Tech Terrors!

Barnum

"Though I would imagine it could have also been done mundanely, it just lingers as a possibility."

Ms. Loafman rubbed her temples. "I'm not sure which I find more disturbing, that our attacker has the ability to make teleports so precise that he can install equipment with them, or that our attacker can manually install equipment in our facilities without our detecting him. Neither is a very pleasing prospect."

The elevator stopped on the 8th floor, but the door didn't open.

"Excuse me."

Ms. Loafman leaned over in front of the Emissary and put her thumb on the innocuous-looking black plate just below the "emergency stop" button. The panel flashed for a second and then the doors opened. The Ms. Loafman stepped off the elevator into a very busy control room. ASTRO Lab techs were working frantically, trying to analyze every piece of data they had collected.

"Where's my report?" Loafman barked.

A man with long sideburns and a thin face looked up over his computer screen. "Five minutes," he said.

Loafman looked for a moment like she might jump across the bank of computers and rip his head off with her bare hands, but the look quickly passed and she turned to the Emissary. "You drink coffee?"

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Though I would imagine it could have also been done mundanely, it just lingers as a possibility."

Ms. Loafman rubbed her temples. "I'm not sure which I find more disturbing, that our attacker has the ability to make teleports so precise that he can install equipment with them, or that our attacker can manually install equipment in our facilities without our detecting him. Neither is a very pleasing prospect."

The elevator stopped on the 8th floor, but the door didn't open.

"Excuse me."

Ms. Loafman leaned over in front of the Emissary and put her thumb on the innocuous-looking black plate just below the "emergency stop" button. The panel flashed for a second and then the doors opened. The Ms. Loafman stepped off the elevator into a very busy control room. ASTRO Lab techs were working frantically, trying to analyze every piece of data they had collected.

"Where's my report?" Loafman barked.

A man with long sideburns and a thin face looked up over his computer screen. "Five minutes," he said.

Loafman looked for a moment like she might jump across the bank of computers and rip his head off with her bare hands, but the look quickly passed and she turned to the Emissary. "You drink coffee?"

He looked for a moment as if he was going to say something, then stopped.

"I will not mention the other possiblities that have occured to me then. They are also.. ahm.. disconcerting."

"Sometimes! Though my synthetic metabolism never seems to allow me to experience the hyperactivity of caffeine, which, I don't know, I feel as though I am missing out on a crucial part of the experience.."

"I will not mention the other possiblities that have occured to me then. They are also.. ahm.. disconcerting."

"Sometimes! Though my synthetic metabolism never seems to allow me to experience the hyperactivity of caffeine, which, I don't know, I feel as though I am missing out on a crucial part of the experience.."

"Well, now's not the time for keeping things to yourself. I need to hear everything."

Loafman walked the Emissary over to a small alcove off the control room and poured them both a cup of black coffee.

"You're missing out on the best part." Loafman watched the Emissary carefully, waiting for his additional thoughts on the teleporting technology. She look like a very impatient person who trying, painfully, to remain calm.

"Well, now's not the time for keeping things to yourself. I need to hear everything."

Loafman walked the Emissary over to a small alcove off the control room and poured them both a cup of black coffee.

"You're missing out on the best part." Loafman watched the Emissary carefully, waiting for his additional thoughts on the teleporting technology. She look like a very impatient person who trying, painfully, to remain calm.

He sighs.

"Well.. it is also possible, if your systems are otherwise exceptionally efficacious, that this was then done by someone entirely familliar with them, and would thus know how to get around or bypass them. Which is to say, a current or former employee.."

"Ahm. Please do not now attempt to mangle me as you seem to wish to do to those computers and their technician. For all I know, you can, and I am fond of the shape of my head as it stands."

He sighs.

"Well.. it is also possible, if your systems are otherwise exceptionally efficacious, that this was then done by someone entirely familliar with them, and would thus know how to get around or bypass them. Which is to say, a current or former employee.."

"Ahm. Please do not now attempt to mangle me as you seem to wish to do to those computers and their technician. For all I know, you can, and I am fond of the shape of my head as it stands."

He sighs.

Loafman smiled over her coffee cup. She clearly enjoyed the role of "hard-nosed security officer."

"If it was an inside job, any manipulation of our systems would have had to have happened in this room, and this room is always monitored by security." Loafman pointed out all of the ceiling mounted cameras to the Emissary. "Our security teams are reviewing personnel records just in case.

Ms. Loafman looked lost in thought for a moment and then . . .

"CARTER! My report?"

The thin-faced man with the sideburns began typing furiously. "I'm sending it to your terminal now."

Ms. Loafman turned back to the Emissary. "Follow me, please." And then she began heading back toward the elevator.

Loafman smiled over her coffee cup. She clearly enjoyed the role of "hard-nosed security officer."

"If it was an inside job, any manipulation of our systems would have had to have happened in this room, and this room is always monitored by security." Loafman pointed out all of the ceiling mounted cameras to the Emissary. "Our security teams are reviewing personnel records just in case.

"CARTER! My report?"

The thin-faced man with the sideburns began typing furiously. "I'm sending it to your terminal now."

Ms. Loafman turned back to the Emissary. "Follow me, please." And then she began heading back toward the elevator.

"CARTER! My report?"

"Hopefully then it was just excessively dour speculation on my part."

"Maybe . . . but better safe than sorry."

Loafman took the Emissary on another elevator ride, this time to one of the upper floors. Ms. Loafman had a nicely apportioned corner office. Once she was sitting at her desk and the Emissary was sitting in a leather office chair across from her, she began reading the report.

"Well this is unfortunate. There are no immediate signs of tampering with our systems." Loafman looked up at the Emissary and quickly added, "But a more rigorous security audit is in progress." Back to the report. "After a preliminary diagnostic, the sensor equipment is functioning properly. The sensor record is almost completely clear, with only one reoccurring anomalous reading until you guys arrived. The anomaly is a mild fluctuation in high-band radio waves. No alarm was sounded, because it's so innocuous . . . a misaligned antenna could cause it." She looked up. "That's all we've got for now. We'll contact the League once our final analysis is done." Loafman stood up. "Do you need me to walk you out?"

Loafman took the Emissary on another elevator ride, this time to one of the upper floors. Ms. Loafman had a nicely apportioned corner office. Once she was sitting at her desk and the Emissary was sitting in a leather office chair across from her, she began reading the report.

"Well this is unfortunate. There are no immediate signs of tampering with our systems." Loafman looked up at the Emissary and quickly added, "But a more rigorous security audit is in progress." Back to the report. "After a preliminary diagnostic, the sensor equipment is functioning properly. The sensor record is almost completely clear, with only one reoccurring anomalous reading until you guys arrived. The anomaly is a mild fluctuation in high-band radio waves. No alarm was sounded, because it's so innocuous . . . a misaligned antenna could cause it." She looked up. "That's all we've got for now. We'll contact the League once our final analysis is done." Loafman stood up. "Do you need me to walk you out?"

"That is all actually quite helpful, thank you for it. If you could send the measurements, recordings and the like of that fluctuation to Daedelus particularly, he may be able to use it to help track who has done this, and see if similar low grade disruptions accompanied the previous instances. It would confirm if they are related."

He rose to his feet.

"I can see my own way out if you prefer. I would not wish to be a bother."

And either in her company or not, he makes his way out of Astro Labs.

"That is all actually quite helpful, thank you for it. If you could send the measurements, recordings and the like of that fluctuation to Daedelus particularly, he may be able to use it to help track who has done this, and see if similar low grade disruptions accompanied the previous instances. It would confirm if they are related."

He rose to his feet.

He rose to his feet.