Save the Citizen(s) -- OOC

Hellbound

I'm confused. Did The Scarab manage to get them out of the ship and into the water, then lose her grip on them when the explosion went off?

Explosin went off before she got them into the water. You made the power check to keep them together due to spending a HP. The flavor text was to show that they were shocked to break their connection to each other which is why you needed to make a power check roll. You can post the results of your movement in the IC thread of how Scarab manages to hold the group together, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TK Power check: 13. Rolled a Natural 1. Owch.

I'm gonna spend The Scarab's lone Hero Point to re-roll that.

New TK Power check: 29! Much better!

She manages to keep them together and is able to move them through the water safely.

I'm confused. Did The Scarab manage to get them out of the ship and into the water, then lose her grip on them when the explosion went off?

Explosin went off before she got them into the water. You made the power check to keep them together due to spending a HP. The flavor text was to show that they were shocked to break their connection to each other which is why you needed to make a power check roll. You can post the results of your movement in the IC thread of how Scarab manages to hold the group together, though.

Was hoping to see an Ic post of this but I'll move things along.

I'll need a notice check DC 15 from Scarab when she resurfaces.

Notice check: 24

EDIT: I accidentally typed in the wrong thread name. MBCE is running both threads, so I got confused. My bad.

Not a problem.

Scarab notes that the ship has moved considerably from the last position it was in when she first saw the ship. It has moved much further away from the bridge which will only cause more trouble for the rescue work.

So the ship has drifted too far from the bridge, and the bridge is too crowded with rubber-neckers? You're not making this easy for me, MBCE. :D

The Scarab will use Extra Effort for a Power Stunt, a new Alternate Power for her array:

Mind Control 8 (Feats: Mental Link, Subtle, Extras: Area, Conscious, Duration [sustained], Flaws: Limited [One Command])

34PP

The "one command" is to disperse in a calm and orderly fashion to make room for rescue workers.

Free Action to switch the array to the new Alternate Power.

Free Actions to maintain Flight and Force Field.

Standard Action to use Mind Control on the bridge crowd. It's an opposed power check vs Will Save.

Mind Control power check: 10. Argh. The bystanders only need to make a DC10 Will Save to resist.

Move Action to issue the command to anyone who failed their save.

Free Action to speak.

The Scarab is now Fatigued. She has no Hero Points.

Mind Control is a Lasting effect - in this case, a Sustained Lasting effect. The Scarab need not actually take any action to maintain the effect. It will persist until the subjects break free of it. The subjects will get a new Will Save to break out (with a cumulative +1 bonus) at every interval that passes on the Time Table, starting 1 minute (10 rounds) from now.

According to page 37 of M&M2E, ocean liners weigh around 25,000 tons. The Scarab has 12 ranks of Telekinesis, and DarkStar has 13. That's a combined lifting Strength of 125. The light load for that level of Strength is more than five times the weight of that ship. Cyroa, if we join forces, we can reposition that boat to our hearts' content. :D Wait until next round though, when I can switch array slots again.

So the ship has drifted too far from the bridge, and the bridge is too crowded with rubber-neckers? You're not making this easy for me, MBCE. :D

Well it isn't a solo thread. Nothing was said that Scarab had to do everything. :D

The Scarab will use Extra Effort for a Power Stunt, a new Alternate Power for her array:

Mind Control 8 (Feats: Mental Link, Subtle, Extras: Area, Conscious, Duration [sustained], Flaws: Limited [One Command])

34PP

What kind of Area? A cone? A burst? A line?

EDI: Nevermind. Read the IC post which gives me a good idea of the type you're going for.

The "one command" is to disperse in a calm and orderly fashion to make room for rescue workers.

Free Action to switch the array to the new Alternate Power.

Free Actions to maintain Flight and Force Field.

Standard Action to use Mind Control on the bridge crowd. It's an opposed power check vs Will Save.

Mind Control power check: 10. Argh. The bystanders only need to make a DC10 Will Save to resist.

Move Action to issue the command to anyone who failed their save.

Free Action to speak.

The Scarab is now Fatigued. She has no Hero Points.

I'll roll for the people after I know what kind of area you're going for. But heads up, I'll be doing sets of rolls.

1 for the people just off the ship. They will receive a +2 on the roll as they are waiting for loved ones still on the ship.

1 for the bystanders outside of their cars. They get a +1 as they can see the action with their own eyes.

1 for the people still in cars. They get no bonuses on the roll as they don't have a clear line of sight to the action.

EDIT: Read the IC post so making the rolls now.

Survivors;on foot bystanders:still in cars vs DC 10 (1d20+2=6, 1d20+1=17, 1d20=1)

So survivors and people in cars start to move off in response to her command.

HP for reroll (1d20+7=12) I used an HP on this since the first was a _2_. That's just too close to botching and heroes don't loose people!

So with the bonus, I'm good.

edit: Shaen: MOVE the boat? a cruise ship weights thousands of tons I believe...I don't think that's even vaguely possible for us.

Dark Star realizes that the boat has moved considerably since he started working on saving people. In fact the bridge has also filled up with people so that the closer area are already full of both people saved as well as bystanders simply taking a look at the situation. Cars seem to have blocked up both ends of the bridge, further complicating matters.

Well, DS is pretty skilled in physics and the like (even if I'm not). in addition to the weight of the thing, we're also dealing with momentum. Not sure how far from the shore we are either. But thought was to use DS to either stop/negate the motion or alter/turn the ship by altering the gravity somehow (either gravity control or brute force tk). With enough of it negated, Scarab would be able to use her own TK to hopefully push it where she's like it. But unless we dock it, or DS maintains the negative motion, the boats going to start drifting again shortly afterwards...

Not sure that's coherent...but that make sense?

Well, DS is pretty skilled in physics and the like (even if I'm not). in addition to the weight of the thing, we're also dealing with momentum. Not sure how far from the shore we are either. But thought was to use DS to either stop/negate the motion or alter/turn the ship by altering the gravity somehow (either gravity control or brute force tk). With enough of it negated, Scarab would be able to use her own TK to hopefully push it where she's like it. But unless we dock it, or DS maintains the negative motion, the boats going to start drifting again shortly afterwards...

Not sure that's coherent...but that make sense?

Not really. :(

You want to use your gravity control to do what? Stop the ship from moving? To turn the ship? To lift the ship?

Once you've decided the basic plan of action, then we can work out what needs to be rolled.

Ok...how's this:

Using the Gravity control to negate the weight and momentum of the ship. Can I use extra effort to expand the area somehow or a HP? That should make it lift enough for Scarab to move with her TK. That possible?

You can always use extra effort or an HP to increase the area. Depending on how you want to go, you could:

a) use extra effort to gain 2 ranks in gravity control, or b)use extra effort to gain Progression on your gravity control.

Using the HPwould mean using more of your heroic power and I'm willing to hear your suggestion on what you want for using it. As for Scarab to use her TK, that's up to her. Neither of you are in a position to "talk" things out.

Lifting doesn't use the "Aid" mechanic, because it isn't a roll. You're either strong enough to lift a given load, or you're not.

When two or more characters are trying to lift something, you just add their effective Strength scores together. TK 12 = STR 60. TK 13 = STR 65. 60 + 65 = STR 125. As I said above, a 25,000-ton ocean liner isn't even a "Light" load for that level of Strength.

Cyroa - as I said above, if we wait until the next round, then Delay our actions to the same Initiative count so we can act in concert, we can pool our Telekinesis and have our way with that boat, unless the GM wants to do something else.

ok...so... Is it the new round? Ie can I post for DS doing this? Pretty sure that I saved the ones that fell in the water already. (Still some on the deck of ship but one problem at a time.)

I'm fine with the combo st thing. Description wise, DS is going to sit in the center of the ship and extend his gravity field out to reduce the weight over as much of the ship as he can. it's still the same mechanic of combining st but mkes more sense description/effect-wise. If that will need a HP and/or Extra Effort (even just for RP purposes), then I'm fine with that! If not, that works too! :)

ok...so... Is it the new round? Ie can I post for DS doing this? Pretty sure that I saved the ones that fell in the water already. (Still some on the deck of ship but one problem at a time.)

I'm fine with the combo st thing. Description wise, DS is going to sit in the center of the ship and extend his gravity field out to reduce the weight over as much of the ship as he can. it's still the same mechanic of combining st but mkes more sense description/effect-wise. If that will need a HP and/or Extra Effort (even just for RP purposes), then I'm fine with that! If not, that works too! :)

With everyone split into different locations, there is no real "round" of actions. Follow the posts that have your character marked at the top and you shouldn'T have any problems.

There are two points about the proposed plan of working with Scarab here.

1) Either of you have discussed things IC about the plan. That would have to happen first.

2) Unless eitherof you ahd tried this stunt before, an HP or extra effort is going to be needed somewhere.

Ok, freely using extra effort and an HP to use gravity/tk (which is a subset of gravity for me anyway) to make the boat lighter. (And I yelled out what I was doing so she'd know. Rest of it is up to you.)

Right now, it's extra effort. The HP comes in if Scarab decides to team up on the plan. Just to be sure, which are you extra efforting. To gain Progression or increase your power rank? It may make a difference.

Oh, and Scarab, let me know here if you're going ot follow Dark star's plan or not. Also, exactly what will she try to do so that I can give you guys the Dc for the task.