HIT Science & Engineering Lecture Series, v.2

John slipped out of the side door. He's going to start trouble. He'll be asked to leave, and he'll not do it. He'll fight. That's what he is. A violent adrenaline junkie. He went to go to his bike, and to grab his costume and bow. I can't let him escape and hurt more people. I didn't think to look into him enough, I didn't know what the man was. I didn't know he was such a psycho, and I didn't do enough to stop that. It ends now.

"Time for a rematch, and this time... he'll stay in jail."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's... a bit impressive. He fits pretty much every definition of 'Psychopath'.

We'll say: glib charm, grandiose sense of self-worth, lack of remorse or guilt, callous lack of empathy, obsessive need for stimulation, poor behavior control, impulsive, irresponsible... and judging by the company he keeps, he's probably sexually promiscuous.

And yet you're not rooting for him?

Please. Even we have our standards. His methods we have no problem with, save for their crudeness, it's his end results -- or, rather, lack of any outside of his next adrenaline rush -- which we find abhorrent.

"I appreciate your honesty, Kapitan. As for how I go hold of dese images... vell, like I said, I keep in touch mit a lot of people, in many, many fields."

"Now, to your qvestion: do I dink I am smarter dan Metahumans, de ones who posses true Meta-intelligence? Und how do I feel about dem, do I resent them for being born mit vhat I haff had to vork for? Interesting qvestions. For de first, it depends of course on de Metahuman in qvestion."

Archeville manipulated the controls on his E.S. once more, and a trio of holographic heads appeared, then flickered out before they resolved clearly. The Doktor cursed a bit, continued trying to adjust the device, but now nothing at all came out. "Vell, dat's embarrassing -- seems I drained more charge dan I anticipated vhen I vas vorking earlier dis morning. Vell, no matter," he continued as he clipped it onto the side of his Gravimetric Belt, under his lab coat, "it should not take long to recharge, den I can resume de visual portion of dis exchange."

"Now, vhere was- ah, yes. I vas going to show you images of three Metahumans I haff comes across in mein adventures. However, I vill instead discuss von meta-genius in particular, von whom everyvone in Freedom City should be at least passingly familiar mit: Doc Otaku. I do admit dat he is smarter dan me, und better in certain technological fields, particularly robotics."

"Dere is also Professor Psion, whose self-experiments unlocked latent mental abilities vhich he believes lie mitin all of us, und increased his already-impressive intellect. Dere is also de Cosmic Mind, whose experiments left her a disembodied incorporeal mind mit great mental power, including an enhanced intellect."

Unknown to Knievel -- unknown to anyone else in the room, and largely unknowable to anyone else on the planet -- Archeville had been sending Dark Star a message, a message he'd entered into his Electromagnetic Screwdriver (while pretending it was running out of power) and, by interfacing with the gravity manipuating components of his Gravimetric Belt, transmitting as a low-level gravitational fluxes that Dark Star's unique senses could perceive. It was a short, concise message -- Archeville only had so much time to type -- but it was fairly clear: At signal, immobilize. Do not damage.

He stops pacing, and looks at Knievel. "All t'ree of dese individuals are Metahumans, und deir skills either match or exceed mein own, at least in certain fields. Do I resent dem for it, for being born mit or taking shortcut to gain more, for being such dat dings come so very naturally to dem? Certainly not. Mein ego is not so delicate dat I need constant validation of mein own self-vorth, nor do I feel threatened or intimidated by others who are better dan me. I do not feel de need to be 'King of de Hill,' nor am I so childish dat de only vay I can make meinself feel bigger is to knock down everyvon around me. Vhat you can do, und how you do it, are not nearly as important as how you use your abilities, as vhat you do mit your life. I do hold some resentment torvards dose t'ree, but it is solely because of de misguided uses to vhich dey put deir great minds, not de fact dat deir great minds are the result of less study und vork dan mein."

Archeville moved back to the podium, and leaned its side. "Und now my qvestion for you. You said you vere a cripple vonce. Howso? Vere you born crippled, or vas it due to some accident, and accident perhaps caused by your reckless lifestyle? Und how do you come to stand here now, to be so threatening to so many dese past few months?"

You know, I was dying for somebody to ask me that question. The captain said, rising from his seat Time is almost up. time to cut and run. but maybe i have time for one more. Oh well. Still have to answer this one first.

No, Doc, I was not born that way. He began pacing back and forth in front of the stage. It was not even a result of my reckless life style. It was in fact what started my thrill seeking. I'll give you the short story, because while I do owe you a detailed response, I have somewhere to be. The Captain quickly looked down at his left forearm. Strangely, there was no watch there.

When I was a kid, my parents took me skydiving. My chute did not open properly. I hit the ground, hard. Miraculously I survived. Like Mrs. Whatsherface in the hospital now, my first thought upon waking was that I was lucky to be alive. My second thought was how much fun falling through the air was. It was a rush, and I loved it. And what's more, I wanted to do it again.

The Captain stopped walking and looked straight at the Doctor. Imagine my horror, Doc, when I realized i could not walk. Imagine the crushing depression that I felt after I found out that I would never be able to do the things that I wanted again. Spreading his arms wide and turning in a circle, he said in a booming voice, Imagine the sheer determination it took to recuperate, when the doctors told me that medical science could do nothing for me! He turned to face the Doctor again. No one was there to help me, Doc. I got where I am all by myself. There were not even any of those lousy Metas around to heal me up. I got better, and I did it myself. Sheer determination, force of will, and hard work. That is how I have come to be able to walk again.

One last question, Doc, then I get out of here. And if you answer this question, I promise I won't cause any trouble. I said I would not at the beginning, and I have been true to that word so far. So too will I keep my word now.

This is what you came here for. Don't screw up. Facing the Doctor he looked him right in the eyes. What exactly do you know about Dr. Metropolis's methods used to repair this fine city of ours? How exactly does he do it?

The Captain knew that staying here this long was a risk. Coming here in the first place was a risk. He was in the belly of the beast. He needed to get out, but he wanted this info...He readied himself to make a quick escape at a moment's notice.

Does... does he really think we're going to let him just walk out?

Apparently he does, yes.

Well, we have a plan. Part of a plan, anyway.

Pft, your plan's far too lenient. He wants an adrenaline rush, I say we overload his adrenal glands and put him into permanent overdrive! He'll love it... 'till his heart gives out!

... we'll call that 'Plan Z'. For now, though, we should try and stall a bit more, in case some vigilantes managed to hear that guards' call.

"Dat's a bit unfair, Kapitan," Archeville said, extending his lower lip in the barest hint of a pout. "If ve do it dat vay, I vill haff answered t'ree of your qvestions, but you vould haff answered only two of mine. De arrangement vas for an equal exchange."

The Captain grumbled You cannot possibly expect me to stay here any longer, Doc. I am running low on time. The captain started tapping at his Adrenaline cannon with his left hand. Likely he was making sure it was in working order. However, if you can offer me your word that no harm will come to me should i stay to answer your next question, I will be more than happy to do so. We exchange information, I walk out. Sound fair? In fact, I will even throw a little something extra into the mix for you. Keep up this bargain, and I promise that I will not blow anything up, or even smash anything for one whole week, starting tonight. Don't ask me what I am going to do if you do not. You will not like the answer.

The Captain leveled his gaze with The Doctor. He fixed him with a stare that screamed, "Do not test me on my honor!" and said, What do you say, Doc, do we have a deal? You yourself have the ability to prevent a few injuries, and maybe even deaths. Take it or leave it. The decision is yours.

The Captain folded his arms.

Dark Star paused as he felt/received the message from the Doctor's devices. Fascinating toys. Too bad I can't respond. Ah well. I still know what to do. He didn't know what powers this guy possessed, but given his statements, it seemed the Captain was just a normal though an incredibly fit one. Possibly devices but that wasn't Dark Star's field. He shrugged to himself and got ready to immobilize the man.

Arrowhawk stood in the doorway, arms folded over his chest. "Don't insult his intelligence, 'Captain'," he said in a sarcastic tone. "He knows if you walk out of here free, even more people will be hurt. You know it, I know it, heck, the senile old cleaning lady knows it. Stand down."

You again! The Captain said, whirling in place to face Arrowhawk. Didn't I clean your clock hard enough last week? What the hell are you doing here? The Captain turned back to The Doctor. This is a private conversation. I am here under the protection of the honorable agreement I have with Dr. Archeville. Butt out!

Hunh, hadn't expected a Cape to arrive so soon. Perhaps he was already in the audience?

More importantly, these two have faced each other before -- how thrilling!

Still, could be problematic: we've no idea who he is or what he does, though the bow & quiver do give some indication.

Best way to find out would be to get 'em to fight!

By now most everyone else had left the theater. A few students remained, either hanging by the doors or clinging close to the walls near the doors or in corners.

"Friend of yours?," Archeville asked, though it was hard to tell if he was talking to Knievel or the newcomer. "Ach, no matter. Very vell, I agree to de terms you haff set out. Your qvestion: what do I know of how Doktor Metropolis repairs de city? Vell," he paused and sighed, "I regret to say dat I do not know, as de few studies und tests I haff done haff proved inconclusive. De structures he repairs show no evidence of lingering transnormal energies, no indication dat dey vere repaired by any means other dan routine materials und labor. I do haff several hypotheses, of course. He may be some sort of extradimensional being who came over from de Terminus, one mit powers similar to a Geokinetic Metahmuan. Perhaps de form ve see is its natural form, und its arrival here vas accompanied some form of amnesia. Or perhaps it is some manner of gestalt psychic entity, an energy being formed by the co-mingling of de mental energies of all dose who died during de invasion, und coupled mit de veird energies of de Terminus itself. Or perhaps Metropolis really is von single Metahuman, von who lost everything dear to him during de Invasion, und dis new persona emerged to protect de previous von from its traumas... dough, as I said, mein tests have yet to find evidence of any Metahuman activity, so dat hypothesis is fairly veak."

"Because mein answer vas so... unsatisfyig," he says, stepping away from the podium and taking center stage, looking right at Knievel, "I vill ask you an easy, simple qvestion. Do you haff any food- or drug-related allergies?"

Oh that has to be some kind of trap. The Captain thought, dumbfounded. I...Wait, what?...I...No, not that I know of. I am not too fond of calamari, but I can't recall being actually allergic to anything. The Captain stood and scratched his head. As far as drugs go, I also do not recall being allergic to any drugs in particular either. I as well apologize for not being more helpful.

The Captain stood in the center of the room with his hands on his hips. Alright, here goes nothing. The Captain looked up Dr Archeville, and opened his mouth to speak. Well, Doc, its been real. But now I gotta jet. And don't worry. I will keep up my end of the bargain. You will not be hearing from me for one week. The Captain held up his index finger on his left hand to emphasize his point. Then he turned on his heel and began the walk towards the back of the room. Hope to see you again sometime, Doc. He said, giving a wave over his shoulder.

As he reached the end of the room, he looked at Arrowhawk and said, Step aside, Fletch. I'm outa' here.

We can't let him just walk out of here!

I intend nothing of the sort.

"Oh, Kapitan," Archeville called out as Knievel spoke to the man at the door, "vould you be interested in knowing vhy I asked you dat qvestion, asked about any allergies you may haff?"

As he spoke, one hand went to the E.S clipped to his belt. He tapped a button, causing the mechanisms of his Gravimetric Belt to send out a faint gravitic pulse. To anyone with sufficiently advanced gravitic senses, the pulse was the equivalent of screaming NOW!.

"Dere are two reasons, actually. Von, in case ve do meet again in such convivial circumstances, I may vant to buy you a drink or a meal. Und I vould not vant to inadvertently poison you. Death by anaphylactic shock is not de vay de Kapitan vould want to go, hrm?"

Dark Star had been waiting for the Doctor's gravitic words. He acted without pause as soon as he 'heard' them. He dropped a huge gravity field over the entire area just to make sure,increasing the gravity by several orders of magnitude. While he could have pinned everyone, he made sure that only the Captain was affected. He floated down towards the middle of the room where the Captain and the other had started their engagement, though his sudden increase of the gravity affecting the Captain might have affected Arrowhawk's attack. I'll have to apologize later.

"Please do not struggle. I do not want anyone to be hurt here. But you are accountable for your actions and a court of law will decide what your recompense should be."

A lot of things happened really quickly right then. Before The Captain could even finish processing what the Doctor was saying, something laid an extremely heavy weight on his shoulders. What the...? Almost simultaneously, Arrowhawk tried to grab him. The Captain was distracted because of the weight on his chest, and Arrowhawk managed to lay his hands on The Captain. Summoning all of his manly strength, The Captain easily threw off the attempt to hold him down. Hands off, Fletch!

Falling to his knees, The Captain turned for a quick look at the rest of the room. In an Instant he saw the mysterious figure hovering down towards the floor, and he saw the Doctor still standing behind the podium. Likely calling the shots I presume. He thought. You are gonna regret breaking your word, Doc! With a roar he screwed up all the strength he could muster, and lunged for Arrowhawk. His hands failing to make any purchase, he scrabbled for one last attempt. If I am going down, you're coming with me!

The Captain got his hands on Arrowhawk, but with the gravity weighing him down, he could not keep his grip, and Arrowhawk pulled away. The Captain roared in frustration. What's wrong, Fletch? I thought you wanted a hug! The Captain was struggling to keep his chest off the ground at this point.

My, that seems to have gone off rather well.

Yeah, now we crush him! Crush him to goo!!!

We'll file that under Plan Z, too.

Aww...

"My vord? Kapitan, I did not break my vord," Archeville said in a firm voice as he slowly stepped down off the dais and approached Knievel and Arrowhawk. "Firstly, you stipulated dat no harm come to you. Dis I haff kept -- you are being immobilized, not damaged, und you shall be kept here until de authorities come und arrest you. Secondly, de terms you stipulated implicitly applied only to me und to anyvon I vas avare of in de area -- I haff no control over vhat dis newcomer does. You also said I haff de ability to prevent injuries und deaths... und I am exercising dat ability now."

Archeville was now about ten feet from Knievel, arms crossed and with a very smug smile on his face. "You didn't think it vas going to be dat easy, did you?"

Dark Star landed and stood in the main isle a few feet away from the struggling Captain. "Please stop resisting. You cannot escape. I do not wish you to injury yourself." He kept the gravity field going, trying to keep the man immobile. But the Captain was continuing to struggle valiently, if in vein.

Captain Knievel saw the kick coming, but because of the gravity he could do nothing about it. When Arrowhawk's foot connected, The Captain heard something crack. Wincing from the pain and seeing stars The Captain was thinking, Damn, Fletch, that one really hurt! But all he could muster was a grunt. Looking up at The Doctor his eyes seemed to say, See what I mean? He gave the Doctor a huge smile that still had the audacity to *SHEEN* in the lights of the conference room just to show he was not yet down-and-out.

Alright, now we need to hold him here until-

We can cut out deli-thin slices of his brain!

... what?

I'm hungry!

... ew!

What? No, I'm not saying we eat him -- his brain's probably riddled with diseases anyway. I just wanna get this over with so we can hit the buffet outside. Plus, lobotomizing him would do the city a favor.

... again, that'll go to Plan Z, too.

"Now, now," Archeville said, "I do not dink dat is necessary, Herr... er...." He studied the newcomer for a moment, noting the red-lensed domino mask, black hooded cloak giving an avian silhouette, and bow & quiver tucked under his cloak. "... Nighthawk?"

"You, constable!," he suddenly called out to the one security guard -- a rather doughy man with a thick moustache -- still lingering about, "you haff called de police, ja? How long until dey get here?"

"I did, er, sir," he replied, "they should be here, well, any minute now."

"Good. Be sure dey've notified STAR Squad as vell, I do not dink a regular police cruiser vill do. Den, make sure de rest of de students here leave, und get dem back from de entrance -- I do not vant to take any chances of dem getting hurt."

"Yessir," he replied, rounding up the few stragglers.

He turned back to Arrowhawk, "sorry for interrupting. Now, you vouldn't happen to be von of dose archer types who uses an assortment of trick arrows, vould you? Say, some manner of soporific gas arrow?"

Dark Star frowned as he maintained the gravity field and raised one hand to the masked archer after the brutal kick. "Enough. Whether or not the Doctor's agreement affects anyone else is irrelevant. What is relevant is that he is immobilized. We are heroes. We do not abuse defenseless people, regardless of their crimes. Do not do that again or you will find yourself pinned to the floor with him." He turned back to the Doctor and nodded. "Very good. I can hold this indefinitely really. I can wait for the STAR forces to arrive and take him into custody."

"Arrowhawk, Doktor. I spent two decades in Britain, so I expect to be an unknown. And I do happen to have a tranquiliser arrow in here somewhere," he said, pulling out an arrow with what appeared to be a small hypodermic needle set into the tip. He pulled back the bow and fired the tip into an unarmoured section of Knieval's upper arm. Upon hearing Dark Star's words, a frown appeared on his face but the veteran hero said nothing.

Being held down by the gravity gave Captain Knievel no chance to avoid the traq arrow. He felt the chemicals enter his body and grunted as he tried to resist it.

Everthing was starting to go dark. The Captain could feel the poisons flowing through his system. Damn that Fletch! I can't let him take me out like this! The Captain mustered up his strength for another try at getting up. The Captain shook his head and suddenly the tranq had no more effect on him. Time to give this another go.

The Captain managed to get himself up off the floor again. He made another desperate lunge towards Arrowhawk. Come on, Fletch! You ruined my day out! I gotta thank you for that! But the gravity weighed him down long enough for Arrowhawk to get out of the way. Things seemed to be going pretty badly. I can't let them get me! I can't give up!

Why did he shoot the arrow? Couldn't he just... stab him with it?

It's his... idiom.

"I believe ve vill be needing another von of dose, Herr Arrowhawk," Archeville said, walking around Knievel, "und perhaps some sort of tangle-arrow to bind his hands."

"Herr Dark Star, dank you for your help in dis."

Dark Star nodded. "Glad to be of help." He looked over at the Captain. "Please st struggling. You're likely to strain yourself. The things the Doctor showed you doing some bad things, but I still do not wish you harm. Just remain calm and you'll be relocated soon enough." He looked back over at the Doctor while waiting for Arrowhawk to drug the man again. "So who is he? Should I accompany the STAR team to the detention facility?"