Friday Night Poker

Leffa

Hi.

Would anyone be up for a friendly poker match. In the tradition of Ben Grimm's (in)famous poker nights, it would be fun for some of the characters to meet up and play some cards, drink some beer and talk about the latest gossip.

Both my characters would love to play, but I was mostly thinking of Sammy for this one. He'd host it himself, but have no place to host. Anyone interested in taking part in something like this?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an awesome idea. :) Works for heroes and for villains (though not for the two combined).

Doc would probably decline -- he can't help but count cards.

I echo these sentiments. Just replace "counting cards" with "reading minds." :D Great idea, though.

• 5 months later...

This idea intrigues me as well; Grim would play poker about as well as I would (i.e. crappy) but she might enjoy a heroic social group outside the Knights. Hmm, though Friday night is the shabbos and she's supposed to be kind of religious, but not too much. I'll have to think about it and look some stuff up. Hey, what was Ben Grimm doing playin' on Friday nights anyway? In canon the Thing was Jegoogoowish, but maybe he was kinda lapsed.

Thing's Jewishness is only a recent retcon (2002, according to TV Tropes), though it could be argued he was always meant to be Jewish (has a Jewish name [benjamin Jacob], resembles the Golem legend, and grew up in a Yancy Street neighborhood resembling New York's Lower East Side). The Floating Super-Hero Poker Game was first shown in 1979.

Perhaps due to Thing's newfound-but-really-had-it-all-along religion, the latest shown instance of the FSHPG was held on a Wednesday night.

Ok, based upon genuine internet Talmudic research, I think I can safely say that Grim can play poker on Friday night after temple; if she was a bit more Orthodox, it would be a no-go, but seeing as she's a partially observant Conservative, I give her a free pass for a monthly card game :D

The idea that every member of every religion follows its every tenet is both amusing, and in some cases, would be contradictory :P

Oh absolutely! It's just always bothered me in comics when a so-called Jewish character (I'm looking at you, Kitty Pryde!) only displays interest in their religion when it's a major story point about diversity or some crap, and then they deliver a little speech; no one is 100% on any faith, of course, but I want it to be a major part of her life, not just window dressing. Obviously his phenomenon is not limited to comics or Jewish characters.

So to wrap up this odd subtopic on just how Jewish Grim is, I've decided for the record she doesn't attend temple on a regular basis, though she does observe the major holidays (Rosh Hashanah is just around the corner!) and does her best to keep kosher; ergo, she can play poker most Friday nights. Bring on the beer and cigars!

Ok, so far it sounds like we've got Angel, Atlas, Grimalkin and River Rat interested in this game. I have never really played poker, so I don't know if four players is enough for a good game. Another tricky thing is I don't know if any of these characters have met! Once these two hurdles are overcome, we can figure out where we want to play, how often, and what form the thread(s) will take.

Also how would we simulate play in a thread?

What I've seen work well is just actually have a neutral party deal the hands and PM them to the players at the begining of each hand. Then you can use bluff checks or whatever to modify how well you bluff if you are.

So if you have a good hand you make a bluff check and say "XX plays it cool" or "XX is clearly happy with is hand" dependant on the check the others can guage how much to believe or whatever.

Maybe say give someone with luck stuff or the Gambler profesional skill can get a redraw and pick the best of the two hands.

This came up when I did a search for D20 Poker.

Or you could just do opposed Bluff checks, whoever has highest wins.

What I've seen work well is just actually have a neutral party deal the hands and PM them to the players at the begining of each hand. Then you can use bluff checks or whatever to modify how well you bluff if you are.

So if you have a good hand you make a bluff check and say "XX plays it cool" or "XX is clearly happy with is hand" dependant on the check the others can guage how much to believe or whatever.

Maybe say give someone with luck stuff or the Gambler profesional skill can get a redraw and pick the best of the two hands.

Some combination of both of these might work best.

• 3 weeks later...

This would be perfect for ironhide to meet other hero's thanks to colt possibly dragging him to it-since ironhide has to be dragged, blackmailed or threatened to go to any social events at this point as a reformed villian..how do you play poker with a guy that just last month you were ready to fight? :lol: