Mutant Mafia

I'd like to expand on the idea of a mutant powered mafia lurking behind the scenes in Freedom City, if nobody minds. This may be something that only pops up in Hellbound's solo threads, but stuff is developing in my head I'd like to get down on 'paper', as it were.

I'm looking at dividing the city up just as it appears in the "The Campaign World" forum. Each section (Downtown, North, South, West and Other Areas), each has its own Don who is in charge of business.

The Don for West Freedom has been established as the mysterious, mystical mutant who has recently threatened Hellbound, for example.

The Dons meet in council and report to a Cappo, with each Don further dividing up their territory and letting a lieutenant run things for the most part.

Tony 'BigHorn' Shapela has been established as running the West End section of West Freedom, as further example.

Each of the other areas have their own bosses and crews, though they have yet been brought to light. Are there any objections to establishing this in-game, even though the various crews and mafioso might appear only in Hellbound's solo threads?

You may be right on the use of the term Don. I was thinking they were the Sotto Capo (underboss), but it looks like the title is used more to refer to Capofamiglia (family boss).

Which would make Tony B. a Caporegime and G.D. Badman a Soldato with the rest of the crew simply being Associates.

As far as the other mobs in Freedom City? I'd say that, since they maintain strict Sicilian structures and roots, they'd be on friendly terms with the normal mafia. Anything else would be considered rivals.

In fact, the formation of a Mutant Mafia may just be a way for the mortal mob to fight back against the Kavos family.

You might want to shift them then to instead of being some kind of widespread crime family (as, really, there are a bunch as is) to the created enforcement arm of the existing ones, like Murder Incorporated, but with superpowers.

You might want to shift them then to instead of being some kind of widespread crime family (as, really, there are a bunch as is) to the created enforcement arm of the existing ones, like Murder Incorporated, but with superpowers.

The precise organization or dispersement of the Mutant Mafia isn't all that important, but simply establishing their existence is what I'm going for here. If I can get both G.D. Badman and Tony 'BigHorn' Shapela approved, then there will be some sort presence on the West Side.

Tony B. already has some sort of authority in West End while his boss oversees all of West Freedom.

Conceptually, I was seeing them as having a slightly wider scope than that, but however they fit in is fine. What I need to do here is make sure that nobody objects to their actual existence. It's entirely possible that they're only one family in the larger organization of the current Mafia just as it's also possible that they're a new, experimental enforcement arm of that same group.

It's equally possible that they're a brand new organization that's trying to take things away from the existing Mafia. Really, not that much has been exposed regarding their existence. But I just know that I'd get slapped six ways from gamer-Sunday if I just created them from thin air and wishful thinking.

Basically, if they're this massively powerful crime family overseeing huge chunks of the city's underworld under their aegis, well, that's something of a huge setting change and a bit too big of a deal to just throw in there, honestly.

If they're Murder Incorporated with superpowers (and the piece of the action they have in West Freedom is like their reward for being such), that fits pretty seamlessly with existing stuff.

If they're an up and coming criminal organization trying to get a piece of the city's crime for itself, that's also fine.

The one thing that pops into my head, is the more layers of organization you have, the more people are required to be in the organization. So... if you have a Big Boss, a stack of Under Bosses, and each Under Boss has some Cappos, and Each Cappo has a bunch of Lieutenants, and Each Lieutenant has a few Right Hands... well, Freedom City is metahuman heavy, but that's still a lot of mutants.

I suggest trim it down to one Boss (or Don), a Cappo for each Neighbourhood, and each Cappo will have a few lieutenants based on the size of their neighbourhood. Some neighbourhoods might be merged under the same Cappo. You might want to elevate Tony B. to be the Cappo of his neighbourhood. Being PL9 makes him a fairly powerful superhuman, even if weaker than the typical player.

...I'm just offering suggestions, so take what you like and disregard the rest.

I suppose that depends on your definition of 'neighborhood'. Right now, the mysterious and well dressed dapper man oversees operations in West Freedom. Tony B. is in charge of the subdivision of West End. That territory apparently covers Lantern Hill to Greenback, so that alone could comprise several neighborhoods, depending on your definition.

I like the idea of them being underdogs, in that they're an upcoming organization that nobody knows much about yet. We'll just see how they evolve in play now that the refs are aware of their tentative existence.

So far they've only demonstrated a presence in one part of town. They may be in others, they may not. We'll just have to see....

Well, as refs we kinda have to know. "I may or may not decide my npc organization takes over all the crime in Freedom" is a bit big. Basically, they're cool as a possibly rising criminal presence in the west end, or a wider spanning group that performs a specialized service for others. Anything beyond that you really need to talk out with us and spell out what your plan is here.

Most of the Information on My gang can be found in the Uninvited Guests thread.

Basically there an Irish Druid sect, they don't have much overt dealings with the world. (due to the destruction of many druid's during the Roman era when druid's were hunted down and killed.)

For the time being, there focusing on internal dealings, but they will probably branch out into Freedom city sooner or later. There goal's lie in the accumulation of Magical knowledge (specifically Natural Magic), they also seek to restore nature and balance. So they could eventually branch out into some Eco-Terrorism.

The would have little time or inclination to deal with other 'mobs' Unless doing so was beneficial to them.

When not hiding in there inter-dimensional Grove they usually attempt to blend in with the rest of society by waring normal clothing. (Although those with specific knowledge check, and a good eye, could spot members, due to a small Fox Flame emblem badge that all members were.)

There Main base is an Inter-Dimensional estate, thieve only just recently opened a portal to Freedom city, and so many of the member's haven't left the grove yet. (The Portal is probably located in Liberty park someplace, Possible the botanic garden section or Tennyson Island. I'll establish that later.)

The Grove is split up into 3/4 sects Each with there own style and abilities. The Artificers are inverter's and tinkers of magic, and usually cast magic with the aid of a device of some sort.

The Knights are the physical champion's of the grove, using Magically enchanted armor and weapons to cut down enemies of the grove. (an all male group)

The Storm Maidens are elemental Witchers. The all have various control over elemental powers, (some only 1 element, some very powerful one's all of them.) (an All female group)

Green cloaks (Sub group) are the kids. they have yet to reach the age to select a sect. They have minor magical abilities, and are rarely seen outside the grove.

Well that's probable the overall basic information. But at this point in time. (and probably remaining so until after my move.) there hiding in there grove, before they begin to establish themselves in freedom city.

Well, as refs we kinda have to know. "I may or may not decide my npc organization takes over all the crime in Freedom" is a bit big.
Keep in mind that there's a big difference between 'having a presence' and 'taking over'. What I mean was that they may already be spreading their influence into other areas of Freedom besides the West side.

Basically, they're cool as a possibly rising criminal presence in the west end, or a wider spanning group that performs a specialized service for others. Anything beyond that you really need to talk out with us and spell out what your plan is here.
Okay, let's establish it as this then...

Tony B.'s yet unnamed leader is the Sotto Capo who's been assigned to establish the Mutant Mafia's presence in Freedom City. He's started with the West side and reports to a Capofamilia who has a stronger presence outside of the city, but wants it to fall under his control.

Tony B. himself is the Caporegime who has managed to dominate West End and would like to expand his own territory in the future.

G.D. Badman is the Soldato (aka. Button Man), who's helping him do this.

The Mirror's Edge (assuming he survives the encounter with Captain Knievel), is due for a promotion to Soldato as well.

That's all we have so far for Made Men. The rest are simply Associates, and if the Sicilian model is followed, here, they don't really even need to be mutants. Historically one has had to be Italian in order to 'make their bones' for the mob. Non-Italians can work for them, but the can't rise higher in the organization than a common employee.

If the Mutant Mafia would substitute mutant powers for Italian descent (in other words, only mutants can be full members while non-mutants can still be simple employees), then it would make sense that they could expand their employee base without having to overpopulate the world with an army of mutants.

Sound good?

The current state of the magical gang is just fine, but check with us before expansions of it and so forth.

The mutant mafia.. okay, basically among other things, Freedomworld, as it were, doesn't really come off as having the thriving, numerous mutant culture/population that the Marvel Universe does (well, did until the "no more mutants" thing), it doesn't mean this is a bad idea or anything, just, the idea of them being a multi city organization that's expanded into Freedom, and they all have mutant superpowers, it stretches things. If they're a national crime syndicate all of mutants who have influence across whole cities, that basically is a mutant army that you have to populate the world with. Or at least the United States.

Again, local rising organization or mutant themed criminal enforcement arm with awarded territory, both cool. This other thing, not so much.

It doesn't really matter. We can scale this back as far as you need it to be reduced -- I'm just trying to provide player based challenges in light of the lack of officially driven ones, is all.

Just tell me what level, if any, you wish the Mutant Mafia to be operating within and I'll be fine with your decision.

Maybe they could be a branch of regular mafia that branched off after developing strong contacts with Freedom City's resident mad geneticists, the Power-House. It'd solve the mutant problem, and tie them in better to established material.

That works fine by me. The term 'Mutant Mafia' does not have to refer to natural mutants -- it can also be used for those with artificially induced powers as well, if that fits into the campaign universe more seamlessly.

As for being a power factor? Fine, the regular mafia is being muscled out by super powered criminal organizations, so they're working on their own branch of meta-crims on their own.

Tony B.'s boss is the Sotto Capo put in charge of the project. Tony B. is his Caporegime and G.D. Badman is his Soldato.

It can be that, or it can be whatever the refs decide fits best for their visions of Freedom City. All I know is that Hellbound has fought these guys and I'd like them to be available for anyone else to use as well. This does not need to turn into a weeks-long debate as to how far reaching their scope extends.

It can be that, or it can be whatever the refs decide fits best for their visions of Freedom City. All I know is that Hellbound has fought these guys and I'd like them to be available for anyone else to use as well. This does not need to turn into a weeks-long debate as to how far reaching their scope extends.

Actually, it sorta does. You know all the debates that go on in Char Approval threads on how a char will fit into the FC setting? Those debates get bigger and more convoluted when you introduce an entire new team of beings.

Actually, it sorta does. You know all the debates that go on in Char Approval threads on how a char will fit into the FC setting? Those debates get bigger and more convoluted when you introduce an entire new team of beings.
Except that criminal groups are generally pretty fluid. Leadership comes and goes as heroes take out various levels of commands, hordes of cannon-fodder soldiers are left dead in the sand and as each layer of the organization is peeled back, a new one can be discovered beneath it.

Organized crime is far more variable than a single NPC. The fact that we're not actually allowed to submit writeups for them is just one indication of this. I'm fine with whatever the refs decide their role and scope should be.

The problem, however, is that I'm being told what they can't be without given definitive guidelines of what they can be. So at this point -- fine. We have a few in-character encounters that can be built into more. That 'more' can be as much or as little as the refs decide.

What we need to get away from, however, is the dichotomy of encouraging players to formulate elements of their own universe while at the same time strictly enforcing a loosely defined set of regulations.

This thread can be cut MUCH shorter if the refs would actually take some initiative and make a few suggestions as to how the Mutant Mafia might be made into an interesting and useful part of the Freedom City background.

It's either that or let Captain Knievel kill them all off now so we won't have to worry about them. I just need a decision to be made, is all.

My post prior to yours takes into account some of the suggestions that MarkK made. if what's in there is still not acceptable, then let me know what is otherwise this is more trouble than it's worth.

Except that criminal groups are generally pretty fluid. Leadership comes and goes as heroes take out various levels of commands, hordes of cannon-fodder soldiers are left dead in the sand and as each layer of the organization is peeled back, a new one can be discovered beneath it.

Organized crime is far more variable than a single NPC.

Which is all the more reason it does need to be defined. Unless your plan is to have them all be killed off by Knievel or Hellbound soon after appearing, you do need to define who they are, what they want, what resources they have, who their allies and enemies are, and so on.

The fact that we're not actually allowed to submit writeups for them is just one indication of this. I'm fine with whatever the refs decide their role and scope should be.

No, it isn't an indication of that. The fact players are not allowed to submit entire groups/teams of NPCs is indicative of the Refs not wanting one PC to control an entire team.

What we need to get away from, however, is the dichotomy of encouraging players to formulate elements of their own universe while at the same time strictly enforcing a loosely defined set of regulations.

What dichotomy? Those go perfectly well hand in hand, and those limits have to be in place if we want to have any semblance of a stable world and not a hodgepodged mishmash. (Well, not more hodge-podge-y than the canon stuff.) And it's not "their own universe," it's "our universe," since we're all playing in the same setting, which means everything needs to fit together moderately smoothly, and thus players are not given carte blanche to just make up stuff whenever and wherever they want.

This thread can be cut MUCH shorter if the refs would actually take some initiative and make a few suggestions as to how the Mutant Mafia might be made into an interesting and useful part of the Freedom City background.

No, because that's your job. You're the one who came up with this idea, you're the one that needs to figure out how it can can become an interesting and useful part of FC without grinding up against existing things. If you cannot, if you're not willing or able to do the research needed to fit some new thing into the existing setting, you should not be submitting things like this.

No, because that's your job. You're the one who came up with this idea, you're the one that needs to figure out how it can can become an interesting and useful part of FC without grinding up against existing things. If you cannot, if you're not willing or able to do the research needed to fit some new thing into the existing setting, you should not be submitting things like this.
But I'm not the one with all the books, nor am I the one who decided which parts of those books should be included and which parts should be rejected from this current universe.

I haven't been involved in every thread on the board. I'm not part of the planning sessions that are supposed to be going on behind the scenes that set the direction the universe is to take. And I'm certainly not part of this 'major adventure' that everyone's been talking about since before I got here, but which has yet to materialize.

So I make my suggestions, and perhaps they need tweaking -- but instead of being told the proper directions those tweaks should take, I simply get told "You can't do it like that."

So fine. Clearly attempting to add anything worthwhile to this universe is ultimately a frustrating and fruitless idea. Go ahead and retire both Singing for His Supper and Testing the Waters. I'll restrict Hellbound's solo threads to him sitting at home jacking off since that's about all that he'll ultimately be able to accomplish without perpetrating a major upheaval of the current status quo.

In the meantime, I'll go back to watching the GMs log in every day to vote for Battlesuit vs. Energy projector, discuss their favorite movies and hang out in the chat room for hours at a time. Then, perhaps once a week, I'll be lucky enough to get an actual game turn passed in a thread that's being ran by someone. Assuming it hasn't simply been forgotten about over time like what wat happened to eyeonthemountian

Tanks for clearing that up for me, doc.