Power Check -- Malice

Geez3r

Saying that Eric was dumbfounded would suffice to say, be a rather large understatement. Eric stared up in wonder at the figure before responding "Ummm... charmed?" Eric grunted as he stood up, he would find it incredibly awkward if he continued the rest of this conversation laying on his back. Eric took off the helmet and put it on a table next to him, the helmet felt off balance when the face plate was open and closing it at this point would just look stupid. He kept the rest of the suit on though, it was pretty much all that was keeping Eric standing at this point.

"My guess is that you were the one behind those shenanigans in the simulator just now, right?" Eric looked away from the figure for a moment, trying to collect his thoughts. But he found that they were too erratic, and wild to be so easily corraled. Breathing deeply to center himself, Eric said "For now, let's keep things simple. Who? What? Why? How?"

"Ah, straight to the point," the intruder said, still using Eric's mother's voice, "you always were quick to get the the heart of a problem."

The intruder began to pace back and forth some. "Who I have already answered. I am called Legend. It is an adequate enough moniker, for I am here to make legends."

"Which also answers Why. I test people, specifically those of a, shall we say, immoral, unethical, and/or otherwise unwholesome nature. Villains, if a label must be used. I test them, to learn what they are capable of, and what they are not capable of, and to see how they handle this knowledge. I've been sending you invitations to my Arena for some months now, but you never replied, so I took it upon myself to come here."

He stopped, "as for What and How -- well, What I am and How I did this is... not something you need worry yourself about."

Why does everyone I know either speech in riddles or nonsense? Eric was quite a bit dissapointed with the answers he had gotten, but on the otherhand, he didn't really see himself as threatening this figure to elaborate; that would just be plain stupid. But things weren't quite adding up. Why would Legend test me? Especially because if what he's said is true and has been trying to get me to go to the Arena, he must have been watching me for months on end. And if that was true, he probably knew pretty closely what my abilities were. Unless he was going for the "seeing is believing route".

"I'm going to go ahead an assume that you made the droids move faster, shoot better and look better, to see if I would pick up on it? A test within a test essentially?" Eric paused a moment here, thinking for a moment. "A few more questions then. Did you want to test me specifically, or was I simply next on the list? Why do you look and sound like that? And, where do we go from here?"

"I'm going to go ahead an assume that you made the droids move faster, shoot better and look better, to see if I would pick up on it? A test within a test essentially?"

"Seeing if you noticed anything out of the ordinary was part of it, yes," Legend said, still in Eric's mother's voice. "That, and to see how you fared against such challenges."

"A few more questions then. Did you want to test me specifically, or was I simply next on the list? Why do you look and sound like that? And, where do we go from here?"

"I take on the form I think would most get a subject's undivided attention. For an Irish rogue, I take the form of a blood-stained Druid; for a certain half-demon art historian, I took the form of a 17h Century French Satanist. You required something a bit special, though: no one form would get your focus, as you would immediately assume it was a trick, or even a part of the prior assault."

"As for where we go from here," he said, fading, "well, that's entirely up to you."

And like a fading dream, Legend was gone.

"Uh huh." Malice said to the fading figure. Not very much else needed to be said, or would be said apparently. But there was no shortage of things that needed to be thought about. This Legen character, whoever they were, believed Malice to be a Villain. Few would contradict him, but Malice believed that there should be many more.

Then there was the matter that Legend had avoided the question of why Malice was selected for this test. He wasn't expecting much else, but he still didn't like being ignored. For whatever reason, Legend saw fit to test Malice this day. Maybe he's some sort of being bound to his purpose? Like it would be impossible for him not to test someone. Must suck to be him."

Then there was the whole issue of the tests themselves. He was able to do some pretty wild things back there, but he also fell short in quite a few of the other categories. "I need to get better." was a thought that Malice believed inescapable.

Malice set to work designing more upgrades for the base, to test him in more ways so he could improve his skill.