Rex the Eliminator - svenlol- PL 10 Villain

rex.gif

Players Name: Svenlol

Power Level: 10 (150pp)

Trade-Offs: -2 attack +2 DC mod, -2 defense +2 toughness

Unspent PP: 0

Characters Name: Rex The Eliminator

Alternate Identity: RC1183

Age: 5 years old (Technically 995 years until he is produced.)

Height: 6'5''

Weight: 300 (Metal Skeleton)

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Black

Description: Rex is tall, broad and generally scary looking. His leather jacket and sunglasses have replaced his normal battle armor, which was made obsolete from his new nanobots which can patch him up faster and can protect him better than any automated battle armor. Despite his age and due to advances in clone growth and hormone injections, Rex looks to be about 28. Other than that he is very nondescript and plain.

History:

Rex is a top of the line combat Cyborg grown by the Cycolsis Group that have a cyborg factory on the 4th Moon of Jupiter built in the year 3004. He was an exceptional specimen, grown for heavy combat and sustained sieges. His reinforced skeleton is maintained by nanobots that grant him exceptional strength and agility, along with a disturbingly fast recovery rate. His computerized brain is still very human-like, allowing him to still relate with humans and have some emotions. His combat training, both virtual and in real combat situations, make him a formidable opponent. He is absolutely unrivaled in melee combat even by his cyborg peers. However, he is a tool, not a commander. Point him in a direction and he will faithfully execute his mission with little regard for his own safety. Just don't expect him to plan an ambush.

Rex was sent here by the Multination Corporation 1000 years from now to defeat a menace that will threaten their profits. However, as soon as he had come out of the temporal flux he walked right in front of a bus, smashing his memory nodule to bits. His repair nanobots had not activated, so when they did they thought that was how the memory nodule should be, and therefore cannot be fixed by the nanobots. If someone else tries to fix the damage it will just be undone by the nanobots. The assassination directive was destroyed and cannot be recovered without further meddling from the future. Because of that accident he cannot remember his objective, but knows he must eliminate someone.

He took to the streets, asking for things to eliminate, thinking somebody must know what he has to eliminate. An old woman got him to eliminate her rodent infestation; however his manner of exterminating was less than desirable. While standing next to a busy intersection, stopping random cars asking if they wanted something eliminated, he overheard someone yelling, “Get a job you lazy bum!†Something clicked in his head and he went to the local temp agency looking for work.

Of course, the first thing Rex said to the temp agent was that he wanted to eliminate something, to which the agent replied that he knew of some work at the local prison. He was then put in charge of pulling the switch on the electric chair. He had yet to actually pull the switch with someone sitting in the chair, but he practiced at least 5 times an hour.

He now is a squatter in an abandoned apartment building in which he has outfitted to be his base of operations. Using his knowledge of computers and advanced electronics he has made a kind of "home way from home" by recreating much of the equipment he used when he was in 3009. Spartan and homely this base will do for his mission, once he figures out what that is again.

Personality & Motivation:

Methodical and logical, Rex tends to follow commands as he did back in combat and is still searching for some clue to his mission objective. All he can remember is that he was supposed to kill someone that was to bring about a large problem for the Cyclosis Corporation 1000 years in the future. Any hero that might seem like he might disrupt Cycolsis or is just aggravating will draw his attention, and he will attack it until it seems prudent to stop. If that means until death or surrender, so be it. Now he is attempting to build a machine to open another temporal flux to bring him back to his own time. To do so he is going to need some rare raw materials to "persuade" their owners to give to him... :D

Complications:

Broken Memory Module - Forgets things, like his old mission objective, why he went upstairs, and even the face of a new friend. (note will only occur maybe once every six hours)

Primary Objective Lost - Has lost his main objective, therefore reverts to Secondary Objective.

Secondary Objective - Go back to the future to receive new main objective.

Tertiary Objective - Eliminate those designated by others.

Due to Eidetic Memory he will remember, and therefore carry out, orders to the letter.

Shorter Life Span - Due to the rapid growth of clones and lack of caution in the experimentation on his body, Rex will be lucky to see his 25th birthday.

Stats(14):

STR 18/34 (+4/+12)

DEX 12 (+1)

CON 16/24 (+3/+7)

INT 12 (+1)

WIS 8 (-1)CHA 8 (-1)

Combat (32):

Attack +8

Grapple: +23(Attack - +8, Strength - +12, Size - +0, Super Strength - +3)

Defense 18 (Flat-footed: 14)

Knockback -11

Initiative +1

Saves (4pp):

Toughness +12(+3 con + 4 enhanced con +5 Protection)

Fortitude (+3 con + 4 enhanced con) +7

Reflex (+1 dex +3)+4

Willpower (-1 wis + 1) +0

Skills(16):

Computers 9 (+10)

Craft (Electronic) 9 (+10)

Craft (Mechanical) 9 (+10)

Drive 9 (+10)

Intimidate 9(+9)

Knowledge (Tactics) 2 (+3)

Notice 9 (+8)

Search 8 (+9)

Feats(22pp):

Accurate Attack

All-out Attack

Assessment

Chokehold

Eidetic Memory

Equipment 4

Fearless

Fearsome Presence 5

Improved Critical (Unarmed)

Improved Grab

Improved Grapple

Improved Pin

Power Attack

Stunning Attack

Takedown Attack

Equipment (20 equipment points):

Shotgun (11)

Damage (+6 Solid Slugs)

Range 40ft

Abandoned Apartment (9)

Size Tiny(-1ep)

Toughness 20 (3ep)

Features (7ep)

Combat Simulator (a simple VR head unit that can only be plugged into Rex, or another cyborg with the right socket.)

Communications

Computer

Concealed

Defense System

Garage (in the basement of the apartment)

Workshop

Powers (62):

Enhanced Strength 16 (Nanobot Strength) (16pp)

Enhanced Constitution 8 (Nanobot Constitution) (8pp)

Protection 5 (5pp) (Battle Scarred Skin; Extra: Impervious 10) (10pp)

Quickness 1 (Nanobot Computation) (1pp)

Regeneration 12 (Nanobot Regeneration; PF: Persistant) (13pp)

*Recovery Rate (Bruised - No Action)

*Recovery Rate (Injured - No Action),

*Recovery Rate (Staggered - One Minute)

Super Senses 3 (3pp)

*Tracking (Via sight) 2

*Infravision 1

Super-Strength 3 (Nanobot Super-Strength) (6pp) (Effective Str 49; Lt Load 3.7 tons, Med Load 7.5 tons, Hvy Load 11.2 tons) (6pp)

DC Block:

Attack Name -- DC/Save -- Damage type

Unarmed -- DC 27/Toughness -- Bruise

Shotgun -- DC 21/Toughness -- Bruise/Lethal

Cost Summary:

Ability 14 + Combat 32 + Saves 4 + Skills 16 (64 Ranks) + Feats 22 + Powers 62 - Drawbacks 0 = 150 / 150

On a side note, this is my first character, and my first post on the boards, so consider this my first hello to the forums. I hope to have a lot of fun playing with you all. :D

Edit: Took into account what Geezer said about my CON score and other such things, and removed the broken memory module as a disability and put it under complication, and added follower as well.

Edit: Removed motorcycle as an equipment cost, put it as 0 as it is only transport, and added a secret headquarters in an abandoned apartment. Added this in under flavor text as well.

Edit: retooled the format of the sheet and added a bit more flavor text.

Edit: Edited the flavor as per MarkK

Edited more as per MarkK

Lemme see if I can lighten the ref's load a tiny bit here, mostly because I feel responsible for bringing a 3rd one in.

STR 18/34 (+4/+12)

DEX 12 (+1)

CON 16 (+3)

INT 12 (+1)

WIS 8 (-1)

CHA 8 (-1)

Next, some general build advice. You put 4 points into your Fort save, and 9 points into Protection. Take 4 points out of Fort Save, and 4 points out of Protection, and put 8 points in Con. Same overall effect and cost, plus you now have a better recovery check to take advantage of your regeneration. I don't care if it's normal Con or Enhanced, pick your poison.

Next, Grapple check should be +23 (+8 Attack, +12 Str, +3 Super-Strength). Also you should note how much weight you can carry at each of your loads next to your Super-Strength, and what your effective Strength score for lifting is.

Powers (54):

Enhanced Strength 16 {16}

Protection 5 Extra: Impervious 10 {15}

Quickness 1 (x2 speed) {1}

Regeneration 15 PF: Persistant {16}

* Recovery Rate (Bruised - No Rest)

* Recovery Rate (Injured - No Rest)

* Recovery Rate (Staggered - No Rest)

Super-Strength 3 (Effective Str 49; Lt Load 3.7 tons, Med Load 7.5 tons, Hvy Load 11.2 tons) {6}

Much prettier, yes?

Stats(14):

STR 18/34 (+4/+12)

DEX 12 (+1)

CON 16/24 (+3/+7)

INT 12 (+1)

WIS 8 (-1)

CHA 8 (-1)

Adds up.

Combat (32):

Attack +8

Grapple: +23(Attack - +8, Strength - +12, Size - +0, Super Strength - +3)

Defense 18 (Flat-footed: 14)

Knockback -11

Initiative +1

Adds up.

Saves (4pp):

Toughness +12(+3 con + 4 enhanced con +5 Protection)

Fortitude (+3 con + 4 enhanced con) +7

Reflex (+1 dex +3)+4

Willpower (-1 wis + 1) +0

Adds up.

Skills(16):

Computers 9 (+10)

Craft (Electronic) 9 (+10)

Craft (Mechanical) 9 (+10)

Drive 9 (+10)

Intimidate 9(+9)

Knowledge (Tactics) 2 (+3)

Notice 9 (+8)

Search 8 (+9)

Adds up.

Feats(22pp):

Accurate Attack

All-out Attack

Assessment

Chokehold

Eidetic Memory

Equipment 4

Fearless

Fearsome Presence 5

Improved Critical (Unarmed)

Improved Grab

Improved Grapple

Improved Pin

Power Attack

Stunning Attack

Takedown Attack

Adds up.

Equipment (20 equipment points):

Shotgun (11)

Damage (+6 Solid Slugs)

Range 40ft

Abandoned Apartment (9)

Size Tiny(-1ep)

Toughness 20 (3ep)

Features (7ep)

Combat Simulator (a simple VR head unit that can only be plugged into Rex, or another cyborg with the right socket.)

Communications

Computer

Concealed

Defense System

Garage (in the basement of the apartment)

Workshop

Adds up.

Powers (62):

Enhanced Strength 16 (Nanobot Strength) (16pp)

Enhanced Constitution 8 (Nanobot Constitution) (8pp)

Protection 5 (5pp) (Battle Scarred Skin; Extra: Impervious 10) (10pp)

Quickness 1 (Nanobot Computation) (1pp)

Regeneration 15 (Nanobot Regeneration; PF: Persistant) (16pp)

*Recovery Rate (Bruised - No Action)

*Recovery Rate (Injured - No Action),

*Recovery Rate (Staggered - No Action)

Super-Strength 3 (Nanobot Super-Strength) (6pp) (Effective Str 49; Lt Load 3.7 tons, Med Load 7.5 tons, Hvy Load 11.2 tons) (6pp)

Adds up.

DC Block:

Attack Name -- DC/Save -- Damage type

Unarmed -- DC 27/Toughness -- Bruise

Shotgun -- DC 21/Toughness -- Bruise/Lethal

Adds up.

Approved

Okay, I'm taking a look here.. your character can't really remember things from one day to the next, is inclined to be a follower of others, and is probably going to die soon.

These things do not exactly scream long term playability to me, you know?

What do you see the role/function of this character as?

Well, I want him to be a parody of the tough run-and-gun bad guy types like the Punisher and the Terminator. Fighting the good guys and then having either beating them to a pulp or getting persuaded to fight somebody that he isn't supposed to. Think like how the Rhino always gets tricked and confused by Spiderman. The short life span is just a cool way of eventually retiring the character if I ever need to. If I end up playing him for the next 5 years (which honestly I doubt) I can always just hand wave that away with some sort of age reduction from the future or something like that. The memory is more like a dog and less like a goldfish. I might remember a few people, but bark and bite at the rest.

Is the Rhino a sidekick to Doc Ock? They work together a lot like in the Sinister Six, but Rhino still is a threat on his own. To be honest I'm still very new to this so I'm open to suggestion about character's background. If you have any suggestions I'll be more than willing to listen to them.

Complications:

Broken Memory Module - Forgets things, like his old mission objective, why he went upstairs, and even the face of a new friend

Primary Objective Lost - Has lost his main objective, therefore reverts to Secondary Objective.

Secondary Objective - Eliminate those designated by others. Receive new main objective.

Due to Eidetic Memory he will remember, and therefore carry out, orders to the letter.

Follower - Very good at following orders, very weak willed and susceptible to suggestion.

Shorter Life Span - Due to the rapid growth of clones and lack of caution in the experimentation on his body, Rex will be lucky to see his 25th birthday.

So less following, more confusion for Rex. He will follow orders to the letter, if he thinks they are from his superiors.

That's... barely any changes at all as far as what I've noted as my problem here. His state of confusion only makes him more susceptible to being lead around by whoever. Indeed, things like his memory problems mean he basically needs to be, or it would seem like he couldn't possibly function on a short term, thread scene basis.

Okay.. look, I'll put this as forthrightly as possible.

Your character as it stands has little to no capacity to operate on their own in any way given their complications and sheer mental deficiencies. Comparing him to the Rhino does not in any way fly here, because while the Rhino may be something of a dolt (though depending on the writing, he sometimes has a certain low cunning and crude insight), he's at least capable of forming plans, ideas, and taking action of himself, whether robbing a bank, or freeing all the animals from a zoo because it's the apocalypse in his view. He has goals, dreams, ideas. Even if they're something as simple as "make myself rich". The Rhino can have threads created around him trying to do something. He can stand on his own. This guy can't. He actively needs someone around to tell him what to do given his brain damage, just to function coherently. As you've otherwise made clear that he can't function coherently.

The particular problem here is that as noted in other places, this character has basically been created/recruited to follow some pre established characters. When he is so non functional on his own that I can't buy him doing much on his own outside of those characters, when he outright has a "complication" flat out called /follower/, this creates many problems. One, that he will be getting hero points for doing the thing you made him to do in the first place. That's not a complication, that's the character's purpose.

Two, a character that can't stand on their own is basically a sidekick. If your friends want a sidekick for their characters, they can buy the sidekick feat, that's what it is there for. Otherwise your character needs some capacity to stand on their own. If all your character is, is muscle to try to be called in if a thread isn't going someone's way, or to otherwise essentially be the extension of someone else's character as they tell them what to do, then they're better served as a sidekick feat or an npc. A player character carries with it the notion of at least some self determination, this guy has none.

I'm not really keen on approving this character without massive conceptual reworking of how it is supposed to function. Otherwise, I've helped admin on various large shared setting rpg chats/forums where I've run into this sort of situation, and when this kind of thing happens, it verges on metagaming.

I could live with it if your character was say, PL 6 to his master's PL 10. I wouldn't be thrilled at someone trying to dodge spending points on sidekick that way, but it would be okay, since, at pl 6, it's not that hugely devastating an issue. But your character is a full out pl 10 150, combat maximized sidekick. And no.

If I wanted to make him act without purpose and only follow other people's orders, I would have made him a construct. That way he wouldn't have an intelligence or charisma score and couldn't function. What I'm really exploring here is what if the Terminator no longer had a target? What would he do? Why wouldn't he rob a bank, or just haul off and kill somebody? If he forgets what he is doing sometimes, who cares? It'll be more interesting than a cookie cutter bad guy. Say he is fighting some hero that he targeted, but then some line in his brain gets crossed and he forgets whats going on? The the hero goes and makes a crack at him to go jump off a bridge. So what would he do? Go jump off the nearest bridge! :P I have no intention of being anyone's side kick. Ever. Rex might be a dolt, but its a double edged sword. He might get confused and help the bad guys, or help the good guys. But the way he goes about it will always make him a villain. And what pre-established characters are you talking about? Just cause I have friends that also play doesn't mean I want to be best friend with them in character.

If I add that he wanted to build a time machine to go back into his own time, would that give him enough outside motivation to approve him?

edit: Made the following changes because I sat on the ideas and really liked them :D

Personality & Motivation:

Methodical and logical, Rex tends to follow commands as he did back in combat and is still searching for some clue to his mission objective. All he can remember is that he was supposed to kill some mutant that was to bring about a large problem for the Cyclosis Corporation 1000 years in the future. Any hero that might seem mutant like or just aggravating will draw his attention, and he will attack it until it seems prudent to stop. If that means until death or surrender, so be it. Now he is attempting to build a machine to open another temporal flux to bring him back to his own time. To do so he is going to need some rare raw materials to "persuade" their owners to give to him... :D

Complications:

Broken Memory Module - Forgets things, like his old mission objective, why he went upstairs, and even the face of a new friend

Secondary Objective - Go back to the future to receive new main objective.

Tertiary Objective - Eliminate those designated by others.

I have no intention of being anyone's side kick. Ever.

Dude. All the characters from your group have, in some way or another, a thing against mutants for one reason or another. And are all villains. And of all them, your character is specifically a follower who does what other people tell him, with no real capacity to initiate his own stuff or function on his own for any reason, and is generally optimized for combat.

I will ask you if you understand how that entirely, regardless of what your intent might be, could come off like you have made their pl 10 150 minion feat/sidekick feat?

And what pre-established characters are you talking about? Just cause I have friends that also play doesn't mean I want to be best friend with them in character.

Okay, come on man. There's a post in the secret identities thread flat out talking about this.

Okay.. having spoken with you in chat about this further, the new changes made hit the conceptual stuff that needed changing. Thank you.

Mechanical stuff, I'm not really a fan of auto bruise recover/auto injured recover/ and auto staggered recover combined. I'd prefer an increase on the staggered recovery interval, if not dropping it.

Rex can remember things perfectly, so long as he can remember them in the first place. He is a cyborg after all. Like he records his experiences and can recall them perfectly, but some of the files have been damaged and are corrupt. Sometimes these files get corrupted from time to time, but they generally all still work. Anything particularly wrong with this explanation?

It seems pretty random and arbitrary as far as when you'll say eidetic memory applies and when it doesn't, is my problem. It verges on "I remember everything perfectly except for anything I don't want to remember".

Aside from that it's just conceptually jarring.

I was thinking of it as more of an interesting character detail that anything else. He is used to recording all of his experiences and remembering everything perfectly, but now there are things that are lost that he can't revisit. I know its conceptually jarring, that was kind of the point. What would it be like to be a cyborg with a broken memory, that might be losing his mind?

I just don't understand your hesitation here. It's not like Rex forgetting things has any terrible side effects on anybody else. And how does memory really effect other heroes and villains? What character can't remember certain things when they are all cataloged on this forum? This is also more of a protection against Rex using his knowledge of the future to hold sway over the course of Freedom City at large, because he can't remember things perfectly from his past/the future he can't use that knowledge to do things that would upset the setting.

Basically what I'm saying is, whats the harm in doing this?

Okay, to say it more directly, the entire original set of problems with this character centered around the way it was easy to exploit for certain things. Combining eidetic memory with the complication you have is basically like saying "my memory related complication only affects me when I say it does, otherwise I have a perfect memory." This is a problem. It would mean needing increased mod oversight for your character more than most.

Nevermind, the more and more you talk about his broken mind, how is that working with having an eidetic memory? By conceptually jarring I mean it just doesn't really make much sense.

You don't need an eidetic memory to remember the things the character from his backstory remembers, otherwise it's a complication and a merit that seem mutually exclusive for how they have been described.

• 4 weeks later...