Players Name: Toptomcat

Power Level: 6

Characters Name: Jacky 'The Iron Horse' Baldini

Alternate Identity: None

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 190 lb

Hair: Black

Eyes: Brown

Description: Jacky is a fantastically fit man in his early thirties, with the big, defined upper body of a heavyweight boxer in his prime.

History: The history of boxing is filled with 'greats'- Mohammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Jack Dempsey...men recognized as titans of the sport. However, while there are many 'greats', there are remarkably few 'bests'. Was Joe Louis the hardest hitter of all time? Mohammad Ali, the fastest heavyweight? Roy Jones Jr. the best pound-for-pound fighter? None can say- for every amazing boxer, there's another of a different generation with just as much to reccomend them. However, there is one fighter who is almost universally recognized as having been the very best in history at doing one thing. Jacky 'The Iron Horse' Baldini could take a beating like no other man alive. His record was not undefeated, but he was beaten by only the very best; even his losses were recognized by his opponents and the crowds that watched him as incredible displays of fighting spirit and sheer heart. In the first professional fight of his career, in 1975, he stepped in as a local alternative when a boxer scheduled to face Mohammad Ali recieved a training injury. Against all odds, Baldini knocked the champion down in the first round, and proceeded to 'go the distance' in a fifteen-round war that put him on the map and endeared him to the American public. The fight went to a split decision, narrowly awarded to Ali. This kicked off a career of incredible length and distinction; of particular note was his 1980s victory against Drago "The Soviet Superman" Ivanovitch- later proved to be a literal superhuman- his heroic loss of the title to Mike Tyson and unbelievable regaining of it a mere two months later, and his semiretirement, interrupted by another epic, coruageous loss- an unbelievable exhibition match against Evander Holyfield in which he proved that his sheer will could overcome the handicap of a sixty-year old physique. He moved to Freedom City and retired from boxing for good in 2000, a satisfied old man with absolutely nothing else to prove.

Then, one day, a miracle happened. The aged Baldini was caught in the crossfire of a battle between the Freedom League and an alternate version of the time-traveling reformed Nazi Dr. Tomorrow- this one not so reformed. Caught on the fringes of a time dialation blast intended to de-age Lady Liberty into infancy, he was restored to the prime of his youth. A devout Roman Catholic, he saw this astonishing boon as a gift from God that is to be used for the good as all, and has chosen to abandon the world of boxing- what more does he have to prove there, after all- and emulate the superhuman champions that indirectly caused his rebirth and start cleaning up the slums of South Freedom.

Stats:

Str: 18 (+4)

Dex: 16 (+3)

Con: 18 (+4)

Int: 8 (-1)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 16 (+3)

BAB: +2 (+4 melee) (+8 unarmed)

BDB: +2 (+4 w/Dodge Focus, +1 flat-footed)

Initiative: +3

Saves:

Toughness: +8 (+4 flat-footed)

Fortitude: +11

Reflex: +10

Will: +6

Skills:

Bluff 11 ranks, +3 Cha, +14 total

Intimidate 2 ranks, +3 Cha, +5 total

Sense Motive 11 ranks, +2 Wis, +13 total

Feats:

Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Attack Focus [Melee] 2, Attack Specialization [unarmed] 2, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Dodge Focus 2, Improved Defense, Improved Critical [unarmed], Power Attack, Second Chance [Toughness saves vs Unarmed], Stunning Attack, Ultimate Effort [Toughness Saves], Fearless

Powers:

Up Before the Ten-Count

Regeneration 2 (Unconcious, 1 round; Staggered, 1 round)

Flaw: Tiring. Instead is Unreliable for unconciousness brought on by fatigue.

Power Feat: Innate

Fighting Spirit

Boost 4, 3-point version- affects all physical ability scores

Flaw- Personal

Flaw- Limited- applies only against opponents of a higher PL

Costs: Abilities (30) + Combat (08) + Saves (18) + Skills (06) + Feats (21) + Powers (07) - Drawbacks (00) = 90

Possible Complications:

Enemy: The Time Keepers or other 'enforcers' of continuity might possibly object to the casuality-defying means of Jacky's rebirth, seeking to return him to a decrepit old man.

Fame: Jacky Baldini is one of the most famous boxers in history. Though he hasn't made his return to his physical prime public, it could make for a large number of "WTF?" moments when people hear of someone who looks exactly like a famed 70-80s boxer cleaning up the streets. Those who think too much could go looking for what's making the illusion, or why someone made a Jackie Baldini robot, or have any number of other potential misunderstandings.

I had a lot of ideas for my PL 6 character, but I eventually settled on a pastiche of Ted Grant and Rocky Balboa. I hope the PL-breaking Boost is all right.

Description: Jacky is a fantastically fit man in his early thirties, with the big, defined upper body of a heavyweight boxer in his prime.

History: The history of boxing is filled with 'greats'- Mohammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Jack Dempsey...men recognized as titans of the sport. However, while there are many 'greats', there are remarkably few 'bests'. Was Joe Louis the hardest hitter of all time? Mohammad Ali, the fastest heavyweight? Roy Jones Jr. the best pound-for-pound fighter? None can say- for every amazing boxer, there's another of a different generation with just as much to reccomend them. However, there is one fighter who is almost universally recognized as having been the very best in history at doing one thing. Jacky 'The Iron Horse' Baldini could take a beating like no other man alive. His record was not undefeated, but he was beaten by only the very best; even his losses were recognized by his opponents and the crowds that watched him as incredible displays of fighting spirit and sheer heart. In the first professional fight of his career, in 1975, he stepped in as a local alternative when a boxer scheduled to face Mohammad Ali recieved a training injury. Against all odds, Baldini knocked the champion down in the first round, and proceeded to 'go the distance' in a fifteen-round war that put him on the map and endeared him to the American public. The fight went to a split decision, narrowly awarded to Ali. This kicked off a career of incredible length and distinction; of particular note was his 1980s victory against Drago "The Soviet Superman" Ivanovitch- later proved to be a literal superhuman- his heroic loss of the title to Mike Tyson and unbelievable regaining of it a mere two months later, and his semiretirement, interrupted by another epic, coruageous loss- an unbelievable exhibition match against Evander Holyfield in which he proved that his sheer will could overcome the handicap of a sixty-year old physique. He moved to Freedom City and retired from boxing for good in 2000, a satisfied old man with absolutely nothing else to prove.

Then, one day, a miracle happened. The aged Baldini was caught in the crossfire of a battle between the Freedom League and an alternate version of the time-traveling reformed Nazi Dr. Tomorrow- this one not so reformed. Caught on the fringes of a time dialation blast intended to de-age Lady Liberty into infancy, he was restored to the prime of his youth. A devout Roman Catholic, he saw this astonishing boon as a gift from God that is to be used for the good as all, and has chosen to abandon the world of boxing- what more does he have to prove there, after all- and emulate the superhuman champions that indirectly caused his rebirth and start cleaning up the slums of South Freedom.

Stats:

Saves:

Skills:

Feats:

Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Attack Focus [Melee] 2, Attack Specialization [unarmed] 2, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Dodge Focus 2, Improved Defense, Improved Critical [unarmed], Power Attack, Second Chance [Toughness saves vs Unarmed], Stunning Attack, Ultimate Effort [Toughness Saves], Fearless

Powers:

Up Before the Ten-Count

Fighting Spirit

Flaw- Personal

Costs: Abilities (30) + Combat (08) + Saves (18) + Skills (06) + Feats (21) + Powers (07) - Drawbacks (00) = 90

Possible Complications:

Enemy: The Time Keepers or other 'enforcers' of continuity might possibly object to the casuality-defying means of Jacky's rebirth, seeking to return him to a decrepit old man.

Fame: Jacky Baldini is one of the most famous boxers in history. Though he hasn't made his return to his physical prime public, it could make for a large number of "WTF?" moments when people hear of someone who looks exactly like a famed 70-80s boxer cleaning up the streets. Those who think too much could go looking for what's making the illusion, or why someone made a Jackie Baldini robot, or have any number of other potential misunderstandings.

I had a lot of ideas for my PL 6 character, but I eventually settled on a pastiche of Ted Grant and Rocky Balboa. I hope the PL-breaking Boost is all right.

Stats:

Saves:

Skills:

Feats:

Powers:

Up Before the Ten-Count

Fighting Spirit

Flaw- Personal

Possible Complications:

One quick question from me:

Up Before the Ten-Count

Is your regeneration Tiring and Unreliable, or just Unreliable on certain applications (fatigue) of the 1 rank devoted to the Unconscious condition? If it is the latter then it probably isn't a Flaw. It is probably a drawback. With so few ranks, the cost savings will be the same, but it will be important to distinguish as the character grows and you add ranks to this power.

And for the record, I don't think we should allow Boost powers to break PL ever, but I will admit that this is a very reasonable use of the Boost power: very limited circumstances, very low power level, and bought without the slow fade power feat. The Refs are discussing the subject right now. We will hopefully have an answer for you soon.

Up Before the Ten-Count

Is your regeneration Tiring and Unreliable, or just Unreliable on certain applications (fatigue) of the 1 rank devoted to the Unconscious condition? If it is the latter then it probably isn't a Flaw. It is probably a drawback. With so few ranks, the cost savings will be the same, but it will be important to distinguish as the character grows and you add ranks to this power.

And for the record, I don't think we should allow Boost powers to break PL ever, but I will admit that this is a very reasonable use of the Boost power: very limited circumstances, very low power level, and bought without the slow fade power feat. The Refs are discussing the subject right now. We will hopefully have an answer for you soon.

Up Before the Ten-Count

It's just there as a 'special effect', to cover a situation in which Tiring will create an infinite loop: Jacky will fall unconcious due to fatigue, then get back up because the unconciousness has been regenerated, then fall unconcious due to fatigue, ad infinitum.

I don't want any points for it.

It's just there as a 'special effect', to cover a situation in which Tiring will create an infinite loop: Jacky will fall unconcious due to fatigue, then get back up because the unconciousness has been regenerated, then fall unconcious due to fatigue, ad infinitum.

Not an archive, but I'll be happy to give you a synopsis.

Boost is a very cheap way to break PL (if we let it). For about 6 PPs you can boost your main attack by +5 and slow fade it so that it will last the duration of the entire combat (and then some). When combined with Power Attack (as, of course, it will be), it is even more of a game breaker. There's no reason *not* to do it. That said, no one here (GMs, Refs, or other players) has to join/run a thread with a boosted character in it, so if it does become a problem, it will be a self-correcting one. So, the choices being discussed now are:

1. Not allow boost to break PL.

2. Limit how much boost can break PL.

3. Limit how much any Save DC can break PL (so if we limit it to PL +5, then you can't boost +2 and Power Attack +5. You can only boost +2 and Power Attack +3).

4. Both 2 and 3.

Boost is a very cheap way to break PL (if we let it). For about 6 PPs you can boost your main attack by +5 and slow fade it so that it will last the duration of the entire combat (and then some). When combined with Power Attack (as, of course, it will be), it is even more of a game breaker. There's no reason *not* to do it. That said, no one here (GMs, Refs, or other players) has to join/run a thread with a boosted character in it, so if it does become a problem, it will be a self-correcting one. So, the choices being discussed now are:

3. Limit how much any Save DC can break PL (so if we limit it to PL +5, then you can't boost +2 and Power Attack +5. You can only boost +2 and Power Attack +3).

4. Both 2 and 3.

4. Both 2 and 3.

• 1 month later...