The days of high adventure (IC)

MarkK

"Man, Drama Star, who writes your material, Simon Furman?" Jack tossed the imposing cosmic hero a wry grin. "No worries, we'll take out the big-nasty, rescue the princess, whatever. I just hope I get a chance to call somebody a primitive screwhead." The swashbuckler was laying the unconcerned confidence on a little thick, but he didn't want the others to think he couldn't keep up."'Sooner that later' is a good call, though. I'll find you guys once I've talked to the registrar." With a sloppy salute, Jack jogged off towards the group signing up for the tournament. The lack of readily available energy sources in his technologically lacking surroundings worried the hero a bit; perhaps he could find someone to lend him a mundane sword just in case.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EVERYONE

Conversation at the gate continued with people making small groups. Most of the people that you had talked to seemed to be originally of this place and era. Only a handful of people seemed to have been "brought" here from a more distant time. Surprisingly, it seems that none had come exactly from the same time as notes are compared. Whatever had drawn you here had to have a lot of power.

You continued your conversation getting to know the others like you when a loud trumpet sounded, ending the various conversations. Everyone looked up at gate and the doors swung open letting everyone into the courtyard. Without a reason to stay outside, you moved in with your group, joining the other heroes present. It wasn't long before two men stepped out onto a balcony overlooking the courtyard.

The first man that came out brought tears to your eyes as for the first time, you could see the familiar face of Centurion. Those most had not met the great man, you all had seen the statue dedicated to him. Just like everyone else, his appearance was slightly altered to match the present era. He carried a helmet in the crutch of his arm as he looked down upon all the participants.

Stepping to his right, came a sight you weren't prepared to see. Standing in all black full plate armor was none other than Omega himself. He stood at Centurion's side, looking over the gathered people. As his gaze passed you, you couldn't help but shudder slightly in discomfort. Satisfied with what he saw, Omega nodded slightly and Centurion raised his hand.

"Welcome to Freedom Reach! I am Centurion, protector of this great city. Today, you have all answered my call to join in protecting this city and lands beyond it. Unlike the years in the past, I need more than one new knight this year. So this tourney, unlike the previous years, will involve cooperative challenges. When the trials are completed, I will be choosing those that have showed the ability to work well in a team. So choose your team, three or more in each group."

You see the others present begin to move about forming groups, mostly of three.

Does not compute!

That... that is quite incongruous.

"Er....," Archeville muttered in Dark Star's and Jack of Blade's general direction, "assuming does two truly are who dey appear to be, dere are far, far bigger stakes at hand dan I anticipated. But... if ve can stop vhatever it is dat is so potent it has caused Ceturion und Omega to vork together... vould dat not show Omega our vorld is von not to be assaulted? Ve haff turned him tvice before... ja! Ja! Ja, ve vill do dis!"

Jack followed the crowd into the courtyard, forgoing his conversation with the registrar in favour of finding his way back to Archeville and Dark Star. He took a deep breath when Centurion appeared on the balcony. Seeing the man who represented the very best a hero could be in the flesh was profound, even though he'd been expecting it. When Omega stepped forward as well, the swordsman nearly choked on that breath, coughing wildly for a moment before he could compose himself.

"Hold on," he said, holding his hands before him as though willing the scene to pause until he was ready. "That can't be the Omega, right? I mean, the one who... It's not our Centurion, obviously, 'cause... uh. Hoo. This is way screwy. It was already screwy, but this is 'turn it up to eleven' screwy. Screwy, the final frontier. Screwy, it's what's for dinner." Jack glanced between the other heroes. "I'll stop now."

Dark Star looked up and paused. "That is... interesting. Are we in some distant corner of the multiverse where things are that different or has time been somehow radically altered," he mused to himself quietly. He shook his head and returned to the matter at hand. "It seems nothing has changed as far as our goals are concerned. Gentlemen, do we have anything else to work on? Besides helping to save this world and figure out a way to return or reset everything that is."

Angel's thoughts was clear and concise. Sixteen years ago those two men were fighting tooth and nail. As a resident of Freedom City in 1993, she was three years old. When the Centurion fell it was heartaching. The grayscale picture of him in a smoldering crater did not help allay her fears. To top it off, seven years ago, Omega sent a clone of the Centurion to destroy the world.

This would not happen again. Anger welled up in Angel's very soul. With a gutteral growl she flew as fast as her board could carry her at the evil that plagued the very cosmos. "OMEGA!" She howled as she dropped off the board with a kick that would crack a normal man's skull.

"Good looking and prone to extraordinarily poor judgment," Jack mused under his breath. "My kinda gal." Running to an open space closer to the balcony, he called out to the powerful beings above in a voice that cut through the crowd, hoping to distract the tournament's organizers long enough for Dark Star to do as Acheville had suggested. "My lords! I beg you, forgive my impetuous cousin! I fear the hot-blooded reputation of House Anduril's women is well earned!" he chuckled. "You see how she would challenge only the greatest of Freedom Reach, eager to make her name! A streak of ambition she inherited from my good aunt, I expect," he added with a wry wink. "Let this teach me to let a noble lady of the Western Territories out of my sight, eh?"

Dark Star was already moving forward even as the Doctor started speaking. He gestured as he started towards Angel, reaching on and grabbing the heroine in a gravity induced telekinetic field. He pulled her away from her target as he moved near. He looked at the young woman, pretty much ignoring Jack and the fabrication the man was concocting as he spoke to her. "Miss, please calm yourself. This individual is not the same one that your are likely familiar with. This is not home. Those events did not take place here. He has done nothing wrong and does not deserve your ire. Try to keep that in mind." He spoke calmly and coolly, waiting for her to settle. Though he didn't slacken his telekinetic grip, he wasn't squeezing too hard either.

Dark Star himself had not been on Earth for the Terminus invasion but had read about it. Regardless, he was more than familiar with dealing with strange entities and took them each in stride. This version of Omega had done nothing wrong and shouldn't be treated as the other. Besides, if he was the same, then the heroes here would already be in a world of hurt considering how powerful that villain was.

Angel's wild cry and dash towards the balcony catches most of the people in attendance by surprise. Both Omega and Centurion watch the girl's flight. As she reaches the apex*, Centurion moves to block her path to Omega but the gesture is not needed as Dark Star exerts his own powerful control. With ease, he pulls the girl back down to the ground.

Jack moved forward and began spouting out a tale to cover Angel's rash behavior. Centurion looks down and smiles at the explanation.

"It is good to see everyone eager to prove themselves, but there is no need to fight amongst ourselves. It seems she has gained some powerful friends. I wish you well in the tourney. Each group will be given a task to complete by my knights. Prove your strength by completing the tasks quickly."

With those words, he turns and walks back into the castle. Omega, who had stood silently behind Centurion, took one last look over the people in the courtyard, his gaze lingering upon Angel's group before he reentered the castle.

A few knights walked out into the courtyard and began giving instructions to the various groups. There were only a few knights so you knew that there was time before a knight would get to your position.

*See private message

Angel was breathing hard and fast. If she wasn't seething angrily she'd be in tears. Struggling against Dark Star's grip, she growled and spoke quietly but angrily, "You didn't see him. He's still got that look of a killer. He's still the same, wether or not he's another person. Omega is Omega is Omega. He's not here to pet puppies and kiss babies." Realizing she wasn't going anywhere soon, she let out a loud shout of frustration

A few of the waiting heroes turned at Angel's loud shout. Seeing the source of the cry, they quickly turned back to discussions in their groups.

A few of the groups even laughed softly glancing at the woman. It was clear that these groups thought themselves better than the others.

"" Jack called up to the restrained Angel in Spanish, gambling that the 'locals' wouldn't be able to understand him. "" The swordsman briefly rubbed his eyes in frustration. "" He turned to Archeville and continued in English under his breath. "That said, how much you wanna bet this Omega's pulling the 'secretly evil royal adviser' shtick?"

These people are crazy, Angel thought, I am not going to sit here while that... that... ARGH... what am I going to do? I'll need to convince them that this is of dire emergency.

Angel took a few deep breaths and then spoke calmly with her eyes closed, "" She paused for a second, ""

I'm going to have to show them the truth, she thought in a 'rational' tone, I'm. Going. To. Show. Them. The. TRUTH.

"You can put me down anytime now," she smiled at her captor.

Jack's eyebrow quirked, and for a moment his expression was a jumbled mix. Then he burst out laughing. "Oh. Oh man," he managed between chuckles. "This place doesn't have electricity let alone the internet, and I'm still getting Godwin's Law-ed. That's precious." The swashbuckler smirked and folded his arms. "" Jack turned one palm upward casually. "

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Star, not knowing what words were being bandied about, just waited paitently for the two to be done. The stupidity of the prior actions was not lost on the others in the facility, but seemingly no one had taken offense to them.

"I do not need to see him. This is a different world, time whatever. Everything is different. Making foolish and snap decision will certainly not help matters. And, in all honesty, if I could immobilize you like this, I imagine that Omega who is supposed to be significantly more powerful than I wouldn't even notice. Now there may be some ulterior motive here. This version could still be a villain. But until proven otherwise, he is innocent and has committed no crimes. We are the 'good guys', the heroes. We are not thugs who strike out in anger. We help and believe in people. Regardless of where we are or who those people look like. We are better than that." He gently set her down and brough her flying board over to her as well.