Geckoman

Aug 24th, 2008

I'm starting a diary. So I can reminisce later, or write a book. 'The Adventures of Geckoman'. Could be a comic series. Or a film. TV serial? Dunno. Met some guy called Warren, girl called Lucy, guy called Darian. Some girl called Lullaby. Warren was an asshole, Lucy nice but dim. Lullaby seemed spacey. Darian was cool, we're gonna meet up and chill out. Eat pizza. Or bagels. I like bagels.

Anyway, so I went to school, got a tour, got a dorm room. Not great, not terrible. We'll see how this super-school goes.

Aug 26th, 2008

I failed this placement test bad. Everything was going pretty great. Zap! Targets hit! Buzz! I light up a bulb using sticky hands. Then I crash the Pitchoo into metal obstacles. A lot. I mean, new paint job a lot. New classes in piloting seem imminent.

Dammit.

I don't think they want me to fly unsupervised. But the Geckoman fears no adult figure of authority!

Oct 7th, 2008

Notes on the Pitchoo

By Chris Kenzie, input from Darian Cale.

The Pitchoo is inexplicable in many ways. I don't understand exactly how it works. The basic design is a sort of egg-shape the size of a bus, with large frontal windows and an area at the back and underside dedicated to what appears to be the power supply. Oh, and weapons turrets come out the bottom, using rapid-fire electric zappers (Note: come back and reference up-coming article on zappers). They rotate.

The cockpit area has a couple of sofa-esque seats, two stand-alone ones and my swivelly-awesome chair at the console. There is too much on the console to truly list, but there's weapon controls, a computer, CD player, autopilot... It's quite mad. The controls aren't as intuitive as I found them apparently. We've got three levers. "Left thrust, middle steering, right brakes". The left is a simple forward and back thing, in resting position it barely moves, full forward the speedo says 500 MPH. The middle is like a joystick, at rest it moves forwards, left and right turn it and up and down let me ascend and descend. The stick on the right is the brake, as far forward as possible it locks in place like a hand-brake, pull it back and forward to apply more or less brakes. It's simple to me at least. But Darian's meant to be a genius. Boy just can't fly I guess.

The power supply continues to elude us. It seems all the waste is recycled to fuel, so it doesn't need refuelling. Probably needed fuel added to initially get it going, but now its self-sustaining. Credit crunch be damned, my wheels don't need no fuel. Or wheels. And it presumably has fuel, I just don't buy any. Hmmm...

Darian fitted these lightflier things to the ship. It hasn't effected power supply. It means I can conjure up this holographic, 'hard light' flying surfboard. It's slower, it's exposed and only carries one person, but it's good for dropping down gaps the Pitchoo can't fit through.

Future notes: Darian does not react well to people dropping out of vehicles at high altitudes. Best to heed this in future. He builds things. Glorious, terrible things. Makes Daedalus' battlesuits look archaic. Although is that his schtick? Could be. Bet he calls his suit I.C.A.R.U.S. pattern mk-22 or some other stuff. Why not zippy, catchy names? ZAPPER! PITCHOO! GECKOMAN!

All this dark and edgy stuff makes me nauseous. Except the Raven. She's cool. I should stick that poster up... but what if I get the opportunity to work with her. That'd be awkward and not cool. Hmmm...

• 4 months later...

April 12th, 2009

I got turned into a chick. Don't want to discuss it but...

Damn, I make a hot woman.

June 9th, 2009

Message for the day: mind-controlling girls don't make good dates. Buying booze underage when teachers are there is bad. Pissing off mind-altering boyfriend is bad. All in all, I'm glad that I'm in less trouble than them, having pushed the mind control angle for all it was worth. Running around near superheroes convinced they're badgers is not a good thing in any case.

At least I got to show off my pimp hat of epicness.

• 6 months later...

GECKOTROOOOPES!

Alliterative Name: Chris Kenzie deliberately has the initials of Clark Kent.

Chaotic Good

Chest Insignia: A bright yellow G.

Cloudcuckoolander: Often lapses into rambling, only vaguely related, ponderings.

Cool Airship: The Pitchoo.

The Combat Pragmatist: Kinda has to be, lacking any serious superpowers. He can't just punch out supervillains, he has to keep them off-guard, shoot them in the groin, knock out the lights so they can't see him, etc.

Crazy Awesome: He eats, sleeps and breathes this trope.

Dating Spellbound

Expy: Of the Ted Kord Blue Beetle, and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Grappling Hook Pistol: Previously used, prior to incorporating it into his wrist bracers.

Healing Factor: Albeit a weak one. It takes him a couple of minutes to recover from minor gunshots, and severe injuries take a few hours and severely drain his energy.

Large Ham: "GECKOMAAAAAAAAN!"

Obfuscating Insanity: To an extent. While he has exhibited quieter moments where he takes things seriously, even then he's slightly off-kilter.

Obfuscating Stupidity: Often seen as Young Freedom's dumb comic relief, yet possesses a huge range of skills in excess of nearly anyone his age.

Spandex Latex Or Leather: Spandex. Albeit with incorporated Kevlar weave. He doesn't believe in the latex/leather "I wanna be edgy" trend.

Super Senses: He can see perfectly in dim light, and in darkness sees heat trails. He also possesses a potent sense of smell. Yes, they are far in excess of actual gecko sensory capabilities.

Talking Is A Free Action: Geckoman's real superpower...

Trash Talk: ... which he uses for this.

Wall Crawl: Rather like a gecko, in fact...

Wake Up Go To School Save The World

Where Does He Get All Those Wonderful Toys: Initially? He stole them. After that, though, keeping them maintained and his supplies topped up has had to become somewhat of an acquired skill.

You Fight Like A Cow: Geckoman is always talking in battle.

• 2 years later...

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.
"One sentence? ONE!? Fine. I'm the Gobsmacking, Gregarious Geckoman, defender of truth, justice and beater-upper-er of supervillains everywhere."

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?
"Jack calls me Goggles. Does that count?"

What is your full birth name?
"Christopher James Kenzie. Not MacKenzie. Kenzie. And I prefer Chris to Christopher. Christopher is what people call me when shouting is happening."

Where do you live?
"I live in the moment. Aaaargh, aaargh, stop hitting me! OK, I live in Freedom City, New Jersey, in a nice little apartment overlooking the park. I also keep a room by in the Interceptors' headquarters, and have my own headquarters in the form of a secret underground lair... the Arborealair!"

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?
"I am young and reckless! I was born on the 17th of May, 1992. A day that shall live in infamy."

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.
"I'm a man!"

How would you describe your heritage?
"The very flyest of white guys. And whatever ethnicity having your DNA rewritten by nanobots is."

How tall are you?
"Five foot eleven and a bit." "There's no bit." "Yes! There is!"

What is your body type?
"I have been told my chiselled lean muscle and athletic ability gives me the look of a sprinter, or a tennis player."

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?
"I can't think of anything really glaring. Donuts. Bagels. Ice cream." "Lightning bolts." "Them also."

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?
"I tend to bend the knees and lift with my back." *murmured discussion* "Wait, no. I've got superhuman agility and physical co-ordination. I don't trip, I don't stumble, I move quickly and fluidly. As for confidence? I have all of it. All of it."

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.
"Aaargh, you're looking at me. Fine. I have brown eyes, and light brown hair. My skin is pretty pale. I mean, I wear a full body costume. I don't get much direct sunlight."

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?
"My hair is a willful and independent being. It lies as it will, and does as it pleases. Can I curtail that freedom by styling it? Or cutting it? Do I have time to shave every morning? No."

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?
"Short answer: yes, I'm hot. Long answer: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, so hot." "I really shouldn't bolster his ego..." "See, exhibit A, other people find me attractive. I mean, come on, tight spandex, load of muscle. I'm a catch."

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?
"Scars heal up. Tattoo ink doesn't stay. Piercings also heal up. Which just leaves birthmarks, and I don't have one. Except for that perfect map of the underground on my left b-" "Stop making stuff up when you can't answer!"

Do you resemble anyone famous?
"I don't know. Should I? I mean, this face is unique."

Do you have a dominant hand?
"Both of hers." *points at Liz Lawlett* "Also, my right hand. I call him Mr Punchy."

What kind of clothing do you wear?
"Well, in the rigours of dramatically tearing off your clothes to reveal your costume, you end up, you know, needing to conceal your costume under your clothes, belt and all. So baggy jeans, baggy sweaters, and all of them not so nice I'd miss them if they weren't there when I returned to retrieve them."

Do you wear makeup?
"Only when I'm trying to be a master of disguise."

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

"That of an angel. I dunno, I'm a male American Jerseyan in their twenties, we all sound the same. I mean, my voice isn't that deep, but I'm hardly singing contralto."

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?
"Well... I've been told, by some people, who aren't Jack or Liz or everyone I've ever met, that I do this thing where my mouth moves and utter drivel flies out. I have not noticed this. I think these hypothetical people are just not able to deal with my sheer... profoundness."

History

Where do you come from?

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

"Well, I live here, work here, defend the people here, blah de blah. I don't really consider it patriotic, though, I mean, that's got all these ideas of 'my country right or wrong', and I don't care. My job is people. I'm not a government servant, I'm not a cop, I'm not a soldier. That's not what I'm meant to be doing here, I'm not dealing with politics and governments and policy and meeting crime figures and agendas. My job's doing what's right. Government and country don't come into it much."

How do you feel about the place you come from?

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

Where are your parents now?

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

What was your birth order in the family?

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

Who or what do you despise? Why?

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?
"Well, I was on Young Freedom, but I graduated and we weren't around much together anymore. Then I joined the Interceptors. Some stuff went down, and somehow I'm one of the few left. Jack of all Blades is pretty cool, but I don't think he likes me much. His partner Jill is more sarcastic, but she's like that with everyone. Willow creeps me out a bit. Fulcrum's really nice, though, she's like everyone's favorite aunt."

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?
"Yeah! You get to go to cool places, see things most people don't get to see, use awesome gadgets. I mean, I've got a flying airship! And you get to help all these people, and that's cool, because you're making a difference in all these lives. And there's all these kids with action figures of you, and pyjamas with your logo. I have Geckoman pyjamas! People wear them! I've got a cousin with a kid, and they don't know I'm Geckoman, but he wears them, and I'm all 'eeeee, that is so cool'."

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Is there anything you would give you life for?

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

How do you generally treat others?

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?
"Answer carefully." "The most chivalrous of gentlemen, of course! Would not deign to flirt with any pretty girls. I'm all monogamous and that."

What are your most annoying habits?
"The talking. The constant, never-ceasing talking." "It's not that bad!" "Kenzie, I am oft-tempted to just shoot you in the chest for an hour's silence." "... alright, maybe it's that bad. But it's profound!"

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?
"Meh, most people are generally good. And most people who aren't could be, if someone helped them. There's a few assholes out there, but they're generally all 'I HATE YOU', so why would I want to be like that too? It seems quite dull."

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Do you have a favorite animal?
"Dude. Geckos."

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

Could you kill? Have you killed?
"I haven't killed anyone. It's not my place to take a life. Maybe a cop could shoot a dangerous criminal, but they've got a lot of laws and training on when and how to do that. They're allowed to. I'm not. Now, if it's something icky, like a demon or a vampire, yeah, they're not really alive to begin with, but I don't think that's what's being asked, is it?"

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?
"I'm going to arrest them. Right there and then. As for the friend thing... well, yes. A supervillain, you expect them to do stuff like that. Do you expect it of your friends? I say I'd arrest them, but would I? Would I be able to take down one of my friends? It's not a thing I want to find out if I can do."

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

How would you react to public humiliation?

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?
"Well, first, I'm going to go say goodbye to everyone. That's what I'd take from 24 hours notice. I mean, I could die tomorrow. I could die next year, or when I'm an old man. But I won't know in advance to say proper goodbyes. Then, I'm going to eat a really nice steak, with curly fries and barbecue sauce. I'm going to go out on patrol, because it's my job and that doesn't stop because of stupid little things. Hm.... fourth and fifth things, I'm spending the last few hours with Lizzie. Maybe go to a nice restaurant, go dancing. Go back to where we had our first date. Find a junkyard and smash up a car together."

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

What is your preferred combat style?
"All of them. At once. If you can throw a ninja star while backflipping, while doing a capoeira kick and a boxing jab... how will people know how to react? It's a tried and tested method. Throw in some body-popping and you're good to go."

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

What do you do for fun?

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?
"My costume is pretty cool. Green spandex bodysuit with Kevlar weave, and dark green boots and gloves. I've got a utility belt in a lovely yellow color, and bright orange goggles for my eyes! It's a great outfit, especially with the big yellow G on the front."

What do you wear to bed most nights?
"Nightshirts. Don't diss them. They're comfortable and roomy and make you feel like you're in a Dickens novel."

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?
"Pitchoo. Also Pitchoo. I love my big airship. She takes me everywhere."

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?
"My DNA is pretty weird, that'd work. But other than that... like I said, no birthmarks, and all my scars heal up in record time. Without my beautiful face... well, you're gonna have to work to figure out who I am.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?
"Well... I can dodge bullets. When they hit me, it generally heals in about ten seconds flat. I can outfight entire SWAT teams, and once pulled myself out of dropping from near-orbit. But despite all that, I'm not invincible. And should probably stop doing the things where I try to be and end up being shot, stabbed, set on fire or shanghaied into doing the Interceptors' grocery shopping."

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...