Player Away Thread

Barnum

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, sorry for slowing down all my threads. I may have fallen off my bike and I may have broken half the bones in my body doing it. I'll be trying to catch up but I'm typing one handed at best and the fingers on that hand don't quite work the way they're supposed to either so it will be slow going.

Hey guys, sorry for slowing down all my threads. I may have fallen off my bike and I may have broken half the bones in my body doing it. I'll be trying to catch up but I'm typing one handed at best and the fingers on that hand don't quite work the way they're supposed to either so it will be slow going.

I know I'm hoping and praying you have a swift and thorough recovery!

(Also if you were actually wrestling a Drop Bear when this happened, that's cool. We know what Australia's like.)

• 2 weeks later...

So... I've been incommunicado for a while. And you all deserve to know why.

Part of it has been technical issues. I'd moved. I had some problems getting my internet set up, then my computer started dying, then finally died. Activity at work has been ramping up, so I've not been able to steal away to here like I used to.

I got a new computer... and with it realized I could finally play Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. So that's been eating up some time. (Orc Pyromancer, and an Argonian Mage-Thief Werewolf.)

And I got sucked into tumblr.

Part of it has been social issues. I moved b/c I'd separated from my wife, so that was a big upheaval; it got my Anxiety/Depression going for a bit, but I've gotten a better handle on things. When I moved I got two roommates, and (semi-unexpectedly) a third one a few months later. We've all been having fun -- lots of tabletop gaming (mostly Pathfinder) -- so I've been spending less time on my computer. (Also, I've started dating again, a long-distance relationship; we've met once, and are meeting again this weekend. She's expressed an interest in joining the site.)

And started a Dark Ages Vampire game with another group of gamers in the area; I give summaries of it on my tumblr.

I am sorry for being absent. This place has meant a great deal to me, still means a great deal to me, still has a very special place in my heart, and I do wish to continue playing with you all and providing a place where so many excellent stories can be told. I am working on getting back into the swing of things -- I really need to work on getting more ranks in the Time Management skill -- and look forward to seeing you all again in the Chat.

Doc, very good to hear from you!

I am sure everyone here will be glad to hear that things are going well for you. I believe most have been concerned about not knowing what was going on.

RL can sometimes throw you a lot of curveballs at once, so take your time. Look forward to seeing you again soon! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh. Exhausted. Sorry I haven't really been around the last couple of days; currently working doubles to cover for sick coworkers. Tomorrow's gonna be tough, and I don't know if I'll get a chance to catch up on posts afterwards, but Sunday should be better. If there's any threads waiting on me, by all means push forward -- I promise I'll try and catch up everywhere as soon as I'm not so fatigued.

• 2 weeks later...

And my connection seems to have... died.

Now, I am typing this from university, and when I last checked, I was only without Internet for about 12 hours, and the router seems to be keeping the network together. And until I can have a proper look at it, I'm not sure at what end, mine or the ISP's, that my issue is at.

So, in short, I could be missing for a few days, or I could go home from class today and have Internet back. So consider this "Player Away unless he isn't".

So, I have bad news.  The laptop I was using to connect to the site and post with, has died. I do not know yet to the extent it is dead. I may be able to fix it, I may not. There is another computer that ran last I tried to boot it, but it was infected. I can potentially restore it and get another computer up and running. There is a chance, no matter how small, that said computer could be dead completely. There is a chance, no matter how small, that both of my options are dead ends.

In the event that both are dead ends, I cannot post as I have been. I will not disappear entirely, but I will be gone for long stretches, and may eventually disappear completely, as I won't have a computer at home.

I will know more tonight or tomorrow, and will know for sure by next Saturday (that's when my more qualified tech friends will be able to get a look at it)

So, this means that my presence here is...vague. I may or may not vanish all but completely.

I'm telling you this now in case I won't be able to for a while, like a week or more of vanishing. I hope I can get at least one of those computers running and online before too long, but it is possible (though very unlikely) that both systems are simply irretrievably dead, and I have no replacement system at that point.

I hope it isn't, but this may be goodbye

And the fact that you said "walk" implies that you don't have any other mode of transportation (car, bike, etc) available… frump. Well, I hope that your computer problems can be dealt with quickly, conveniently, and inexpensively.

As I'm currently typing this post on the aforementioned PC, all that drama and angst was for naught. This thing is nowhere near ready to rock just yet. I'm having some weird errors, and I'll end up just up and reloading a brand new OS soon, but I can and WILL get this thing up and running in a day or two.

System isn't even that bad. Gig of RAM, 256 MB video card, not great, not bad.

Suffice it to say, I ain't going anywhere just yet