Goliath Beetle PL 8 Tier 2 NPC

Goliath Beetle - quotemyname - PL 8 Villain

Players Name: quotemyname

Power Level: 8(120 PP)

Trade-Offs: -3 attack +3 DC mod, -3 defense +3 toughness

PP Unspent: 0

Characters Name: The Goliath Beetle (Wearing The Beetle Suit)

Alternate Identity: Jim Brown

Height: 6’2

Weight: 250lbs.

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Brown

Appearance/Description: Jim Brown has not taken off the Beetle Suit since he put it on for the first time, or rather since it crawled onto him. The Beetle suit is a power suit derived from alien technology. However it is not fully functional on its own. It must have large living organism to draw power from, however, it serves the purpose of protecting the user while they wear it. The Beetle suit is made of large black-metallic plates that shift into position around the user to provide additional protection where needed whenever significant force contacts the user.

Background/History: Jim Brown was a rugby player, and a pretty big guy. He was in the middle of an intramural game at his college when all of a sudden a small meteorite crashed right into the middle of his scrum. People were thrown left and right. Jim was shielded from most of the blast, and because of the other bodies that got in the way and because of his size, Jim survived. Soon after the impact, the Beetle suit climbed out of the wreckage. Seizing the barely living Jim, the suit left the crash site until Jim was able to recover all the while inside the suit. While Jim was unconscious, the suit has been whispering things in Jim’s ear. It has been telling him how he cannot take the suit off, he has been under the suggestion of the suit for months now. And now that Jim is conscious again, the Beetle can get back to work on what it came to do; hunting down another errant alien power suit. The newer model which had gone Haywire – The Reaver!

In the beetle suit:

Height 6'6''

Weight 300lbs

Stats: 14PP

Str: 14/30(+2/+10)

Dex: 12(+1)

Con: 14(+2)

Int: 10(+0)

Wis: 10(+0)

Cha: 14(+2)

Combat: 12PP

Attack: +5 (5 base)

Grapple: +14

Defense: +5 (4 dodge focus, +0 flat-footed)

Knockback: +9

Initiative: +1

Saves: 0PP

Toughness: +10 (2 con 8 impervious protection)

Fortitude: +10 (2 con +8 Enhanced Fort)

Reflex: +1 (1 dex)

Will: +10 (+0 wis +10 Enhanced Will)

Skills: 36r = 9PP

Intimidate 12 ranks (+14)

Notice 8 ranks (+8)

Sense Motive 8 ranks (+8)

Knowlege (pop culture) 8 ranks (+8)

Feats: 9PP

All out attack

Benefit 1: popular

Dodge Focus 4

Power Attack

Startle

Takedown Attack

Powers: 80PP

(Active)Container 16 (The Beetle) [80pp]

Enhanced Strength 16 [16pp]

Enhanced Fortitude 8 [8pp]

Enhanced Will 10 [10pp]

Protection Extras Impervious 8 [16pp]

Speed 5 [5pp]

Leaping 5 [5pp]

Super-Strength PF counter punch 5 [11pp]

Immunity: Life support [9pp]

Drawbacks: Normal identity - full round - very common [-4pp]

Complications: Controlled by the AI of his powersuit

DC Block:

Unarmed +5 atk Toughness DC 25 (bruise)

Totals: Attributes 14PP + Combat 12PP + Saves 0PP + Skills 9PP + Feats 9PP + Powers 80PP - Drawbacks 4PP = 120PP

technically it CAN be removed by Jim, only he has been slightly brainwashed to think he is stuck in it BY the suit. and yes it can be removed by others if jim is unconcious. i.e. hard to lose.

and just a side note, the suit is called "the Beetle" but when jim is wearing it he calls himself "The Goliath Beetle"

okay well it IS going to happen. as soon as the reaver gets around to it :P and he would take it off if he knew any better. the main reason its a device is for story purposes. i COULD make it as a standard power thing rather than a device (for the discount) but its just easier this way to explain things. otherwise let me know if we can chat about this.

That works much better, yes, though there is still a problem....

Height: 6’5’’

In the beetle suit:

Height 7'2''

Weight 400lbs

With those differences, shouldn't the Suit grant a rank or two in Growth?

Adds up.

Combat: 8PP

Attack: +4 (4 base)

Defense: +4 (4 dodge focus)

Adds up, though why does he have such a good broad level of attack (base Attack of +4) but a non-existent base Defense?

Saves: 18PP

Fortitude: +10 (8 base 2 con)

Will: +10 (10 base)

Adds up, but how/why does he have such a naturally strong Will?

Skills: 28r = 7PP

Intimidate +10(2 cha 8 ranks)

Notice +8 (8 ranks)

Sense Motive +8 (8 ranks)

Knowlege (sports) +4 (4 ranks)

Adds up. Knowledge (sports) would be Knowledge (popular culture).

Feats: 10PP

Dodge Focus 4

All out attack

Power Attack

Takedown Attack 2

Startle

Adds up; please alphabetize these. What Benefit would "Popular" have? Why not just take ranks in Diplomacy, or the Connected feat?

Powers: 48PP

(Active)Container 12 (The Beetle) Flaws: (Move action) [48pp]

This is the problem. I know UP says you can apply the Action flaw to reduce the cost of a Container (i.e., changing an active Container's action from free to move, a -1 modifier, changes the structure's cost from 5 pp/rank to 4pp/rank, but the Container still grants 5pp/ranks in effects).

But for Containers/Alternate Forms, that's not really a full Flaw, that's more a Drawback. Why? Because the "Flaw" would only ever come into effect when you first activate the Container, which for most characters would be right before or right at the beginning of a combat, and so during the combat the Flaw won't ever come up. The one exception is....

A secondary concern: an active Container has a Duration of Sustained, so if he's stunned or knocked unconscious, his Container shuts off and he's Jim Brown again.

Have you considered the Normal Identity drawback?

made him smaller and lighter to fix the growth thingy

base attack/def:

a rugby player just loves to hit people thus the high base attack. however he has to avoid being hit as much as possible. because as soon as someone lays their hands on you, the next thing you know you get tackled.

saves:

i am actually going to move that stuff into the container. that will reflect the fact that the suit protects the users mind and body.

Edited skills

feats have been alphabetized. i was thinking that the popular benefit might add a slight bonus to interaction skills in certain circles like the college that he attends or something. how does that sound?

about the 'problem' with the container and the flaw for it:

are you saying you're just not going to allow this sort of thing on the boards or what? is there a way i can still do this or something. i understand what you're saying i'm just not sure what i am supposed to do to fix this or what exactly needs fixing. like you said, UP says you can do this. (it was actually geez3r's idea. blame him :P)

:/ this is at best problematic. because the way i built him there is no way i can afford the 5for5 container. it would cost 16 points more than it does. if i shave three more points from it, it would cost 15 points more than it does. even with normal identity now, i only have 6 points to spend. if i tack on standard action drawback, then i am still short 8pp on the character and i don't see a way to fix this.

my problem is with the fact that ultimate power clearly states you can apply move action as a flaw and that the doc does not want me to do this. (unless i missed something in the house rules for the boards about this.... if i did then ill find a way to deal :P )

my problem is with the fact that ultimate power clearly states you can apply move action as a flaw and that the doc does not want me to do this. (unless i missed something in the house rules for the boards about this.... if i did then ill find a way to deal :P )

It's something that should be a House Rule; it was implemented on Kavos' character, Ember Paw.

Look at it this way: if you've got a character who has all his powers in an Alternate Form/Container, then that's not very different from a character who has all his powers outside of any sort of Container and taking the Normal Identity drawback. Increasing the time needed to activate the Container isn't that big a hindrance, since it's not going to happen very often (at the beginning of combat, maybe, and whenever stunned unless you make a Concentration check to keep it up), so the cost break should be comparable to that of the Normal ID Drawback

:/ this is at best problematic. because the way i built him there is no way i can afford the 5for5 container. it would cost 16 points more than it does. if i shave three more points from it, it would cost 15 points more than it does. even with normal identity now, i only have 6 points to spend. if i tack on standard action drawback, then i am still short 8pp on the character and i don't see a way to fix this.

Submit him as a PL 8 NPC in terms of points, who only meets PL 7 caps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

BUMP!

I am trying to be persistent on this character simply because I have an Idea for a solo thread with Reaver and this character. Can't necessarily do that if he is not approved. It's been a while since anybody has looked at this character, and I know there is a bunch of stuff that still needs to be done, but I am just making sure that you haven't forgotten about this. Thanks! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. Let's try to get this out of the way.

First problem is formatting. We have a set style for character submission for a reason. When you change that system, it slows down the process. Please move the history and fluff to the top of the sheet. List skills as Skill rank (+total).

Goliath Beetle - quotemyname - PL 8 Villain

Players Name: quotemyname

Power Level: 8(120 PP)

Trade-Offs: -3 attack +3 DC mod, -3 defense +3 toughness

PP Unspent: 0

Which is it? PL 8 as listed here, or PL 7 as listed in the title?

Height: 6’2

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Brown

In the beetle suit:

Height 6'6''

Weight 300lbs

Adds up.

Combat: 10PP

Attack: +5 (5 base)

Defense: +4 (4 dodge focus)

Okay first off, I'm not allowing full dodge focus on Defense without some points spent on base Def. At least one point of real Def is goign to be needed.

Saves: 0PP

Fortitude: +10 (2 con +8 Enhanced Fort)

Will: +10 (+0 wis +10 Enhanced Will)

Sure you want all of his saves to based off of his powers only?

Skills: 36r = 9PP

Intimidate +14(2 cha 12 ranks)

Notice +8 (8 ranks)

Sense Motive +8 (8 ranks)

Knowlege (pop culture) +8 (8 ranks)

Adds up but he is pretty limited in skills. Why is he so Intimidating?

Feats: 11PP

All out attack

Dodge Focus 5

Power Attack

Startle

Takedown Attack 2

Here you wrote Dodge focus 5 but up in the combat area, you have it listed as 4. Still, I want at least one point of real DEF so this is going to need to be fixed. You do have 11 feats listed though.

What do you get out of the popular Benefit? Why is he popular?

Powers: 64PP

(Active)Container 16 (The Beetle) [80pp]

So what is the Beetle? Is it some mystical force of power or some kind of device? Also the cost of this power is 80pp not 64 as listed above.

Enhanced Strength 16 [16pp]

Enhanced Fortitude 8 [8pp]

Enhanced Will 10 [10pp]

Protection Extras Impervious 8 [16pp]

Speed 5 [5pp]

Leaping 5 [5pp]

Super-Strength PF counter punch 5 [11pp]

Immunity: Life support [9pp]

Why does the container give life support? How does it give life support? Is it a suit or some other kind of item? It adds up though.

Drawbacks: Normal identity - full round - very common [-4pp]

okay.

Complications: Controlled by the AI of his powersuit

So the beetle is a powersuit after all. And how does this complicate him? Would the powersuit be on all the time?

DC Block:

Unarmed +5 atk Toughness DC 25 (bruise)

Okay here.

Totals: Attributes 14PP + Combat 10PP + Saves 0PP + Skills 7PP + Feats 11PP + Powers 80PP - Drawbacks 4PP = 118PP (2 unspent)

Skills should be listed at 9pp for a total of 120pp.

Appearance/Description: Jim Brown has not taken off the Beetle Suit since he put it on for the first time, or rather since it crawled onto him. The Beetle suit is a power suit derived from alien technology. However it is not fully functional on its own. It must have large living organism to draw power from, however, it serves the purpose of protecting the user while they wear it. The Beetle suit is made of large black-metallic plates that shift into position around the user to provide additional protection where needed whenever significant force contacts the user.

Well that answers a lot of the questions as listed above. Would have helped if this was at the top of the sheet. Please reformat so that it follows the character sheet better.

Background/History: Jim Brown was a rugby player, and a pretty big guy. He was in the middle of an intramural game at his college when all of a sudden a small meteorite crashed right into the middle of his scrum. People were thrown left and right. Jim was shielded from most of the blast, and because of the other bodies that got in the way and because of his size, Jim survived. Soon after the impact, the Beetle suit climbed out of the wreckage. Seizing the barely living Jim, the suit left the crash site until Jim was able to recover all the while inside the suit. While Jim was unconscious, the suit has been whispering things in Jim’s ear. It has been telling him how he cannot take the suit off, he has been under the suggestion of the suit for months now. And now that Jim is conscious again, the Beetle can get back to work on what it came to do; hunting down another errant alien power suit. The newer model which had gone Haywire – The Reaver!

This helps out more. Move this section to the top as well.

please note that edits have been made :)

First problem is formatting. We have a set style for character submission for a reason. When you change that system, it slows down the process. Please move the history and fluff to the top of the sheet. List skills as Skill rank (+total).

My bad, the template I have saved lists background and description at the bottom of the sheet. (as per captain knievel)

Which is it? PL 8 as listed here, or PL 7 as listed in the title?

8. I fixed the title.

Okay first off, I'm not allowing full dodge focus on Defense without some points spent on base Def. At least one point of real Def is goign to be needed.

slapped a point on there. this changes the points spent on combat to 12.

Sure you want all of his saves to based off of his powers only?

Actually, yes. He follows the same theme as the reaver, and they both pursue this avenue. albeit, the reaver less so.

Adds up but he is pretty limited in skills. Why is he so Intimidating?

the limited skills section was purposeful. also, he is your typical jock and bully. to me they have always been pretty scary, on both a physical and social level.

Here you wrote Dodge focus 5 but up in the combat area, you have it listed as 4. Still, I want at least one point of real DEF so this is going to need to be fixed. You do have 11 feats listed though.

FIXED! dodge focus 4, but feat budget went down to 9 to accomodate for moving that other point up to actual defense bonus.

see above. benefits: he is well known on campus and in surrounding areas (as well as by sports fans in freedom city, they would know him from tv.)

Skills should be listed at 9pp for a total of 120pp.

pot right?

MBCE wrote:

see above. benefits: he is well known on campus and in surrounding areas (as well as by sports fans in freedom city, they would know him from tv.)

But that was when he was outside of the beetle suit, which he no longer takes off. How then does he remain popular? If the suit tells him that he can'T it off, why are you getting points for a Drawback of normal identity? Why would he remain popular. From the sound of his orgin, everyone would think he was dead along with everyone else at the crash site.

Just because he is being duped by the suit does not mean that the real him ceases to exist. If he were ever to "figure the suit out" he would have both popular and normal identity. I don't think those things should go away just because he doesn't know that he can't take the suit off.