[Campaign Idea] Should auld acquaintance be forgot...

Veiled Malice

This is just an idea I came up with today for a little community building. What I propose is ten people submit one post each, in character, about what their characters have done so far over the year, what they hope to do in the upcoming year, any New Year's resolutions they have, etc. Basically, just what they're doing as the clock counts down to the start of the New Year.

I figure each one could be about one page, (Don't force more if it's just not your cup of tea.) but a max of five pages. My idea from there is that they are forwarded via PM to Barnum or Endless Flight (or any ref, really) for consideration and judging. The best ten, one for each second of the "final ten in the year", are then assigned a number that their characters will say while doing something. Sitting in front of a TV with their family, sharing a drink with their significant other, watching the festivities from a nearby rooftop, or sulking forlornly that they have no one to share the countdown with. Then on New Year's Eve, they would be posted in their entirity, from ten to one, following the actions/hopes of the characters.

Hopefully, we can get an even spread of heroes and villains, although there will almost certainly be more of the former than the latter. Note that this idea isn't really a campaign; it's more of a nice way to end the year. I'm just suggesting it now, a full month and half before it would be posted, to give everyone that wants to enter plenty of time to polish their idea before submitting it.

Oh, and I figure if more than one character is in a single post - counting down together at a party, etc - then that would still only count as one second.

What does everyone think?

This is just an idea I came up with today for a little community building. What I propose is ten people submit one post each, in character, about what their characters have done so far over the year, what they hope to do in the upcoming year, any New Year's resolutions they have, etc. Basically, just what they're doing as the clock counts down to the start of the New Year.

I figure each one could be about one page, (Don't force more if it's just not your cup of tea.) but a max of five pages. My idea from there is that they are forwarded via PM to Barnum or Endless Flight (or any ref, really) for consideration and judging. The best ten, one for each second of the "final ten in the year", are then assigned a number that their characters will say while doing something. Sitting in front of a TV with their family, sharing a drink with their significant other, watching the festivities from a nearby rooftop, or sulking forlornly that they have no one to share the countdown with. Then on New Year's Eve, they would be posted in their entirity, from ten to one, following the actions/hopes of the characters.

Hopefully, we can get an even spread of heroes and villains, although there will almost certainly be more of the former than the latter. Note that this idea isn't really a campaign; it's more of a nice way to end the year. I'm just suggesting it now, a full month and half before it would be posted, to give everyone that wants to enter plenty of time to polish their idea before submitting it.

Oh, and I figure if more than one character is in a single post - counting down together at a party, etc - then that would still only count as one second.

I think it's a terrific idea! I don't think it should be limited to just ten, but I think the concept is brilliant. Basically, have everyone write a lengthy post, a vignette if you will, about how their characters are spending the last few seconds (minutes) of the New Year. It wouldn't be a role-play. More like one little scene for each character. I don't mind collecting them all and posting them all at once, or players can post them themselves on New Years eve.

And if you guys want to keep it a competition for the best ten, I'm not ideologically opposed to that either.

I think it's a terrific idea! I don't think it should be limited to just ten, but I think the concept is brilliant. Basically, have everyone write a lengthy post, a vignette if you will, about how their characters are spending the last few seconds (minutes) of the New Year. It wouldn't be a role-play. More like one little scene for each character. I don't mind collecting them all and posting them all at once, or players can post them themselves on New Years eve.

And if you guys want to keep it a competition for the best ten, I'm not ideologically opposed to that either.

Sounds great, VM! SHould make for some very interesting reading, especially from the more villainous among us.

Dr. Dark says:

...and, next year, I just really wanna conquer something, you know? It doesn't have to be big. A small island maybe? Would it be too much asking for an archipelago? Surely I could have an archipelago...

Sounds great, VM! SHould make for some very interesting reading, especially from the more villainous among us.

Dr. Dark says:

...and, next year, I just really wanna conquer something, you know? It doesn't have to be big. A small island maybe? Would it be too much asking for an archipelago? Surely I could have an archipelago...

Dr. Dark says:

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to bump this and to remind all the slow writers out there (like me) to get started on writing you vignette now. I will be granting a "campaign" PP to everyone who participates by writing about a page or more. If more than one of you want to collaborate and co-write your scene, that would be fine too. PM me your finished composition and I will post them on New Years Eve.

I just wanted to bump this and to remind all the slow writers out there (like me) to get started on writing you vignette now. I will be granting a "campaign" PP to everyone who participates by writing about a page or more. If more than one of you want to collaborate and co-write your scene, that would be fine too. PM me your finished composition and I will post them on New Years Eve.

Should be a good way to introduce my character, at the very least.

I think that's a great idea. You may also want to PM a few of the villains (or heroes) here to see if anyone wants to collaborate on this with you. You don't have to, of course, but there have been more than a few players in the chat who were looking for a writing partner for this.

Welcome aboard, BTW. :D