An Introduction to Freedom

Lady Liberty lowered them to the top of the nearest building with Captain Thunder close behind. "I can take care of her, if there's still work to be done." she said. "I'm not sure who she is, but she's not one of those teleporting monsters."

Captain Thunder looked unsure. "I'll be on the comm if you need me." With a clap of thunder, he jetted off into the dark sky.

Lady Liberty gently lowered Celestia to the rooftop and put her hands on the girl's back. In a flash of brilliant light, the burns dissipated and the smoldering flesh was restored whole. "Better?" she asked pulling the girl into a sitting position. "Now, let's start again. My name is Lady Liberty of the Freedom League. Who are you?"

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agnes.jpg

Agnes could sit up by herself now. She rested her head in her hands while she spoke. "Agnes. My name is Agnes." As she spoke her true name, she relaxed her mind. A soft glow covered her briefly, and when it passed, she was herself again, dressed in her tattered sweatshirt and jeans again. The sword returned to its place beneath the church. Agnes rubbed her knees and didn't look up. "It's nice to have my pants back."

agnes.jpg

Agnes could sit up by herself now. She rested her head in her hands while she spoke. "Agnes. My name is Agnes." As she spoke her true name, she relaxed her mind. A soft glow covered her briefly, and when it passed, she was herself again, dressed in her tattered sweatshirt and jeans again. The sword returned to its place beneath the church. Agnes rubbed her knees and didn't look up. "It's nice to have my pants back."

agnes.jpg

Lady Liberty laughed. "I'm glad you have your pants back too. With that sword gone, I feel a lot safer." She rubbed her shoulder where the sword had blasted her. "You pack quite a punch."

Lady Liberty stood and helped Agnes to her feet as well. "Where are you from?" she asked. "And what brings you to Freedom City? You look a little young to be saving the day all on your own."

Lady Liberty laughed. "I'm glad you have your pants back too. With that sword gone, I feel a lot safer." She rubbed her shoulder where the sword had blasted her. "You pack quite a punch."

Lady Liberty stood and helped Agnes to her feet as well. "Where are you from?" she asked. "And what brings you to Freedom City? You look a little young to be saving the day all on your own."

agnes.jpg

"I am from Freedom City," Agnes said, standing to her feet. "I'm just new to playing hero. The costume and all that has never happened before. It's kinda new." Agnes paused. She looked as if what she was thinking troubled her. "Mr. Summers said it might happen like that." The girl lowered her eyes. "I don't know . . . anyway, sorry about hitting you. I just thought . . . well, you know."

agnes.jpg

"I am from Freedom City," Agnes said, standing to her feet. "I'm just new to playing hero. The costume and all that has never happened before. It's kinda new." Agnes paused. She looked as if what she was thinking troubled her. "Mr. Summers said it might happen like that." The girl lowered her eyes. "I don't know . . . anyway, sorry about hitting you. I just thought . . . well, you know."

agnes.jpg

"Summers? Oh wait, I remember you. You're the orphan who lives at St. Sebastian's" Lady Liberty's expression quickly changed as she realized just how insensitive the word "orphan" might be. "Sorry. We have a dossier on you at Freedom Hall. I looked at it a few years ago, but there was no reason to follow-up. You must have been keeping yourself out of trouble."

"Summers? Oh wait, I remember you. You're the orphan who lives at St. Sebastian's" Lady Liberty's expression quickly changed as she realized just how insensitive the word "orphan" might be. "Sorry. We have a dossier on you at Freedom Hall. I looked at it a few years ago, but there was no reason to follow-up. You must have been keeping yourself out of trouble."

agnes.jpg

"It's okay," Agnes chimed in, trying to sound upbeat. "I know I'm an orphan. And yeah, I try to stay out of trouble." There was a long pause. "I really need to get, um, back." She waked over to the edge of the roof and looked down. "You think you could . . .?" She pointed down to the street.

agnes.jpg

"It's okay," Agnes chimed in, trying to sound upbeat. "I know I'm an orphan. And yeah, I try to stay out of trouble." There was a long pause. "I really need to get, um, back." She waked over to the edge of the roof and looked down. "You think you could . . .?" She pointed down to the street.

agnes.jpg

"Hang on." Lady Liberty tapped the comm-badge on her wrist. "What's the word, Capt? Are we in the clear?"

After a moment, Captain Thunder's powerful, authoritative voice responded. "Yeah, all clear. The danger seems to have passed for now."

"Roger that. I'll meet you back at Freedom Hall in a bit. I've got one loose end to tie up first." Lady Liberty tapped the comm-badge again. "I'll fly you wherever you need to go. And while we fly, I want you to tell me everything that happened tonight. The details could be pretty important."

Lady Liberty walked over to where Agnes was standing and put one arm around her shoulders. "Ready?"

"Hang on." Lady Liberty tapped the comm-badge on her wrist. "What's the word, Capt? Are we in the clear?"

After a moment, Captain Thunder's powerful, authoritative voice responded. "Yeah, all clear. The danger seems to have passed for now."

"Roger that. I'll meet you back at Freedom Hall in a bit. I've got one loose end to tie up first." Lady Liberty tapped the comm-badge again. "I'll fly you wherever you need to go. And while we fly, I want you to tell me everything that happened tonight. The details could be pretty important."

Lady Liberty walked over to where Agnes was standing and put one arm around her shoulders. "Ready?"

agnes.jpg

"Ready," Agnes said, but she looked a bit uncomfortable. Whether it was uncertainty about this super-powered stranger, being flown around, or something else Lady Liberty couldn't tell. Agnes awkwardly put her arms around Lady Liberty's neck, and the impossibly strong heroine effortlessly lifted them off the ground. "St. Sebastian's please," Agnes said, closing her eyes. "People are waiting for me there."

While they flew, Agnes found it difficult to talk, but did her best to explain in detail the events of the night.

agnes.jpg

"Ready," Agnes said, but she looked a bit uncomfortable. Whether it was uncertainty about this super-powered stranger, being flown around, or something else Lady Liberty couldn't tell. Agnes awkwardly put her arms around Lady Liberty's neck, and the impossibly strong heroine effortlessly lifted them off the ground. "St. Sebastian's please," Agnes said, closing her eyes. "People are waiting for me there."

While they flew, Agnes found it difficult to talk, but did her best to explain in detail the events of the night.

agnes.jpg

Lady Liberty quickly jetted them both over to St. Sebastian's. Hearing Agnes' account of events was helpful, so she listened without comment the whole way until they touched down gently on the street out front of the church.

"Good work tonight, kid. I going to have to update your file. You did a good job tonight. Definitely a hero in training. Once we get this mess cleaned up, I'll drop by the church and check on you in a few days. Maybe you can come visit Freedom Hall sometime too . . . go a few rounds in the Wreck Room. Would you be interested in that?"

Lady Liberty quickly jetted them both over to St. Sebastian's. Hearing Agnes' account of events was helpful, so she listened without comment the whole way until they touched down gently on the street out front of the church.

"Good work tonight, kid. I going to have to update your file. You did a good job tonight. Definitely a hero in training. Once we get this mess cleaned up, I'll drop by the church and check on you in a few days. Maybe you can come visit Freedom Hall sometime too . . . go a few rounds in the Wreck Room. Would you be interested in that?"