Height: 5'7''

Weight: 150 lbs

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Blue

In Suit:

Height: 6'2''

Weight: 225lbs

Physical Description:

When not in his power suit, Jack is the epitome of your standard every day office cubicle worker (which it just so happens was his job up until about 6 months ago). While wearing the power suit, Reaver is a mix of green black armor and sinewy material binding the plates together. The beam sword that comes out of his right forearm is a bright red color, and can stretch out to about 10 ft. long when swung. It usually remains turned of until Reaver is ready to attack, which makes his attacks somewhat deceptive.

Concept:

Reaver is basically your standard brick character (with some tweaks), that only gets better when you hit him. (and he is good at taking those hits!)

Convoluted background story:

24 and single, Jack has been pretty screwed up by recent events. For the last six months or so he has not been able to keep a steady job, or any sort of semblance of social relationship. Of course, he used to have a job and a girl too. But that was before the meteor hit. Ironically enough, he was driving from his desk job in freedom city to his girlfriend’s house in the suburbs when it happened. a small meteor fell from the sky and struck of all things, his car. For a few seconds, the explosion rocked jack’s world as the car’s engine erupted in a cloud of flames. Thrown from the wreckage, Jack ended up sprawled on the dirt at the side of the road. Not fifty feet away was the meteor. Some time passed by. The road to his girlfriend’s house being the less traveled one, no other cars came by. But before long, Jack was conscious again. Conscious, but in pain. He lay there for a long time simply watching the night sky before he could even move a little bit. After an hour or so, he managed to crawl back to the road, and the wreckage of his car. The meteor was still embedded in the hood of the car. However he noticed something that did not look quite like hydraulic fluid oozing through the wreckage of the car. It had simply pooled there. As soon as he noticed it, the green liquid began to ooze towards him, even though the road sloped the other way. A trail of the ooze approached his position, and simply began to pool in front of him. Jack poked at it with his finger. It wasn’t liquid. It was more of a solidified scummy texture. After he poked it, the pool of green quickly recoiled. It pooled again about a foot away from him. After a few more seconds, a high pitched screech emanated from the pool. It leapt into action. Green tentacles attacked the car, pulling pieces of steel paneling off the frame and seemingly swallowing them. The process took about 20 seconds. Jack looked on in a mix of amazement and horror. After the car was picked clean, a single larger tentacle rose from the puddle. It ‘turned’ if you will to face Jack and threw itself at him. The next few moments were a blinding mix of terror, confusion, and a number of other inexplicable emotions as Jack struggled to keep from being swallowed by the ooze. Jack lost that fight. However swallowed may not be the right words. Taken over is more the like. Because it was not jack that stood after whatever process had been going on was over. It was a creature about Jack’s height and build, except it was wrapped in bits of scrap metal and green sinewy connections. The next set of hours was both a dream and a nightmare. For jack knew what was happening, but not entirely. He was both in control and he wasn’t. He was able to determine a little about what he was wearing however. It seemed it was some sort of alien life form. Although he knew it wasn’t living. He knew because it told him that. He knew that it had taken bits of scrap metal from the car and used to make a sort of protective plating, enhanced by the thing’s own resilience. He knew because it told him that. And he knew that it could cut through almost anything with the three foot long beam of energy that extended from the back of his right hand. He knew because he saw it happen. He saw it happen to trees and to buildings. Then finally after a few minutes, the thing began to lift off the ground. He knew that some of the parts of the car were sufficient to create a sort of lifting engine which had been stored in the feet. It had taken a few extra minutes to get them working however. And soon Jack was flying. The thing took him far from the wreckage of the car. It seemed to have nothing on its mind except for slicing through things with the blade mounted on the arm. It flew this way and that, cutting down trees, and lamp posts, and other random objects. Finally it seemed to have had its fill of the area and it took him to a forest. The next few minutes were a blur. More trees, more cutting, a campsite, a tent, a man, more cutting, blood, blood, blood everywhere. It was over before Jack knew what was happening. Afterwards, Jack felt like he wanted to scream. To his surprise, the section of green stuff that was covering his mouth, opened up. He screamed, and the suit shut again. As he could feel it readying for another take off, a single thought crossed his mind. The first thought that had felt like it had not come from the thing he was wearing. “It listens to me,†he thought. The rocket boots blasted and he shot into the air. “Down!†he thought. Suddenly there was no more thrust, and he plummeted. “Off, off, OFF, OFF, OFF!†he thought and began using his hands to tear at the suit. He could tell that it wanted to stay, but he didn’t want it. He tore it from his body, and it came off in pieces. Struggling to remove it before the rampant pieces that he had thrown to the ground climbed back onto him, he finally managed to remove one very large piece of metal from the chest. The rest of the suit seemed to cling to it. When he threw that piece to the ground, the rest of the suit followed suit. This time, instead of crawling back onto him, it curled up into a tiny little bundle. Top began to blink. A voice in his head said, “I am going to wait, because I know you are going to need me.†That is when he ran. But he must have ran in circles, because he came bursting out into the clearing with the dead man and the suit. Time and again he ran away. Time and again he was back. As the sun began to dawn, he finally broke down. He knelt down next to the bundle, and said, “Look, I can’t find my way out, but you can fly me out. I need you. And I will use you on one condition. No more killing.†The blinking green light on the top of the bundle became a solid green light for a second, and then went back to blinking. “I’ll take that as a yes.†Jack said, and reached for the bundle. It crawled up his arm and covered his body once more. But this time it felt better. This time it allowed him more control. He flew back into the city where he had come from and entered his apartment. “Off,†he told it, and it once again became a bundle. But this time, it remained attached to the back of his right hand. “It looked like a weird green glove,†he thought…The next six months were really hard on jack. It seemed as though the suit had stolen a portion of his conscious. Even though it remained on him, he always itched to have it cover the rest of him. He lost countless jobs because he just couldn’t take it anymore. He would fly away during lunch break and never come back. Or sometimes he just wouldn’t show up in the morning. He would prefer to fly around instead. After losing any job security and a woman because he couldn’t find any time for anything but the suit, he gave up. He began going where the suit told him to. It took him to various places; it would steal things and absorb them. Making them part of the armor and ousting the scrap metal that it had once used. Slowly, the junky parts of the suit were replaced. Now only the joints in the metal were greenish, and the thing could really fly. The suit had stolen, and it had killed, and Jack found that he did not care. He didn’t like it, he just did not care. These days, Jack simply carries on doing whatever he feels like. He doesn’t cause too much trouble, and once in a while, he even feels like apprehending bank robbers. (He keeps the suit from killing them, however.) Recently, Jack has even been seeing what they like to call “Reaver,†on the nightly news. He likes the name, and he likes the attention. Either he listens to what the suit tells him, or he doesn’t. He is in the habit of doing whatever he wants these days.

Notes on play style (and the 'villain[?]' notation)

Jack is a good guy, really he is. Its just that events of late have led him a little *ahem* astray. The Reaver suit tends to be very suggestive. It tells him to do things that are not always in his best interests. however, the suit does have an uncanny knack of knowing just what he needs for survival. Jack usually does his best to resist these urges, but most of the time they get the best of him. Therefore, Jack is a good guy, Reaver not so much. However sometimes Jack's better nature does win out while wearing the suit, and he does perform heroic actions, ... sometimes...

Complications:

Somewhat crazy - Listens to his suit too much for his own good

Stats: 2+0+0+0+6+2 = 10 PP

Str: 12 (+1)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 16 (+3); 10 (+0) out of suit

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 16 (+3)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Combat: 10PP

Attack: +2 [+4 in melee w/ suit]

Grapple: +3 out of suit; +5 in suit, +16 w/ Full Strength

Defense: +3 (+1 flat-footed)

Knockback: -4

Initiative: +8

Saves: 1+0+1 = 2 PP

Toughness: +9 (Absorption 6) w/suit; +0 out of suit

Fortitude: +8 / +1 (+3/+0 con +5/+1 [in suit/out of suit])

Reflex: +0 (+0 Dex, +0 base)

Will: +6 / +4 (+3 Wis, +3/+1 [in suit/out of suit])

Skills: 8r = 2 PP

Acrobatics 0 (+4 w/ suit, +0 normal)

Bluff 2 (+3)

Gather Information 2 (+3)

Notice 2 (+11 w/ suit, +5 normal)

Sense Motive 2 (+11 w/ suit, +5 normal)

Feats: 2 PP

Improved Initiative 2

Acrobatic Bluff

All-out Attack

Attack Focus (Melee) (2)

Move-By-Action

Power Attack

Powers: 75 PP

Device 18 ("The Reaver" - Alien Power Suit; 90pp; Hard to Lose; PFs Indestructible, Restricted 2) [75pp]

Device 18 (The Reaver Suit) PF: Indestructible, Restricted 2 (90pp available)

Corrosion 8 (Extra: Autofire for Damage part; PF: 1 Alternate Power) [33pp]

AP: Enhanced Strength 10 (to 22/+6) AND Super Strength 6 (Effective Strength 52; Lt Load 5.54 tons, Med Load 11.07 tons, Hvy Load 16.64 tons)

Absorption 6 (Healing; Extra: Both Types; PF: 1 Alternate Power) [31pp]

AP: Absorption 6 (Boost Flight; Extra: Both Types)

Enhanced Constitution 6 (to 16/+3) [6pp]

Enhanced Feats 6 [6pp]

--Acrobatic Bluff

--Attack Focus (melee)(2)

--All out Attack

--Move-By-Action

--Power Attack

Enhanced Fortitude 4 [4pp]

Enhanced Skills 4 = 18r [4pp]

--Acrobatics 4r

--Notice 6r

--Sense Motive 6r

Enhanced Will 2 [2pp]

Flight 2 (25 mph / 250 feet) [4pp]

Drawbacks: [2+4 = 6]

* Normal Identity [full round action] [Freq DC 10] [sev DC 15] [-2PP]

* Power Loss (Corrosion and Absorption, when hit by a cold attack or subject to below-freezing temperatures; common; -4pp)

DC Block:

Unarmed -- DC 16/Toughness -- damage

Corrosion -- DC 18/fort (no autofire), then DC 23/toughness (up to +4 with autofire)

Unarmed, Full Strength -- DC 21/Toughness -- Damage

Totals: Attributes (10) + Combat (10) + Saves (02) + Skills (02) + Feats (02) + Powers (75) - Drawbacks (06) = 95 / 95 pps

Notes on drawbacks:

normal identity: like any other one trick pony, reaver is all but screwed when not int the reaver suit. therefore i felt the normal identity was worth -4 points.

power loss: being some sort of strange alien technology (as i am sure this will come up later in RP) the reaver suit becomes sluggish in cold environments and when affected by cold temperatures. i figure cold is a common enough descriptor that it deserves the DC 10 frequency, and the effects of losing ALL of his device powers (which is again most of his character's abilities) would pretty much screw him over entirely, i felt this was again worth the -4 points

Note on powers:

Device:

indestructible: the suit simply repairs any damage to itself over time. this prevents jack from actually having to take care of it.

Restricted: the suit picks its owner, it will not work for anyone other than Jack. (At least not for the time being...)

Physical form: when inactive, the suit takes the form of a small circular plate. It is about the size of a small laptop (the Eee). Commonly jack keeps it in a backpack or briefcase. When he touches the plate a certain way, the suit will begin climbing onto his person. However this process takes a few moments. Sometimes jack takes a moment out of his day to gaze into the backpack or briefcase, and when he does so the Plate emits a soft green glow. The sight comforts him for he knows that he will soon once again be joined with the suit that becomes so much of a part of him.

Corrosion: just to fit the picture i found, jack has learned to manifest two energy blades in the past six months. no rules change.

i am very seriously considering retiring my other pl6 character kerrik to play this guy. he is just plain more interesting. but i figure i might as well wait and see this guy's approval status before i make the final decision on retiring my other character. that way i can still play him while i can.

Stats: 6 PP

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 12(+1)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Adds up.

Combat: 10PP

Attack: +2 [+4 in melee]

Grapple: +2

Defense: +6

Knockback:

Initiative: +1 (+1dex)

Need to add your knockback

Saves: 8 PP

Toughness: +0 (+9 with absorption)

Fortitude: +4 (+0 con)

Reflex: +1 (+1 dex)

Will: +6 (+2 wis)

Need to note your base saves

Skills: 24r = 6 PP

Acrobatics +9 (8 ranks)

Notice +10 (8 ranks)

Sense Motive +10 (8 ranks)

Adds up.

Feats: 6 PP

Acrobatic Bluff

All-out Attack

Attack Focus (Melee) (2)

Power Attack

Takedown Attack (1)

Adds up.

Powers: 62 PP

Device 15 (Hard To Lose, "The Reaver" - Alien Power Suit, 75pp) PF: Indestructible, Restricted

Adds up.

Drawbacks:

Normal Identity [full round action] [Freq DC 10] [sev DC 15] [-4PP]

Power Loss [Power Suit deactivates when hit by cold] [Freq DC 10] [sev DC 15] [-4PP]

Drawbacks are limited to PL.

Device:

indestructible: the suit simply repairs any damage to itself over time. this prevents jack from actually having to take care of it.

Restricted: the suit picks its owner, will only work for those that it feels it can manipulate into doing what it wants. While jack does not like having the suit tell him what to do, he obeys it often enough to qualify for this category

Physical form: when inactive, the suit takes the form of a glove, or a belt buckle, or some small trinket. but is always on jack's person. rarely does a second in the day pass when he checks to make sure he still has it.

Restricted seems more like a complication. Who knows when its gonna change it's mind? Physical form seems more like a Subtle feat that can be activated and deactivated.

edits + stat foo = the following

note that the edits were made within the original post and not within the quotes below. the quotes below still contain much erroneous info.

Adds up.

changed dex to 10 and wis to 16 but should still add up.

Need to add your knockback

done

Need to note your base saves

done

Adds up.

-accrobatics = new set of skills

Adds up.

-acrobatic bluff = new set of feats

Powers: 62 PP

Device 15 (Hard To Lose, "The Reaver" - Alien Power Suit, 75pp) PF: Indestructible, Restricted

Adds up.

cost changed to 64 points for the following

- restricted becomes restricted 2

- added pf subtle as per sand's request at bottom regarding physical description

Drawbacks are limited to PL.

changed descriptors and cost of power loss drawback. its now -2

(normal identity) -4 + (power loss) -2 = -6

Restricted seems more like a complication. Who knows when its gonna change it's mind? Physical form seems more like a Subtle feat that can be activated and deactivated.

changed pfs on device to reflect updated restricted and physical descriptions.

Just tell a Ref. ;)

I have three concerns here.

One, you have way too much Defense. At PL 6 with a trade-off of -3 Defense for +3 Tougnhess you can at most have a Defense of +3. Which, according to the cost, does appear to be what you have, so you just need to change that "+6" in the Defense line to a "+3". ;)

Two, since the suit can morph into a bit of jewelry/belt buckle, etc., and he pretty much never takes it off, then it either shouldn't be a Device (since almost no one would think to take it from him if it's morphed into an inconspicuous thing) or you shouldn't have the Normal Identity drawback (since he's almost never without it).

My third concern is his Array of Absorptions.

First, for the Regen, you need to list what sort of Regen it gives you. (And you could get up to 18 ranks, since Regen is 1pp/rank and Absorptions gives 2pp per +1 damage bonus absorbed.) It won't be a "it gives whatever ranks I need at the time."

Second, is the Invisibility 9 -- be aware that depending on how much damage you absorb, you'll get either invisibility vs. normal vision or vs. all vision.

Third... how/why does it do all that? Some of those make senses/have precedent from comics (Black King can absorb physical impact for Super-Str, Warbird can absorb energy for Flight and Super-Str), but how/why do absorbing physical impact or energy grant invisibility or regeneration?

Just tell a Ref. ;)

I have three concerns here.

One, you have way too much Defense. At PL 6 with a trade-off of -3 Defense for +3 Tougnhess you can at most have a Defense of +3. Which, according to the cost, does appear to be what you have, so you just need to change that "+6" in the Defense line to a "+3". ;)

done

Two, since the suit can morph into a bit of jewelry/belt buckle, etc., and he pretty much never takes it off, then it either shouldn't be a Device (since almost no one would think to take it from him if it's morphed into an inconspicuous thing) or you shouldn't have the Normal Identity drawback (since he's almost never without it).

question: can i make the cold power loss a = -4 drawback? and can i simply reduce the normal identity to a -q

My third concern is his Array of Absorptions.

First, for the Regen, you need to list what sort of Regen it gives you. (And you could get up to 18 ranks, since Regen is 1pp/rank and Absorptions gives 2pp per +1 damage bonus absorbed.) It won't be a "it gives whatever ranks I need at the time."

Second, is the Invisibility 9 -- be aware that depending on how much damage you absorb, you'll get either invisibility vs. normal vision or vs. all vision.

Third... how/why does it do all that? Some of those make senses/have precedent from comics (Black King can absorb physical impact for Super-Str, Warbird can absorb energy for Flight and Super-Str), but how/why do absorbing physical impact or energy grant invisibility or regeneration?

question: can i make the cold power loss a = -4 drawback? and can i simply reduce the normal identity to a -0?

Only if it's the following: Power Loss (Corrosion and Absorption, when hit by a cold attack or subject to below-freezing temperatures; common; -4pp)

the reason that the reaver suit absorbs so much is because of the following: what i have planned out in roleplaying him in the future is that the suit and the suit's ulterior motives actually have directive.

That.... doesn't really answer my question.

okay i changed the power loss drawback. also edited the cost of the normal identity drawback

as for your question, my bad, i don't think the answer i gave really even makes sense as far as sentences go. what i had meant to say was that as a piece of alien technology the reaver suit is far advanced. Its main purpose is basically to be super adaptive. so much so that it is constantly adapting to it's surroundings. This means that it is very good at dealing with harmful effects (other than cold). It takes in the energy that these harmful effects create, and uses that to fuel new abilities that may help it better deal with any obstacles.

the part about something coming up in roleplaying that i was talking about is that i plan to further explain stuff in character.

okay i changed the power loss drawback. also edited the cost of the normal identity drawback

He shouldn't have Normal ID at all, since he never takes the thing off. (I'm almost tempted to say that since his seems similar in ways to Megstar from Next Gen, he should be done like that, no Device but Normal ID.)

as for your question, my bad, i don't think the answer i gave really even makes sense as far as sentences go. what i had meant to say was that as a piece of alien technology the reaver suit is far advanced. Its main purpose is basically to be super adaptive. so much so that it is constantly adapting to it's surroundings. This means that it is very good at dealing with harmful effects (other than cold). It takes in the energy that these harmful effects create, and uses that to fuel new abilities that may help it better deal with any obstacles.

I guess that'll work. (Though if it is so adaptive, why doesn't it have Absorption [both Types] instead of the Array? ;) )

You still need to 'spell out' what sort of Regen he gains, and in what order he gains it. (If he sticks his hand in a burning trashcan, a Damage 2 effect, what sort of Regen would he get?)

(I'm almost tempted to say that since his seems similar in ways to Megstar from Next Gen, he should be done like that, no Device but Normal ID.)

who?

I guess that'll work. (Though if it is so adaptive, why doesn't it have Absorption [both Types] instead of the Array? ;) )

yea... about that... totally could not afford that... i already spent an exorbitant amount of points on the suit for a pl6 char. im working on it though. its the first thing on my list to buy :D

You still need to 'spell out' what sort of Regen he gains, and in what order he gains it. (If he sticks his hand in a burning trashcan, a Damage 2 effect, what sort of Regen would he get?)

Regen3 bruise [no action] Regen6 staggered [no action] etc...(at least i think those are the ranks. basically i am looking for it to walk down the regen chart making him recover from each damage condition in succession with no action. im not at my actual computer at the moment, so its difficult for me to actually spell it out right now explicitly. I'll get right on that asap, but for now this is just so you understand what im trying to do with the char.

as for not having normal identity at all...

i don't know if i can shave two more points from anywhere in the rest of the char at this point. how about i just adjust the background story to say the following?

instead of wearing it on his person as some sort of trinket, maybe he just keeps it on his dresser in his house/appt. that way it really is a normal identity since he would have to run home just to put his suit on?

who?

Sorry, I keep assuming everyone has the Freedom City campaign setting book :P . Kid, he's in the Next Gen, bonded to an alien device. When inactive, it's a silvery tattoo on his arm. When active, he gets bigger (normally he's a kid, when active he looks like an adult), stronger, tougher, and can fly. It's not a Device, but he does have the Normal ID drawback (since it takes time for the thing to activate).

Regen3 bruise [no action] Regen6 staggered [no action] etc...(at least i think those are the ranks. basically i am looking for it to walk down the regen chart making him recover from each damage condition in succession with no action. im not at my actual computer at the moment, so its difficult for me to actually spell it out right now explicitly. I'll get right on that asap, but for now this is just so you understand what im trying to do with the char.

Okay, that'll work, just spell it out once you get the chance.

as for not having normal identity at all...

i don't know if i can shave two more points from anywhere in the rest of the char at this point. how about i just adjust the background story to say the following?

instead of wearing it on his person as some sort of trinket, maybe he just keeps it on his dresser in his house/appt. that way it really is a normal identity since he would have to run home just to put his suit on?

That'd work. Actually, I'd say he could carry it in a backback, like Tony Stark would carry his IM suit in a briefcase.

normally he's a kid, when active he looks like an adult), stronger, tougher, and can fly. It's not a Device, but he does have the Normal ID drawback (since it takes time for the thing to activate

yea that was kinda what i was going for.... but there is no way in hell i would be able to afford the features that i want without using Device. :/ its not that im trying to exploit device with this guy... its just that i wanted a suit with certain features, and those things are pretty expensive...

(aside: i statted out a PL10 version of this guy recently... 112PP were spent on the suit alone :P)

Okay, that'll work, just spell it out once you get the chance.

ill make the edit as soon as i get home.

That'd work. Actually, I'd say he could carry it in a backback, like Tony Stark would carry his IM suit in a briefcase.

yea i could do that. i almost refuse to believe that Anthony Edward Stark is able to carry that thing around in a friggen briefcase. :P

i think i will do backpack/briefcase, whatever is appropriate for the time. that way he can open the case up and just gaze at it from time to time. and that way the briefcase can glow like in pulp fiction. :P if i do this, though, does the suit still need the PF subtle?