Some Enchanted Evening

Wesley lets go of Grimalkin as she tell him, but still holds on to her hand to hold her steady then completely lets go of her. Smiling, he tries to alleviate her fears, "Not that hard is it?" He looks towards the Rose Garden and then back to Grimalkin, "We'll take this as slow or as fast as you want. You go ahead. I'll be right there with you."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Not that hard is it?" He looks towards the Rose Garden and then back to Grimalkin, "We'll take this as slow or as fast as you want. You go ahead. I'll be right there with you."

Grim starts flapping her arms, which at first looks pretty silly, since she already has a pair of wings, but soon it becomes apparent that she is in fact merely very excited.

"Wait, wait, we should hold hands, just like in Peter Pan!"

She drifts closer, wings humming, and reaches for Wesley's hand. Suddenly she starts talking in a highly affected English accent as she starts pointing in random directions.

"Oh Petah, isn't it just wonderful? Oh look, there's Big Ben, and the bank where Daddy works!"

She stops and frowns prettily.

"Wait, I think I'm confusing Peter Pan and Mary Poppins; oh well, they're both English, so it's all good!"

Back to the English accent.

"Oh won't Mummy and Daddy be so surprised to see me flying? Come along, Petah!"

She then starts flying toward the Rose Garden, still firmly grasping Wesley's hand with her own.

Wesley smiles speechlessly for a few reasons. Grimalkin seems like a nice girl, full of joie de vivre. Secondly, she somewhat knows her classics. He would try to correct her, but he doesn't want to ruin the moment. Finally, he's just smitten with the girl. Hand-in-hand they fly towards the Rose Garden. Think of something to say, his brain chides him, We're about to land! Flying over the field of flowers, he plucks one with his free hand right before they land. As they touch down, the flower begins to slowly change colors. "What's your favorite color," he asks Grimalkin

This is downright dangerous! She barely knows the guy, and they're flying all over the place and being cutesy-futesy!

You might want to slow down a bit, kiddo; maybe it's too soon to go rushing into something new...?

"What's your favorite color," he asks Grimalkin

And he just had to go and do something cute with a flower, didn't he? :roll:

Despite her concerns, Grim can't help but smile.

"Blue, as dark as you can make it."

The young heroine sighs and scuffs at the grass with the toe of her boot; after a bit of this, she looks up at Wes and sort of scrunches up her face.

"Okay, you're showing me all the amazing stuff you can do, and other than the jumping around, the fadeout and making with the wacky fishing rod, I haven't even scratched the surface of what I can do."

She looks around to make sure no one is watching, and then rubs her hands together.

"Now I don't show this trick to just anyone; mostly I keep it in my back pocket as my ace in the hole, but I'm starting to think I should bust it out a bit more. Here goes nothing!"

She closes her eyes, and then is suddenly surrounded by swirling gray mist which blurs her form; a moment later it drifts away, revealing...Avenger?! :o

"Luke, I am your father!"

"So, um, that's nice. Can you do anything else," he laughs nervously, hiding the flower behind his back.

The black-clad vigilante shakes his head sadly.

"It is time you knew. This is my true form. The girl you thought you knew-"

But she can't keep the act up, and 'Avenger' falls to the ground laughing, dissolving into mist and revealing Grim beneath doubled over in mirth. Finally she catches her breath and gets up to a sitting position, wiping her eyes with the heel of her hand.

"Oh God, I am so sorry, Knight! That was just...wrong in every way. But you should have seen the look of terror on your face, dude!"

She falls back on the ground and spreads her arms and legs like she's about to make a snow angel, instead looking up into the night sky.

"Ahh! That's the big one, really, and I'm not a Grue or anything, just so you know. Not sure what I am, but now at least I know...that it ain't human."

She sighs and climbs back up to her feet, dusting herself off.

"So if you don't completely hate me right now, which I would understand, I could really use your help on this thing. You, me and ol' Vengie should be able to take this guy Pitt apart, no matter what he is, right?"

She puts her hands on her hips, then looks down at said hands, and suddenly slaps her forehead.

"Duh, forgot the claws!"

Grim snaps her hands down and outwards, unveiling some truly nasty-looking razor sharp claws on the tip of each finger.

"Now I can say 'we can take this guy apart' and look like I mean it! So whaddya say?"

She gives him an expectant grin, and wiggles her clawed fingers like jazz hands.

Wesley laughs at Grimalkin's actions. He is generally amused by her, but also relieved that he hasn't been hitting on his male group leader. "No, it's fine. I wasn't scared or anything. I just had a lot of questions though, but you answered them quickly enough." His wings furl into his skin, as of they are devolviong in rapid motion, "As for what you are, well I think you're magical. I've seen a few in my time, but I never sat down and studied magical things. I don't even think there a way to study magical things unless you're like a wizard." He smiles as she makes angel formations, "You could be an angel for all I know," he pauses, "You can keep the wings if you want them." He reaches down a hand to pick her up but she's already bounded up by then. Too slow. "Right, Pitt," he says thoughtfully, "well, what do we know about him," he asks as he grows claws to match hers, his being larger and more savage.

Grim nods appreciatively at Knight's impressive modification

"Ooh, nice claws! I like!"

She then peers absentmindedly over her shoulder at her fluttering, shimmering wings.

"Um, y'know what? You can lose 'em."

She laughs, a bit self-conscious.

"Right now I think flying makes me a bit too silly, and on me, silly gets kinda scary."

She reaches her hand downwards and a wooden stool appears; she hops up on it, tucking her legs underneath and she chews on her lower lip.

"As far as Pitt goes, we don't know much; we need to find out more, a lot more. I can probably sneak in there and get some hard intel, but if he does have any kinda powers, he might be able to see me or whatever, smell me with his super-nose or somethin'."

Grim shrugs.

"I never said I was a like a criminal mastermind, or whatever the hero version of that is; 'super genius', maybe?"

She waves a hand dismissively as she adjusts herself on the chair.

"Look, it's this all blows up in our faces, I will buy you a big hot fudge sundae...assuming we all live. Deal?"

Wesley's impromptu claws retract back to normal hands. He walks towards Grimalkin with a smile as she rambles on. She could do that for hours and he wouldn't mind. He crouches down to her side, and puts his hand on her shoulder before making her wings disappear. Smiling, he hands her the blue rose. He has a seat on the ground next to her, cross-legged style, "I must say, this guy sounds really weird. Super-Nose," he snickers at the thought of a giant nose. "Well, if that's all we know, then are we supposed to get info on him or what?"

"I must say, this guy sounds really weird. Super-Nose," he snickers at the thought of a giant nose. "Well, if that's all we know, then are we supposed to get info on him or what?"

Grim chuckles as she takes the offered rose.

"Well, he might not have a super-nose, but who knows, right?"

She covers her face with her free hand.

"Wow, I so did not mean to make that pun."

She shakes her head in embarrassment, then delicately holds the bloom just under her own nose.

"Mmm, that's amazing!"

She breaks off the stem and tucks the rose behind her ear before continuing, but still continue to inspect the thorny stem she holds in her fingers.

"To be honest, I think our next step is to have a three-way meeting between you, me and Avenger, to share our info and all that. I think he's working his own angle on this thing, but I could be wrong; is there a place you normally meet him, or do you have a way to reach him?"

Wesley smiles as the ringtone goes off, "Speak of the devil. I swear he's psychic or something." Standing up, he quickly pulls the phone out of his knee-deep pockets and sits back down while flipping the phone open. "Sup," he greets him, "Oh yeah, lots of progress. Tonnes of progress. Anything you need to know specifically?"

"Bring our friend to the roof of the Hunter Building. It's the red and green condo to your immediate right." Jack opted not to mention how exactly he knew where Wesley and Grim were right then. It seemed...declasse. "Will meet you there in fifteen minutes. Hope you have established an atmosphere of trust. Not a strength of mine."

Wesley looks to his right. Sure enough there are condos off in the distance. "Look man, we need to talk about how psychic you are. Like Scarab or something? In any case, we'll be there. You got any words for Grimalkin?" He looks to her, "You got any words for Avenger?"

Wesley looks to his right. Sure enough there are condos off in the distance. "Look man, we need to talk about how psychic you are. Like Scarab or something? In any case, we'll be there. You got any words for Grimalkin?" He looks to her, "You got any words for Avenger?"

Grim leaps off her stool, a good six feet in the air, in a manic air guitar pose.

"You rock, Avenger! Woo!" :twisted:

She lands in an easy crouch, rises as she smoothes down an imaginary skirt, and smiles.

"Tell him I said 'hi'."

There was no sign of Avenger at first as Wesley and Grim landed on the roof of the Hunter Building, the rooftop seeming deserted even after the fifteen minute period he'd set out for them was up. Just when they were starting to think he'd ditched them, a familiar gravely voice echoed from the shadows and the hockey-masked avenger of the night stepped into view. "Glad you made it. Situation has developed. Have option for Imperator residents."

"

"Glad you made it. Situation has developed. Have option for Imperator residents."

Grim frowned slightly at this.

"'Have option'? What exactly does that mean? Are you bailing on me, tough guy?"

She spreads her arms to indicate the two of them in an inclusive gesture.

"Look, I may not know everything about your guys' powers and everything, but I think between the three of us, we can take on one crummy alien zombie landlord, or whatever he is...unless someone's gone chicken on us."

The young heroine crosses her arms and cocks her hips defensively as she glares at Avenger.

So what is this 'option', anyway?" :x

"Can ensure financial support for all Imperator residents sufficient to meet their needs. Will provide money for special assistance housing, for modifications of existing dwelling. Whatever they require. Requires only one small deception on your part. And the use of Wesley's powers." Avenger looked levelly at Grimalkin. "Have worked with me. Have socialized with Wesley. How much trust?"

""Have worked with me. Have socialized with Wesley. How much trust?"

Grim actually snorts, even though the rational part of her brain tells her it's really bad to laugh at someone like Avenger.

"'How much trust'? Dude, I hardly know you, and it looks like even that was all wrong!"

She starts to get all animated, gesturing sharply to illustrate her points.

"Look, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to help out the lovable freaks at the Imperator; hell, that place is a firetrap, and we all know it! But I can't help but notice your little plan doesn't even mention Pitt, which gets me thinking..."

And here the tiny vigilante boldly approaches Avenger, not getting right in his face (because she's not quite that stupid), but within about two feet of that emotionless mask.

"You guys cut a deal, didn't you? He bought you off! Pitt walks away free and clear, and all the little puppets get new shiny houses, and everybody wins!"

Grim plants her hands on her hips and shakes her head in disgust.

"And from the sound of it, you've got plenty of money lying around to throw at other people's problems; sounds like a rich North Bay playboy who gets his jollies punching poor folks in the face!"

She turns and walks away.

"Forget him, Wes, we don't need him; it's just you and me, buddy. :evil:

Wesley watches the quick conversation between his two companions. He doesn't have time to think before Grimalkin calls for him. Taking a step back, he tries to start diffusing the situation, "Wait a second. We're all in this together, right? Come on, we need to take a look at what we're doing. We gotta stick together or we're not gonna get anywhere."

When Avenger spoke, it was with purring, roiling vehemence. "The man at the top of your penthouse may be walking around, Grimalkin, but he died years ago. He doesn't have many more days in him. Let him have what he has, and let your people choose whether or not they want to live under his rule."" He hesitated a moment. "And you're wrong about me." Avenger was flanking Grim and Wesley now, having gotten there with near-impossible speed and stealth. Crouching on the building rail, he stared at Wesley and Grimalkin, emotion roiling in his eyes. There was a long pause and then Avenger spoke dramatically, "I'm not from the North End. I'm from...the suburbs!"

"Wait a second. We're all in this together, right? Come on, we need to take a look at what we're doing. We gotta stick together or we're not gonna get anywhere."

Grim barely heard Knight's words of reason. She didn't want to calm down, she wanted to hear this so-called hardcase try and talk his way out of this, to explain exactly why he rolled over on his back and let Pitt scratch his widdle tummy.

"The man at the top of your penthouse may be walking around, Grimalkin, but he died years ago. He doesn't have many more days in him. Let him have what he has, and let your people choose whether or not they want to live under his rule."" He hesitated a moment. "And you're wrong about me."

Words. More words. Nothing but lies and excuses and whine whine whine-

"I'm not from the North End. I'm from...the suburbs!"

That caught her off-guard; at first, all Grim can do is stare at the black-masked vigilante in dumb shock, but then a few seconds later she cracks a smile, the anger leaves her eyes and she is laughing, laughing 'til she's actually clutching her belly in pain. When she finally composes herself, she must wipe her eyes to see clearly.

"Ah-huh-haha! Oh god! Ah-huh! Ooooh!"

She leans over, clutching her knees for a few moments as she catches her breath, until she at last stands straight and manages to speak.

"Wow. So, we now have proof that he's human after all."

Grim shakes her head and grins wryly.

"Okay, funny man. You're telling me he's not worth fighting, and you have a way we can work this out that doesn't ruffle any feathers and no one gets hurt, right?"

She flicks her hand out, points towards the ground, and a low bench appears; she takes a seat, her graceful legs demurely folded in lady-like fashion. Catching Wesley's eye, she pats the bench beside her before returning her attention to Avenger.

"So, how's it all work? What's your game plan?"

"It is tricky." Avenger admitted, his face implacable behind his mask but for a faint suggestion that he was laughing. Sobering, he continued speaking. "Representative of mine has spoken to Pitt and secured his cooperation." He drove one fist into another at that, letting the two other superheroes believe what they wanted about the nature of how he'd persuaded the other vampires to cooperate. "Must allow Pitt to think that you have been killed. Wesley will provide evidence. Money will be provided then for Imperator residents. Have faith you stealthy enough to visit friends even afterwards."

""Must allow Pitt to think that you have been killed. Wesley will provide evidence. Money will be provided then for Imperator residents. Have faith you stealthy enough to visit friends even afterwards."

The petite brunette smiles.

"Ooh, I get to fake my own death? Cool!"

She strokes her chin in thought, looks between Wes and Avenger, and finally nods.

"Okay, if it will help things, I will let you in on the same secret I let Knight here in on; remember, I want to keep this ability a secret, at least for now."

Grim closes her eyes and is surrounded by thin gray mist; seconds later she appears as her old mentor Nightrival, the voice and inflection a perfect match. Nightrival spreads his arms over the back of the bench and offers a rugged grin

"Hey, I hate ta brag, but ya gotta admit, this ain't half-bad!"

The Southside defender chuckles.

"Me an' Rival, th' real Rival, used ta mess with them skinheads alla time wit' this trick."

With another swirl of mist, Grim is once more herself, though her expression is somewhat perplexed.

"Hmm, first time as Bossman; kinda weird."

She shudders involuntarily, then puts her chin on her fist.

"So anyway, 'Sneaky' is my middle name; what do you want me to do?"

"Disappear. Move." The joke over, Avenger was seemingly back to his firm, uncompromising self. "Stage a fight with my colleague. If willing," he added. Perhaps not so uncompromising after all. "Wesley. Your powers; do they work on dead living things? Can you rearrange all flesh, or just the flesh of what still lives?"