Low Places

Arrowhawk laughed at the suggestion to reveal his identity. "Sorry, but maybe if I'd known you all for a few more years. I have spent two decades in this life, getting shot, stabbed, blown up and having bizarre abilities used against me. My secret identity is my only respite from that, and I'm not giving it up just for the sake of a shelter." He turned and went to walk away from the group. "You ever need me," he said, turning round. "I operate on comms frequency 432 Hz." He squeezed his earpiece to emphasise the point.

He walked out of the area, glancing back unable to see the group. Firing off his grapple line, he swung up onto a nearby rooftop and slunk off into the darkness. OK, that's my mandatory superpowered vampire for the week. Now, to go look into that skinhead problem...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hellbound was actually sorry to see the archer leave. He'd worked with him before, and Arrowhawk was clever. Damned clever. That was something the group would probably need at some point. Not just the brute power or raw intellect that they had in spades, but the ability to get a lot of 'win' from very little resource.

He was pretty sure that 'Hawk didn't have any powers whatsoever, and in fact his only weapon had been made obsolete centuries ago. Yet who'd taken down the vampire? 'Sure as hell wasn't Hellbound.

"Hey, I don't have any kind of secret identity, but I know how to keep my pie-hole zipped. Maybe I can't show you mine, but if you show me yours then it'll go to the grave with me, dig? I don't rat out friends."

Dark Star nodded as he watced the archer depart and shrugged before turning back to the group. "I don't have much of a 'regular' human life anymore but I do have some family left. I would be honored to hold your secrets and keep them safe as well as to share mine. But this isn't the place to reveal that or discuss our stories. If everyone's ready? Gather close together and I'll get us there in a moment." He grinned. "Welcome to Dark Star travel! The most expedient travel service to...anywhere!" Too much seriousness was not good for you after all.

Avenger climbed rather than jumping down from the beam, a certain stiffness in his movements the only sign that he'd taken an injury. "Will understand if you choose not to reveal yourselves." For his part, his face remained hidden by his trademark hockey mask. "Prefer my own privacy. But Scarab knows me. Believe Scarab was active when rest of us in diapers. Likely trustworthy." He shot Dark Star a look at that, considering a question on alien baby-raising that he decided he didn't want to know. "What matters is the work. And...the team." He looked from one to the other. " Will bring you all together again when the situation calls for it. Suggest we all exchange contact information now. Best if more than one contact node. Might meet with accident."

"You've already got my home phone number." Hellbound mentions. "And I don't have a cell phone right now. I, ah, kinda can't afford it. But before we break up I want to hear more about this dude's sanctuary.

"Specifically, like what kind of training setup you have going? Personally I've never found most gyms to be as challenging as I need 'em to be, you know what I mean? Now I don't know if you have any kind of high-tech Nautilus type stuff or robotical trainers, but it'd be nice if I could sharpen myself up on something a bit heavier weight than the YMCA."

The feeling in the pit of Moira's stomach got worse when the Master Mage gave her a stern look. She wondered if she had worn out her welcome. Like a child hiding behind a security blanket, she held O'Ren tighter.

Once the threat was gone, she whispered something into O'Ren's ear.

"I'm all for a group of people who stick together for protection purposes," Moira said loosening her grip on O'Ren and stepping from behind him. "My name is Moira Morley. I am a child of Aphrodite and Ares." She takes a pause for a small curtsey. "I also own a pub in the West End: Morley's. You guys are welcome there anytime."

Avenger studied Divine for a long moment, thinking about her unearthly beauty and the other abilities he'd seen her display. I wonder just how holy she is. "Gods. Avenger. Hellbound. Some pretty serious magical threats out there. Need someone who can deal with them the right way. S...the other superheroes can't be everywhere. Need to do the job ourselves."

And so, the heroes depart, just as the police move in. Sister Sixtus is captured, and the dagger returned to the Beaumont Collection. Many dead bodies are carted off; some are returned to confused families, some are cremated and put into a potter's field.

What new challenges await them, both individually and as a team? Where will these challenges come from? Who can say?!

"Change! Change, O mortal form!

Release the might from fleshy mire!

Boil the blood in heart of fire!

Gone! Gone! -- the mortal form --

Rise, the Demon Belphegor!!!"

The demon landed with a thud onto the island Jos Terhune had been careening towards. 'Island' was as good a term as any: a spit of bone-white rock floating in the fetid air of the Necro-King's Hell, connected by rusted chains to other floating spits of bone-white rock. Things, some recognizably JudeoChristian demonic, some far weirder -- and all horribly rotted or skeletal -- crawled and flapped and flopped about aimlessly... and then all turned to the newcomer. They bared fang and claw and spine and other nastiness, and charged towards the new meat.

Belphegor smiled, and roared defiantly as he charged into the fray.

~fin~