Player Away Thread

Barnum

Work has hit me pretty hard the second half of this week. Combine that with the multitude of events both on and off campus that I need to get myself to...

Expect delays. I'm going to do my best not to hold up any collaborative threads like MITS, etc. However, I am putting all one-on-one threads, and threads I'm running on hold until I can put my real life back into the hole it suddenly reared its ugly head from.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't worry about holding up MiTS. I do that fine by myself. Speaking of, expect a few more delays. I got a a few papers, exams and a job interview in the next couple of days. Expect moar delays from me. Sorry. But this is the reason I started the Invasion early.

Just an update on my away status. Sorry I've been gone most of this weekend. It was rather busy. I have a pile of work that needs to get taken care of monday/tuesday so I might not manage to be on then either (Or I will be spotty). But I will be sure to make my triumphant return as soon as possible.

On a side note. I saw KICK ASS tonight, and it was awesome.

Hey, um... I've been busy elsewhere and all that, so I haven't been in here for ages. I can't even remember the last time I was here.

Probably due to a rule confusion with my character led to me leaving for awhile. But I've been busy, as I told you. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4718255/1/Power_of_the_Mind# This is the main reason I was away. Feel free to read if you wish.

But, I am thinking of coming back, with the Spartan. Just need, to uh... poke my elder sibling into making those upgrades and then I'm pretty much set for returning. Oh, also just need to read up on the rules again.

What were you confused about?

Well, if I recall correctly, it was more of an argument whether or not the Spartan would have to kill an opponent. Despite a lot of justifying reasons at the time, the rules denied the kill. That, along with a personal discussion with another who quit before me (he is planning on returning as well), which was mostly complaints about the rules here, is what drove me into leaving.

Well, if I recall correctly, it was more of an argument whether or not the Spartan would have to kill an opponent. Despite a lot of justifying reasons at the time, the rules denied the kill. That, along with a personal discussion with another who quit before me (he is planning on returning as well), which was mostly complaints about the rules here, is what drove me into leaving.

Well, that hasn't changed. The Staff still doesn't want PC heroes killing anybody.

Part of it is a matter of personal taste. The guy who owns the site and pays our bandwidth bills every month doesn't want the game to turn into a 1990s-style slaughterhouse, and most of his Moderators don't want a bloodbath on their hands either.

Now, personally, I have zero problem with superheroes who kill. But I also see the practical concern in a game like this. When you kill off a NPC villain, you also kill off every other story idea any other player or GM will ever have for them. And we feel that the players have put far too much effort into their heroes for it to be fair of us to take them away because of a couple of bad die rolls.

We use the default M&M combat rules here, which means that any and every attack can inflict either lethal or nonlethal damage, chosen at the time of the attack. So (very much by design) PC heroes will almost never be put in the position of having to choose between killing a villain or saving a life. So your character will never "have to" kill someone. No, that isn't "realistic." Neither are Flight or Super-Strength.

There are "acceptable targets" against whom lethal force is considered justified in this game. Examples include the undead, robots, and demons/devils/eldritch abominations. However, you'll note that most of those aren't "alive" as we would define it, and none of them are human.

You're also free to have had The Spartan have killed foes in his past. That's perfectly understandable - he was a soldier, he's been in wars, and it was a different world, a different time. He wouldn't be the only PC hero at FCPBP with blood in his backstory. But we definitely don't want to see him running around slitting throats or chopping off heads in the present.

So yeah, the "no killing" rule is still very much in effect, and it isn't going away any time in the foreseeable future. Plan accordingly.

What other house rules did you have complaints about?

This is sort of belated, which I do apologize for. But it's the week before finals here. I'll probably be online spottily if at all. My bad habit of leaving things to the last minute is now coming back to bite me, but with any luck, I'll be done for good in a few more weeks.

Glad to hear it's nothing terribly serious with the little one.

My next few weekends are going to be tied up; my Mom's getting knee replacement surgery, and I'll be her weekend aid. And her 'net connection's not the best, so what online time I can get will be spotty.

On the upside, I'll get to see my dog :)

Its senior week here. One last big hurrah. I'm spending some quality time with some of my best friends before I risk not seeing them again for a long time. :cry:

In any case, I should have a lot more time to post after this week is over. Not saying I won't be here, just saying it's not my first priority right now. Thanks for understanding :)

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Alder asked me to put this up for her.

Works gone nuts as half the staff in her office is quitting for one reason or another and her direct supervisor left without his full 3 months notice to deal with some personal matters. So needless to say that's been stressful, she's been having panic attacks about many things and getting back on top of stuff here has been one of them I'm gonna try this upcoming weekend to help her get caught up with whats going on here so she's not so overwhelmed by trying to catch up.

Alright Alder asked me to put this up for her.

Works gone nuts as half the staff in her office is quitting for one reason or another and her direct supervisor left without his full 3 months notice to deal with some personal matters. So needless to say that's been stressful, she's been having panic attacks about many things and getting back on top of stuff here has been one of them I'm gonna try this upcoming weekend to help her get caught up with whats going on here so she's not so overwhelmed by trying to catch up.

Oh jeez, sorry to hear life has gotten so stressful for you guys! I hope things approach a degree of normalcy soon.

OK...

This morning, my mother died of liver cancer. So... yeah. The whole family's stunned. Whether I'll still be around or not is up in the air, and my posting will be erratic. Just... whether I'm in Chat, or just lurking, or whatever, I need some space.

Thanks, guys.