Partner/BBF

Rei

I’m looking for a heterosexual life partner, someone to control my in process Avatar. Jacen’s problems are twofold: He has an incredibly fragile ego and is prone to make stupid decisions and/or overextend himself for approval. I’m looking for either a veteran hero who’s expressed with children or a more responsible young hero that’ll act as Jacen’s foil. Anyone up for the task?

It’s not a sidekick parse, but a close friend. Consider the relationship between Iron Fist and Luke “Power Man†Cage of the Heroes for Hire fame as the two are incredibly close and will drop everything to help each other, but have their own lives, personal issues, and unique villains.

I’d say Jacen has the emotional center and appeal to hold a solo series, but a strong supporting cast can elevate enough the most powerful characters. Just imagine how the Dark Knight franchise would’ve turned out without Alfred or Jim Gordon to play off Batman. That’s precisely why I want to find his antithesis or best friend. This way, I can use other devices, particularly outside my control, to further his development.

Perhaps we’re looking it from different backgrounds and perspectives, but I learned role-playing by using external focuses, such as other characters, to develop one character. But if it’s a serious issue, I’ll forget about it.

One of the aspects of the character I'm building has a Social Work degree. Also, my characters will be agents of AEGIS (assuming I successfully navigate them through the approval process). I had something of an idea that the character might get assigned to Project Freedom, as something of a Super Powered Parole Officer, but a side-role as a Social Worker to the Super Human set might not be out of line either.

The immediate problem with that scenario I see, for my character or any other character for that matter, is a responsible adult would work against allowing a child (not yet adult anyways) with borderline personality disorder to operate as a Super Hero. Consider all the flack Batman catches for Robin.

As a student at Claremont, Avatar could be influenced by some of the senior (and hopefully heroic) students. I sort of assume that Duncan Summers has a "don't ask/don't tell" philosophy towards the students operating outside the school... not quite the same willful child endangerment that Bruce Wayne was known for, just a certain permissiveness. Having read through Avatar, I do see what Dr. Archeville is saying, but I think that if you allow Avatar's "need for approval" to drive him to DO THINGS instead of wallow in self pity (well, a little wallowing is fine for dramatic purposes) you should do OK.

Actually I never intended for him to wallow in self-pity. His a character arc would’ve focused around creating and using the Avatar persona to achieve a sense of importance that doesn’t exist in his real live then developing a truly heroics self. Or if pushed in the ‘right’ direction, he’d realize the suffering inn super heroism and embrace self-indulgence-a villain ending sort of speak.