Thunderstanding

Sacerdos

Some quasi-random facts about Thunder. Next up should be a description of Thunderstanding's gym.

In her MMA days, Thunder used two songs for her strut to the ring, AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" and LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out". She still considers them her theme music.

Her ride is a Buell Lightning XB9SX. It's a fast and maneuverable motorcycle built with the urban environment in mind. It's got a GPS navigation system built into the dash, loaded with a recently updated map of Freedom City.

Introduction

Give a two or three word description of yourself.

Martial arts goddess

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

I’ve been known as Thunder, Thunderstanding, and Little Miss Thunderstanding. I’m AC (rhymes with Casey) to my family and closest friends

What is your full birth name?

Alicia Caroline Whiting

Where do you live?

An apartment in Bayview

Why do you live there?

It’s all I need, and it’s cheap enough that I can live off my winnings without having to work very hard for a living.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My self-confidence

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

I’m way too headstrong. It’s gotten me into trouble for as long as I can remember.

Physical Traits

How old are you?

What is your sex?

Female

What is your race?

Mutt; Korean-Caucasian dad, Black mom

How tall are you?

Just about six feet

How much do you weigh?

275 lbs; I’m a lot heavier than I look. Something to do with hyper-dense muscles and bones, I’m told.

What are your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

I’m tall and imposing, with a body sculpted by years of martial arts training. One reporter wrote that I move like a panther. I kinda like that.

What is your skin colour?

Cafe au lait

What is your hair colour?

Black

What is your hair style?

I wear it hanging in a straight bob cut to about my jaw line, with longer bangs on either side of my face. (Kinda like this hairstyle.)

Do you have any facial hair?

Nope

What is your eye colour?

Brown

How attractive are you?

People tell me I’m a knockout, if a bit of an Amazon; I think my nose is too big. Go figure.

What is your most distinguishing feature?

Beside the nose, you mean? Oh, I don’t know. I suppose my height and physique. I laugh kinda like a horse’s whinny, which is a bit embarrassing.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

I’ve got a few tattoos--including one of Captain Thunder’s lightning bolt on my right shoulder--my nose has been broken a few times, and I’ve got a scar above my left eye from a right hook I caught during a bout.

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

I’m right-handed.

Do you resemble some currently known person?

I look a bit like a light-skinned Venus Williams.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

On any given day, I prefer jeans and T-shirts with interesting designs on them, tight enough to flatter my figure without looking trashy. I don’t usually wear much jewelry--some earrings, a chain, and a bracelet or two is about as decked out as I ever get. On special occasions, though, I actually like getting dolled up.

Do you wear makeup?

Not usually, ‘cause makeup’s a lot of work; I do put on the ol’ war paint when I go clubbing.

What sort of vocal tone do you have?

I’ve got a deep, husky voice that I think ranges from really sexy to kinda frog-like depending on how insecure I’m feeling at the time.

History

Where is your homeland?

The U S of A, baby!

Are you aware of its history?

Yeah, I guess. I mean, I had to take social studies and government in high school.

Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

Are those the only two choices? I’m kinda in between: I love my country, but I hate some of the things it’s done.

What are your opinions of home?

It’s cool. I like FC a lot.

Where is your home town?

Freedom City, USA

Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?

What, you expect me to give you an honest answer to that? Ha ha! Well, I usually tell people that I do it because I want to use my awesome abilities to make the world a better place, ‘cause that’s not a lie and it’s easier than giving a full answer.

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

*shrug* It’s not that big a deal to me. Everybody knows I’m competitive as it is.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

Um, didn’t I just say that I don’t? Fear it, that is.

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

I’m a badass, pure and simple. (Well, aside from my wisdom, that is.)

How have these scores affected your life so far?

They’ve made life pretty sweet, though they cost me my career. (That low wisdom keeps getting me into trouble, darn it!)

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

I’m a mutt; a genuine Heinz 57. So, I’m pretty much a minority of my own.

Did this impact your outlook in any way?

Yeah, I guess. I mostly hung out with other Blacks, but they did have a tendency to treat me as an outsider.

How do you feel about other races?

People are people, whatever they look like. There are some cultures I don’t exactly admire, mind you.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Not really. My childhood was pretty good, even if I did get into trouble all the time.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

I guess that would be the first time I entered Mr. Cho’s martial arts school. Dang, that guy was a hardcase, but I loved what he had to teach. It kinda felt like coming home when I walked into his school.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Better to ask what stupid things I didn’t do. The list’d be shorter. I stayed away from drugs, thank God, and I never stole anything big or important. Mostly, I was bored and after thrills, so I did idiot stuff to keep myself amused.

Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

I’ve still got this carved giraffe Mom gave me for my fifth or sixth birthday. I can’t remember which.

Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?

It’s really cool. It was whittled by my great-great-grandfather sometime in the early 1800s. He made it some time after he ran away from his owner, and passed it on to his kids.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

If I do, I don’t know about ‘em. Hmmm... I say that, but it might be a little embarrassing if some of the stuff in my sealed juvie record ever got out.

Are you who you claim to be?

Pretty much, yeah.

Do you have any sort of criminal record?

Nope. Well, none that wasn’t sealed when I turned 17, anyway.

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

Well, they’re heroes, aren’t they? I think they’re cool, and I kinda look up to ‘em, I guess. Damn, but it would rock to be part of the Freedom League!

Family

Who were your parents?

Dad’s the son of a soldier and a woman the soldier met in Korea. He’s a traffic planner for the city. Mom’s a housewife, mostly. She also volunteers at this women’s shelter. She’s the descendant of slaves. They came from someplace in Africa where they breed ‘em tall, ‘cause her side of the family are all giants.

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

Yeah, they raised me.

What was their standing in the community?

Good enough, I guess. Our neighbors seemed to get along with us, even if they didn’t approve of me.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We moved once, from an apartment to a house, but we never lived outside of Freedom City.

How did you get along with their parents?

Pretty well, all told. I know they don’t like me doing the superhero thing, but we do fine as long as we stay off that subject.

How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.

Oh, God. Really? You’re really asking me to do this? *sigh*

Mom: “Alicia’s always been a stubborn child with no respect for the power of a good education. She does what she wants, does our AC. Still, her heart’s in the right place these days.â€Â

Dad: “My daughter set her heart on being a great fighter, and now she’s a superhero. Imagine what she could have done if only she’d had a better goal!â€Â

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

I’ve got three brothers--Mike, Sam, and Josh--and a sister, Eliza. Mike’s four years older than me, and he lives with his wife in Southside. Sam and Eliza are the next oldest. They’re twins. He’s the darling of the family, and still racking up a huge pile of debt in med school. She’s living with--and supporting--her latest boyfriend, who is, as usual, currently between jobs. Josh is the baby of the family. He’s in school getting some kind of business degree when he’s not partying.

I got along well enough with all of ‘em while we lived under the same roof.

What was your birth position in the family?

I fit between the twins and Josh.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

Grandpa Jack and Granny Hea (dad’s side, the Whitings): retired and living in Punta Gorda, Florida. [Jack Whiting - born July 19, 1931; Park Hea - born April 7, 1935]

Grandpa Roy and Grammy Coraline (mom’s side, the Armstrongs): retired and living in a suburb of Washington, DC. [Roy Armstrong - born February 27, 1940; Coraline Jefferson - born January 2, 1942]

Mom and Dad--Tom and Shandra, that is--live in Lincoln. They have a really nice place there, mostly because they’re really good at saving money. [Tom Whiting - born May 3, 1957; Shandra Armstrong - born August 16, 1959]

Like I said, Mike’s located in Southside, working as a detective with the FCPD. His wife’s name is Kim. She’s a lawyer with the DA’s office. [Mike Whiting - born June 6, 1983; Kimberley Simms - born April 9, 1986]

Sam’s working on his medical degree at the U of South Carolina. He spends his summers working at a free clinic here in FC. [born September 21, 1984]

Eliza’s living in the West End with Dave, her on-again, off-again deadbeat boyfriend, Dave. She works temp jobs to make ends meet. [born September 21, 1984; I’ve no idea what Dave’s birthday is, and I don’t care.]

Josh still lives at home. He’s going to Freedom College to get a business degree. [born July 28, 1990]

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

We keep in touch regularly. Some of them even help me with my superhero stuff from time to time.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

I despise Eliza’s boyfriend, and that really gets in the way between us. I get along best with Josh, mainly ‘cause he’s the only one who thinks the superhero gig is really cool. I’m massively jealous of Sam “the doctorâ€Â, who can do no wrong in mom and dad’s eyes.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Lately, Mike’s been really helpful, giving me pointers on detective work and how I can be helpful to the cops. I guess that makes him kind of a mentor. Eliza and I used to be really close before Dave came along.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

I suppose I’m the black sheep, considering my childhood and choice of no-good career--which is ridiculous since I made out so much better than Eliza. Sam’s the doctor, and therefore the boy wonder; can’t compete with that.

If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position?

I did that by dropping out of school.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

No, not really. I don’t know much about my ancestors beyond my grandparents. Grammy Coraline is into that stuff, though, and has told me stories about my great-great-grandfather the slave and such. He’s pretty celebrated in mom’s side of the family, but not much beyond that.

If so, what did this person do to become famous or infamous?

Well, he didn’t do much that anyone outside our family’s heard about, but he was a runaway slave. He set up shop in New York after fleeing a plantation in Mississippi.

Do you try to live up to the reputation of your ancestor, try to live it down, or ignore it?

I dunno, that’s hard to say. I’m certainly rebellious, so I guess I haven’t fallen too far from the tree.

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

Sure, I guess. If I meet the right guy, it could happen.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

Well, my mind’s not made up, so I dunno.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Ideal? Haha! Denzel, but taller, maybe? Throw in a penchant for romance and it’s all good.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

Yeah. Sherman, who was my promoter and trainer when I was doing the MMA thing, still shares a beer with me on a regular basis.

And there’s Amanda, who’s been my best friend since high school. She leads a pretty normal life, and I help her escape it from time to time with little rebellions like karaoke night at a nearby bar.

What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?

Sherm runs the gym I train at. He’s a former MMA fighter himself. Now, he trains new talent and promotes the ones he thinks have a shot at the big time.

Amanda and I were inseparable back in the day. We did everything together, including serial dating the same guys. Now, she has her life and I have mine. She keeps me grounded, and I give her some fantasy.

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

Outside my family? I dunno. I’d lay a lot on the line for Sherm and Amanda.

If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship?

Well, Sherm got me my big break into professional fighting, really sticking his neck out to get me on a pretty big card for a total beginner. We hit it off real well and almost wound up dating--thank God we didn’t! We’re so wrong for each other, but we’re great as friends. He’d have to really betray me for me to drop him.

Amanda would pretty much have to kill a member of my family for me to dump her. She’s kind of my second sister.

Do you have any bitter enemies?

The mob doesn’t exactly like me, y’know? And then, there’s the Toon Gang. We’ve got a serious mean on toward each other.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

Well, I’ve put oodles of Johnny Olverti’s boys behind bars--or in a hospital bed--and I’m pretty certain he’d love to see me dead.

As for the Toon Gang, I’ve run into them twice, and I really, really hate those guys. Jesus, they’re a pain to fight! And they really, really don’t fight fair.

Have you defeated them before?

Like I said, I’ve given lots of mobsters the treatment they deserve, but I haven’t been so lucky as to bag Olverti himself.

I’ve, um, never actually, um, managed to do more than, uh, annoy the Toon Gang.

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

I dunno. God forbid either of them targeted my family! That’d get ugly fast.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

My family definitely tops the list.

Who is your most trusted ally?

It’s a toss-up between Sherm and Amanda.

Who do you trust, in general?

Firemen, some cops, paramedics; folks who put their butts on the line for others on a regular basis. Those are the people who get propers from me.

Who do you despise and why?

Pretty much anyone who talks smack and can’t back it up. Losers like that deserve what they get.

Name seven things you hate in others.

1. hypocrisy

2. settling for mediocrity

3. bigotry

4. snobbishness/putting on airs

5. cruelty

6. gum smacking

7. talking while I’m talking

Is your image consistent?

Um, I guess. I mean, I don’t take pains to present myself as anything other than what I am.

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

Nah, I’m me, wherever I am, for better or for worse.

What would you die for?

Saving someone else’s life or the like. I don’t really have a “cause†beyond that.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Well, I just about killed myself by drinking and driving. That pretty much takes the cake. After that, mom and dad said some things that still sting when I dropped out of school.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

That depends on how he does it, and whether I’m available myself. If he’s not an ass, I wouldn’t mind at all. Heck, he might get a date out of it if he plays his cards right.

How do you get along with other heroes?

We get along well enough, I suppose. I haven’t met too many of them yet.

Have you lost any loves?

Not to death, if that’s what you mean. I’ve had far too many boyfriends. They don’t seem to last very long for one reason or another.

How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?

I cry and wallow in chocolate for a few days. I’m usually over them by then.

Who would miss you should you go missing?

My family, Amanda, Sherm, that guy I pay to give me PR advice (What’s his name? Um, er, oh yeah! Jim!), my landlord... I think that’s the list.

How close are you to your adventuring companions?

My what now? So far, I’m a solo act.

What do they not know about you?

Solo act. You know. Alone.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement?

Nah, I’m not a joiner. I’m not particularly religious, either.

Personality & Beliefs

Do you, or did you, have any role models?

Venus Williams, ‘cause she’s a woman who refuses to be anything less than equal. She made Wimbledon pay women the same as men. That’s pretty cool. And Cynthia Rothrock, who pretty much paved the way for all us female martial artists who came after.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

Yeah. Muhammed Ali: outspoken, radical, humanitarian, and the greatest fighter that ever lived.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Not really. I mean, everyone’s only human, and we all make mistakes. I understand that and don’t expect my heroes to be perfect, even if some of ‘em have superpowers.

When did you decide to become a hero?

I was at loose ends, wondering what to do now that I had superpowers, and I saw this fight on TV between the Atom Family and the Meta-Grue. It was awesome, and I immediately decided that that was what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

It’s not about risking my life. It’s about pushing my boundaries and being the best I can be. It’s about living life instead of simply existing.

What do you expect to get out of being a hero? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

A crippling injury would probably do it. That’s probably about it.

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

Oh, heck yeah. If you don’t aim for something, you don’t get anywhere in life.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I wanna be known as one of FC’s best heroes, both in and out of fights--but especially in.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

I’d love to be known as the best fighter in the world, hands down.

If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences?

They’re sympatico.

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

Nope. No big phobias or anything like that.

How do you react when this fear manifests itself?

It doesn’t.

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

Money’s really, really nice to have, but it’s no good if it isn’t doing something worthwhile.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

I make sure I have enough to pay my bills and keep me comfortable. Anything beyond that’s gravy, and I gladly share it with my friends.

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

It’s a bit of both, I guess. You gotta have the Benjamins if you want to live large, y’know.

How do you generally treat others?

I try to follow the Golden Rule. That said, some folks make that pretty tough at times.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

Not really. I’m pretty private.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

I love company, and live for crowds and the limelight. But, I don’t share myself a lot.

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

Oh, I’m pretty proud of myself, but deservedly so. I don’t think I’m God’s gift to the world if that’s what you mean.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

Oh, gosh. They’re my friends because they don’t habitually annoy me, y’know? I suppose I don’t like it when they go and do something I think is really, really stupid, that they should know better about.

What are your most annoying habits?

I do tend to go off half-cocked. I also like to be the center of attention, so I can run rough-shod over people.

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

I really don’t like to admit it, but I have a bit of a knee-jerk dislike of Arabs and white rednecks.

What is your favourite food?

Anything either of my grandmas makes. Grammy Hea’s kimchee is to die for. Granny Coraline’s soul food just plain tastes like home.

What is your favourite drink?

Alcoholic? Margaritas. Non-alcoholic? Peppermint tea.

What is your favourite treat (desert)?

Anything with too much chocolate in it. ‘Course, that’s impossible, ‘cause you can never have too much chocolate.

Do you favour a particular cuisine?

Burgers, I guess, but not the fast food kind.

Do you savor the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?

Depends on the company. If I’m by myself, then food’s fuel to be eaten fast. If I’m with someone I like, I take my time.

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

Either way’s good with me. Thanks to my grammy, I can take some pretty fiery stuff.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Not really. It’s all good. Well, as long as it’s not monkey brains or other really weird stuff.

What are your favourite colour(s)?

Black and silver

Is there any colour that you dislike?

I can’t stand orange. Bleah.

Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

LL Cool J’s “Momma Said Knock You Out†is pretty much my theme song. I also loves me some Mary J. Blige.

If you have a favourite scent, what is it?

Baking bread, or roses, or maybe this perfume mom wears on special occasions... I dunno.

What is your favourite type of animal?

Cats. They’re not needy.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

Not that I know of.

Is there anything that enrages you?

Yeah. Violence against innocent folks pisses me off to no end.

Is there anything which embarrasses you?

Anytime I’ve been silly in public seems to do the trick.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

Give me air conditioning and TV, baby!

Do you have a patron deity?

Nah. I’m not a religious woman.

Are you devout or impious?

I don’t believe in God, if that’s what you mean.

Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?

I just told you I’m not religious.

What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

Geeze, man, don’t you listen?

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

*shrug* I guess you could say that my parents influenced me by not raising me with any faith.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

Nope. I’m an agnostic.

Will you kill?

I dunno. I’d like to think not.

When did you decide (or learn) that you would?

Kinda begging the question there, aren’t you?

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

I dunno. In war, it’s pretty much what has to happen. And, it’s okay if you’re defending your own life or the life of others. By okay, I think I really mean excusable. I don’t really think it’s ever okay, y’know?

When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?

Pretty much anytime. Life is sacred. I really believe that.

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

It’s time for a beat-down and a trip to jail, baby.

What if it were your enemy?

Make that beat-down a double.

What if it were your friend?

I gotta admit, I’d go easy on ‘em. I’d hold ‘em down and demand an explanation. If I didn’t get a really good one, well, then it’s “Sorry, bud,†and “That’s what lawyers are for.â€Â

What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

Well, then it’s not them doing it. It’s the jerk who’s controlling them.

What would you do if something were stolen from you?

I suppose I’d try to get it back.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

I’d insult ‘em back. We could have a “yo mama†contest. I’m down for that kind of thing. Take a look at the pre-fight show video for my bout against Kelly Kobold if you want an example. We really let each other have it.

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

I’d find the killer, beat the living hell out of him, and drag him to the cops to face justice.

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

I’d never torture someone or kill an innocent.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Just about anything violent done to a kid is inexcusable as far as I’m concerned. And there’s something wrong with you if you have to ask why.

How do you feel about government in general? Why do you feel that way?

I dunno. I guess they’re a necessary evil. I mean, you gotta organize somehow.

Do you support the current government of your homeland?

Yeah. For all its flaws, the ol’ USA does pretty well by its people.

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

Well, I fight to uphold the law, which is defending the government in a way. If it really came down to it, I might join the Army or something. *shrug* I dunno.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

Democracy. Um, how does that quote go? Something about it being the worst kind of government, except for all the others. Something like that.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

Hah! I know plenty of people who’d claim that I’m one big dominant personality trait. I like to think I’m known for my generosity, but I worry that most people think of me as brash and obnoxious.

If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them.

I dunno. I think I’ve always been this way, more or less.

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

I laugh too much when I’m nervous, and I get surly when I’m stressed. I tend to pace a lot, too. When I’m embarrassed, I do what everybody else does; I hide my face and blush.

What is your most treasured possession?

That giraffe my great-great-whatever-grandpa carved is really pretty cool, and it means a lot to me. If not that, then there’s my trophy collection, along with my framed pictures from the MMA days.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

1. tell my family and friends I love them

2. find and bed Denzel or maybe Kanye

3. beat the stuffing out of Johnny Olverti

4. watch the sun rise over the ocean one last time

5. spend my last few minutes fighting the best martial artist I could find

Career & Training

Where and how were you educated?

Ah. I got my high school diploma from a combination of Joseph Clark High School and Freedom Juvenile Hall. I was in and out of juvie hall on a bunch of minor offenses that tended to add up in the eyes of judges. It was mostly property damage, theft, and fighting. I got caught the first and only time I tried drugs, thank God. I was pretty much a low C student as a freshman, and moved up to high-ish Bs as a senior. After that, I spent a semester and a half at Freedom College, mostly majoring in par-tay.

What I consider my real education started at Mr. Cho’s Tae Kwon Do Academy, which I only got into ‘cause Mr. Cho and Grammy Hea were pretty close. Mr. Cho was a tough old-school TKD teacher who would, I kid you not, do things like beat our arms and legs with a stick to make us tougher. He gave me an outlet for my violent impulses, and he literally beat me into shape. I dreaded showing him a report card full of Ds and Cs. That meant class after class of laps and push-ups and crunches and, well, you get the idea.

I loved that old guy. It just about killed me when he died. Dang. It’s been nearly six years.

Anyway, I found Sherman Hoytt’s gym a couple of months before I started going to Freedom College. He was the one who really thought I had MMA star potential after he watched me go a few rounds with some of his regulars. God knows I had the fire in my belly for it. So, ol’ Sherm showed me the ropes--literally, come to think of it. He brought in experts in Brazilian jujitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, and all the other usual arts, and took my game up a few notches before getting me my big break.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

I think I just went over that.

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

Answered this, too.

Is this person or institution still in existence?

And this one.

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

Kinda hit this, too. I rocked at fighting and just did what it took to get by at the rest.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

I grew up hanging with a bad crowd and doing bad things, and learned a lot in juvie that folks just don’t want kids to learn. I didn’t just drop those old friendships and acquaintances when I started martial arts or when I became a pro fighter. If anything, heavier criminals flock around the prize fighting industry than I ever met in grade school. And then, of course, I’ve had some really good martial arts training.

Have you ever done anything else for a living?

Nope. Fighting’s been my bread and butter all along.

How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?

Against heavier opponents, I dance around and hit ‘em from unexpected angles. Lighter folks, I take to the ground and pound ‘em ‘til they quit. Folks roughly my weight class get a real brawl as I mix it up, looking for whatever advantage I can get.

If I have a weakness, it’s a lack of range. I do kind of bring fists to a gun fight from time to time. Fortunately, I’m strong enough to toss park benches a country mile.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Aside from eight straight wins aired on pay-per-view for all the world to see, thank you very much? Y’know, I say that, but the one I’m most proud of is the black belt Mr. Cho tied around my waist way back when. That was a damn good day.

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

Yeah. If the Dim Mak exists, I wanna know it. That and shooting chi blasts--you know, “Kame-hame-HA!†That’d rock!

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

Um, what? I don’t really get the question. I don’t think that others’ achievements make my own any less, if that’s what you’re getting at. I don’t waste time on jealousy. I spend my time and energy making myself better.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

When not doing the hero thing, what is your normal daily routine?

I get up sometime around 10 AM, shower and get dressed, have a huge breakfast, go to the gym and practice for several hours, shower again, do the PR thing for the rest of the afternoon, have some kind of dinner, then head out for some R&R--usually dancing or spending time with friends and/or family.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

I get grumpy, especially if I don’t get to practice.

What are your hobbies when you are not playing hero or training?

Those are my hobbies.

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

My guilty pleasure’s reading trashy romance novels. I follow a few fighting trade magazines still, even though I’m out of the business. I go clubbing reasonably often, ‘cause I love to dance. I listen to a lot of music; mostly hip-hop and techno.

How do you normally dress when not in your hero gear?

Jeans and a T-shirt, or whatever’s appropriate if I’m clubbing or doing something formal.

What do you normally wear in bed at home?

My skin. Ha ha! No, really, I can’t stand pajamas.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

Um, I don’t normally adventure in bed.

Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?

Not really. I like silver when I do wear jewelry, but that’s not all that distinctive.

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

My motorcycle goes in the garage. The food’s in the fridge. The money and stuff’s in the safe. My practice weapons are all in the closet. That’s pretty much all I’ve got.

What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

Get up, get out of bed, drag a comb across my head... I mean, what else do you expect?

Okay, okay. I cook my own breakfast, usually something filling and wholesome with a side of toast and home-brewed power drink. I’ve also become something of a news junky since I started the hero thing, so I watch the tube while I’m eating.

In the evening, I scarf down something with a lot of protein to keep me going during the night. I try not to have too much of a regular routine when on patrol, so the bad guys won’t know where to avoid, when.

Do these change when you are heroing?

Nope.

Travel: how do you get around locally?

I ride my motorbike. It’s a sweet ride, a Buell City Lightning.

Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

Heck, yes.

What does it say?

I leave everything to my family and friends. It’s pretty much evenly split among the family, with some things of sentimental value going to specific people. For example, Sherm gets the picture of the ref holding my hand up at the end of my first professional fight.

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

I wanna be known like Ali is known: a great humanitarian who lived on her own terms and also just happened to be the greatest fighter ever.

What kind of threat do you present to the public?

None, I hope.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Well, there are my tattoos and my super-muscles.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Think before you act! I know you live by your instincts, but they get you into trouble as often as not. You’ve gotta learn some restraint before your hot head gets you killed. You know this already, so stop putting it off. You’re better than that!

• 2 weeks later...