X-Men Origins: Wolverine

• 2 weeks later...

With the cavet that I do not read comic books and only really know Wolverine from the first few X-men movies and gamer-community conversation, I thought that the movie was very well done. All the major events in his life seemed to be there, but it seemed more of a stand-together story, unlike the watchmen, which I thought was a slave to the books, to its detriment.

I think even someone who knew little about that history of the character could appreciate the movie, though some parts might be a little harder to understand.

God movie, overall, with some nice special effects, especially showing that kind of unique supermen in a non-super world feeling I got form most of the X-men movies.

I didn't care for it that much.

For starters, I have a bit of a bias against Wolverine. I think that being 'really into' Wolverine is the mark of a truly adolescent mind. Oooh claws! Hot Japanese girlfriend! Samurais and Ninja! He smokes cigars! He just seems to be the epitome of the worst of the fan-boy fads of the last 30 years crammed into one package.

I haven't followed comics very much in about 15 years. I do know that historically, the writers have Ret-conned Wolverine to hell and back. Initially, he was a Brick, that went toe-to-toe with the Hulk, but then someone decided that he was a better Feral type, more speed and skill then strength. So, they removed his super strength... but in an early appearance, Wolverine punched out The Hulk. How to explain? Oh, he has a metal skeleton that lets him hit really hard. I'm sure that his adamantium skeleton has also been ret-conned. At one point, his claws were entirely metal, with sheathes stuck between his radius and ulna to hold them in place. Variously (I believe) he's been rewritten as an altered human (given his regeneration and feral powers by the Weapon X program) or only given the skeleton because only regeneration like his could let someone survive it. Whichever...

As for the movie, it falls prey to the constraints of prequels. Wolverine is in conflict with Sabretooth through most of the movie, in such a way that there really should have been a final conflict between them. It is dramatically unsatisfying that there is not... but, we know that Sabretooth makes it into the X-Men movies, so even if there were...

ETA: Beware! Spoilerage follows!

Personally, I liked the movie--which is weird because I'm a comics fanboy who really dislikes Wolverine for his Mary-Sue-ness. I also think that what they did to the character of Deadpool was criminal. And I don't even like Deadpool. Or Gambit, for that matter. And don't get me started on crappy-special-effects Emma Frost who shouldn't be anywhere near the X-Men yet, let alone on the first team!... Or the continuity-defying bullets to the brain... ("Hmmm... I just can't suss out why you've got amnesia, Logan. Though, those TWO HOLES IN THE ADAMANTIUM PLATING ON YOUR FOREHEAD might be a bit of a give-away...")

And yet, for all that, I really liked this realization of Logan. That, and the sibling rivalry between him and Sabertooth was very nicely done. I liked the way they parted in the end. And, I liked his lady-love, who was gorgeous and well acted. I forgave a lot for those few dynamics.

Though, to be fair, I think it helped that I went in expecting to regret the lost time.

I haven't followed comics very much in about 15 years. I do know that historically, the writers have Ret-conned Wolverine to hell and back. Initially, he was a Brick, that went toe-to-toe with the Hulk, but then someone decided that he was a better Feral type, more speed and skill then strength. So, they removed his super strength... but in an early appearance, Wolverine punched out The Hulk. How to explain? Oh, he has a metal skeleton that lets him hit really hard. I'm sure that his adamantium skeleton has also been ret-conned. At one point, his claws were entirely metal, with sheathes stuck between his radius and ulna to hold them in place. Variously (I believe) he's been rewritten as an altered human (given his regeneration and feral powers by the Weapon X program) or only given the skeleton because only regeneration like his could let someone survive it. Whichever...

Initially he was going to be a regular wolverine that the High Evolutionary uplifted into humanoid form. And his claws were part of his costume.

Then he was a mutant human, and his metal claws were something the Secret Government Team which gave him his metal bones implanted into his arms. (Some OHtMU entries at the time said they were cybernetic claws.) Only reason Wolvie survived the Adamantium-bonding process was b/c of his mutant healing factor.

Then Magneto tore the Adamantium out of Wolvie, and we later found he had bone claws which had been covered by Adamantium just like the rest of his bones. Logan's Swiss cheese memory forgot that his claws were a part of him.

(Apocalypse later gave Wolvie his Adamantium back, as part of turning him into his Horseman of Death.)

The Origin miniseries (2001-2002) revealed more of his history: he was a sickly child born in the mid-19th century in Canada to rich plantation owners. His birth name was James Howlett. One day discovered he had bone claws and a healing factor and heightened senses and animalistic rages. At the time, his parents were normal humans... but a more recent retcon revealed that Wolverine's parent weren't normal humans, they're mutants. Not just mutants, but from a long line of mutants: his mother (and her ancestors) had bone claws and suffered animalistic rages, while his father (and his ancestors) had a Healing Factor and heightened senses. James Howlett/Logan/Wolverine received both sets of abilities.

His regeneration's also creeped up. Used to be that something as nasty as crucifixion could've killed him (if not for being saved by Jubilee), but now he can regenerate from nothing more than a brain in an Adamantium-laced skeleton in a matter of moments. Part of the creep happened when he had his Adamantium removed -- Adamantium's toxic, so for all this time his Healing Factor's been fighting off Adamantium poisoning, and when it was gone, he was able to heal faster. Shortly after he discovered he had bone claws, he freaked and ran out, and was hit by a semi truck. The front wheels crushed several ribs, but they were completely healed by the time the back wheel hits him (and crushed them again). When his Adamantium was restored, that should've slowed his Healing Factor down... but someone forgot to tell the writers. Part of the creep is simply because He's Popular.

Another recent-ish retcon: every time Wolvie dies and comes back to life, it's not just his Healing Factor that does it. It's also because he's been kicking the butt of Azrael, the Angel of Death. While Wolverine's body always fully heals from injuries, the return of his consciousness/soul to his body depends upon the outcome of these battles with Azrael; this has been going on since WW I.

Also, he's got a son, Daken.

Then Magneto tore the Adamantium out of Wolvie...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... entHorizon

Another recent-ish retcon: every time Wolvie dies and comes back to life, it's not just his Healing Factor that does it. It's also because he's been kicking the butt of Azrael, the Angel of Death. While Wolverine's body always fully heals from injuries, the return of his consciousness/soul to his body depends upon the outcome of these battles with Azrael; this has been going on since WW I.

Also, he's got a son, Daken.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... Continuity

Another recent-ish retcon: every time Wolvie dies and comes back to life, it's not just his Healing Factor that does it. It's also because he's been kicking the butt of Azrael, the Angel of Death. While Wolverine's body always fully heals from injuries, the return of his consciousness/soul to his body depends upon the outcome of these battles with Azrael; this has been going on since WW I.Daken.

Really? Of that, I was not aware. But then I've never been much of an X-Fan, so I don't keep up on all of this nonsense. It does, however, explain how he was able to beat Lobo.

Well... wait... no, no it doesn't. Not completely, but it helps.