Detective Morena Colby (PL6 NPC, Tier 2)

Detective Morena Colby -- PL6 Tier 2 NPC -- Heritage

dina-meyer-14537.jpg

Character Name: Det. Morena Colby

Power Level: 6 (105 pps)

Unspent PPs: 0

Height: 5' 6"

Weight: 128 lbs.

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Blue

Description: An attractive young woman in her mid-thirties, Morena dresses fairly conservatively on the job in jacket, slacks and sensible shoes, but she does her best to look stylish within the limits of her budget. She usually wears one or two pieces of jewelry of her own design, typically a necklace and bracelet in a naturalistic design. She carries a light shoulder bag for both her forensic tools and materials for spell-casting, such as chalk, clay and various herbs.

Off duty, she indulges her passion for tie-dye t-shirts, baggy cargo pants and sandals, switching to clunky boots in cooler weather, with her hair worn up in haphazard fashion if she's working on an art project.

History: The Colbys are a police dynasty in Freedom City, a proud tradition that Morena resisted for many years; brought up in a working-class Lutheran family, she found herself yearning for a more passionate spiritual experience, and devoured books on other countries and cultures from a very young age.

Against her parents' wishes, she left home to attend Freedom College, eventually earning a Masters degree in Anthropology and Comparative Religion; while in school, she also became very interested in indigenous art from around the world, as well as West African drumming.

Ultimately she remained a (partially lapsed) Lutheran, but she feels her explorations of world culture have filled a hole in heart that the faith of parents was never able to do. She also experimented with transcendental mediation (and truth be told, a few hallucinogens), and has gotten quite good at self-inducing a trance. She also spent a year studying overseas in Benin, Ghana and Nigeria.

However, tragedy soon led her life down a different path; shortly after she finished school, Morena's father, a long-serving officer on the Southside, was kidnapped and ritualistically murdered by a drug-dealing cult linked to the Mayombe. Her knowledge of the cult and its symbols allowed her to help the police find him, but not in time to save his life. Deciding to apply her passion to the family tradition of service, Morena enrolled in the police academy two weeks later, and she rose swiftly through the ranks until she finally made detective.

Several years ago, Colby met the young heroine known as Grimalkin, as well as a few of her fellow Interceptors, and even worked with them on a few ooccasions;  the relationship made her a bit uneasy, for while she likes Grim well enough, her powers are frequently off-putting and she still has a few ethical concerns about the whole cop/hero dynamic. However, after Grim disappeared in 2011, their partnership ended, though she now knows the truth about what happened.

Personality & Motivation: Morena has developed many interests to help her cope with the stresses of police work. In her off-hours, she likes to work in her studio, which fills half of the garage behind the West End bungalow that's been in the family for years. She prefers sculpture and pottery, and several of her pieces can be seen on display in galleries in Riverside and the Theatre District. She also teaches art to children at a local community center on weekends (as well as meditation classes for their parents), and still drums with a percussion group based on the Freedom College campus once a month, playing one of her several djembes. And at least twice a year, she goes with friends on a week-long backpacking trip, typically to Upstate New York or the Carolinas.

Colby understands that in a city like Freedom, crime is not just limited to murder and robbery; far worse things go on at night, unspeakable things, and she's one of the few detectives willing to work in the unglamorous Supernatural Crimes Unit. Sometimes the weight of that responsibility is almost too much for her, but she still snaps up her cellphone and gets dressed any time of day or night when the weirdness hits the fan.

A few years ago, Reena used the black plastic frames from a pair of her father's old glasses to make a special fetish to aid her during investigations; wearing the frames allows the wearer to detect and analyze a wide variety of mystical phenomena, but the intense focus required and the bizarre clashes of color which indicate magical effects make them hard to wear for long periods of time. She also uses the semi-finished basement of her home as her ritual space, working mystical enchantments while doing loads of wash.

Stats: [20]

Strength: 12 (+1)

Dexterity: 14 (+2)

Constitution: 12 (+1)

Intelligence: 16 (+3)

Wisdom: 12 (+1)

Charisma: 14(+2)

Combat: [14]

Attack: +4 (+6 Pistol, +6 Shotgun)

Grapple: +5

Defense: +5 (+1 flat-footed)

Knockback: -3 (-2 flat-footed)

Initiative: +2

Saves: [12]

Toughness: +6, +4 flat-footed

Fortitude: +5 (+1 Con, +4)

Reflex: +6 (+2, +4)

Will: +5 (+1 Wis, +4)

Skills: [104r = 26]

Bluff 3 (+5)

Concentration 3 (+4)

Craft (Artistic) 7 (+10)

Diplomacy 4 (+6)

Drive 4 (+6)

Gather Information 6 (+8)

Intimidate 4 (+6)

Investigate 6 (+9)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 7 (+10)

Knowledge (Art) 3 (+6)

Knowledge (Civics) 5 (+8)

Knowledge (Current Events) 5 (+8)

Knowledge (Streetwise) 6 (+9)

Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 6 (+9)

Language 6 (English [native], Ewe, Fon, French, Hausa, Pulaar, Yoruba)

Medicine 1 (+2)

Notice 6 (+7)

Perform (Percussion Instruments) 2 (+4)

Profession (Police Officer) 6 (+7)

Search 6 (+9)

Sense Motive 6 (+7)

Survival 2 (+3)

Swim 2 (+3)

Feats: [28]

Attack Specialization 1 (pistol)

Artificer

Benefit 1 (Security Clearance)

Contacts

Defensive Roll 2

Dodge Focus 2

Equipment 12

Luck 2

Precise Shot 2

Quick Draw 2

Skill Mastery [Craft (Artistic), Gather Information, Knowledge (Arcane Lore), Search]

Trance

Powers [5PP]

Device 1 (5PP, Hard-To-Lose) [4PP]

Super-Senses 6 (Detect Magic [Visual, Extras: Analytical, Counters Illusion 2, Extended, Tracking, Flaws: Distracting]) [5PP]

Equipment: [60ep]

Binoculars [1ep]

Cell phone [1ep]

Digital Audio Recorder [1ep]

Flashlight [1ep]

Handcuffs [1ep]

Heavy Pistol (Blast 4) [8ep]

Knife (Strike 1, Mighty, Improved Critical) [4ep]

Laptop [1ep]

Pepper Spray (Dazzle 5, Stun 5) [15ep]

Shotgun (Blast 6/Blast 5, Accurate) [11ep]

Tonfa (Strike 1, Mighty) [2ep]

Undercover vest (Protection 3, Subtle) [4ep]

Colby's Home: [10ep]

Size: Small; Toughness: 5; Features: Communications, Computer, Garage, Gym, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Pool, Security System, Workshop

DC Block

Unarmed -- DC 16/Toughness -- Damage

Heavy Pistol -- DC 19/Toughness -- Damage

Knife -- DC 17/Toughness -- Damage

Pepper Spray -- DC 15/Reflex, DC 15/Fortitude -- Dazzle, Stun

Shotgun -- DC 20(21)/Toughness -- Damage

Tonfa -- DC 17/Toughness -- Damage

Costs: Abilities (20) + Combat (14) + Saves (12) + Skills (26) + Feats (28) + Powers (5) = TC (105/105)

Edited by Heritage
clean up

Here's a perfectly good character going to waste, left over from Barnum's short-lived 'Department 32' thread. With all the supernatural stuff going on in the city, having at least one cop who understands how not to mess up a supernatural crime scene might be a nice thing to have.

Edit: Whoops, gotta update the sheet to the new standards! ;)

Ok, since I've decide to make this into a PL6 character, she needs a lot of work, but I don't have the time to finish her now; to be continued! :D

She will ultimately replace White Rook, who i think will be switched to an NPC.

To quote Vulva from Series 1 of Spaced, "It's not finished...it's finished." :D

I'm sure I screwed up something, or cheated myself out of a few 'free' PP. Obviously, she doesn't carry all that equipment around on her person; a lot of it stays in the car until needed.

Stats: [20]

Strength: 12 (+1)

Dexterity: 14 (+2)

Constitution: 12 (+1)

Intelligence: 16 (+3)

Wisdom: 12 (+1)

Charisma: 14(+2)

Adds up

Combat: [14]

Attack: +4 (+6 Pistol, +6 Shotgun)

Grapple: +3

Defense: +5 (+2 flat-footed)

Knockback: -2 (-1 flat-footed)

Initiative: +2

Your Attack Specialization is only for your pistol, not your shotgun. Your defense should be +1 flat-footed as you only have +3 real defense. Half rounded down is +1. Your grapple should be +5 (attack bonus + strength modifier). Your Knockback should be -3 (-2 flat-footed) since it is half your toughness.

Saves: [12]

Toughness: +6, +4 flat-footed

Fortitude: +5 (+1 Con, +4)

Reflex: +6 (+2, +4)

Will: +5 (+1 Wis, +4)

Adds up.

Skills: [72r = 18]

Bluff- 3/ +5 (+9 w/ Attractive)

Concentration- 3/ +4

Craft: Artistic- 1/ +4

Diplomacy- 4/ +6 (+10 w/ Attractive)

Drive- 2/ +4

Gather Information- 6/ +8

Intimidate- 4/ +6

Investigate- 6/ +9

Knowledge: Arcane Lore- 6/ +9

Knowledge: Art- 1/ +4

Knowledge: Current Events- 2/ +5

Knowledge: Streetwise- 2/ +5

Knowledge: Theology and Philosophy- 4/ +7

Medicine- 1/ +2

Notice- 6/ +7

Perform: Percussion Instruments- 1/ +3

Profession: Police Officer- 6 / +7

Search- 6/ +9

Sense Motive- 6/ +7

Survival- 1/ +2

Swim- 1/ +2

Adds up.

Feats: [26]

Attack Specialization 1 (pistol)

Attractive

Benefit 1 (Security Clearance)

Contacts

Defensive Roll 2

Dodge Focus 2

Equipment 10

Luck 2

Precise Shot 2

Quick Draw 2

Ritualist

Trance

Adds up.

Equipment: [50ep]

Binoculars [1ep]

Cell phone [1ep]

Digital Audio Recorder [1ep]

Flashlight [1ep]

Handcuffs [1ep]

Heavy Pistol (Blast 4) [8ep]

Knife [3ep]

Laptop [1ep]

Multi-tool [1ep]

Pepper Spray [15ep]

Shotgun [11ep]

Tonfa [2ep]

Undercover vest (Protection 3, Subtle) [4ep]

Adds up, but please do notations for the knife, pepper spray, shotgun, and tonfa the way you did the heavy pistol and undercover vest

DC Block

Unarmed -- DC 16/Toughness -- Damage

Heavy Pistol -- DC 19/Toughness -- Damage

Knife -- DC 17/Toughness -- Damage

Pepper Spray -- DC 15/Reflex, DC 15/Fortitude -- Dazzle, Stun

Shotgun -- DC 20(21)/Toughness -- Damage

Tonfa -- DC 17/Toughness -- Damage

As the notations would make figuring out this a lot easier :D

Okay, the aptly named ShaenTheBrain (he's so smart) pointed out that since I will go Gold next month (Grim's now at 118 pp) that it is stupid for me to make Colby a PL6; she could in fact be a super-cool badass normal of epic proportions, i.e. my second PL10.

If I did this, I could perhaps take a page from my old buddy Prince of Boredom's character Maximilian Prophet and give her one or two magical Devices that giver her a bit more protection, and give her a less brutal option to the shotgun in her trunk of her car. Any objections to pursuing such a course of action?

Alternatively, she could just have more skills, feats and combat stats, and get to the level where she can jury-rig some awesome Rituals; I assume any Powers simulated would be capped by her PL?

Sorry, I coulda sworn I'd already started looking over this.

Background/Personality look fine, numbers add up, I just have one small request: edit the skills so they're in the standard board format ;)

From this

Bluff- 3/ +5 (+9 w/ Attractive)

Concentration- 3/ +4

Craft: Artistic- 1/ +4

To this

Bluff 3 (+5, +9 w/ Attractive)

Concentration 3 (+4)

Craft (Artistic) 1 (+4)

and so on.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...