Captain XcTlthRys (aka Captain Mantis) - PL 13 NPC - Tier 1

Captain Xc’Tlth’Rys (space bug pirate) PL 13

The Captain is almost five and a half feet tall. He mostly resembles a giant humanoid preying mantis.

The Captain is a space pirate and a pretty good one at that. He is quick and agile but still avoids combat when he can. That’s what he crew of aliens is for… He is clever and devious (to some extent) and plans his attacks whenever possible. He tries fear and intimidation whenever he can instead of direct conflict (saves him money). He is not rash or impulsive. He is confident and arrogant but not foolishly so. He is cruel and merciless and will have no difficulty with ending anyone’s life (especially if it profits him in some way). And he is often for hire, working for someone else, doing the dirty jobs. This also gives some rather impressive connections.

He is a villain for use in various space adventures far from Earth. Anyone is free to use him. Like many typical villains, he is likely to return again even after the heroes were certain to have killed him.

Trade-off +0 / -0 (none)

Stats 20

STR 8 / -1

DX 14 / +2

CON 20 / +5

INT 14 / +2

WIS 12 / +1

CHA 12 / +1

Attack +6

Defense +10 (+6 base; +3 Flat Footed)

Grapple +5

Knockback -5

Initiative +10

Toughness +10 (Impervious)

Fortitude +8 (+5 Con, +3)

Reflex +8 (+2 DX, +6)

Will +8 (+1 Wis, +7)

Skills 13

Bluff +8 (+9)

Diplomacy +4 (+9)

Intimidate +8 (+9)

Notice +8 (+9)

Pilot +8 (+10)

Search +8 (+10)

Sense Motive +8 (+9)

Feats 48

Connected 1

Dodge Focus x4 4

Elusive Target 1

Equipmentt: Spaceship 23

Equipment (Spacesuit) 2

Evasion x2 2

Improved Initiative x2 2

Leadership 1

Luck x2 2

Master Plan 1

Minion 9 (50 60pp mins)

Power 74

Comprehend (Language; Speak & Understand all) x2 [4pp]

Confuse (Flaw: Eye Contact) x10 [9pp]

Mind Control (Conscious; Flaw: Sight Dependant) x5 [15pp]

Protection (Impervious) x5 [10pp]

Impervious Toughness [5pp]

Regeneration (Resurrection) [1pp]

Speed x1 (10mph) [1pp]

Super Movement (Wall-Crawling) x2 [4pp]

Super Sense (Blindsight; ‘vibrations’) [4pp]

Device 5 (easy to loose; Pistol) [15pp]

- Blaster (Blast x8 (Extra: Penetrating; Feat: Restricted to Race))

Device 2 (easy to loose; Sword) [6pp]

- Energy Sword (Strike x5 (extra: Penetrating))

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

(Name of Attack) (Save DC/Type) (Type of Damage: Bruise/Injury, or other)

Blaster ?/Toughness ?

Energy Sword ?/Toughness ?

The Star’s Plunder: Colossal Size, Strength 100, Toughness 15, Speed 12, Defense 5, Powers: Blast 12 (energy cannons), Blast 12 (energy torpedoes, Explosion, Homing; Alternate Power: tractor beam, Telekinesis 12, Perception range), Immunity 9 (life support), Space Travel 12 (Alternate Power of Flight Speed)

Costs: Abilities (20) + Combat (24) + Saves (16) + Skills (13) + Feats (50) + Powers (72) - Drawbacks (00) = 195

Minions (various alien species)

Stats 14

STR 16 / +3

DX 12 / +1

CON 16 / +3

INT 10

WIS 10

CHA 10

Attack +4

Defense +4

Toughness +4 (1 is impervious) (+3 without armor)

Fortitude +4 (+3)

Reflex +4 (+1)

Will +2

Skills 7

Computers +2

Craft (Mechanical) +4

Intimidate +4

Knowledge (Streetwise) + 4

Notice +4

Pilot (Space) +4 (+5)

Profession +4

Language (Lor, Grue)

Feats 5

Equipment 4 (Armor (+1 Toughness; Extras: Impervious), commlink, space-suit (life-support))

Environmental Adaptation (Low/Zero Gravity)

Power 12

Device 2 (easy to loose; Pistol) [6pp]

- Blaster (Blast x5)

- Energy Sword (Strike (extra: Penetrating) x5)

DC Block:

Blaster ?/Toughness ?

Costs: Abilities (14) + Combat (16) + Saves (6) + Skills (7) + Feats (5) + Powers (12) - Drawbacks (00) = 60

The Captain is almost five and a half feet tall. He mostly resembles a giant humanoid preying mantis.

The Captain is a space pirate and a pretty good one at that. He is quick and agile but still avoids combat when he can. That’s what he crew of aliens is for… He is clever and devious (to some extent) and plans his attacks whenever possible. He tries fear and intimidation whenever he can instead of direct conflict (saves him money). He is not rash or impulsive. He is confident and arrogant but not foolishly so. He is cruel and merciless and will have no difficulty with ending anyone’s life (especially if it profits him in some way). And he is often for hire, working for someone else, doing the dirty jobs. This also gives some rather impressive connections.

He is a villain for use in various space adventures far from Earth. Anyone is free to use him. Like many typical villains, he is likely to return again even after the heroes were certain to have killed him.

Now, before I being here I would like to apologize for the comparative roughness of the following post; it's getting late and I'm to tired to spruce it up to the standards I've employed earlier when acting as Referee.

Right, first off I would like to ask you to actually follow the template for the sake of convenience for everyone involved; the less misunderstandings that arise from format the better.

This means including things like background and description in the first post, or at the very least noting that they're located in the second one you've made.

You haven't noted what Trade-offs, if any, you've made, please do so.

The following from the Character Creation Template is simply missing.

DC Block:

ATTACKS:                     SAVE DC:             DAMAGE TYPE:

(Name of Attack)          (Save DC/Type)       (Type of Damage: Bruise/Injury, or other)

For example:

Blast 10                    25/Toughness         Bruise (Staged)

alternatively

Blast 10 --- 25/Toughness --- Bruise (Staged)

Costs: Abilities (00) + Combat (00) + Saves (00) + Skills (00) + Feats (00) + Powers (00) - Drawbacks (00) = Total Cost

Feats 50 (Should be bolded)

Spaceship 23

Minion 9 (50 60pp mins)

Leadership 1

Master Plan 1

Luck x2 2

Connected 1

Equipment (Spacesuit) 2

Improved Initiative x2 2

Dodge Focus x4 4

Elusive Target 1

Evasion x2 2

Fearsome Presence x2 2

Please arrange your Feats in alphabetical order; it'll help with getting things sorted out.

Bluff +8

Diplomacy +4

Intimidate +8

Notice +8

Pilot +8

Search +8

Sense Motive +8

Your Skills need to note what their total bonus is, not just their ranks.

Attack +6

Defense +10 (+3 Flat Footed)

Grapple +5

Knockback -5

Initiative +10

Just how does he manage to spend 40pp there?

Comprehend (Language) [2pp]

Can he speak any one language at a time, understand any language or read any language?

How do you get 10 ranks of a 1pp/rank power (after adding Perception Range [Extra] and Sense-Dependent (Sight) [Flaw]) for 9pp?

(adding Impervious to Toughness) [5pp]

Best simply put as Impervious Toughness 5

What 'reasonably common effect (or set of uncommon effects)' keeps him from getting his recovery roll after a week?

That's it for tonight, I'd probably find more to poke if I wasn't so tired. Do see what you can do about this for now and I'll look it over again tomorrow.

Apologies, I always forget to format it for some reason.

Made the various changes. The bottom combat piece I wasn't sure of, so not sure what to put there...

Couple questions though:

]

How do you get 10 ranks of a 1pp/rank power (after adding Perception Range [Extra] and Sense-Dependent (Sight) [Flaw]) for 9pp?

I don't understand. In the basic book, it's range says Perception. Do I need to put in an extra for that?

What 'reasonably common effect (or set of uncommon effects)' keeps him from getting his recovery roll after a week?

I put the resurrection in to reflect the concept of a villain coming back even when assumed to be dead. Figured it'd work if there was even a slight chance of him surviving no matter how small. Not sure how to put that in. Suggestions?

Apologies once more for my errors.

I don't understand. In the basic book, it's range says Perception. Do I need to put in an extra for that?

Yes, in the basic book it says Range: Perception but in Ultimate Power (which is stated as the source followed here in the Game Rules, section 3 under Character Creation Guidelines in case you're interested) it is stated as being Ranged with Perception as an extra. Now, the Flaw: Sense-Dependent (in this case the visual sense) requires that the power be Perception range to begin with so the cost evens out at 1pp/rank.

I put the resurrection in to reflect the concept of a villain coming back even when assumed to be dead. Figured it'd work if there was even a slight chance of him surviving no matter how small. Not sure how to put that in. Suggestions?

Ah, leaving it up to the refs is practically always a valid option when it comes to NPCs, at least when it comes 'plot powers' such as this.

Now, before I forget. I take it, based on the points expenditure, that the Spaceship is of the Battleship variety from the Basic Book. If such is the case then Captain Mantis will need to have Trade-off: -2 Attack +2 DC to account for the weaponry of his craft.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delays. I hope to get your character looked at and ready for the second approval as quickly as possible. I'll try to cover everything in one post to help speed things along.

Trade-off +0 / -0 (none)

Okay, here please follow the standard format by placing the following information above the Trade-Off section.

Power Level: PL 13

Trade-Off: -2 Defense/ +2 Toughness

Stats 20

STR 8 / -1

DX 14 / +2

CON 20 / +5

INT 14 / +2

WIS 12 / +1

CHA 12 / +1

Adds up. I assume the lower str is due to fighting in space. A nice touch.

Attack +6

Defense +10 (+6 base; +3 Flat Footed)

Grapple +5

Knockback -5

Initiative +10

Adds up.

EDIT: Even with your Trade off to Toughness and Defense, there is no need for a change to your Defense as you are not breaking caps.

Toughness +10 (Impervious)

Fortitude +8 (+5 Con, +3)

Reflex +8 (+2 DX, +6)

Will +8 (+1 Wis, +7)

Looks good so far.

EDIT: Looking at your powers, you would have a Toughness save of +15(Imprevious). This needs to be written here.

Skills 13

Bluff +8 (+9)

Diplomacy +4 (+9)

Intimidate +8 (+9)

Notice +8 (+9)

Pilot +8 (+10)

Search +8 (+10)

Sense Motive +8 (+9)

Skills check out. though for a pirate sitting at PL13, his bluff sure is low. :D

Feats 48

Connected 1

Dodge Focus x4 4

Elusive Target 1

Equipmentt: Spaceship 23

Equipment (Spacesuit) 2

Evasion x2 2

Improved Initiative x2 2

Leadership 1

Luck x2 2

Master Plan 1

Minion 9 (50 60pp mins)

Okay, have you reviewed the new rules on minions? Here is the important part that you need to fix off the bat.

5. There will be a limit of Progression power feat and the PL of the minions you can Summon or have via the Minion feat. You can Summon/have one minion at your PL, 2 minions (Progression 1) at up to [your PL -2], 3-5 minions (Progression 2) at up to [your PL-4], 6-10 minions at up to [your PL -6], and 11-25 minions at up to [our PL-8]. Thus, a PL 10 character could have/summon 1 PL 10 minion, or 2 PL 8 minions, or 3-5 PL 6 minions, or 6-11 PL 4 Minions, or 12-25 PL 2 minions. EXCEPTIONS: The Components summoned by Gestalt are limited to one-half the PL of the combined Gestalt entity. as described in the power. Also, you may not use the Progression feat to increase the number of Sidekicks you have.

So you can't have 50 minions with 60pps. That's got to change which would then free up a lot of pps for you.

Power 74

Comprehend (Language; Speak & Understand all) x2 [4pp]

Confuse would cost 10pp, not 9pp. Making it 1pp/rank. At ten ranks, that would 10pps.

Mind Control (Conscious; Flaw: Sight Dependant) x5 [15pp]

What do you mean by Conscious? Do you mean concentration duration?

Protection (Impervious) x5 [10pp]

Impervious Toughness [5pp]

This means you would have a Toughness save of +15, but you did not list having any trade offs. Are you going with the +2Toughness/ -2 Defense trade off? If so you need to list that at the top in the trade off section and change your toughness total to +15 (Imprevious).

Speed x1 (10mph) [1pp]

Super Movement (Wall-Crawling) x2 [4pp]

Super Sense (Blindsight; ‘vibrations’) [4pp]

These look good.

Device 5 (easy to loose; Pistol) [15pp]

- Blaster (Blast x8 (Extra: Penetrating; Feat: Restricted to Race))

Would be nice to let us know what his Race is afterall. As you have it listed, you only mention that he looks like a preying mantis. :D

Now to formatting. The PF:Restricted to Race should be on the Device line, not within the Blast line. This changes the cost of the device to a total of 16pps, not 15pps.

That gives you 25pps of abilities in the device. (rank 5 x 5pps=25pps).

Blast 8 (Extra:Penetrating) costs 24pps which leaves you with 1pp in your device. A suggestion would be to include the Precise power feat to allow him the ability to do fine cutting and so forth. A must for a space character with a blast power in my opinion.

Also, what kind of blast is it? Energy or projectile? If energy, what kind?

- Energy Sword (Strike x5 (extra: Penetrating))

Looks good here as well.

DC Block:

Blaster ?/Toughness ?

The Blaster would be DC 23 Toughness Penetrating [energy type].

The Sword would be DC 20 Toughness Penetrating [energy type].

The Star’s Plunder: Colossal Size, Strength 100, Toughness 15, Speed 12, Defense 5, Powers: Blast 12 (energy cannons), Blast 12 (energy torpedoes, Explosion, Homing; Alternate Power: tractor beam, Telekinesis 12, Perception range), Immunity 9 (life support), Space Travel 12 (Alternate Power of Flight Speed)

As you took this straight from the book, I have no problems with it.

Costs: Abilities (20) + Combat (24) + Saves (16) + Skills (13) + Feats (50) + Powers (72) - Drawbacks (00) = 195

So once the above points are fixed, the main guy will not be a problem.

Minions (various alien species)

Stats 14

STR 16 / +3

DX 12 / +1

CON 16 / +3

INT 10

WIS 10

CHA 10

Attack +4

Defense +4

Toughness +4 (1 is impervious) (+3 without armor)

Fortitude +4 (+3)

Reflex +4 (+1)

Will +2

Skills 7

Computers +2

Craft (Mechanical) +4

Intimidate +4

Knowledge (Streetwise) + 4

Notice +4

Pilot (Space) +4 (+5)

Profession +4

Language (Lor, Grue)

Feats 5

Equipment 4 (Armor (+1 Toughness; Extras: Impervious), commlink, space-suit (life-support))

Environmental Adaptation (Low/Zero Gravity)

Power 12

Device 2 (easy to loose; Pistol) [6pp]

- Blaster (Blast x5)

- Energy Sword (Strike (extra: Penetrating) x5)

DC Block:

Blaster ?/Toughness ?

Costs: Abilities (14) + Combat (16) + Saves (6) + Skills (7) + Feats (5) + Powers (12) - Drawbacks (00) = 60

This all changes dues to the latest rules on Minions for characters. Once you have decided how you're going to change them, I'll look at the minions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...