Dark Star

Cyroa

Introduction

- Give a two or three word description of yourself. (Describe your character's concept.)

Living dark star

- Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

‘DL’ to my old friends. ‘DS’ is a nickname I don’t mind for my super identity. ‘Spaceman’ drives me nuts.

- What is your full birth name?

Derrick Sebastian Lumins

- Where do you live?

A nice little 2 bedroom apartment on the 5th floor. Nothing fancy but more than adequate considering how little I’m there.

- Why do you live there?

It’s a nice place? Not there too much but I wanted something nice enough that when I feel the need, I can actually bring company over. And the neighborhood is nice enough that no one is likely to break in when I’m not there for days at a time.

- What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

Hmm…That’s a tough one. While I’ve got power and all that, I don’t think that’s my greatest strength. I would have to say…My drive to what what’s right, my ‘moral compass’ combined with my sunny outlook and general upbeat personality is my greatest strength

- What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

Easy. My inexperience.

Physical Traits

- How old are you? (Chronological age as well as age category.)

Technically, I’m 46, though I stopped aging when I was in my mid 20s.

- What is your sex?

Male

- What is your race?

Human

- How tall are you?

5’11â€Â

- How much do you weigh?

160 lbs

- What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

Lean, very healthy looking, relaxed

- What is your skin colour?

Very light tan

- What is your hair colour?

Dirty blonde

- What is your hair style?

Short but neat

- Do you have any facial hair?

Nope.

- What is your eye colour?

Brown

- How attractive are you?

Average

- What is your most distinguishing feature?

When I’m not Dark Star? Hmm. Don’t think I have any. Pretty average. Maybe the fact that I’m healthier/more toned than most folks?

- Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

Nope

- What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

Left

- Do you resemble some currently known person?

Nope, least not that I know of.

- What kind of clothing do you wear?

Relaxed. Generally jeans, a t-shirt with a button up shirt thrown on top.

- Do you wear makeup?

Nope

- What sort of vocal tone do you have?

Humorous

History

- Where is your homeland?

US

- Are you aware of its history?

Oh yes. Probably not too well of course. Never really studied it mind you but I know some. I’m always interested in learning more.

- Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

Patriot all the way.

- What are your opinions of home?

Home is where the heart is. Might sound corny but it’s true. There’s nothing like coming home.

- Where is your home town?

Little Field, Arkansas. Though I moved to Freedom City (we lived in the suburbs) when I was like 5 or something.

- Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?

Nope. I’m a rather honest person actually.

- How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

I would risk a lot. But someone’s life is not really worth that secret in my opinion. If it became know? Ugh…I’d have to find a way to make sure my family was safe. That would have to come first before me taking care of myself.

- What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

That something would happen to people I care about because of me.

- Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

Pretty average I think. I used to be above average. You know, played some intermural sports for fun. I used to use my mind a lot, studying science and such. But 20 years of disuse hasn’t helped. I’ve started working out and practicing more so hopefully it’ll start coming back.

- How have these scores affected your life so far?

Not too much honestly. Since my ‘change’ I haven’t done much but fly around the galaxy, reveling in my powers and practicing using them.

- What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

Majority

- Did this impact your outlook in any way?

I suppose.

- How do you feel about other races?

At first, I was a little freaked (and made more than a few mistakes because of it). Now I’m really open minded about it.

- Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Not really. I had a pretty happy childhood all around really.

- Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

When I was kid, my dad took me to the science museum. Inside, there were so many things that were simply amazing. I stayed there till closing, fascinating. It sparked and fueled my curiosity which I still have to this day.

- What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Oh dear. The usual I suppose. Nothing outside of the ordinary teenage foolishness.

- Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

Sadly, nothing. I was gone for so long, pretty much everything was cleaned/thrown out.

- Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?

I didn’t keep any as I said. I would like to have some of them back. Like the watch my father gave me. Or my first science kit. My comic collection! Ah well, nothing I can do about it I suppose.

- Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Hmm. Outside of who I am and how I got this way, not really.

- Are you who you claim to be?

Yes. I do have a secret identity but that’s not the same thing.

- Do you have any sort of criminal record?

No

- How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

Some good, some bad. Some though…They are the ideal that I strive for. They are my heroes to this day.

Family

- Who were your parents?

Richard and Mary Lumins

- Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

Yes, they were great

- What was their standing in the community?

Average middle class folks I suppose.

- Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We moved to Freedom City when I was little but after that not really.

- How did you get along with their parents?

Fine. I had a couple of those ‘teenage moment’ where we didn’t get along but I grew out of them thankfully.

- How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.

Mother: Such a nice boy. He is very smart and such a hard worker. He’s a real cutie pie. Probably doesn’t get out as much as he should but his intelligence will take him far, I just know it!

Father: Bookish. Good kid. Hard worker. Won the science fair when he was in 6th grade. Damn near blew up our garage. Still have a stain on the ceiling in there.

- Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

One brother, Mark. He was older by several years. Definitely a jock. He always looked out for me.

- What was your birth position in the family?

youngest of two kids.

- List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

Alison – Sister-in-law. She’s 50 now.

Maria – Niece. She’s 12.

Justin – Nephew. He’s 10.

We only recently reunited. Alison knows that I’m Dark Star. It was part of the long talk we had. The kids don’t know. Their just too young. To them, I’m just a old friend/long lost family member though I get called ‘Uncle’ still.

- Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I do try to visit them, or at least call them once a week at the least. Alison was more than a little shocked and upset at me at first but we’ve worked it out. I help out however I can.

- Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Not really

- Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

My dad was like my mentor but he’s been gone a long time.

- Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

Not really. We have a small family.

- Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

Not really. My dad told great stories to us though most were just random people or heroes or stuff.

- Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

Yes I do. That’s part of why I maintain a secret identity.

- Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

Hmm, not sure. It’s something I would really like to have one day. Maybe if my being with them put them in harm’s way. I couldn’t risk it if that was the case.

- What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Someone funny. Someone I could talk to. And of course someone who would understand me and I could trust with my secret.

Relationships

- Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

Not really. The ones I used to have I’ve sort of grown apart from given how long it’s been. I am trying to improve that though. I do have some friends but not sure if they qualify as close. There are some of the Lor that I know pretty well.

- What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?

Friends and co-workers for most of them. A bunch I’ve known since we were in Elementary or High School. The Lor I kind of met up and had a few adventures with while I was out there.

- Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

I…don’t think so. I’d like to but not sure we’re back to that yet. Working on it though.

- Do you have any bitter enemies?

Maybe the Grue. Those guys really piss me off. I’ve messed around here and there and pissed some races off (sometimes accidently) but I’ve tried to fix and atone for my screw ups.

- If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

Alien shape changers. Constantly trying to take over. Completely fanatical a-holes. I kind of messed up some of their plans over the years. Some were total accidents, others were deliberate. But I don’t regret a single one of them. They need to be stopped.

- Have you defeated them before?

Bunch of times. Sometimes by wrecking their plans, sometimes by actually fighting them or their ships.

- How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

They’d probably love to kill me. But finding me and keeping up with me is hard and they know it. It doesn’t come up much here on Earth. But I do go back out there occasionally.

- Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

Loyal to my family and friends of course. Beyond that? The ideals and beliefs of this country. Same goes for the Freedom League and the Star Knights.

- Who is your most trusted ally?

Not sure I have one really. Not quite sure.

- Who do you trust, in general?

Heroes. They stand for something. Might be a little idealistic of me but that’s the way it is.

- Who do you despise and why? Name seven things you hate in others.

People who lie, cheat, steal. Those who would hurt, abuse, torture and enslave others.

- Is your image consistent?

I like to think so, yes.

- Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

No. I am not the dishonest type. There might be times when my emotions influence me to one degree or another but that’s about it.

- What would you die for?

An innocent. The ideals I believe in.

- What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Betrayal. When I was rather naïve about certain things, someone who I thought was a friend once stole some of my ideas and presented them as their own.

- What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

Besides flirting? Spending time with them? Perhaps ask them out? Not sure how much dating has changed in the last couple decades…

- How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class?

Pretty well. I’m a rather fun loving, easy going guy.

- Have you lost any loves?

True loves? No. Lost some puppy love kind of things of course. Not terminally. Just normal life events.

- How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?

Heh. I pined and moped around for weeks or something I think. It was pretty pathetic I bet. But I grew up like everyone does.

- Who would miss you should you go missing?

My family, the friends I have begun to make.

- How close are you to your adventuring companions?

As of yet, I don’t really have any…

- Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement?

Nope.

Personality & Beliefs

- Do you, or did you, have any role models? Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

When I was a kid or now? Back then I suppose I looked up to the heroes but in a more idealistic way. Scientist, explorers and pioneers were also important to me. Now? Then a definite yes. Heroes like the Star Knights or those in the Freedom Force.

- Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Not really. That’s why they are my idols and heroes.

- When did you decide to become an adventurer?

Well…I could say that when I woke up different. But that wouldn’t really be true. It wasn’t till I kept butting heads out there with those who were causing troubles that I started making the choice. Meeting up with Daedalus and the Star Knights solidified that decision.

- Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

Because it needs to be done. There are lots of threats out there. Those who can stand up to them should do so. As I am now one of those that can, I must or would not be true to my own beliefs.

- What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

Besides the good that I can do? Probably just to have fun and enjoy myself. I’m not sure…

- Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

I would love to be a true hero like the Star Knights or those in the Freedom force.

- What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Practice. Try and not make mistakes that put someone else’s life at risk. I want to be a hero.

- What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Be one of those top-tier heroes. Join them.

- Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

Not really. I’m not really afraid of things. To curios and up-beat I suppose.

- What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

It doesn’t matter much really. I have enough for the basics and I don’t really need more. Given the mass of wealth out among the stars and what I could do, it wouldn’t take a lot of effort on my part to become wealthy. I simply don’t need that much.

- Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

I spend it freely. I do save a little here and there of course, for the future and gifts and the like.

- Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

It’s just a means to an end.

- How do you generally treat others?

With respect. I joke around quite a bit I admit. But I treat people fairly.

- Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

A little of both. I probably trust heroes a little too easily I admit. But I don’t trust anyone really with the big secrets.

- Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

More outgoing than withdrawn I suppose. Especially as Dark Star.

- Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

Humble. Probably a little overconfident but I’m not a braggart or overly proud.

- What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

Attitude and disrespect maybe? Some tend to be a lot more violent than I’d prefer.

- What are your most annoying habits?

Depends on who you ask I’d think. Perhaps my relaxed and humorous attitudes?

- Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

Fanatics. Of anything I suppose. Annoys the hell outta me. They can’t or won’t simply acknowledge that anything exists outside of their narrow, close-minded viewpoints. Drives me nuts.

- What is your favourite food?

Good old fashion American backyard barbeque food. Man, I had no idea how much I loved and missed that till I came home.

- What is your favourite drink?

Beer, or maybe lemonade.

- What is your favourite treat (desert)?

My mom’s homemade apple pie.

- Do you favour a particular cuisine?

Not particularly

- Do you savor the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?

I don’t really need to eat much anymore. So when I do, I tend to savor it.

- Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

A mix. I’m pretty flexible on this one.

- Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

I don’t particularly like Lima Beans or Brussel Sprouts but I’d still eat them. I tend to be rather picky when I eat these days though since I don’t do it that often.

- What are your favourite colour(s)?

Blue. With green being a close second.

- Is there any colour that you dislike?

Not really.

- Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

I used to hate country music, but now I don’t mind it so much. I find this new stuff, ‘rap’ I think it’s called, to be really annoying and unpleasant.

- If you have a favourite scent, what is it?

- What is your favourite type of animal?

Dogs. I used to love them when I was a kid. Haven’t had one in years and I kind of miss that.

- Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

Not that I know of.

- Is there anything that enrages you?

That sets me off without thinking? No. I’m too controlled for that. But there are certainly things that really piss me off. (see above)

- Is there anything which embarrasses you?

Screwing up. Acting like a moron. I hate doing that.

- Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I like the comforts, yes. But more often than not, I do without and like it that way.

- Do you have a patron deity?

Not really. I’m agnostic. Sort of. I mean, I understand there’s a slew of actual deities out there. But I don’t pray to them specifically.

- Are you devout or impious?

I’m devout to my beliefs. Not religion.

- Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?

Neither. I’m not religious.

- What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

For my belief’s I’d do to almost any lengths. But that’s not the same. For my religion? Well, since I don’t really have one, I wouldn’t go that far for it.

- Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Science.

- Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

neither

- Will you kill?

I don’t like doing it. I’ve had to kill a few, aliens mostly. Notably the Grue. But even then I really would rather find another way.

- When did you decide (or learn) that you would?

In order to save or protect lives.

- When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

When innocent lives are in danger and there is literally no other way. As harsh as it sounds, sometimes the greater good must take priority.

- When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?

Almost all the time. To me, killing is a bad thing. People who kill just out of violence or negligence or vengeance are not the good guys.

- What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

I’d do my best to stop them.

- What if it were your enemy?

No difference, though I probably wouldn’t give them a lot of time or chances and likely would be pretty heavy handed about it.

- What if it were your friend?

I’d still try and stop them though I’d likely be a lot gentler and attempt to convince them more.

- What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

Then it wasn’t really their fault. I’d still try and stop them of course.

- What would you do if something were stolen from you?

Depending on what it was, maybe just a police report. But most likely, I’d try to find it.

- What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

Maybe respond. Maybe not care. Maybe talk with that person privately. Hard to say.

- What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

Look to bring their killer to justice.

- What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Sperm Collector at the Zoo. That’s just wrong! Seriously though? Not sure. So many things depend on the situation.

- What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Geneocide, murder, slavery…there’s so many to pick from.

- How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?

A little distrustful? It depends on the people. Many are politicians are those just interested in power; and not really concerned with helping people. I think the government and it’s officials should serve the needs of the people and provide for the greater good.

- Do you support the current government of your homeland?

Yes

- If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

As long as the government stays true to it’s ideals, I’d lay down my life for those same ideas.

- What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

Democracy. So far it seems to have worked well. The others tend to fluctuate depending on who is in power. Democracy, with its checks and balances, avoids that. It isn’t perfect by any means but it has great potential.

- Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

Besides liking to joke around and have fun? My strength of beliefs maybe. I’m also a rather curious person. But I don’t think that qualifies as unusual or anything.

- Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

Nope

- What is your most treasured possession?

I don’t really have ‘stuff’ but I’d value my memories and my friends and family and my ideals more than anything.

- If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

Hmm… I’d have a great steak dinner. Spend some time with my sister-in-law and her kids. Spend some time with some friends. Ask a beautiful woman on a date. Have some rather intimate relations. Then finally, I’d find the biggest and most evil bad guy and make a run on him, no holds barred.

Career & Training

- Where and how were you educated?

I was sent to Bishop Hendricken High School, an all boys catholic school for all of high school. I went to college at Berkley University.

- Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

Um…no one. I’m was kind of dropped into this and still have quite a lot to learn.

- What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

My scholastic teachers? Not sure I had a mentor per se. But there were certainly some that I like and respected more than others. Berkley was filled with some rather knowledgeable people but I didn’t really have a mentor. When I was out there, I did have some people that I formed a bond with, a friendship. One in particular would be Kellac Re’nar.

- Is this person or institution still in existence?

Kellac? He was when I last saw him, about a month or two before I returned to Earth.

- Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

In school? I was an excellent student. Worked my butt off. Now I work just as hard to learn things, but for different reasons.

- Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

My science and investigation skills I learned at school. I’ve always been a little observant though that has gotten better recently. Same goes for my concentration. I learned diplomacy along with my fluency in Lor and Grue from Kellac. He’s a Lor himself. I met him after wandering around for more than a little while. We had some interesting adventures. He helped get me back on the right path.

- Have you ever done anything else for a living?

I was a lab assistant and scientist once upon a time.

- How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?

I’m not too good actually. I tend to zip around, blasting or altering the gravity to incapacitate the combatants. I’m training to get better at it but I acknowledge that I need to practice a lot.

- Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Not locally, at least not in the last few decades. I was honored a few times by various Lor officials for helping them out here and there.

- Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

Outside of my powers and related topics? Hmm. There is so much I’d like to know. I’m a curious person. History, technology, sciences, learning and seeing different places. There is so much to see and learn.

- Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

Envious but in a good way. I long ago came to terms with that sort of thing.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

- When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?

I don’t really have much of a routine currently. It tends to change quite a bit really. Since I don’t have a traditional job when I’m not being Dark Star, it frees up a lot of time. I only spend about half of my time not being Dark Star actually.

- How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

Fine. If helps not having a routine to interrupt.

- What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?

- What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

I enjoy watching movies. All kinds. I’ve missed out on two decades of culture so I’ve got plenty to keep me busy. I also enjoy reading a great deal. I tend to split my time between going out and being social, with watching movies and with reading. Like watching movies and such, there are some truly fascinating written works out there. Then there’s the numerous scientific journals that I like to read. And let’s not forgot about the Internet! Man that’s impressive!

- How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?

I commonly dress in sneakers, slacks/jeans, a tucked in t-shirt with button-up shirt worn over it.

- What do you normally wear in bed at home?

A pair of shorts

- What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

I don’t sleep while I’m out as Dark Star.

- Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?

Nope, never felt the need. Oh and being an insubstantial energy being makes that kind of difficult.

- Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

I don’t actually have any of those things. Though if I did, I’d probably have to buy a safe of some kind for my place.

- What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

As I said before, I don’t really have much in the way of routines. However, when I get to sleep, I really enjoy it. Getting out of bed is a slow affair and takes me a while, barring emergencies of course. In the evenings when I’m human, I do enjoy going and being social. Clubs, relaxed bars and such are pretty common though I seldom drink.

- Do these change when you are adventuring?

Oh yes. As Dark Star, I don’t really get to do any of those things though I still do try to be social and have fun. It’s just harder.

- Travel: how do you get around locally?

In human form? If it’s close, I walk. Otherwise I take a cab or other vehicle.

- Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

It was already executed, yes. I haven’t been back long enough to need another one. But as soon as I do, I’ll have to have one written up.

- What does it say?

I left my various possessions to my brother. It has long since been executed and they sold or got rid of everything years ago. Can’t blame them. I was gone a long time.

Miscellaneous

- What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

As a good man. A hero. Someone who did what they could to make the world, or farther, a better place and succeeded.

- What kind of threat do you present to the public?

None. I’m here to help however I can. My powers could be dangerous yes, but I would never use them in such a way.

- If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Sadly no. Likely, when I die my body will simply break up and disperse it’s component energies.

- As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Cyroa: Rely on your brains, not your powers. Think things through more. And when it comes down to it, trust your gut and not logic.

• 1 month later...

Dark Star floated near the terminous of the sun destrucive energy. He was jsut at the edge where it became uncomfortable to him. He'd only be there for a short while. It was his own way of 'toughening' his energy form up. He'd only been back on Earth, in Freedom City, for a short while. But in that time, he'd encountered quite a few hostile attacks that seemed quite strong. He needed to toughen himself up for future conflicts if this was going to be the norm. This seemed a simple method. Besides, he promised the folks over at the SCC that he'd take some detail readings for them...

DS looked at the recorder and with a little telekinetic nudge flipped the one switch. “Ok, this is recording 21 for the SCC. As per standard procedure, I’m recording this on multiple recordings to detail various accounts of my travels. Specifically, this is dealing with my first encounter with the Lor and subsequently the Grue…â€Â

I flew through the void, the distance between stars crossed in moments. I had been travelling for over ten years at this point, though didn’t realize it then. My speed was pretty close to what it is now though my other powers were not nearly as developed. I was simply more interested in exploring the universe than practicing.

I’d visited thousands of worlds, at the least, by then. There was always something so new, so fascinating just around the next star. I was mostly on the far side of the galaxy before this. I’d met multiple species, observed even more, but didn’t communicate with too many up till then. And those that I did talk with were able to bridge the language barrier in one way or another. I hadn’t really encountered any massive star empires yet. A few systems maybe, but nothing like you’d read in science fiction with empires massing hundreds of systems. There were plenty of places I missed of course, countless places still to see, so they could still be there…

Anyway, I was slowly, if somewhat randomly making a circuit of the galaxy when I first encountered the Lor. They were so human looking, it threw me at first. It was this frontier planet of theirs. Something with mining a rare mineral I think. Breathable atmosphere but rather unpleasant environment. Big storms, rocky. Not a lot of plant life. It sure wasn’t a paradise planet. Remind me to tell you of some of those later!

Where was I? Right, the Lor. Honestly, I was feeling a little lonely at this point. And seeing the oh-so-human-looking Lor drove that home for me. I ended up floating down and set about introducing myself. It wasn’t easy, believe me. It took a little effort and a fortuitous accident before they were willing to stop treating me like some kind of space monster.

Anyway, so I’m floating down and, since I’m visible, of course they start panicking and getting nervous. These were just regular folks; miners mostly. A bunch of them ran off to get help I guess. There was a panic and one of them must have bumped a switch or something. This giant crane/drill thing they were using suddenly spun off and slashed right through this big warehouse. Explosions and chaos followed.

It started with some reinforcements showing up and blasting away at me with this little energy pistols while others tried to help the minors. I couldn’t communicate and try to would have taken too long. Luckily the little blaster pistols didn’t do anything to me. Turns out they were some old or cheap versions (* Refer to 4C for more detailed accounts on the various power levels of their technology). I mostly ignored them and tried to help.

I wasn’t too good at the small stuff at that point but just moving big things was easy enough. I spent a few minutes clearing debris. Moved that big crane-drill off to the side before moving the debris. Whatever was in that warehouse wasn’t the most stable of substances. It took me a bit to a make sure I had gotten everyone too. Thankfully they had stopped shooting me at this point and did their best to help.

Once I had found everyone, I went around making sure I healed everyone up. That took some effort too. They weren’t exactly trusting and since I basically had to touch them, it was a tad awkward. Language was still a serious barrier but helping out by healing a few of them went a long way to building some trust. Not a lot, but it was a start.

Well, I spent a few months there, learning the basics of the language as I helped them mine and whatnot. Kind of my way of paying them pack for screwing things up. Met a few good people and made some friends. Maybe not boon companions but they were good guys. I found out later that the months I spent there, they had record profits. Some of those guys did pretty well for themselves. Good for them. I should go back and visit them at some point…

((part 2))

Anyway, I’d been there for a few months, I’d lost track of time again, when a ship came in with their regular supplies and to transport the minerals out. It had a happened a few times before while I was there.

However, this time someone was on it. He was an older man, called J’hdar. He was some kind of investigator official. Apparently word of my presence and arrival had filtered back so they sent someone out to check up after a while. He was a tough and crafty fellow, no question, and despite his middle age he could certainly hold his own. By now I had a handle of the basics of the language so that wasn’t a big barrier. J’hdar was a good fellow and became a good friend. I spent a lot of time with him and he became one of my main contacts within the Lor Empire.

But at that point, I was an unknown and possible threat to the Empire. We sat down and talked for quite a while. He spent a week there, interview the workers and myself. I kept quiet about Earth, not quite ready to tell where I was from. (Not that it mattered since it turned out he already knew.) Finally, he was returning to report in. He offered give me a lift and show me a b it of the Empire. I accepted obviously.

While I could have beat his ship to it’s destination many times over, I flew inside with for the company. While I missed flying through the stars, I wasn’t quite ready to return to my solitary explorations. And it turns out, if I hadn’t, there was a good chance J’hdar and his ship would have never returned.

Anyway, we stopped at multiple planets along the way. Not sure exactly how long it took. Maybe 3 or 4 weeks all told? I learned a lot of the Empire, quite a bit really. J’hdar was picking up various sensitive materials before bringing them home. I never did find out exactly what they were. But whatever it was, it was important.

Turns out, one of the crew was a mole. His gravitic signature was different from the others but it wasn’t like I knew what it meant. There were lots of aliens out there. That this one was different didn’t cause any alarm to me. Anyway, we were about to leave the fringes and head inwards. There was a malfunction with the hyperdrive, sabotage it turned out.

There were 3 other ships just waiting with boarders close to docking when our ship slowed down to normal speed and drifted along. It wasn’t exactly a leap to figure on a spy on board. Especially when they started demanding we turn over everything of value and surrender. A trap obviously. Our ship wasn’t tough enough to take on the other 3, even though they weren’t heavy warships or anything. Just mercenary pirates basically. And we weren’t big enough to be a merchant either I was told.

Down in our hold, the saboteur was already trying to get access to the materials with a bunch of pirates. J’hdar and his guards headed down to try and stop them with me in tow. J’hdar and his men were tough characters. But they were badly outnumbered. But given my presence, things went much better for them. We took care of them in no time, the pirates retreating to their ships. J’hdar captured the spy as I flew out to help deal with the pirate ships.

They might have been tough, but when I’m standing on their engine, they couldn’t exactly do much to shoot at me. It wasn’t easy obviously, but I have quite a bit of power. But I didn’t want to kill anyone; I ended up just taking out their various weapons. In no time, the pirates were running.

It turns out they had been hired by some other alien to ambush us, never really knowing what was going on. Our saboteur was a Grue. A shapeshifter. And a minor one at that. He didn’t exactly know the details either; he claimed he was just a pirate. J’hdar suspected that the employer was also Grue and the whole thing was set up for the Grue to get the stuff in our hold without setting off a larger conflict. Aliens use plausible deniability too.

That’s how the Grue work. Secrets within Secrets. Plots within plots. Basically, they’re sneaky. Combined with their advanced technology, it makes them a real threat obviously. The Lor are advanced too. But they aren’t nearly as aggressive or militaristic as the Grue.

“Anyway…that was my first encounter with the Lor and Grue. Certainly wasn’t the last. Further recordings will expand upon subsequent encounters. End recording.â€Â