Calling all kids! Superhero Team Needs You!

Barnum

In any case, all of what you're saying looks good. I do like steampunk, but I think I'm going to have to agree with Lilac - perhaps Freedom City itself has enough paranormal type stuff which the regular heroes don't go after because it's too strange or flies under their radar? I'm not adverse to a seperate universe (and I love the description of it being the 'small, shabby looking one' :D ), but I'm not sure these boards are suited to that yet.

That's the real trick . . . finding a way to make this ultimately a Freedom City story, but design the back story so that it feels a little different. A little more "off," a little more "strange." I've got some ideas that I'll post later this evening.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the real trick . . . finding a way to make this ultimately a Freedom City story, but design the back story so that it feels a little different. A little more "off," a little more "strange." I've got some ideas that I'll post later this evening.

Hmm - perhaps 'piercing the veil' isn't a matter of going anywhere, but just a matter of seeing things a little differently? There's supernatural stuff going on all the time which affects our every day lives, but we just don't see it. A young team of superheroes does however. They could easily be brought together by some kind of benefactor who gives them devices with the Super-Sense mechanic which lets them, alone, see behind the veil. Or perhaps, they have these senses naturally? They were born with them or realised they had them after some traumatic event? This would mean the characters would have to be built for this scenario specifically, which isn't a bad thing.

I was also thinking, perhaps, that the children could be orphans, living at the same orphanage and that's how they know each other? But we'll work out more concretes closer to the date.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Hmm - perhaps 'piercing the veil' isn't a matter of going anywhere, but just a matter of seeing things a little differently? There's supernatural stuff going on all the time which affects our every day lives, but we just don't see it. A young team of superheroes does however. They could easily be brought together by some kind of benefactor who gives them devices with the Super-Sense mechanic which lets them, alone, see behind the veil. Or perhaps, they have these senses naturally? They were born with them or realised they had them after some traumatic event? This would mean the characters would have to be built for this scenario specifically, which isn't a bad thing.

I was also thinking, perhaps, that the children could be orphans, living at the same orphanage and that's how they know each other? But we'll work out more concretes closer to the date.

Cos was kinda reading my mind with his post, though my version is a little more “other worldly†than his. Here is what I cooked up last night, but our cable went out, so I didn’t get to post it. Sorry for the delay.

For eons the Terminus, the entropy that flows between the worlds of the mulitverse, has been gnawing away at the ragged edges of our own dimension, and in some places the fabric of our universe has worn thin and thread-bare. For the most part these “thin spots†are harmlessly spread throughout the vast uninhabited wastelands of our universe, going entirely unnoticed by those on either side of the veil. But occasionally these “thin spots†develop in areas of our universe that are inhabited by living creatures. These places where the dimensional walls that protect us from the raw chaos of the Terminus are thinnest allow some bleeding of entropic energy into our dimension. This collision of prime matter, chaos, and life force can have disastrous results. These small leaks of the Terminus into our own universe, if not quickly repaired, can lead to all kinds of cataclysms: the creation of pocket dimensions within our own universe, access to our world by the native creatures of the Terminus, and the greatest cataclysm of all . . . the rift could become large enough to be exploited by the forces of Omega.

About 150 years ago a British scientist named Ichabod Needham first discovered the “entropic energy†from the Terminus that was leaking into our universe, and he began working to build a machine to detect the sources of the leak. He was ultimately successful, but he ended up with something altogether more than he bargained for. The strange fusion of material machinery, living entropy, and the power of his own will present in his laboratory created not just an entropy detector, but a living, thinking, “Infernal Machine.â€Â

For the last 150 years, Needham and his successors have used (or been used by) the Infernal Machine to hunt down the “thin spots†on planet Earth and repair them. Recently, after the Omega invasion, the Infernal Machine has made its way to Freedom City. The damage to our Universe’s protective barriers was especially severe there. But in Freedom City, Needham's successor discovered something unexpected: several uniquely gifted children. These children had lived most of their lives on one of the “thin spots,†and their constant immersion in entropic energy had imbued them with bizarre but substantial powers, uniquely suited for aiding the Infernal Machine in its dangerous quest to protect our universe.

As for character creation, I suggest some really strange powers. We had one kid who could bring his shadow to life. One kid who could turn her arms into long, nasty tentacles. One kid in a wheelchair who had possession and mind control powers. Stuff like that. We also all took the drawback: Power Loss (on each power): Doesn't work outside of the presence of entropic energy. The kids were normal kids until they got to one of the "thin spots" then their powers worked. It made for some interesting adventures.

Cos was kinda reading my mind with his post, though my version is a little more “other worldly†than his. Here is what I cooked up last night, but our cable went out, so I didn’t get to post it. Sorry for the delay.

For eons the Terminus, the entropy that flows between the worlds of the mulitverse, has been gnawing away at the ragged edges of our own dimension, and in some places the fabric of our universe has worn thin and thread-bare. For the most part these “thin spots†are harmlessly spread throughout the vast uninhabited wastelands of our universe, going entirely unnoticed by those on either side of the veil. But occasionally these “thin spots†develop in areas of our universe that are inhabited by living creatures. These places where the dimensional walls that protect us from the raw chaos of the Terminus are thinnest allow some bleeding of entropic energy into our dimension. This collision of prime matter, chaos, and life force can have disastrous results. These small leaks of the Terminus into our own universe, if not quickly repaired, can lead to all kinds of cataclysms: the creation of pocket dimensions within our own universe, access to our world by the native creatures of the Terminus, and the greatest cataclysm of all . . . the rift could become large enough to be exploited by the forces of Omega.

About 150 years ago a British scientist named Ichabod Needham first discovered the “entropic energy†from the Terminus that was leaking into our universe, and he began working to build a machine to detect the sources of the leak. He was ultimately successful, but he ended up with something altogether more than he bargained for. The strange fusion of material machinery, living entropy, and the power of his own will present in his laboratory created not just an entropy detector, but a living, thinking, “Infernal Machine.â€Â

For the last 150 years, Needham and his successors have used (or been used by) the Infernal Machine to hunt down the “thin spots†on planet Earth and repair them. Recently, after the Omega invasion, the Infernal Machine has made its way to Freedom City. The damage to our Universe’s protective barriers was especially severe there. But in Freedom City, Needham's successor discovered something unexpected: several uniquely gifted children. These children had lived most of their lives on one of the “thin spots,†and their constant immersion in entropic energy had imbued them with bizarre but substantial powers, uniquely suited for aiding the Infernal Machine in its dangerous quest to protect our universe.

As for character creation, I suggest some really strange powers. We had one kid who could bring his shadow to life. One kid who could turn her arms into long, nasty tentacles. One kid in a wheelchair who had possession and mind control powers. Stuff like that. We also all took the drawback: Power Loss (on each power): Doesn't work outside of the presence of entropic energy. The kids were normal kids until they got to one of the "thin spots" then their powers worked. It made for some interesting adventures.

A power I had been thinking about was possibly "Ectoplasm Control" which would allow him to physically control spirits and hock big slimey loogies at people.

Another Power Set that interested me was a kid who could eat anything and automatically metabolized it into increased size (getting fatter and fatter) but would slowly "burn it off". When hugely obese he is bigger and tougher and...well rounder. (hence bouncing)

It would look something like this:

----------Powers---------

Matter-Eater {Eat Anything} - Power Rank 6 - Cost 17 (2 * 6 + 5)

Extras: Stomach Storage

Growth {Living Large} - Power Rank 6 - Cost 7 (1 * 6 + 1)

Extras: Linked to Matter Eater

Flaws: Limit: Can only activate ranks equal to Toughness Drained, Fades

Power Feats: Slow Fade

AP: Acid {Barf} - Power Rank 6 - Cost 1 (0 * 6 + 1)

Extras: Range

AP: Strike {Chomp} - Power Rank 6 - Cost 1 (0 * 6 + 1)

Extras: Penetrating

Bouncing {Round Body} - Power Rank 3 - Cost 9 (3 * 3)

Extras: Impact Resistance

Flaws: Limited: Only while Grown

--------------------------------------

edit: I probably will have to edit The strike/bite as he would have to shrink to do it.

A power I had been thinking about was possibly "Ectoplasm Control" which would allow him to physically control spirits and hock big slimey loogies at people.

Another Power Set that interested me was a kid who could eat anything and automatically metabolized it into increased size (getting fatter and fatter) but would slowly "burn it off". When hugely obese he is bigger and tougher and...well rounder. (hence bouncing)

edit: I probably will have to edit The strike/bite as he would have to shrink to do it.

I've gotten a couple of PMs from people with questions. I will answer them here:

1. No, if we do this, this will not be something separate from the regular Freedom City game here. It will be a part of it, albeit a very niche part of it.

2. Yes, you are still limited to 1 PL 10 and 1 PL 6 character, even if you join this game.

3. Yes, it is likely that the characters created for this game will have some difficulty participating in "regular" hero threads with other heroes, because of the limited nature of their powers (if we play the campaign as I have suggested--which certainly isn't necessarily the way we will play).

4. Yes, if you make a hero for this game and later decide that you want to play something else and make a new character, you will have to start over at 90 PPs regardless of many PPs your character for this campaign has earned.

All that said, it may be that such a campaign is too niche for most people on a board like this. If that's what we decide, it won't hurt my feelings. :)

Hope that helps.

I've gotten a couple of PMs from people with questions. I will answer them here:

1. No, if we do this, this will not be something separate from the regular Freedom City game here. It will be a part of it, albeit a very niche part of it.

2. Yes, you are still limited to 1 PL 10 and 1 PL 6 character, even if you join this game.

3. Yes, it is likely that the characters created for this game will have some difficulty participating in "regular" hero threads with other heroes, because of the limited nature of their powers (if we play the campaign as I have suggested--which certainly isn't necessarily the way we will play).

4. Yes, if you make a hero for this game and later decide that you want to play something else and make a new character, you will have to start over at 90 PPs regardless of many PPs your character for this campaign has earned.

All that said, it may be that such a campaign is too niche for most people on a board like this. If that's what we decide, it won't hurt my feelings. :)

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.