Character help needed.

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for quite a while. I've finally decided to get involved. So, I come to you all for some assistance on a character idea I have, specifically the character's powers.

Here's the situation:

Young American (PL10) is something of an adrenaline junkie. Before becoming a superhero his alter ego traveled the world experiencing any extreme sport he could find (cliff diving, parachuting, hang gliding, etc). For the most part, he's grown out of the rush and mellowed out a bit, but he still manages a thrill now and then while doing the hero thing. He's not in it for the thrills; he considers himself a hero for all the right reasons. But, there's still a little adrenaline junkie inside him.

What I'm looking for is a way to represent the fact that nothing really scares him. He's in his element in situations where most others would panic. In those situations Young American excels. He becomes more focused, more efficient.

I was thinking something along the lines of Boost-Abilities (Extras: Action-Reaction: ??; Flaws: Personal; AP: Boost-Skills (Extras: Action-Reaction: ??; Flaws: Personal)

Other than this his other powers are devices (protection, blast, and flight).

Thanks for any help...

On a related note: I've looked but can't find any ruling on Boost and PL. Am I to assume Boost is limited to PL?

I haven’t made much experience with a reaction-based boost, save Absorption, but I’m sure you could achieve the same effect with Triggered (Adrenaline Rush). If you’re going for the classic Adrenaline Junkie I’d also recommend: Immunity 2 (Sleep, Starvation and Thirst, Flaws: Limited: Half Effect), Diehard, Endurance x2 (optional), Fearless anod possibly Adrenal Surge 12 (Feats: Slow Fade x2).

Well, as I think about it, I'm not really going for the hard core junkie. He's more the type that just works (extremely) well under pressure. I'd just like him to be better at certain things when the going gets tough (i.e. better chance at succeeding).

I'm beginning to think that Extra Effort and RP would cover most situations. Though I do like the boost idea.

On a related note: I've looked but can't find any ruling on Boost and PL. Am I to assume Boost is limited to PL?

Sorta. Boost can't boost anything beyond PL Caps. So, if the guy is PL 10, and he takes no trade-offs on his attack/damage (meaning at most he could have Str 30/+10), he could have Str 20 and Boost Str 10, or Str 24 and Boost Str 6, or some other combo adding up to the normal max of 30.

Something that popped into my head was Time Control. When things are at their most "out of control" our Adrenaline Junkie sees everything in slow motion.

Unfortunately, Time Control is much more mundane. Time Control is a just a fancy term for Super Speed (Extras: Ranged, Affects Others) and if you took away the extra you’re left with a typical speedster. Your ideas’ closer to the “bullet time†concept from Max Payne and the Matrix franchise, which is a temporary container with enhanced feasts, enhanced reflex saves and possibly mental quickness.

That's what I had in mind alright... Although what popped into my head was the scene from Undercover Brother where being cut off in traffic causes his caddy to do rapid, 360 spins down the street. Our hero doesn't seem too concerned, even having time to flirt with some onlooking lasses.

Sorta. Boost can't boost anything beyond PL Caps. So, if the guy is PL 10, and he takes no trade-offs on his attack/damage (meaning at most he could have Str 30/+10), he could have Str 20 and Boost Str 10, or Str 24 and Boost Str 6, or some other combo adding up to the normal max of 30.

Isn't the most he can have Str 40/+15?

Isn't the most he can have Str 40/+15?

Go back and re-read Archeville's comment.

If he's "PL10 with no tradeoffs on his attack/damage," his Attack and Damage are both capped at +10. That means a STR bonus of no greater than +10. Which means a max STR of 30.

This board's house rules limit tradeoffs to +/-3, so no starting PL10 character here can have a STR greater than 36 (+13).

So this character would basically be a hybrid of the Physical Booster and Wealthy Thrillseeker archetypes? Interesting.

First of all, it sounds like he should have the Fearless feat.

Second, here's what such a setup might look like:

STR 20 (+5)

DEX 20 (+5)

CON 20 (+5)

30PP

Boost 10 (All Abilities [3PP/Rank], Feats: Subtle, Extras: Total Fade, Flaws: Limited [Physical Abilities], Personal)

21PP

or

Boost 10 (All Abilities [3PP/Rank], Feats: Subtle, Extras: Action 2 [Free Action], Total Fade, Flaws: Limited [Physical Abilities], Personal)

41PP

or

Boost 10 (All Abilities [3PP/Rank], Feats: Subtle, Extras: Action 3 [Reaction], Total Fade, Flaws: Limited [Physical Abilities], Personal)

51PP

If you go this route, I'm not sure the Action extra is worth it. You'd be paying 40-50PP for 30PP worth of Abilities, and you'd only have them for 10 combat rounds (1 minute). Without the Total Fade extra, it's even worse, since you lose 1PP per round.

You might want to just give him "normal" Enhanced STR/DEX/CON with the "adrenaline" Descriptor.

For all ability scores except Str and Con, it is.

Since Str and Con contribute to Damage and Toughness, respectively, they follow the rules on Damage and Toughness. Meaning that your limit is your PL, unless you take an attack/damage or defense/toughness trade-off.

oh, I see..

I was worried I made my character wrong.whew!

thanks for clearing that up :)