Heritage - The White Rook - PL10 Hero (NPC Tier 1)

whiterook2.jpg

Name: The White Rook

PL 10 (150/151)

Unspent PPs: 1

Alternate Identity: Adele St. Ternan

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 157 lbs

Hair: Blonde

Eyes: Blue

Description: Adele is a beautiful young woman in her mid-twenties; tall, blonde, and blue-eyed, she makes a striking figure, yet she doesn't seem to actively 'work it', for lack of a better phrase. Instead of dresses and high heels, she favors leather, denim and wool, as well as comfortable boots, for in truth she's a country girl from the Highlands who's spent little of her life in major metropolitan areas. Her Scottish accent is fairly strong, but she can almost completly drop it in favor of a refined RP accent with a little effort, usally if she's making gentle fun of the English.

Her magic, like that of all the Sisters, comes from a strange dimension known only as 'the White', though in day-to-day speech it's frequently known as 'whitespace'. The White is a realm of seemingly endless pure energy, which the Sisters use for protection and to heal, but it can also be focused into pearly-white shafts of power to strike at foes. There is also a noticeable white glow when she touches someone to heal them, or opens disc-like portals to teleport or fetch a clean sweater.

History: Since the early morning of the earth, they have waited; the Sisters of the Sacred Grove have been vigilant, keeping their minds and hearts pure, practicing the old ways handed down from mother to daughter in an endless chain of knowledge. The Sisterhood knows that one day the old mad gods will spill out of their hiding places and attempt to retake the world that once was theirs for a brief black moment before the Age of Man.

The Sisters of the Sacred Grove have guarded the land for centuries; to the outside world they have been a convent, a girls' school, a Utopian society, a hippie commune and now an artists' retreat. What shape they will assume in the future can only be guessed. The beautiful serene women of the Grove have never lacked for male companionship, and the men who've been drawn to them have gladly stay to help in any way they can, not as prisoners but free to come and go as they please. Men and women tend and shear the sheep, groom the horses and mend the fences together, living each day in artful union. The folk of the neighboring farms and nearby village of Cannich find the Grove's inhabitants to be a bit odd, but they make fine goat cheese and thick wool sweaters to sell to tourists, and are always polite, soft-spoken and pay their debts promptly.

Adele was born on Aldergrove Farm, as it's now known, and like her mother and her mother's mother, she learned the old ways even as she spent time in the Farm's library, devouring its meager but nourishing contents by the time she was fifteen. She and some of the younger sisters begged the matrons for new sources of knowledge, something, anything. There had been a telly in a corner of sitting room for a few years, but it rarely worked and had terrible reception, and their only wireless set was in Mother Harriet's room so she could get the football scores.

The girls were utterly gobsmacked when Mother Gertrude actually bought them a computer for the library; they sat there for nearly two days just staring at it, too frightened to even turn it on. It was Adele who finally got the courage to find the power switch and bring it to life, and the matrons shook their heads at the sight of them crowded around the damned thing until the wee hours of the morning; Not in my day, they would mutter.

One day Sister Elenore found a 'chat room' used by people interested in the occult, and started up a friendship with a girl from Ireland called Faye; she was very interested in the Farm and the hints that Elenore let slip. Elenore appealed to the matrons to allow Faye to come visit; maybe it was time the Sisterhood looked outside its stone walls for new recruits to continue its traditions? After weeks of pleading and needling, the matrons reluctantly agreed.

When she first arrived, the young Irishwoman charmed everyone, and proved to be a remarkably adept pupil; however in time it became clear what Faye was really interested in: knowledge of the old mad gods the Sisters were sworn to fight. The night before the matrons planned to confront her, she disappeared, along with several rare magical texts. In vain the Sisters sought to find her, but their errant pupil masked her presence from them, and after several years they stopped actively looking for her, returning to their training while keeping one eye on the horizon...

And then a thief and assassin calling herself 'the Red Queen' appeared on the global scene; she was far from famous, but words of her deeds threaded through the magical community until they reached the Sisterhood. Recognizing their own magical secrets perverted to criminal ends, they chose three of their best warriors to track her down and bring her to justice. To protect their identities, they were given codenames similar to their prey; as the eldest, Sister Elenore became the White Queen, Sister Isabelle was named the White Bishop and Adele was called the White Rook. Together they would scour the Earth in search of this so-called Red Queen, and bring her back to Aldergrove, dead or alive.

The hunt took several months, with the Queen seemingly always just out of reach; Isabelle almost had her in Sicily, and Adele herself had the drop on her in Guam, but the clever Queen, a mistress of both magic and technology (especially modern weapons) always wriggled away, usually leaving her hunters badly injured by some glyph or boobytrap.

Adele was sure Faye had been in Freedom City, and spent weeks in a hotel room waiting for her to return, her mystical senses extended to their very limits. But then word came from the Farm; Elenore, the first of the Sisters to befriend her, had slain the Queen in Denmark, and they were all to return at once.

However, Adele stunned the Sisterhood by refusing to come home; she had seen a great deal during the hunt for Faye, and the world she saw needed help. What good were their amazing powers if all they did was train and train and train, never honing their skills in actual combat, or finding peaceful ways to use their gift to help those in need? The matrons discussed among themselves, and as before they agreed with much reluctance; Adele could remain in the outside world, provided she remained in frequent contact with her sisters and allowed no harm to fall on them due to her actions. Delighted, she instantly agreed.

Personality & Motivation: Adele is something of a paradox; in many ways, she is quite ignorant of how the 'real world' operates, yet she possesses a deep understanding of the human heart, and it's potential for both good and evil. With little exposure to the media or traditional Western education, she is something of an innocent abroad, and the hip slang of America's youth frequently baffles her. But America is also delicious coffee, beautiful landscapes and attractive young men who like to buy you delicious coffee. She will fight evil wherever she finds it, but she's also going to enjoy all that life has to offer while she's at it.

Because of her cultural awkwardness, Adele sometimes comes off as shy or aloof, but to her a friendship once forged is never forgotten. When the roar of the city becomes too much for her, she'll use her magic to find some quite spot far from the chatter of humans and recover her composure. Since the Farm is now supposed to be an artists' co-op, all the girls have been taught to sketch, paint or sculpt, and Adele enjoys expressing herself artistically, especially in watercolors or clay.

The White Rook has no traditional source of income, but the Sisterhood sends her 'care packages' of money (actual US dollars), art supplies and hard-to-find UK treats like Jaffa Cakes and HobNobs; the Farm also pays for her hotel room in some unspecified way. The young magical warrior keeps her possessions (the few she actually has) in a hole in whitespace; for some reason, Adele's little corner of the White seems to be accumulating a lot of new clothes...

Abilities: [0+2+2+6+8+4 = 22pp]

Strength: 10 (+0)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 12 (+1)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 18 (+4)

Charisma: 14 (+2)

Combat: [12+12 = 24]

Attack: +6

Grapple: +6

Defense: +6 (+3 flat-footed)

Knockback: -10 (-0 w/o Force Field)

Initiative: +1

Saves: [5+4+4 = 13pp]

Toughness: +11 (Imp 10); +1 w/o Force Field

Fortitude: +6 (+1 Con, +5)

Reflex: +5 (+1 Dex, +4)

Will: +8 (+4 Wis, +4)

Skills: [100r = 25pp]

Bluff 6 (+8)

Computers 1 (+3)

Concentration 6 (+10)

Craft (Artistic) 6 (+8)

Diplomacy 8 (+10)

Gather Information 8 (+10)

Handle Animals 4 (+6)

Intimidate 6 (+8)

Investigate 8 (+10)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 8 (+10)

Knowledge (Art) 1 (+3)

Knowledge (Current Events) 1 (+3)

Knowledge (History) 4 (+6)

Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 1 (+3)

Language 1 (Scottish Gaelic)

Notice 6 (+10)

Profession (Farmer) 4 (+8)

Ride 4 (+6)

Search 6 (+8)

Sense Motive 6 (+10)

Stealth 3 (+4)

Swim 2 (+2)

Feats: [5pp]

Equipment 1

Power Attack

Precise Shot

Ritualist

Skill Mastery (Diplomacy, Gather Information, Investigate, Sense Motive)

Equipment:

Camera, cellphone, flashlight, mini tape recorder, multi-tool

Powers:

Flight 3 (50 mph / 500 feet) [6pp]

Force Field 10 (Extra: Impervious 10; PF: Subtle 1) [21pp]

- Immunity 9 (Life Support, Sustained, Linked w/ Force Field) [9pp]

Magic 10 (PFs: 7 Alternate Powers/Spells) [27pp]

BE: Blast 10

AP: Comprehend 4 (Languages)

AP: Dimensional Pocket 10

AP: ESP 9 (Global, Visual: PFs: Subtle)

AP: Healing 10

AP: Illusion 4 (Auditory & Visual; Extra: Action; PFs: Progression 2)

AP: Telekinesis 9 (Str 45; PFs: Precise, Subtle)

AP: Teleport 9 (Global)

Super-Senses 1 (Magical Awareness [Mental]) [1pp]

Drawbacks:

Power Loss (Flight, Force Field and Magic when unable to gesture -3)

PP Totals:

Abilities 22 + Skills 25 + Feats 5 + Powers 64 + Combat 24 + Saves 13 + Drawbacks -3 = Total: 150/151

Okay, so in going with the lighter tone for this character, I think Healing would be a good idea, maybe making her a stronger flier too, and get rid of RQ's lethal penetrating Strike attack. Any other suggestions before I start poking around?

Well, as I said in Chat, her Magic in general has some errors. Magic 10 would allow spells of up to 20pp, but many of hers cost more than that:

BE: Strike 10 (Extra: Penetrating; PFs: Attack Specialization 2 [+10 to hit]) = 22pp

AP: Blast 11 = 22pp

AP: Comprehend 4 (Languages) = 8pp

AP: Dimensional Pocket 10 (PF: Precise) = 21pp

AP: ESP 10 (Global + Moon, Visual: PFs: Subtle 2) = 22pp

AP: Illusion 4 (Auditory & Visual; Extra: Action; PFs: Progression 2) = 18pp

AP: Telekinesis 10 (Str 50; PFs: Precise, Subtle) = 22pp

AP: Teleport 10 (Global and to Moon) = 20pp

The fleshing out part is done! And now we await the arrival of the critics! :P

[Jay Sherman] It stinks! [/Jay Sherman]

*ahem*

Actually, the background & such look fine to me. Just two bits of clarification:

* Did Sister Elenore/The White Knight really slay the Red Queen, or not?

* Are you aware that there's a misogynistic racist super-strong pyrokinetic supervillain going by the name White Knight in FC? This could lead to some... interesting misunderstandings for Adele. ;)

Also, for flavor, what do her spells look/feel like? What sort of Blast does she have? What does it look like when she Teleports? And so on.

Oh man, I have such a soft spot for that show!

* Did Sister Elenore/The White Knight really slay the Red Queen, or not?

I figure it's a 'comic book death' - i.e. she's dead until someone wants to use her for something. That being said, maybe I should fix the errors in RQ's build so someone could use her, but I have no idea if anyone wants to do that.

* Are you aware that there's a misogynistic racist super-strong pyrokinetic supervillain going by the name White Knight in FC? This could lead to some... interesting misunderstandings for Adele. ;)

Oh crap, I forgot about him! Maybe I should change it to the White Queen, since we aren't in the Marvel Universe :D

Also, for flavor, what do her spells look/feel like? What sort of Blast does she have? What does it look like when she Teleports? And so on.

Oh, I didn't know we did that sort of thing on the sheets. Sure, I can add that detail; would it go under Description?

Oh crap, I forgot about him! Maybe I should change it to the White Queen, since we aren't in the Marvel Universe :D

I leave it up to you. ;)

Oh, I didn't know we did that sort of thing on the sheets. Sure, I can add that detail; would it go under Description?

"Description: [a more detailed account of what they look like, including what any noticeable powers look/sound/smell like.]" ;)

Looks good!

Now lemme just go over the numbers again:

Abilities: [0+2+2+6+8+4 = 22pp]

Strength: 10 (+0)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 12 (+1)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 18 (+4)

Charisma: 14 (+2)

Adds up.

Combat: [12+12 = 24]

Attack: +6

Grapple: +6

Defense: +6 (+3 flat-footed)

Knockback: -10 (-0 w/o Force Field)

Initiative: +1

Adds up.

Saves: [5+4+4 = 13pp]

Toughness: +11 (Imp 10); +1 w/o Force Field

Fortitude: +6 (+1 Con, +5)

Reflex: +5 (+1 Dex, +4)

Will: +8 (+4 Wis, +4)

Adds up.

Skills: [92r = 23pp]

Bluff 6 (+8)

Computers 1 (+3)

Concentration 8 (+12)

Craft (Artistic) 6 (+8)

Diplomacy 6 (+8)

Gather Information 4 (+6)

Handle Animals 4 (+6)

Intimidate 6 (+8)

Investigate 6 (+8)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 8 (+10)

Knowledge (Art) 1 (+3)

Knowledge (Current Events) 1 (+3)

Knowledge (History) 5 (+7)

Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 5 (+7)

Medicine 2 (+6)

Notice 6 (+10)

Profession (Farmer) 4 (+8)

Ride 4 (+6)

Search 5 (+7)

Sense Motive 4 (+8)

Stealth 4 (+5)

Swim 2 (+2)

I count 98 ranks, not 92.

Feats: [5pp]

Equipment 1

Power Attack

Precise Shot

Ritualist

Skill Mastery (Diplomacy, Gather Information, Investigate, Sense Motive)

Equipment:

Camera, cellphone, flashlight, mini tape recorder, multi-tool

Adds up.

Powers:

Flight 3 (50 mph / 500 feet) [6pp]

Force Field 10 (Extra: Impervious 10; PF: Subtle 1) [21pp]

- Immunity 9 (Life Support, Sustained, Linked w/ Force Field) [9pp]

BE: Blast 10

AP: Comprehend 4 (Languages)

AP: Dimensional Pocket 10

AP: ESP 9 (Global, Visual: PFs: Subtle)

AP: Healing 10

AP: Illusion 4 (Auditory & Visual; Extra: Action; PFs: Progression 2)

AP: Telekinesis 9 (Str 45; PFs: Precise, Subtle)

AP: Teleport 9 (Global)

Super-Senses 1 (Magical Awareness [Mental]) [1pp]

6+21+9+27+1 = 64pp, not 66.

Drawbacks:

Power Loss (Flight, Force Field and Magic when unable to gesture -3)

Adds up.

PP Totals:

Abilities 22 + Skills 23 + Feats 5 + Powers 66 + Combat 24 + Saves 13 + Drawbacks -3 = Total: 150

See above.

• 1 month later...