PHPBB3 (RC7+)

Barnum

I noticed that your main site was a SMF board and was wondering why you went with PHPBB3 . . . and more importantly, what you think about it?

Our two game forums are both *heavily* modified PHPBB2 boards. I have no plans to update to v.3 until it is out of RC status and some of our more important mods are ported to v.3. I'd love to get your thoughts as the game progresses and you start modifying the boards (as I know you will ;) ).

I noticed that your main site was a SMF board and was wondering why you went with PHPBB3 . . . and more importantly, what you think about it?

Our two game forums are both *heavily* modified PHPBB2 boards. I have no plans to update to v.3 until it is out of RC status and some of our more important mods are ported to v.3. I'd love to get your thoughts as the game progresses and you start modifying the boards (as I know you will ;) ).

I've tried SMF, vBulletin, and pbpBB. All are fine forum software. SMF is the easiest to modify, in my opinion. The original Groovy Gamers used a phpBB 2.0 forum, but I had problems with spam. I switched over to SMF 1.0 for Groovy Gamers II. I think tried vBulletin on my own forum. I decided to go back and try pbpBB on this forum, to see if it was much improved from 2.0. I do think it's easier to admin, so far...

I'll give you more opinions as we move farther along. ;)

I've tried SMF, vBulletin, and pbpBB. All are fine forum software. SMF is the easiest to modify, in my opinion. The original Groovy Gamers used a phpBB 2.0 forum, but I had problems with spam. I switched over to SMF 1.0 for Groovy Gamers II. I think tried vBulletin on my own forum. I decided to go back and try pbpBB on this forum, to see if it was much improved from 2.0. I do think it's easier to admin, so far...

I've never tried vB. I'm too poor. :D When our forum was public and we advertised, we did have trouble with spam, but that was an easy enough fix. With about 30 min worth of modifying (3 small mods), we ended spam for good. Now that the forum is private, it's not a problem at all.

I'm really excited about PHPBB3. I have a fresh install of each RC in my testbed, but it will be awhile before we migrate to it . . . perhaps a good long while.

I've never tried vB. I'm too poor. :D When our forum was public and we advertised, we did have trouble with spam, but that was an easy enough fix. With about 30 min worth of modifying (3 small mods), we ended spam for good. Now that the forum is private, it's not a problem at all.

I'm really excited about PHPBB3. I have a fresh install of each RC in my testbed, but it will be awhile before we migrate to it . . . perhaps a good long while.

Really? I'm not a big fan of the default look of PHPBB3 at all, but that's probably just personal preference. It is certainly not one of those things I am really concerned about. The look and position of the "post bit" is purely a function of the theme/template and can be easily changed. Our rendition of PHPBB2 doesn't look anything like the default layout anyway.

Really? I'm not a big fan of the default look of PHPBB3 at all, but that's probably just personal preference. It is certainly not one of those things I am really concerned about. The look and position of the "post bit" is purely a function of the theme/template and can be easily changed. Our rendition of PHPBB2 doesn't look anything like the default layout anyway.