teen years as a slender, poised young woman. Her eyes are still too large and her gaze will always be too direct, too intent but she makes it work for her, most of the time. The ambient glow of her powers is once more under her control but without that tell, she’s still well known as who, and what, she is. Her red hair is still long but often pulled up out of her face as she works and she’s taken recently to wearing glasses - an affectation that she hopes blunts some of the unease her too-direct gaze can engender especially among her employees.

Quiet and but authoritative, Alex has never fully embraced business wear - she’s always got some sort of bright clashing colors somewhere although between employing a stylist and being a Fortune 500, her quirks have become not unpopular among a certain set of high society. 

Power Description:
Alex's powers, when they have visible manifestations tend to show a sparkling burst of psychic energy. The older she gets and the more control over her powers she possess, the more subtle the manifestations become. Alex has plenty of raw power - that's never been an issue - but her life is a struggle for control over those potent abilities and the more she masters them, the less obvious they are. These days her telepathy and mental affects are much harder to discern and even her telekinetic might doesn't show to the naked eye unless she is truly straining at which point the sparks of the psychic energy from her Terminus based mutation might begin to show through.

History:
Alex's mother and father, Rebecca and Victor Albright, were relatively normal citizens of Freedom City. It's true that Rebecca once moonlighted as a bow-toting side-kick to a D-list hero, but those days were long behind her as she and Victor tried to start a family. After struggling to conceive, they were overjoyed when Alex was finally on the way.

Unfortunately, the terminus invasion occurred while Rebecca was at the hospital's class on childbirth. The entire class was bathed in the energies of one of the portals but Rebecca and another pregnant mother escaped the escalating battle. It was little surprise that the two mothers-to-be became fast friends or that Alex and the other woman's son, Michael, were thrown together often.

What was surprising was that when Alex, who had always been precocious, started to talk, she talked about everything. Including the thoughts other people had and things she couldn't possibly manage to see. Rebecca, a stay-at-home mother, spent her young daughter's early years trying to teach the clever child to keep her powers under wraps and, also, how impolite it was to go reading other people's thoughts.

Reluctantly, but confident that she had impressed the importance of secrecy on her offspring, Alex was enrolled in school with her friend Michael. When Michael hit another boy and knocked him across the room and near through a wall, Alex couldn't help but volunteer - loudly and firmly - that they were all lying, the boy was badly hurt. She knew because she read their thoughts. She even went so far to prove it. Not because she hadn't listened to her mother but felt that if Michael was going to be in trouble, she ought to be in the same trouble as the fight was at least partially her fault. Both children were outed as 'supers', and Alex spent the next decade or so busing into a government contracted facility instead of a normal school environment and then home.

Rebecca grew more and more concerned as Alex grew older and when Alex was around ten, began trying to get her out of the program and into Claremont instead as Rebecca, rightly or wrongly, was convinced that eventually the government would seek to turn her baby into a soldier. It took every contact Rebecca had from her long forgotten super-days but getting put into Claremont was the best thing that could have happened to Alex.

Graduating with honors, after her school and life in the teenage super-hero group, Alex’s life was forever altered by her interactions with her time-displaced offspring. Rather than college, Alex founded the AEON foundation, a group focusing on ethical metahuman studies - coming out as a Terminus-child and former super-hero, the young billionaire has hung up her spandex and turned to a life of philanthropy and research. Of course, nothing lasts forever.

Personality & Motivation:
These days, the best word to describe Alex is ‘driven’, she’s turned AEON and its research into a force to be reckoned with, creating a billion dollar empire based on ethical research. Combining that with outing herself as a Terminus baby with the determination to prove the the entire world how good she can be, it’s a lot. Even for Alex’s super brain, it’s a lot. Without the team of Young Justice to balance her, Alex is deeply lonely but she buries it in her work.

Although by nature a rule follower with a strong ethical code, her loyalty to her friends and family will always outweigh her other desires. She doesn't have much of a temper, but once riled can proving surprisingly stubborn.

As Alex has grown up with powers, she has had to learn telepathic ethics the hard way. These days, Alex finds 'snooping' uncalled for in most circumstances. There are, of course, exceptions but Alex is never one to pry - especially with strangers - unless the situation requires it. The only exception is the friend with whom she shares a permanent communication link. She feels completely free to poke around in his brain when the mood strikes.

Powers & Tactics:
Alex has done many interviews about her powers and she often… edits her answers carefully. Telepaths make people uncomfortable and no one knows this better than Alex.

Her psychic powers are formidable and expansive. She can read minds, alter memories, manipulate material with an ever increasing fitness and despite what she’s on the record about, internal tests at AEON show that she’s not yet plateaued on her growth and potential in opposition to what she’d believed as a teenager.

Alex is without question a genius well above typical human capacity. Although she’s ostensibly no longer the costumed Psyche, that she was is a matter of record and she still keeps in practice at her own training ground, ‘just in case’. Her powers are more deft these days - Alex would still rather stop a conflict before its begun than smash someone with a ton of rocks.

Alex can scan for thoughts miles away and extend her senses well outside her immediate presence. She's aware that she can even wrest control of a person's actions away from them but finds that both unsettling, and ethically distasteful although she’s done it in the past, and may very well in the future. She can also alter memories and emotions but is always cautious of not only the ramifications but the potential reaction to her actions.

Complications:

Famous: Not only is Alexandra Albright famous, but her alter ego is a matter of public record as are her origins as a Terminus baby. Alex does her best to keep her visible public identity as an advantage but there are many, many ways it can be used against her. 

Responsibilities: Alex has a small empire that she's built and while she considers her super-hero alter ego not a full time identity, there are the inevitable conflicts. She has friends and teammates that depend on her and family that are certainly not super heroes. 

Terminus Baby: Alex's power origin comes from being in utero as an infant during the Terminus invasion. Despite her best efforts to undo that damage, preconceptions and prejudice exists. 

Abilities: -2 + 0 + 0 + 26 + 26 + 8 = 58PP
Strength: 8 (-1)
Dexterity: 10 (+0)
Constitution: 10 (+0)
Intelligence: 36 (+13)
Wisdom: 36 (+13)
Charisma: 18 (+4)

Combat: 8 + 10 = 18PP
Initiative: +0
Attack: +4 Base
Grapple: +3 (+4, -1 Str)
Defense: +10 (+5 Base, +5 Dodge Focus), +2 Flatfooted
Knockback: -6

Saves: 2 + 2 + 0 = 4PP
Toughness: +12 (+0 Con, +12 Protection)
Fort: +2 (+0 Con, +2)
Reflex: +2 (+0 Dex, +2)
Will: +13 (+13 Wis, +0)

Skills: 136r = 34PP
Computers 9 (+22) Skill Mastery
Concentration 9 (+22)
Gather Information 11 (+15)
Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences) 9 (+22)
Knowledge (Business) 4 (+17)
Knowledge (Civics) 4 (+17)
Knowledge (Earth Sciences) 4 (+17)
Knowledge (History) 4 (+17)
Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 9 (+22)
Knowledge (Life Sciences) 9 (+22)
Knowledge (Technology) 9 (+22)
Medicine 5 (+18)
Notice 17 (+30) Skill Mastery
Search 17 (+30) Skill Mastery
Sense Motive 17 (+30) Skill Mastery

Feats: 21PP
Benefit 5 (CEO of AEON, Fame, Wealth 3)
Dodge Focus 5
Equipment 6 (30 EP)
Eidetic Memory
Jack of All Trades
Master Plan
Skill Mastery (Computers, Notice, Search, Sense Motive)
Well Informed

Equipment: 30EP = 6PP

• AEON Foundation (HQ) Size: Gargantuan [4EP], Toughness: 14 [4EP], Features: Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Defense System 2, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Gym, Hanger, Holding Cells 2, Infirmary, Lab, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Pool, Power 2 [Teleporter], Power System, Security System, Worskhop [23 EP] - [Total 29EP]

• Power 2: Teleport 10 (20,000 miles; Extras: Accurate, Affects Others, Flaws: Limited [To/From Manor]; Drawbacks: Power Loss 2 [Teleport Beacon]) [28PP]

• Teleport Beacon (watch) [1EP] 

Powers: 4 + 12 + 1 + 6 + 55 = 78PP

Flight 2 [4 pp]

Protection 12 [12 pp]

Psychic Array 22 (44PP; Feats: Alternate Power 11) [55PP]

• BE: Blast 11 (Psionic; Extra: Alternate Save [Will], Mental [+0], Range [Perception]) {44/44}

• AP: Communication 12 (Mental, 20,000,000 miles; Extras: Area, Linked; Feats: Subtle, Selective) + Comprehend 5 (Speak, Read and Write All Languages Simultaneously, Codes; Extra: Linked; Flaw: Duration/Sustained) {26 + 5 = 31/44}

• AP: Concealment 10 (All Senses; Extra: Affects Others, Area; Feats: Close Range, Selective) {42/44}

• AP: Create Object 11 (Extra: Impervious; Feats: Progression 5, Stationary, Selective) {40/44}

• AP: Emotion Control 10 (Extras: Area, Mental [+0], Selective; Feats: Subtle) {41/44}

• AP: ESP 12 (200,000,000 miles, Visual/Auditory; Extra: Duration [Sustained]; Flaw: Action [Standard]; Feats: Subtle, Rapid 6 [1,000,000 times faster]) {43/44}

• AP: Healing 10 (Extras: Affects Objects, Total; Feats: Persistent, Regrowth) {42/44}

• AP: Illusion 11 (All Senses; Extras: Mental [+0], Selective; Flaw: Phantasms) {44/44}

• AP: Mind Control 10 (Extra: Conscious, Duration [Sustained], Mental [+0]; Feats: Mental Link, Subtle) {42/44}

• AP: Mind Reading 11 (Extras: Action [Move/Standard], Area, Mental [+0], Selective) {44/44}

• AP: Move Object 11 (Str 70; Extra: Range [Perception]; Feats: Subtle, Precise) {35/44}

• AP: Mental Transform 10 (Alter Memories; Extras: Duration [Continuous], Mental [+0], Range [Perception] Feat: Subtle) {41}

Super-Sense 6 (Psychic Senses; Normal Mental Sense: Accurate [2], Acute [1], Radius [1], Ranged [1]; Detect Mood [Mental]) [6PP]

Super Senses 1 (Communication Link: Michael/Phalanx) [1PP]

DC Block:
ATTACK                RANGE        SAVE             EFFECT
Unarmed               Touch        DC14 Toughness   Bruise/Injury
(Psionic) Blast 11    Perception   DC26 Will        Bruise/Injury
Emotion Control 10    Perception   DC20 Will        Special
Illusion 11           Perception   DC21 Will        Special
Mind Control 10       Perception   DC20 Will        Special
Mind Reading 11       Perception   DC21 Will        Special
Mental Transform 10   Perception   DC20 Will        Special

Costs: Abilities (58) + Combat (18) + Saves (4) + Skills (34) + Feats (21) + Powers (78) - Drawbacks (0) = 213/221 PP

Stats: ((-2)+0+0+10+10+0=18pp)

Str: 8 (-1)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 20/26 (+5, +8)

Wis: 20/26 (+5, +8)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Adds up

Combat: (4+6=10pp)

Attack: +2

Grapple: +1 (+2, Str -1)

Defense: +3, +1 Flatfooted

Knockback: -0

Adds up, but I must mention, you'd save a point if you bought an even base defense and dodge focus 1 (and its mechanically the same). Not that you have to do it, just a suggestion.

Saves: (2+3+1=6pp)

Toughness: +0

Fort: +2 (+2, +0 Con)

Reflex: +2 (+3, +0 Dex)

Will: +6 (+1, +5 Wis)

Adds up, though are you sure you want no toughness at all? It's a harsh world out there without it :P

Skills: (44r = 11pp)

Computers 4 (+9/+12 w/ Enhanced Int)

Concentration 8 (+13/+16 w/ Enhanced Wis)

Gather Information 4 (+4)

Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences) 4 (+9/+12 w/Enhanced Int)

Knowledge (Civics) 4 (+9/+12 w/Enhanced Int)

Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 4 (+9/+12 w/Enhanced Int)

Knowledge (Technology) 4 (+9/+12 w/Enhanced Int)

Language 2 (Spanish, French, native: English)

Notice 5 (+10/+13 w/Enhanced Wis)

Sense Motive 5 (+10/+13 w/Enhanced Wis

Adds up.

Feats: (3 = 3pp)

Eidetic Memory

Master Plan

Well Informed

Adds up

Powers: (1+4+7+30= 42 pp)

Communication Link 1 (Michael/Phalanx) [1pp]

Flight 2 [4pp]

Enhanced Trait 3 (Wisdom) (PF: Alternate Power) [7pp]

AP: Enhanced Trait 3 (Intelligence)

Telepathic Array 12 (24pp powers; PFs: Alternate Power x 6) [30pp]

BE: Damage 6 (psionic) (Extra: Alternate Save (Will), Range x 2 (perception)) {24}

AP: Telepathy 10 (Linked: Communication 10 [Mental, 200,000 miles] + Mind Reading 6 [ Extra: Action {Free/Full}], Feats: Rapid [x10], Subtle) {24}

AP: Concealment 10 (PF: Close Range, Extra: Affects Others, Flaw: Phantasm) {21}

AP: Emotion Control 6 (PF: Subtle, Extra: Area) {19}

AP: ESP 6 (20 miles, All Senses) {24}

AP: Mind Control 6 (PF: Subtle, Extra: Sensory Link) {19}

AP: Mental Transform 6 (Extras: Duration: Continuous, Range: Perception) {24}

Communication Link: Looks good

Flight: Please note how fast she moves

Wisdom and Intelligence: These should equal up to how many points you bought, not your modifier.

Telepathic Array: The only problem is the Telepathy. The Communication part is OK, but the Mind Reading has a kink. The action extra lowers both actions. This would be Free/Move. All in all, this power is more than 24 points: Communication (10pp), Mind Reading (18), Power Feats (2).

Drawbacks: (+1pp)

Vulnerable (minor: fire) (+1pp)

Adds up.

DC Block:

ATTACK --- RANGE --- SAVE --- TYPE

Unarmed --- Melee --- DC15/Toughness (Staged) --- Bruise/Injury

(Psionic) Damage 6 --- Perception --- 21/Willpower (Staged) --- Bruise/Injury

Emotional Control 6 --- Perception --- 16/Willpower --- Special

Mind Control 6 --- Perception --- 16/Willpower --- Special

Mind Reading 6 --- Perception --- 16/Willpower --- Special

Mental Transform 6 --- Perception --- 16/Willpower --- Special

Only problem here is your unarmed damage. You have -1 Strength modifier, that adds into it.

Made the following changes:

Bought dodge focus, dropped defense to 2 and then bought 4 ranks of search with the extra point.

Made the formatting changes to flight speed, ehanced trait and corrected the unarmed save.

I'm okay with the no toughness for the moment as I know and expect her to be squishy. I'm going to buy a second telekinetic array for her as she starts to do the hero shtick but atm she's never been in a fight :)

Left the telepathic array alone as I know you're researching it.

The biggest concern to jump out at me is that I'm not sure you realize just how fragile she is with +0 Toughness.

On an average roll, against someone of equal PL with a PL 6 damage effect, she's going to be stunned & staggered (and disabled if lethal). (On average you'll get a 10 on the Toughness save, vs. DC 21, which fails by more than 10).

No, I do understand that. If you have grave concerns, I can squeeze out an extra power point for her array but for defensive powers, I was relying on her concealment and range.

It doesn't bother or frustrate me that she's so vulnerable to attack once she drops concealment for an offensive power. I honestly couldn't justify a telepathic power that added to her toughness so I decided on concealment as an active defense.

You know what I can do? I'll drop a save a point and fold flight into the TK array I was planning on giving her as conceptually that's a tk power too. Then I'll get a low end forcefield as the AP to flight. Lemme put that in there. That'll give her some protection.

I honestly couldn't justify a telepathic power that added to her toughness so I decided on concealment as an active defense.

I can ;) -- Enhanced Feats (Defensive Roll). You know where the attacks are coming from, so you an roll with it to avoid the brunt of the damage.

But your way works, too.

What will you be doing with this character? What does/will she do that will make others see her as a heroine?

I'm still a tad concerned with her defense/toughness. With a Defense of +3 and a Toughness of +4, she's effectively PL 4 in that regard. PL 2 if her Force Field's not up, like if she's flying.

(Though I'm guessing your plan is to have Phalanx interposing for you to shield her. Yes, we see what you did there.)

The Communication Link should be Super-Senses 1 (Communication Link).

For the BE in her Telepathy Array, please change it to Mental Blast 6 {24}.

Why is she vulnerable to fire?

Well I designed her as a comunications/recon and investigation character. Yes she's below power cap on defense because she's a fifteen year old girl that's brand new at super heroing. She has a decent damage when she has to attack but is more likely to control or move bystanders out of the way. She has a heroic nature and a stong moral code. Her story arc is to grow into a hero, pushed by her own moral compass to use her powers to make the world a better place.

I didn't design her just to stand behind Phalanx and blast people with her brain but its certainly a good tactic in a full blown fight. She has the potential to step up and lead a team eventually but would cope with acting as recon just as well.

She's a controller/support character so I feel pretty justified in having her combat capabilities be below cap for her PL. She isn't right now a heavy combat character and relies on diversion and control mechanics in a fight and in a solo confrontation would rely on those sort of techniques.

I'll retool the two corrections. The drawback is because I copied Phantoms format and left the drawback in. Psyche has no drawbacks, I think the low defense is plenty! It isn't included in the math at the bottom of the page and is removed.

• 5 months later...

Players Name: alderwitch

Power Level: 11 (160/165 pp)

Trade-Offs: Toughness +3/Defense -3

Unspent PP: 5

Characters Name: Psyche

Alternate Identity: Alexandra Albright

Height: 5' 3"

Weight: 110 lbs

Hair: Strawberry Blond

Eyes: Hazel

Description:

Petite and slender, Alex is finally starting to grow out of her awkward stage. Unlike many others in her age group, Alex makes no effort to look any older than she actually is. She still tends to wear her hair in fat plaits. She favors brightly striped tights and flared knee skirts or thick chunky sweaters in bold colors and pegged jeans. The comfort Alex has in her own skin keeps her looks on the charming side of quirky. Since the recent 'puberty' of her powers, she's surrounded in a corona of glowing energy that's the visual manifestation of her telekinetic protection.

Her features have a striking quality that she has finally started to grow into. Her eyes are still too large and her chin still too pointed, but her nature is sweet enough to shine through the physical imperfections.. Much of the time she does seem perpetually startled or at least quizzical.

Despite her fragile, coltish appearance, Alex has a disarming charm to her. She laughs when she's nervous and is quick to chatter at strangers.

History:

Alex's mother and father, Rebecca and Victor Albright, were relatively normal citizens of Freedom City. It's true that Rebecca once moonlighted as a bow-toting side-kick to a D-list hero, but those days were long behind her as she and Victor tried to start a family. After struggling to conceive, they were overjoyed when Alex was finally on the way.

Unfortunately, the terminus invasion occurred while Rebecca was at the hospital's class on childbirth. The entire class was bathed in the energies of one of the portals but Rebecca and another pregnant mother escaped the escalating battle. It was little surprise that the two mothers-to-be became fast friends or that Alex and the other woman's son, Michael, were thrown together often.

What was surprising was that when Alex, who had always been precocious, started to talk, she talked about everything. Including the thoughts other people had and things she couldn't possibly manage to see. Rebecca, a stay-at-home mother, spent her young daughter's early years trying to teach the clever child to keep her powers under wraps and, also, how impolite it was to go reading other people's thoughts.

Reluctantly, but confident that she had impressed the importance of secrecy on her offspring, Alex was enrolled in school with her friend Michael. When Michael hit another boy and knocked him across the room and near through a wall, Alex couldn't help but volunteer - loudly and firmly - that they were all lying, the boy was badly hurt. She knew because she read their thoughts. She even went so far to prove it. Not because she hadn't listened to her mother but felt that if Michael was going to be in trouble, she ought to be in the same trouble as the fight was at least partially her fault. Both children were outed as 'supers', and Alex spent the next decade or so busing into a government contracted facility instead of a normal school environment and then home.

Rebecca grew more and more concerned as Alex grew older and when Alex was around ten, began trying to get her out of the program and into Claremont instead as Rebecca, rightly or wrongly, was convinced that eventually the government would seek to turn her baby into a soldier. It took every contact Rebecca had from her long forgotten super-days but Alex is just about to start her first 'normal' school.

Personality & Motivation: Despite her fragile, coltish appearance, Alex has a disarming charm to her. She laughs when she's nervous and is quick to chatter at strangers. Although she's aware of her intellect enough to know that she's unusual, she has no ego wrapped up in her skills and no competitive streak to speak of.

Used to her own social awkwardness, Alex has long given up on being anything other than a misfit and in that she's found a measure of freedom. She indulges in her love of board games and distressing fashion sense with a childlike glee.

Although by nature a rule follower with a strong ethical code, her loyalty to her friends and family tends to outweigh her desire to remain out of trouble. She doesn't have much of a temper, but once riled can proving surprisingly stubborn.

As Alex has grown up with powers, she has had to learn telepathic ethics the hard way. These days, Alex finds 'snooping' uncalled for in most circumstances. There are, of course, exceptions but Alex is never one to pry - especially with strangers - unless the situation requires it. The only exception is the friend with whom she shares a permanent communication link. She feels completely free to poke around in his brain when the mood strikes.

Powers & Tactics: If you asked Alex about her powers, she would tell you that she has an 'overly-efficient and flexible brain'. The tests she's taken at various stages of her life reveal her to be accessing more of her mind's potential every year.

Currently, she is capable of switching whether the left or right side of her brain is more dominant, allowing her to look at problems both analytically and creatively. She tests at peak human potential at the moment although she anticipates tipping over into super-powered levels if she keeps up her studies. It is Alex's personal theory that how her brain develops is based purely on the directions she pushes it in. This theory is substantiated by the fact that she can propel herself through air, a skill she stubbornly tried to master after envying the flight abilities of others.

It is this theory that keeps Alex from truly devoting herself to one arena of study. Instead she continues to expand the breadth of her learning.

Psionics is where the bulk of her 'super powers' lie. These days Alex can scan for thoughts miles away and extend her senses well outside her immediate presence. She's aware that she can even wrest control of a person's actions away from them but finds that both unsettling, and ethically distasteful. In addition to merging the portions of her brain that manipulate psychic energy into one powerful whole, the secondary burst of energies has embued Alex with a permanent - if glowing - field of protection.

Complications:

Teenager: Alex is only fifteen, not old enough to drive and has all the fun and complications there-width.

Registered: Due to Alex's past history of government funded-tests. She has a file that anyone with high enough security could get access to. It details far too much of her life, her abilities and her potentials. It also includes information on her family and friends.

Responsibilities: To her family, her friends, her teammates and the daughter who's come back from the future, Alex has a lot on her plate.

Stats: ((-2)+0+0+16+16+8=38pp)

Str: 8 (-1)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 26 (+8)

Wis: 26 (+8)

Cha: 18 (+4)

Combat: (8+8=16pp)

Attack: +4

Grapple: +3 (+4, Str -1)

Defense: +6 (+4, Dodge Focus +2), +2 Flatfooted

Knockback: -7

Saves: (2+2+0=4pp)

Toughness: +0, +14 (with protection)

Fort: +2 (+2, +0 Con)

Reflex: +2 (+2, +0 Dex)

Will: +8 (+8 Wis)

Skills: (48r = 12pp)

Computers 4 (+12)

Concentration 8 (+16)

Gather Information 4 (+8)

Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences) 4 (+12)

Knowledge (Civics) 4 (+12)

Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 4 (+12)

Knowledge (Technology) 4 (+12)

Language 2 (Spanish, French, native: English)

Notice 5 (+13)

Search 4 (+12)

Sense Motive 5 (+13)

Feats: (11pp)

Benefit 1 (Wealth 1)

Dodge Focus x 2

Equipment 5

Eidetic Memory

Master Plan

Well Informed

Caldwell Manor (HQ) Size: Huge [3 ep], Toughness: 10 [1 ep], Features: Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Concealed, Defense System x 2, Garage, Gym, Hanger, Infirmary, Lab, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Pool, Power 2: Teleporter, Power System, Security System [19 ep] - Total EP: 23

Power 2: Teleport 10 (20,000 miles), Drawbacks: Power Loss 2 (Teleport Beacon), Extras: Accurate, Affects Others, Flaws: Limited (To/From Manor)

Teleport Beacon and Communicator (belt buckle) [1 ep]

Powers: (80 pp)

Flight 2 [4 pp]

Protection 14 (Drawback: Noticable) [13 pp]

Super Senses 2 (Communication Link: Michael/Phalanx, Zoe/Zephyr) [2pp]

Psychic Super Sense: Normal Mental Sense, Accurate (2), Acute (1), Radius (1), Ranged (1), Detect Mood (1) [6 pp]

Psychic Array 12 (44pp powers; PFs: Alternate Power x 11) [55pp]

BE: Blast 11 (psionic) (Extra: Alternate Save (Will), Mental, Range (Perception)) {44}

AP: Communication 12 (Mental, 20,000,000 miles) (Extra: Two Way, Area; PF: Subtle, Selective) Linked: Comprehend 5 (Languages, Codes, Flaw: Duration/Sustained) {43}

AP: Concealment 10 (all; Extra: Affects Others, Area; PF: Close Range, Selective) {42}

AP: Create Object 11 (Extra: Impervious; PF: Progression x 5, Stationary, Selective) {40}

AP: Emotion Control 10 (Extra: Area, Mental, Selective; PF: Subtle) {41}

AP: ESP 12 (200,000,000 miles, Visual/Auditory; Extra: Duration: Sustained, Flaw: Action: Standard, PF: Subtle, Rapid x 6 (1,000,000 times faster)) {43}

AP: Healing 10 (Extra: Affects Objects, Total; PF: Persistent, Regrowth) {42}

AP: Illusion 11 (All Senses; Extra: Mental, Selective; Flaw: Phantasms) {44}

AP: Mind Control 10 (Extra: Conscious, Duration/Sustained, Mental; PF: Mental Link, Subtle) {42}

AP: Mind Reading 11 (Extra: Action: Move/Standard, Area, Mental, Selective) {44}

AP: Move Object 11 (Str 70; Extra: Range/Perception; PF: Subtle, Precise) {35}

AP: Mental Transform 10 (Completely alter the targets memories (2/r); Extras: Duration/Continuous, Mental, Range/Perception, PF: Subtle) {41}

Drawbacks: (0)

DC Block:

ATTACK --- RANGE --- SAVE --- TYPE

Unarmed --- Melee --- DC14/Toughness (Staged) --- Bruise/Injury

(Psionic) Blast 11 --- Perception --- 26/Willpower (Staged) --- Bruise/Injury

Emotional Control 10 --- Perception --- 20/Willpower --- Special

Illusion 11 --- Perception --- 21/Willpower --- Special

Mind Control 10 --- Perception --- 20/Willpower --- Special

Mind Reading 11 --- Perception --- 21/Willpower --- Special

Mental Transform 10 --- Perception --- 20/Willpower --- Special

Costs: Abilities (38) + Combat (16) + Saves (4) + Skills (12) + Feats (11) + Powers (80) - Drawbacks (0) = 160/165 PP

When I submitted The Scarab, DocA ruled that since ESP takes a Standard Action to maintain (since it's Concentration duration), and extended searches require a Full Action, ESP cannot be used to make extended searches (pretty much the only use for the power) "out of the box." As far as he is concerned, the search action is not included in the actions necessary to activate or maintain the power. He thinks that it is useless out of the box "by design." I disagreed with this ruling more vehemently than I have any other decision of his that I can recall, but to no avail.

Thus, I would highly recommend you drop the Action on your ESP power from Move to Standard and increase the Duration from Concentration to Sustained, so that you can actually use the power.

If you buy your Telekinesis up to Perception range, it is capped at the PL. Your grapple modifier when using Perception TK is (Power Rank)x2.

The Rapid feat / Quickness power does not apply to Mind Reading. "Rapid" is just linked Quickness with a -2 flaw because it is limited to a single task. You can't take 20 on Mind Reading checks. For faster Mind Reading, apply the Action extra.

I would be a lot more comfortable if your Mental Transform power was just at the Memory Alteration level, so you would have to Extra Effort a power stunt for the more unbelievably devastating applications.

Any particular reason you chose a persistent Protection effect instead of a telekinetic Force Field?

+2/+2/+8 is a really low set of exotic saves for a PL11 character. Snares won't really bother her, since she can still fly around and hit people with her Perception-range powers. But if anyone with a Fortitude power so much as glances in her direction, it's very likely they'll take her out of the fight on the first try.

Good point, Ecal. I definitely understand why her INT and WIS are no longer arrayed together, but I don't understand why no part of them is Enhanced anymore. Isn't her intelligence explicitly mentioned as part of her powers in the fluff?

There is a bookkeeping error in her Super-Senses. Making a sense Accurate costs 2 ranks. Making it Ranged only costs 1 rank. The total cost is the same - it's just a typo.

Also, you should specify which, if any, of her Perception-range Will effects have the "Mental (+0)" extra. It's from UP. It changes the effect type to "Sensory (Mental)." Sensory powers affect Insubstantial targets normally. Mental Sensory powers don't affect any foe who doesn't have 1+ in all 3 mental Abilities (INT/WIS/CHA), fall under the 10PP Immunity to "Mental Effects," and are Subtle by default - the target, and anyone with Mental Awareness, notices the effect automatically, but any observers have to make a Notice check. If the effect is both Mental and Subtle, then even the target and observers with Mental Awareness have to make a Notice check to know anything's happening.

Powers with the "Phantasm (-1)" flaw work pretty much the same way as Mental effects do. Speaking of which...why does her psychic concealment power not have the Phantasm flaw?

When I submitted The Scarab, DocA ruled that since ESP takes a Standard Action to maintain (since it's Concentration duration), and extended searches require a Full Action, ESP cannot be used to make extended searches (pretty much the only use for the power) "out of the box." As far as he is concerned, the search action is not included in the actions necessary to activate or maintain the power. He thinks that it is useless out of the box "by design." I disagreed with this ruling more vehemently than I have any other decision of his that I can recall, but to no avail.

Less "by design" and more "they seem to have not fully realized what they did when they made the power." I.e., I'm sure it was not their intent to require the addition of Extras to make ESP do what it should, but that does seem to be what happened.

That said, if the other Refs feel I'm wrong and Shaen's right on this, I'm perfectly willing to change my ruling.

On a separate note, what's with that Affects Objects (and People) Persistent Regrowth Healing power? In my experience, Psychics aren't typically healers, and when they are, it's almost always the Empathic type.

Affects Objects Healing = Telekinetically putting broken items back together? But with no Craft/Repair skills? Then again, with the Knowledge/Technology skill, she does theoretically know How Things Work.

Persistent I'm leery of/think should be rare, since it trumps Incurable (something else I'm leery of/think should be rare). Most of the chars here with Incurable damage are supernatural beings (Avenger, Belphegor, Exile, Grimalkin, Hellion, and Kharhotep; Dark Star's a notable exception), so it seems to me healing for those wounds should be supernatural as well (though again Dark Star is the freakish exception). (I do find it odd that the only chars with Incurable anything in any of the M&M books are Eldritch Abominations from Book of Magic... but they don't have Incurable Damage, they have Incurable Confusion!) But, if the others are okay with it, I'll not stop them.

ESP - Can I get a final answer on this before I points juggle, please?

TK - dropped to PL

Mind Reading - removed rapid, added the extra.

Mental Transform - Okay, frankly, I see this as a fluff power. I cannot ever see Alex using anything but the memories portion of it, but I see her as able to do it thematically without having to strain which is what extra effort really means. I can drop it to the 3 per rank if its really that big a deal. I'd rather not.

Protection - I picked protection as I wanted something not in an array and permanent. Doing that with a forcefield would have cost way more points.

Saves - The will save is low as I ran out on points but thematically, there is no good reason that Alex should have high fort or reflex saves. She's not quick or hardy. I'd like to round them up to +5 eventually but don't see them going higher than that.

High traits - Yes, the terminus energies have enhanced her brain but I bought her up to human max with attribute points. Anything over that will be psychic enhancement but even without her psychic powers, her intellect can't be negated.

Added mental descriptor to powers.

Concealment works with cameras as she can use her mental powers to cloud minds while moving cameras etc with her tk. Its part of the integration of her powers into one psychic array.

Similarly, her healing is TK based rather than empathic a la Phoenix's molecular manipulation. At the moment, she can only restore things as that's much easier than modification or creation. Her create object is still limited to force constructs.

I have to agree with Shaen's critique of the ESP power. If a Ref doesn't want someone's super-fast ESP searching to find whatever, just give them an HP for the complication. ;)

As you and I have discussed your strategies in character-building by IM, there's nothing here I have a problem with. (i.e.; she has Protection because her Toughness boost from her powers doesn't go away) Here's your first Approval!

APPROVED

Similarly, her healing is TK based rather than empathic a la Phoenix's molecular manipulation. At the moment, she can only restore things as that's much easier than modification or creation. Her create object is still limited to force constructs.

... Phoenix (Jean Grey) only has Molecular Manipulation when acting as a host for the Phoenix Force. Well, until the last decade or so, when she'd been using them so long Death/Claremont said the powers were part of her. (Or they really were hers all along, that's why Phoenix Force chose her in the first place... it's confusing.)

So Psyche's supposed to (eventually) be something like the love-child of Jean Grey & Molecule Man? An Omega-level Mutant? I mean, I know that's a too-easy-not-to-use pun based on the source of her powers...

Sort of. Alex has always been designed to do the marvel girl into phoenix type of arc. Her PL14 form is a cosmically powerful psychic. Molecular manipulation is one extrapolation of those powers, yes. Being who she is, this is the first manifestation of that potential and of course she would use it to put things right. Alex is a caregiver after all.

Overall, I don't have a problem with anything I've read here so far.

ESP - Can I get a final answer on this before I points juggle, please?

If DocA's ruling on ESP gets changed, I'll let you know. For now, just build with it in mind.

Mental Transform - Okay, frankly, I see this as a fluff power. I cannot ever see Alex using anything but the memories portion of it, but I see her as able to do it thematically without having to strain which is what extra effort really means. I can drop it to the 3 per rank if its really that big a deal. I'd rather not.

If it's not something you see her using regularly, I'd drop the AP and buy a rank of Luck to ward off the Fatigue from power stunting it once between presidential elections. Modeling powers that are officially in your repertoire but seldom used is pretty much what the whole power stunt mechanic was built for.

Just a suggestion, not a ruling. You're free to go either way.

Protection - I picked protection as I wanted something not in an array and permanent. Doing that with a forcefield would have cost way more points.

Protection and Force Field cost the same 1PP/rank. It would cost +1PP if you wanted the Force Field to be Subtle, +1PP if you wanted it to be selectively permeable, and +1PP since you wouldn't benefit from the Noticeable drawback (as it's an active effect, and thus, Noticeable by default). 1-3PP isn't "way more points."

I get why you chose to go that route mechanically - it's cheaper. I was more wondering why you chose it conceptually.

Saves - The will save is low as I ran out on points but thematically, there is no good reason that Alex should have high fort or reflex saves. She's not quick or hardy. I'd like to round them up to +5 eventually but don't see them going higher than that.

It was just a suggestion. A few points in a save is often the difference between suffering a little impairment from the first volley and being taken completely out of action. It's up to you.

High traits - Yes, the terminus energies have enhanced her brain but I bought her up to human max with attribute points. Anything over that will be psychic enhancement but even without her psychic powers, her intellect can't be negated.

Technically, the human maximum is 25. But there are several published characters with higher than that, bought as "normal" Abilities rather than powers, so you're free to do so if you wish.

Added mental descriptor to powers.

It's not just a descriptor. It's an actual extra, as of UP (albiet a +0 one).

Concealment works with cameras as she can use her mental powers to cloud minds while moving cameras etc with her tk. Its part of the integration of her powers into one psychic array.

Total Concealment from all sense types involves a little more than "moving cameras out of the way with telekinesis." Automated machines can't perceive her by bouncing radio waves off of her. If you want to say that she's using her latent awesome cosmic telekinesis to bend the very light and sound around her, that's fine with me.

I'm cool with that.

If DocA's ruling on ESP gets changed, I'll let you know. For now, just build with it in mind.

Alright, I'll rework for that.

If it's not something you see her using regularly, I'd drop the AP and buy a rank of Luck to ward off the Fatigue from power stunting it once between presidential elections. Modeling powers that are officially in your repertoire but seldom used is pretty much what the whole power stunt mechanic was built for.

Hmm, well, if I rework I can get the save on that up to cap. Sure, why not. Its not a power I'll ever use.

Protection and Force Field cost the same 1PP/rank. It would cost +1PP if you wanted the Force Field to be Subtle, +1PP if you wanted it to be selectively permeable, and +1PP since you wouldn't benefit from the Noticeable drawback (as it's an active effect, and thus, Noticeable by default). 1-3PP isn't "way more points."

I get why you chose to go that route mechanically - it's cheaper. I was more wondering why you chose it conceptually.

Well, thematically, I want it to be something her brain just regulates. Like her heartbeat or body temperature, or glucose level. Her brain protects her frail physical form. Eventually, I'll buy off the glowing part as the terminus energies settle down.

It was just a suggestion. A few points in a save is often the difference between suffering a little impairment from the first volley and being taken completely out of action. It's up to you.

I tried not to change her saves and skills dramatically around as that didn't make sense for the powerup she just recieved. I'm fine with where they're at currently.

Total Concealment from all sense types involves a little more than "moving cameras out of the way with telekinesis." Automated machines can't perceive her by bouncing radio waves off of her. If you want to say that she's using her latent awesome cosmic telekinesis to bend the very light and sound around her, that's fine with me.

That's a better description than what I was saying. :D

The costs were off on a few of the powers in her array - ESP (Visual + Audio Senses) and Telekinesis (Extras: Range [Perception]) are both 3PP/rank, not 4PP/rank. I edited them accordingly.

Thank you!

AP: ESP 11 (20,000,000 miles, Visual/Auditory; Extra: Action: Move, Flaw: Duration: Standard, PF: Rapid x 10, Subtle) {44}

Eh?

By default, ESP is Move Action and Concentration Duration. I recommended applying the Action (-1) flaw and the Duration (+1) extra, so it would be a Standard Action to activate and Sustained Duration (Free Action to maintain), and thus, actually usable. The net cost change is zero.

ESP costs 1PP/rank/sense type, with Visual costing double. So Visual + Audio senses costs 3PP/rank. 11 ranks costs 33PP. The 2 feats add 2PP, for 35PP. Unless you decide to add any extras or other feats, you can afford 3 more ranks.