Player Away Thread

Barnum

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the malware won't let you open your browser until you pay a fee, there's a problem with downloading software.

if you have a smartphone, you can download the app there. You'll likely have a way to connect your phone to your computer's USB port and transfer the installer.

Another option would be to go to your local library, download it onto a flash drive and bring it home. Ask Doc how wonderful libraries are! ;)

Windows 7 is pretty good. I just skipped Vista entirely and went from XP to 7, and so far 7 holds up as well as XP did.

I really can't recommend enough that, finances permitting, you (and everybody else) acquire an external hard drive and backup your data on a regular basis. I got a 500gig USB drive for around $90 a couple years ago, and it was the best computer-related money I ever spent, hands-down. It really takes a load off your mind to know that, should the worst happen and things go totally tits-up, you can always just reformat your drive because all your documents/bookmarks/etc. are saved on a separate drive.

Barring that, I've found that at least keeping my operating system and software on a separate hard drive (or, at least, a separate partition) from my documents (including pics, songs, videos, etc.) works as a great first line of defense. Again, even if you wind up having to reformat and reinstall, at least your data is safe. (Of course, it should go without saying that anything being copied to the separate drive or partition should be thoroughly inspected first.)

I know I’m still new but I’ll have some shaky activity over the next week. My great aunt died today, so we’ll be preparing for her funeral this Wednesday, So I’ll be catering to family from the Caribbean and North America. It’s also my reading week this week, what you lot call “spring break†, so I’ll have some time to work on my character(s).

Sorry I was away all weekend. I was at the Dreamation Convention in North Jersey. I'm getting back into the swing of things now. However you should expect some delay, as I am still working on a project at work AND we'll be getting a new employee tomorrow who I will have to begin training.

Sorry about not letting you know ahead of time, things have been rather hectic lately. But I'll be back as soon as I can.