Save the Citizen(s)

Hellbound had to make a quick descision, but fortunately he wasn't the contemplative type. Rather than dwell on what to do, he picked the woman up and ran for the cargo hold. Combative instinct within the young hero told him to go for the open space, giving himself room to fight.

If this were a freighter or other ship built purely for hauling cargo, then there would be a good chance of multiple exits from the hold. If nothing else, then large overhead hatches would be needed for the loading and unloading of goods.

But, unfortunately, this was a luxury liner. The odds were that the room ahead was little more than an oversized storage closet. He had no way of knowing if this would be the only access point.

Even if it were, though, and the pair became trapped then at least he'd have enough room to fight the monster without his charge getting in the way. The unknown side door could lead anywhere, on the other hand. If it were one of the cramped passenger cabins then they'd be in big trouble.

It was better to take what control he could of the situation and take the known factor, that being the cargo hold, and gear his strategy towards what advantage it held.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While he strained and focused (he'd be sweating from the effort if he actually sweated), Dark Star couldn't help but note the idling dinosaur. And all those frightened people moving around the deck. Now, the thing had shown up with a hero. But it was still a freaking T-rex. Where had he gotten a live T-rex anyway? Gotta ask that after all this. He looked over at the big thing. "I don't suppose you can speak? Give me a name or anything?" Anything was possible. This WAS Freedom City after all! All the while, he was focusing on keeping the liner in the air. He just needed a little levity to the tense situation.

Arrowhawk

The man who was speaking spoke turned to Arrowhawk. "Ten, I think. My little girl, Susie is there. You've got to save save her!"

Sammy turns to Arrowhawk and waves teh hero on. "Go on, get those kids! I'll help this bunch reach the deck." The misplaced hero quickly bent over to help up one of the unconcious members in teh group. "Come on people. Time to saddle up and get off this bucking branco! Arrowhawk will get the kids out safely. He's good like that!"

Arrowhawk watched as the others began the ascent to safety.

The flames were just low enough that Arrowhawk thought he could clear them without too much problem. If the information that father had given was correct, the nursey would be only a few corridors down the way.

Arrowhawk ran and leapt across the flames with a practiced ease, landing softly on the other side. OK, I need to get these kids out of here. "Kids! I'm here to help, call if you can hear me!" He paced slowly down the corridor. The ship didn't sound in great shape. It seemed to be moving again in some strange direction. Telekinetics, he decided. Then he heard a cry from a nearby room. They were definitely behind that door. He went to open the door. "Sit tight, I'm here to help!"

Hellbound

Entering the cargo hold, it was much like he imagined it would be like. Unlike a normal cargo ship, there were few large boxes taking up the limited space. The cargo hold still had numerous boxes but the spacing was enough to give the hero enough room to do what he needed.

"What was that thing?" the woman in his arms asked. Once Hellbound placed her on her feet, her eyes were already searching for a place to hide.

Hellbound could see a small corner where the boxes would make more than enough cover to protect the woman as well as give her a chance to move back out the door and safety once the monster had entered.

Arrowhawk

The door was stuck closed. The damage to the ship must have changed the door frame. Inside voices of children crying. He could hear their soft pounding on the door as well in response to his voice.

With the door jammed, he had to find a way into the room. Taking a step back, Arrowhawk took a moment to assess the area. The door to the nursery was the only one on this side for some distance. Most likely it was a larger room than others on this level of the ship. Using an explosive tip to blast a way through the bulk head would work, but he couldn't be sure the children would stay clear before he used it. He had to find a less flashy way of getting the children out.

Down the hallway, the hero did spot another door that was on the same side. Perhaps that room would provide a way to the children.

Dark Star and Scarab

(Round 2 of 4 of the rescue attempt)

The Dinosuar tips its head in response to Dark Star's question, showing some sign of understanding though it does not speak. However, voices of those waiting to be rescused reach his ears.

"Hey! Look there's a speed boat coming!"

"Are they rescue workers?"

"Don't look like it. They all bald and a few of them got red skin!"

"Where they going? We're all on this side, why are they going to that side of the ship?"

Scarab from her perspective saw the speed boat reach the cruise ship but on the far side from the people on deck. Right before the boat slipped beyond her view, the hero could catch the glint of light off of a rifle.

• 3 weeks later...

Dark Star and Scarab

Together the two heros finally manage to ground the cruise ship, freeing them up from the danger of having the ship sink while people are evacuated. The massive use of power beings to hit Dark Star and he slumps slightly in place as he lets his power disappate. The dinosuar tilts its head and slowly moves over to the winded hero. Like a dog, it nuzzles Dark Star in a quizzical manner.

People on the deck also look worried at Dark Star's visible lack of strength. Voices begin to rise as panic begins to settle back into their mind. Thought he ship was relatively safe from sinking, most of the people continued to worry about drowning.

From Scarab's position, she could no longer see the power boat that came to the cruise but she can see helicopters coming towards teh ship. She easily makes out the Freedom City rescue markings up on the crafts. With their presence, getting people to solid ground would be easy. She was free to investigate what had caused the problem to begin with.

Dark Star release the ship and wobbled somewhat, feeling a little unsteady. He almost reached out to pet the dinosaur reassuringly, and would have if his hand wouldn't have pass right through it. "It's ok. I'm good. Just need a breather. If I could breathe. So Lassie... since I've got no other name for you, Lassie will do. Lassie the t-rex. Huh. I'm rambling. Definitely wiped out. Ok, focus. So, Lassie let's go find out what the blazes is going on. Or rather, you start and I'll follow after moving those last few people off the boat."

Pulling himself back together and focusing, he moved back to the remaining people on the deck. He had to yell to be heard and calm them down. Oy did that make his insubstantial head hurt. "OK. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. The boat has stopped sinking and I'll get you off. Please cluster very close together over there. No, no, no. Over there. There you go. Ok, sit tight and you'll be back on solid ground in moments."

He reached out with his power and began moving the few people left on the deck to safty en masse. After that, he still needed to follow Lassie to see who had attacked Timmy. Or the ship. Or...ugh he was tired.

Dark Star

The work was going as well as possible considering his weakened state. Pushing his power to such limits was not something that could without cost. Dark Star manages to get another group off the ship when from below decks, Sammy comes out with a group of people. The dinosuar roars in delight at the sight of his companion and shuffles over to Sammy. a large tongue whips out to like the out of time cowboy just like a dog would.

"Easy boy. I'm glad to see you too." Sammy moved the people he was with to join the others. Once they were gathered, he addressed Dark Star.

"Looks like the city's finally getting their act into gear. Why don't you head down below and give the others a hand? I haven't seen that tough guy in some time. Arrowhawk, the guy with the bow, is down below helping some kids. We still don't know what caused this in the first place. I'll make sure the rest of these people get to safety."

He might not sleep anymore, but he was tired. He really needed to take a break at some point. Unfortunately, there was no time for break. People were still in danger and he wasn't about to sit down while that was the case.

When the t-rex's owner showed, Dark Star nodded, a little relieved. "Right, I'm on it. That side is probably safer to lower them down on, given the fire and water depth over there," he said pointing. "Later Pa'dner!" He managed a grin as he took a moment to focus his powers. Letting his senses expand, he could see through the ship for 100' or so, looking for the gravity signature of moving objects and people even as he sunk down through the floor, passing through it easily.

Dark Star

With the ship saved, Scarab decides to leave the rest of the rescue work to the authorities. Dark Star continues to float through the decks of the ship and notes that the upper levels are free of people. However, about midway through the ship, he notes Arrowhawk working at trying to get some children out of a room.

Dark Star diverted his path closer to Arrowhawk's location, he notes combat happening further down in the cargo hold. The two combatants continue fighting and Dark Star sees the normal shaped one fly back, hitting the bulkhead and slipped unmovingly to the floor. Five other figures rummaged through crates, ignoring the fight.

Dark Star continued his search, moving slowly through the ship and letting his senses reach out through the walls. When his senses noticed his fellow hero hitting the wall and slumping to the ground, he quickly changed gears. Someone in there was dangerous and needed to be stopped. Those searching the crates would have to wait. He hoped Hellbound was just unconscious and not in worse condition.

He flashed through the walls in an instant, hands extended before him. As soon as he cleared the wall, he blasted the being with his Graviton Beam. Something that could toss Hellbound like that didn't fall under 'normal human' levels. And he needed to end this quick, or at least buy some time, so he could extend his healing onto the downed hero to ensure he survived.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrowhawk

The door was stuck closed. The damage to the ship must have changed the door frame. Inside voices of children crying. He could hear their soft pounding on the door as well in response to his voice.

With the door jammed, he had to find a way into the room. Taking a step back, Arrowhawk took a moment to assess the area. The door to the nursery was the only one on this side for some distance. Most likely it was a larger room than others on this level of the ship. Using an explosive tip to blast a way through the bulk head would work, but he couldn't be sure the children would stay clear before he used it. He had to find a less flashy way of getting the children out.

Down the hallway, the hero did spot another door that was on the same side. Perhaps that room would provide a way to the children.

The vigilante was frantic now. He dealt in thugs and mobsters, not kids at risk of burning alive. This was wrong. Just wrong. He moved as fast as he could without unduly tiring himself out, running down to the next door and moving to kick it in, prepared to kick it down if that didn't work.

DARK STAR

Dark Star came through the wall and could finally see the situation through his own eyes. The slumped form was none other than Hellbound, unconscious and unmoving.

Standing nearby was the creature that placed him in that condition. It was human in shape but that was about the only thing that could be said about the creature.

It had two arms but one was much larger than the other. The smaller appendage ended not in a hand, but in a club like mass. One of the creautre's legs seemed to pulse unsteadily as it moved at a sluggish gaint towards Hellbound. The other leg appeared normal but occasionally seemed to become translucent.

Dark Star did not hesistate as he let loose a powerful and well placed Graviton Beam. The creature roared in pain. It turned its attention from Hellbound and shot out its club hand towards teh floating figure. The arm went wide burning a hole where it hit the wall.

The sound of battle renewed, brought up the heads of the five men searching the crates. Seeing a new hero on the scene the worked harder.

ARROWHAWK

Arrowhawk quickly reached the side door and with one massive kick, broke the lock revealing a large room. The room was set up with a table and desk as if ready to greet people. The walls were covered in friendly children flavored wall paper, giving a clear indication that it was a part of the nursery in some way. A side door that led in the direction of the children's room was to the left.

Not waiting to figure out the use of the room, Arrowhawk barreled through the new door only to come up short.

The new room was smaller with a few chairs set up before a plate sized window. The window was open to the room beyond it where Arrow hawk could see a large beam had fallen in front of the door that lead out of the room. Toys and debris from the ceiling littered the floor. Arrowhawk's trained eye caught sight of five infants sitting in the debris, crying loudly with shock. Another three children obviously older were trying to gather the younger children and move them back from the small fires within the room. Near one large mass of debries, Arrowhawk could see a six year old holding the hand of someone buried under the rubble. The hand was moving, a clear sign that the owner was still alive and it seemed that whomever it was talking to the child.

A quick look around the room he was in, allowed him to locate a speaker. Turning the device on, he could finally hear the children inside.

Well, at least I got it to leave Hellbound alone for now, he thought to himself as he threw himself backwards. Considering the thing hadn't dropped after his first blast and it had already felled the other hero, Dark Star wasted not time with words. He launched another attackat the thing, hoping to blast it back and away to buy more time. He hated these close quarters. If this didn't work, he'd have to try another tactic...

Dark Star

Again the hero shot out with his Graviton Beam, barely hitting this time. Unfortunately, the creature simply shrugs off the blast this time.

It quick retaliates with its clubbed fist this time hitting but its arm moves harmlessly through Dark Star's insubstantial form.

"Found it!" shouted out one of the clean shavened head men that was rummaging in the crates. His companions, which included 2 red-skinned men with large muscles moved over to help retrieve the item.

Dark Star would have let a breath out, if he breathed, as the arm passed through him. Close one! He glanced over at thoe figures and frowned. Not good. time to try something else. With that he reach out and radically reversed the gravity of the area, but only for the men and the creature.

DARK STAR

Dark Star turned his power on the area, reversing gravity on all of the people in the room except Hellbound and the boxes. As the gravity reverses, the skin heads began floating to the ceiling. Only the one near the item managed to grab a hold of the crate to stop himself from going too far.

The monster also began to drift to the ceiling and in its addled brain, realized that Dark Star was the cause. It sent off a a dazzling blast of light at the hero, but Dark star managed to avert his gaze.

Arrowhawk shouted through at the kids. "I need you to nod or something if you can hear me. I'll need to break the glass, but I'll need you all to stand on the other side of the room so you don't get hurt." In case they couldn't hear him, he made pushing gestures, hoping they'd get the point and move away.

ARROWHAWK

The sudden sound of Arrowhawk's voice brought an immediate reaction to the children. They began looking about, unsure of where the voice was coming from. They're eyes passed over Arrowhawk's position without seeming to see the young hero.

It became clear to him that he was located behind a one-way mirror. The parents could watch their children without being detected. The young six year old by the hand seemed to listen to the person underneath for a while before standing.

"Help me get everyone away form the window! Miss Green says help's coming through the mirror!"

Quickly, the older kids gathered up the younger ones and moved them closer to Miss Green's hand. The area before the window/mirror was now clear for Arrowhawk to enter.

DARK STAR

(corrected post of previous actions.)

Darkstar reversed gravity quickly, sending the monster into the ceiling with tremendous force, but the blow failed to damage it. The small group of skinheads managed to quickly grab hold of the package they were looking for and resisted the force. They still floated slightly in the air though.

The thugs began to use the package as an anchor and shift their way towards the large hole and their speed boat.

The monster roared as it found itself upon the ceiling. It's dazzling attack failed to distrupt Dark Star's concentration.

Dark Star was having some difficulties here. There were simply too many people to keep track of and none were going down. The redskinned individuals were ridiculously strong and the other 'thing' seemed to be rather tough and had abilities of it's own as well. He concentrating, reversing the gravity again, attempting to slam and pin them to the floor.

• 5 weeks later...

DARK STAR

Dark star turns his power on reverse with stunning results. The strange creature hits the floor of the ship. Without the strength to resist Dark Star's power, the creature found itself pinned. Unfortunately for the ship, its corrossive nature begins to quickly eat through the bottom of the ship.

Though the ship is in shallow water, grounded by Dark Star and Scarab's combined power, water still washes into the hold from the hole created by the creature.

The other thugs find themselves also pinned to the ground, unable to move.

Dark Star scowled, keeping them pinned for a moment. Despite the water pouring in around them, he wasn't concerned. They weren't going to drown in a couple inches in the moments this would take. He pulled a tiny fraction of power away, just enough to pick up whatever the device they were so interested in. He tossed it lightly through the door Hellbound had entered from and slammed it closed as well. He turned back to them, reversing the gravity and bringing them slamming up against the ceiling. "Surrender please. I do not enjoy banging you about. And, as you're aware, there is water coming in..."

• 2 weeks later...

DARK STAR

Dark star managed to pull the item away and into the corridor. As he was focused on taking the item out of the room, the red skinned men managed to stand against his power and move back through the opening, leaving their normal companions trapped in the cargo bay.

The sudden shift in gravity again, sends the normals as well as the molten creature to the ceiling again. The collision of which is enough to knock the normal skinheads out. Only the molten creature remained coherent enough to hear the call for surrender.

His response was a blast of searing light aimed at the hero but it fails to hit.

ARROWHAWK

With th ekids pulled back, Arrowhawk fired at the glass. The edge shots were more than enough to weaken the glass and control its destruction. The room way was now opened for the hero to reach the kids and the trapped teacher.

The archer climbs over the broken glass to the children who all seem to begin crying at the sight of their saviour. The level headed six yer old remained by the trapped hand of Miss Green. "You've got ot help get her out, Mister."