Power Check -- Malice (OOC)

Geez3r

OVERALL RULES

There'll be 5 tests, each one consisting of four "targets", which you get three chances to beat. Each stage will test a certain aspect of the character, such as fighting ability, defensive ability, skills, powers, et cetera.

I'll be setting up the challenges, it'll be up to you to describe how he runs through them.

He may use extra effort at any time, but the fatigue will remain until the stage is complete; any fatigue suffered will be cured before the next stage begins. Spending an HP for a re-roll is also possible, but once used, it is gone for the entire thread. Any actual damage suffered will also be healed between stages; there will be an explanation as to how that happens, if it happens. :twisted:

STAGE ONE

This stage will be a test of Malice's ability to hit a target. You get to roll 3 attempts to hit each target. Damage isn't important here, simply hitting the target is.

Part 1 -- Defense 12 (mook crook or thug)

Part 2 -- Defense 16 (Maximus Atom at full Growth [Gargantuan, 32 feet tall])

Part 3 -- Defense 20 (Captain Thunder, Daedalus, Lady Liberty)

Part 4 -- Defense 26 (Johnny Rocket, Raven)

STAGE TWO

This'll be a test of the power (i.e., Damage capacity) of his weaponry.

Again, three chances to damage each one, and you can tackle them in any order you'd like. You roll three Toughness saves for each target against the damage you deal,

Part 1: Tougnhess +1 (mook Criminal)

Part 2: Toughness +4 (Johnny Rocket)

Part 3: Toughness +11 (Impervious 8) (Tesla Atom)

Part 4: Toughness +16 (Impervious 10) (Eldrich)

Took me a while to figure out you were using Power Attack.

The Know/Tech check reveals... nothing unusual. Which is unusual. The hologram emitters in the droids are the same ones he installed, and they should not be able to produce holograms that detailed. And the servos and motors look standard, so the Raven one shouldn't have been able to move so smoothly.

STAGE THREE

This'll be a test of Malice's ability to avoid being hit (i.e., his Defense).

Again, three chances to be hit, and you can tackle them in any order you'd like. You roll three attacks against Malice's Defense (normal/non-flat-footed, unless you choose otherwise), and see if you can avoid getting hit. The hits do no damage (this time), it's just paintballs/harmless light.

Part 1: Thug with gun (+2 to hit)

Part 2: Smash (+7 to hit)

Part 3: Captain Thunder (+10 to hit)

Part 4: Bowman (+15 to hit)

Each droid's attacking three times. They have three chances to hit you.

(Actually, each one's attacking many times, but we'll just pick three attacks at random to be the sample group.)

These are supposed to be a test, in part, of combat ability. In a real fight, if someone misses you once, they're not going to never try shooting you again, they will keep trying. ;)

STAGE FOUR

A test of skills and feats. Five parts rather than four.

The screens show a metahuman (your choice, canon character, PC, something completely new) as caught on assorted city cameras (traffic cameras and such). The metahuman has some drawback or Flaw on its powers, which was caught by the camera.

Notice check to spot something exploitable in the subject.

Two Knowledge/Technology checks to design two inventions to use when confronting them.

A Craft/Electrical and a Craft/Mechanical check to construct said inventions.

Three chances to make each check. You can Take 10 or 20 on the Knowledge check (as with any design check), and can take 10 (but not 20) on the construction checks.

Part 1: DC 15

Part 2: DC 20

Part 3: DC 25

Part 4: DC 30

Part 5: DC 35

Yes, that last one you can only make with one of your Craft skills or Know/Tech if you roll a natural 19 or 20 and use Extra Effort to get a +2 check bonus. However, keep in mind that these tests aren't just about seeing what you can do, they're about seeing what you can't do, what you can improve on, and how you handle both success and failure.

And assuming he's the type to work until he gets tired, hungry, thirsty, or distracted by something from outside... none of those happen, despite the fact that once he's done he realizes several days should have passed. And when he checks his clocks at the end, he finds that at most three hours have passed since these tests began.

I'll use Extra Effort to get an AP off of the Super Senses, spending my HP to ignore the fatigue. I'll use it to get the following:

Enhanced Skills 6 (Notice 12 ranks, Knowledge: Tech 4 ranks, Craft mechanical 4 ranks, Craft electrical 4 ranks)

Essentially turning Malice's HUD into a drafting tool/ 3-D modeler for the device. Increased analytical awareness to pick out flaws, and to get in real close for the precision stuff.

I need the Notice ranks more than anything or else I can't pass test #3 on the Notice checks, when I could almost take a 10 on the other checks still :(

This will bump up Malice's total modifiers as such:

Notice +16

Crafts +18

Knowledge +18

Sound alright? I was going to EE an AP off the Weapons Array, but A - doesn't make too much sense and B - it's kind of a cheap tactic. I wanted to make sure this was Kosher before continuing on with the thread.

I'll use Extra Effort to get an AP off of the Super Senses, spending my HP to ignore the fatigue. I'll use it to get the following:

Enhanced Skills 6 (Notice 12 ranks, Knowledge: Tech 4 ranks, Craft mechanical 4 ranks, Craft electrical 4 ranks)

Essentially turning Malice's HUD into a drafting tool/ 3-D modeler for the device. Increased analytical awareness to pick out flaws, and to get in real close for the precision stuff.

I need the Notice ranks more than anything or else I can't pass test #3 on the Notice checks, when I could almost take a 10 on the other checks still :(

This will bump up Malice's total modifiers as such:

Notice +16

Crafts +18

Knowledge +18

Sound alright?

That's... kinda defeating the purpose of the tests. These are supposed to test what you are routinely capable of doing, not the full gamut of what you potentially can do.

But, I'll allow it, since Test #5's gonna be a killer ;)

I was going to EE an AP off the Weapons Array, but A - doesn't make too much sense and B - it's kind of a cheap tactic. I wanted to make sure this was Kosher before continuing on with the thread.

You mean, invent a 1pp "Power Feat", that Feat being an AP for the Weapons Array?

That's explicitly forbidden. (I tried it in one of my first adventures here, and we had no real idea whether it was allowed, so we asked Kenson.)

If you mean "using Extra Effort to stunt a new power of the Weapons Array"... how would that a test of your skills? ;)

That's... kinda defeating the purpose of the tests. These are supposed to test what you are routinely capable of doing, not the full gamut of what you potentially can do.

But, I'll allow it, since Test #5's gonna be a killer ;)

You mean, invent a 1pp "Power Feat", that Feat being an AP for the Weapons Array?

That's explicitly forbidden. (I tried it in one of my first adventures here, and we had no real idea whether it was allowed, so we asked Kenson.)

If you mean "using Extra Effort to stunt a new power of the Weapons Array"... how would that a test of your skills? ;)

Not a direct test of my skills so much as see how much shenanigans I can pull out of my backside when necessary ;)

No essentially making an AP on the weapons array that had a bunch of skills and feats and what not, like a "recon" setting if you will. But as I mentioned, that's stretching it a bit. Malice formerly had something like that, but I got rid of it when the Velveeta taste got too strong.

Furthermore, you're making me dread test #5.

That's fine.

You're actually doing a lot more than I'd intended: there was going to be just one metahuman, and only five skill checks total (one Notice, two Know/Tech, one Craft/Electronic and one Craft/Mechanical), with three chances to make each.

But what you're doing is actually a far better test :D

I am going to want to see the stats for all those inventions, though.

Alrighty.

PART 1

Device 1

Blast 6 Flaws: Full Round Action, Unreliable (5/day), Limited: Half effect vs those that have Protection (or similar) power {2}

LINKED

Drain 6 - All effects of fire descriptor Flaws: Full Round Action, Unreliable (5/day), Additional Save (Reflex) {3}

:arrow: Full Round action because you need more time to line up the perfect shot, Unreliable for the limited amount of special bullets made, Limited vs those w/protection - took a page out of the shotgun's entry because they're bullet fragments rather than bullets, Additional save - You can duck out of the way of the paste as it shatters.

Device 2

Snare 4 Flaws: Ranged - Touch, Unreliable (5/day), Distracting, Full Round Action {1}

LINKED

Drain 8 - All effects of the fire descriptor Flaws: Unreliable (5/day), Distracting, Full Round action {4}

:arrow: Touch range because goop loses efficiency very fast, Unreliable as before because of limited ammo, Full Round and Distracting because the attack works much like a fire extinguisher would

PART 2

Device 1

Blast 6 Flaws: Unreliable (5/day), Full Round action {3}

LINKED

Nullify 7 - All effects of the raditation descriptor Extras: Duration x2 (Sustained), Flaws: Unreliable (5/day), Additional Save (fortitude), Full Round Action {7}

:arrow: Unreliable - limited ammo, full round - be extra careful so you don't waste ammo, Additional save - its a crap shoot it it'll work or not

Device 2

Immunity 10 (radiation descriptor) - Sustained Duration

:arrow: After the past 3, I needed to do a simple one.

PART 3

Device 1

Blast 12 Flaws: Distracting PFs: Variable Descriptor 3 (any) {15}

:arrow: Distracting represents the fact that it is cumbersome to weild, and VD represents all the crap that is crammed on the gun. Not entirely sure if you can buy 3 points of Variable Descriptor, but I just wanted to show how much crap was loaded onto the gun.

Device 2

Super Senses 5 (Detect Weakness, Rapid x10) PF: Assessment

Enhanced Skills 9 (Noitce 12 ranks, Knowledge (Arcance Lore) 12 ranks, Knowledge (history) 12 ranks) {15}

:arrow: Detect Weakness is an obvious choice. Assessment and Rapid just for thematic sense. Notice for better ability to pick out the traits that are exploitable. Knowledges to represent that bio about the critter that pops up on screen.

As an aside, Malice didn't forget the other 2 tests that are still part of this stage. He was just really proud of himself with this one.